Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should they hold contests to determine future sims 4 packs?

What if, instead of having surveys, they held actual contests to see which sims 4 packs they should release in the future? Maybe each contestant can enter up to 2 or 3 ideas for a future pack, and the pack(s) that come in the highest place(s) are chosen (or have the highest chances of being chosen) for future packs.

Comments

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't think it'd matter to be honest. So far I haven't seen any of the content from the surveys show up for our games except maybe this city one upcoming. I can't remember though if it was on a survey or not now.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I don't think it'd matter to be honest. So far I haven't seen any of the content from the surveys show up for our games except maybe this city one upcoming. I can't remember though if it was on a survey or not now.

It's a mixture of two or three if I'm remembering rightly.

@111sungirl111 it won't make much, if any difference. They'll still make what they make.
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    No, they shouldn't. The vocal internet players are not the majority, as evidenced by the massive success of the bestselling Sims 4 series. Every pack would end up being "TODDLERS!!!" and it would turn off the important casual audience, who only want to play a fun party-based environment and not boring, smelly toddlers.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    People who go into game design and development are creative people. Let them be creative.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,243 Member
    People who go into game design and development are creative people. Let them be creative.

That is a matter of opinion
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited October 2016

The first part? That's not so much opinion as fact. It's very hard to get into the business; demonstration of creativity is a basic part of getting in. My son's looking at post-high school training to get him partway to working in gaming. The program he's most interested in asks for a background that includes programming and art, as well as history and/or philosophy and/or languages and/or classical civilization and/or... Another program requires an extensive portfolio, representing many kinds of creative output, with the options ranging from game mods to sculpture. Every program requires an actual game proposal: one you came up with, not one someone else came up with for you. After that, for getting a job? He'll need a strong portfolio... of things that he did, using his own creativity.

As for the other part, yes, that is exactly my opinion. I work with creative people: it's what I do for a living. They don't do their best work when it's just typing up someone else's laundry list. Their best work happens when they're permitted to use the creativity that got them there in the first place.

I want my game to represent these people's best work. And that is my opinion, based on my years of personal experience in the creative sector.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,243 Member

The first part? That's not so much opinion as fact. It's very hard to get into the business; demonstration of creativity is a basic part of getting in. My son's looking at post-high school training to get him partway to working in gaming. The program he's most interested in asks for a background that includes programming and art, as well as history and/or philosophy and/or languages and/or classical civilization and/or... Another program requires an extensive portfolio, representing many kinds of creative output, with the options ranging from game mods to sculpture. Every program requires an actual game proposal: one you came up with, not one someone else came up with for you. After that, for getting a job? He'll need a strong portfolio... of things that he did, using his own creativity.

As for the other part, yes, that is exactly my opinion. I work with creative people: it's what I do for a living. They don't do their best work when it's just typing up someone else's laundry list. Their best work happens when they're permitted to use the creativity that got them there in the first place.

I want my game to represent these people's best work. And that is my opinion, based on my years of personal experience in the creative sector.

Oh sorry I misread it
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2016
    No, they shouldn't. The vocal internet players are not the majority, as evidenced by the massive success of the bestselling Sims 4 series. Every pack would end up being "TODDLERS!!!" and it would turn off the important casual audience, who only want to play a fun party-based environment and not boring, smelly toddlers.

Toddlers don't smell if you care for them. :D And long time players are really tired of those more important casual audience who like Dinner Dash more than a life simulator. Or at least this one is. :s
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2016

It's almost like saying the audience isn't creative. When we know developers are amazed by what players do with their games that are very different than they intended for them to play with the content, or within the confines of the game, and are amazed at modders who can do even better. I think it's a matter of perspective. Any artist can sit down and draw your interpretation of a story. You just tell them and they can do it. Thinking what to do in a game has to come from it's audience as we can see not that many people here love collecting fests. But some developers and producers do, so there we have it, collecting fests when players are begging for simulation. Creativity is not just because someone entered a field. You don't have to be an artist to imagine or work on a game to explain what you want and why it's not working.

