Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ummmmmmmmm.... even the sims 2 had no loading screen between apartments???

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me most about loading screens, and I will keep bringing it up, is that you can't have your off-lot sims do anything meaningful.

If you want your kids to do homework, your novelist to write a novel, your rocket scientist to keep building, etc. etc. etc. you have to be on the same lot. These things are boring to watch, and it makes more sense if your spouse, say, wants to do something like write their book, that you go out and do other things. Even if you couldn't reset what they were doing when done, at least letting them continue would make me feel I could leave those sims alone and still do fun things with other sims in the household.

I agree 100%. I also miss then Community Time mod for Ts2. It worked great. Eg your sim A goes to a community lot at 10 AM and their spouse (Sim B ) stays at home. You do whatever you want in the community lot and head back home at 3PM. When the home lot loads it's 10 AM again. Sim A is shown as "away" (pretty much as if they were working off lot). You play with Sim B and do whatever you want (fix lunch, call your lover etc). At 3PM, Sim A will return.

OMG... :flushed: That sounds like the most AWESOME mod EVER! :heart: Could you please please please tell me where I can get this?! You've just added probably 5 years of life to my TS2 game :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Sorry for the emoji overload... it's been a while since I've been this excited over a Sims feature!
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    SimsTias wrote: »
    TS2 sims that lived in other apartments waited by their doors until you came a knocking if they weren't outside. Same with sims in dorms in University. I'm not saying to not get up in arms, but I think what everyone is really expecting is sims acting like TS3 sims in their apartments while playing TS4, not acting like TS2 sims. Cause really there isn't much of a difference between a loading screen and a NPC zombie waiting at the door for you to notice them senpai.

there is one big difference - immersion.
    There's no immersion in loading screens.

People didn't seem to mind the loading screens in TS2.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    TS2 sims that lived in other apartments waited by their doors until you came a knocking if they weren't outside. Same with sims in dorms in University. I'm not saying to not get up in arms, but I think what everyone is really expecting is sims acting like TS3 sims in their apartments while playing TS4, not acting like TS2 sims. Cause really there isn't much of a difference between a loading screen and a NPC zombie waiting at the door for you to notice them senpai.

Because we hadn't met TS3, yet.
    The thing that bothers me most about loading screens, and I will keep bringing it up, is that you can't have your off-lot sims do anything meaningful.

If you want your kids to do homework, your novelist to write a novel, your rocket scientist to keep building, etc. etc. etc. you have to be on the same lot. These things are boring to watch, and it makes more sense if your spouse, say, wants to do something like write their book, that you go out and do other things. Even if you couldn't reset what they were doing when done, at least letting them continue would make me feel I could leave those sims alone and still do fun things with other sims in the household.

I agree 100%. I also miss then Community Time mod for Ts2. It worked great. Eg your sim A goes to a community lot at 10 AM and their spouse (Sim B ) stays at home. You do whatever you want in the community lot and head back home at 3PM. When the home lot loads it's 10 AM again. Sim A is shown as "away" (pretty much as if they were working off lot). You play with Sim B and do whatever you want (fix lunch, call your lover etc). At 3PM, Sim A will return.

OMG... :flushed: That sounds like the most AWESOME mod EVER! :heart: Could you please please please tell me where I can get this?! You've just added probably 5 years of life to my TS2 game :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Sorry for the emoji overload... it's been a while since I've been this excited over a Sims feature!

You can find it at MATY. It's a crammyboy mod, me thinks. I have been using it for ages and it works. However, word of caution regarding vacations. You may want to pull it before you go on one or your sims will miss actual days of work and be fired.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

You can find it at MATY. It's a crammyboy mod, me thinks. I have been using it for ages and it works. However, word of caution regarding vacations. You may want to pull it before you go on one or your sims will miss actual days of work and be fired.

Right! That would make sense!
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    sforzindasforzinda Posts: 52 Member

Except I still don't see any complaints about TS2 loading screens long time after TS3 came out (going with the logic of these arguments, it is absolutely nothing I mind, just butting in for the sake of butting in), considering I would expect people to be spoiled by open world and lack of loading screens by now.
  • Options
    sforzinda wrote: »

Except I still don't see any complaints about TS2 loading screens long time after TS3 came out (going with the logic of these arguments, it is absolutely nothing I mind, just butting in for the sake of butting in), considering I would expect people to be spoiled by open world and lack of loading screens by now.

I mind and I still actively play TS2 more than TS3 or TS4. It's the rich gameplay and simulations that I play for, but that doesn't mean I don't get annoyed by the loading screens or the lot sync, which I use a mod for.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    hafizchan wrote: »
    HELLO. WAKE UP CALL. ITS 2016 and we've moved TWO steps backwards??? I never was bothered with loading screens to visit other lots. but come ON MAANNNN. I'm no techn geek but it doesnt seem to be that hard to do does it since you've done it before in 2008!!!!!! (DO THE MATH!!!)

At this point I would be even happy if you have to load / render your neighbour's house slowly one furniture at a time a la the sims 3!!
    what a deal breaker!!!! T_T

Sims 2 is not Sims4. It is two different engines, two different designs. If I had to put it in a real life example, I would say it is like a truck engine. Some take regular gasoline, some take diesel. But you can't put regular gasoline in a diesel engine, can't put diesel in a regular engine.

In Sims4, it is designed to only have one lot open. Period. So for apartments, you get two options ... multiple apartments per building ... each apartment is closed or you can have one apartment per building and the rest background decor.

The other apartments being closed for me ... I don't care. Those sims there will just be background filler for my sims and my stories. I don't really care what is going on in their apartment or what they do.
  • Options
    phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    But in TS2 the only thing that was loaded and simulated was the apartments and yard.

In City Living you have all the neighbourhood public space loaded and simulated too.

Some people play on toasters.

Yes, some people do play on toasters. But some of us actually work our butts off and take our own time in order to get something other than a toaster. And to have people who have these toasters hold us back from having a game where something as simple as no loading screens is not possible, its ridiculous!

And you know what? While I don't exactly know your system, I can almost guarantee mine is better. In saying that, I can say that people with your level of PC is holding people at my level back. Sounds quite snobbish doesn't it? Fact of the matter is sims is rather unique in the world of games, in the sense that many here primarily just play sims, and have jobs, lives, families of their own. That money that many here probably make and work hard for, could probably be spent elsewhere because they want to but more likely because they have to.

This is of course unless your post is sarcasm, and that above statement was completely unnecessary......apologies.

NEXT!

Ya know what really kills my immersion? Having to pretend like im living in a bustling city when in reality im living on a single lost surrounded by blank grass areas, pocked with other single lots. Maybe I would like what its predecessor did with apartments? Bridgeport was amazing looked great and........wait..........where is everyone?

See the problem is sims 2 gave you the freedom to build "apartments" because thats really all it could do at the time, that was (most likely) literally the only option the devs could give you to satisfy apartments. In the sims 3 you actually had less customization than TS2 or 4 in return for that open world everybody wants so much, again problem being that there isn't enough life to actually make that world feel alive.

In the sims 4 you have to sacrifice building custom apartments and living in a fully open world. What you get in return is a city that actually FEELS like a city. That ACTS like a city. Lastly apartments that look like actual apartments you would....know....find in the real world.

They are kinda meeting us half way here, you get to customize the interior of any apartment, build any penthouse, and you get the look of having those be in a real apartment building in a real city.

THATS immersion.

Look im one of those "vet" players thats been around a long time, I get the general disappointment in TS4. Poor launch, some general misses with the first few EP's and GP's. Im there with you guys.

But it actually feels like they are starting to turn it around with this one, and reading this forum its starting to feel like people are complaining about the game, not to make it better (which again it definitively needs to be), but for the sake of complaining about something.

All of the above are my opinions, not facts, and I respect the opinions of others made in this thread. (disclaimers never hurt anyone)

Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg

• Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    But in TS2 the only thing that was loaded and simulated was the apartments and yard.

In City Living you have all the neighbourhood public space loaded and simulated too.

Some people play on toasters.

Yes, some people do play on toasters. But some of us actually work our butts off and take our own time in order to get something other than a toaster. And to have people who have these toasters hold us back from having a game where something as simple as no loading screens is not possible, its ridiculous!