ETA: OT, no there shouldn't be contests. They should refocus to a life simulator and stop the rpgness and it will succeed better than it has.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member

Your posts are so optimistic about the sims 4 they are just a little bit delusional and scary.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'm imagining Hunger Games with the gurus as the contestants... so definitely.
  • Options
    fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    I'm imagining Hunger Games with the gurus as the contestants... so definitely.

LOL. We must be the sponsors, then.

• Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    They should analyze their usage and sales statistics, then consult with their artists and senior technologists to determine what would be most appealing to an ambitious audience. Contests are usually a bad idea, but I do respect the community, and that's obviously only my opinion!
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    IvySims15IvySims15 Posts: 31 Member
    Someone is always going to be unhappy. I think the format works. May not like it all the time, but it works.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Not for a whole pack. I like the poll they did for the holiday sweaters though.
  • Options
    boundarylessloveboundarylesslove Posts: 1 New Member
    I think that the players input is really valued. I'd love another animals pack, with all animals, and a vet! I'd also really enjoy another Paradise Island-- esp the mermaids. Kind've fun aspect of the game.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I don't think so, simply because and I'm generalising here, a lot of players want Pets, Seasons, Generations, Supernatural... those are always going to be on surveys so people can vote for them
    Whereas if you ran a competition to decide EPs, people would feel pressured to come up with fresh new ideas, meaning that they'd try to avoid the obvious EPs - the ones that we most want, in place of diverse hit or miss EPs. I think this would be a good thing after the main EPs are out of the way, and they can let their creativity fly, but not when it could hinder getting what we actually want.
  • Options
    MeteorizerMeteorizer Posts: 30 Member
    Yeah.... no I don't think they should hold contests for what content is decided to come into the game, most of the "popular answers" will be just features people are craving i.e toddlers which should come in a patch and not a pack. I think what they have is just fine, Sending out surveys of pack ideas they come up with and letting the public vote on what ideas they like and which aren't.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    The way this game is going any change in the way they are deciding on packs and features to add would be a step in the right direction. I would of loved if they gave us a survey option for features in Get to Work like...

Would you rather
    A: Sims make store purchases at a cash register
    B: Sims are chased around the store with a tablet

I actually think the majority of the surveys ideas they have put out have been great but they never follow through and cut out everything that got me excited about that survey idea in the first place.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    blugar44blugar44 Posts: 229 Member
    No, it's pretty straightforward what everyone wants haha, we don't need a longwinded contest to decide it. The popular essential EPs from games past -- Seasons, Pets, Generations etc.
    I'm sure the Sims team knows that's what the audience wants first, but a whole assortment of factors go into which EPs get developed first which they've explained before. Obviously audience responses are a large element but not the defining one.

We'll get those EPs when we get them. A contest is just overkill hahaha.
  • Options
    111sungirl111111sungirl111 Posts: 37 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The way this game is going any change in the way they are deciding on packs and features to add would be a step in the right direction. I would of loved if they gave us a survey option for features in Get to Work like...

Would you rather

I actually think the majority of the surveys ideas they have put out have been great but they never follow through and cut out everything that got me excited about that survey idea in the first place.

I would rather that sims go to a cash register.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    I find your idea OP very interesting and I would participate:))) Although for EA what players think or want do not matter much.. what telemetry shows them matters much more:) and of course what management wants and engine can hold... is the most important:)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Would you rather

Oh yes:)) they like to tempt with ideas to just keep the hopes up:))

Survey: apartments with city living, creating your own apartments blah blah blah
    Players : awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww <3

Ea announcing CL with an amazing trailer.
    Players: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww <333333333333 some pre-order EP.

Gurus starting to answer questions.
    some players: awwwwwwwwwwwwww <3<3<3
    some player : what the ****
    some players ????
    some players what?
    some players ok I can live with that but meh...
    some players quitting
    some players ehh I wonder what they will cut next

one just needs to love EA's ideas;)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    ND81ND81 Posts: 13 New Member
    I think this would be great for CAS items or buy items, maybe even stuff packs. They could show 2 hair styles or furniture styles and it's voted on which one we get.