And you know what? While I don't exactly know your system, I can almost guarantee mine is better. In saying that, I can say that people with your level of PC is holding people at my level back. Sounds quite snobbish doesn't it? Fact of the matter is sims is rather unique in the world of games, in the sense that many here primarily just play sims, and have jobs, lives, families of their own. That money that many here probably make and work hard for, could probably be spent elsewhere because they want to but more likely because they have to.

This is of course unless your post is sarcasm, and that above statement was completely unnecessary......apologies.

NEXT!

Ya know what really kills my immersion? Having to pretend like im living in a bustling city when in reality im living on a single lost surrounded by blank grass areas, pocked with other single lots. Maybe I would like what its predecessor did with apartments? Bridgeport was amazing looked great and........wait..........where is everyone?

See the problem is sims 2 gave you the freedom to build "apartments" because thats really all it could do at the time, that was (most likely) literally the only option the devs could give you to satisfy apartments. In the sims 3 you actually had less customization than TS2 or 4 in return for that open world everybody wants so much, again problem being that there isn't enough life to actually make that world feel alive.

In the sims 4 you have to sacrifice building custom apartments and living in a fully open world. What you get in return is a city that actually FEELS like a city. That ACTS like a city. Lastly apartments that look like actual apartments you would....know....find in the real world.

They are kinda meeting us half way here, you get to customize the interior of any apartment, build any penthouse, and you get the look of having those be in a real apartment building in a real city.

THATS immersion.

Look im one of those "vet" players thats been around a long time, I get the general disappointment in TS4. Poor launch, some general misses with the first few EP's and GP's. Im there with you guys.

But it actually feels like they are starting to turn it around with this one, and reading this forum its starting to feel like people are complaining about the game, not to make it better (which again it definitively needs to be), but for the sake of complaining about something.

All of the above are my opinions, not facts, and I respect the opinions of others made in this thread. (disclaimers never hurt anyone)

I really think it depends on how you play. Lots of people used to play with these big sprawling worlds, even the Maxis ones, but unless those worlds had 1 million citizens, of course they would be empty.

Now I created a city...not very big, an island with a port. It has an industrial area with lots of cramped in housing, a downtown with townhouses and upperclass houses, and through a mountain pass was the beach area with houseboats and beach houses...clubs, hotels, amusement parks, etc. I made sure that all of my houses were filled with sims, I did not let them "move away". Whenever I would play, I would always see sims in the background going places and doing things. They liked some places more than others, but I would see them walking all the time. Even in the distant beach area...I set up Java huts throughout that area and they would always stop for coffee. That to me seemed real because they were doing what they wanted. Some sims liked visiting some places more than others. They weren't using objects because the lot says they should.

TS2 is different. The sims just kind of do whatever they want or whatever object is drawing them in more. But what I like about the community lots in that game is the gossip system. I always get a kick out of seeing what they're talking about...heck, sometimes I learn about affairs by watching them gossip. LoL

The thing that bothers me about TS4 is that even though, yeah, there are other sims doing things out and about, it's all superficial. They are just doing a preapproved list of things that don't matter in their lives unless I specifically set them up to do that with the club system. it's not like their personalities are guiding them towards those things. For example...I added the horseshoe thing to the main park in Willow Springs expecting to see sims using it. Not a single townie used it. Then I realized that the only objects these sims will use is what is on the lot type list. So I can add what I want, but that doesn't matter. The groups help, but then I have to go out of my way setting all this up and that's to tedious for me to go through when I already don't enjoy the game.

I think it is good that the devs are trying to add these types of features to the game, but they are very superficial and shallow. I want my sims to actually enjoy doing those things...not just be forced into it. You see when I see my other families around town doing things, I add that into my history if them. I take those things and add it to their character...Nigel like ice cream and swimming...stuff like that. So when it is only me that decides that, it is just boring. I loved this game because of the things that happen that I had nothing to do with. Because then my world seemed alive and believable. TS4 seems lively, but very fake.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    o.o I was playing Sims 3 yesterday. My sim took her 4 supernatural daughters to the festival. The festival was full of people. There were about 10 people outside the festival complaining how they didn't like astronauts, sims walking around, talking to each other, reading a book, doing homework and what not.. That is 30 to 40 sims in my view as I played my sim and her daughters.. My lots are never empty..