Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ummmmmmmmm.... even the sims 2 had no loading screen between apartments???

HELLO. WAKE UP CALL. ITS 2016 and we've moved TWO steps backwards??? I never was bothered with loading screens to visit other lots. but come ON MAANNNN. I'm no techn geek but it doesnt seem to be that hard to do does it since you've done it before in 2008!!!!!! (DO THE MATH!!!)

At this point I would be even happy if you have to load / render your neighbour's house slowly one furniture at a time a la the sims 3!!
what a deal breaker!!!! T_T
Happiness!
j9pm6g.gif

Comments

• kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    yep. Loading screens killing game :(( Seems this game not going forward, only back :(
    And no wish to start the game :(
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I am suprised at that as well. I mean the loading screens themselves where considered dated before the game even launched and that was considered a step backwards but as TS2 did not have them when visiting neighbours who lived in an apartment on the same lot, the new loading screens are even more of a set back.

One step forwards, two steps backwards...

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    I am suprised at that as well. I mean the loading screens themselves where considered dated before the game even launched and that was considered a step backwards but as TS2 did not have them when visiting neighbours who lived in an apartment on the same lot, the new loading screens are even more of a set back.

I missed the step forward. what was it?
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • and that game ran like a snail

Thank you, Sims 4 team, for having the foresight to add loading screens and optimize performance.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    But in TS2 the only thing that was loaded and simulated was the apartments and yard.

In City Living you have all the neighbourhood public space loaded and simulated too.

Some people play on toasters.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    My Sims 2 ran very well and had/has Thousands of Sims in 1 World with many neighborhoods after 10 Generations. :lol:

Anyway... Yes, they did but this game is limited. It's not a God Game anymore with us in the driving seat, we are just players of what they make- unless we can mod Some Things in. :(

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    and that game ran like a snail

Thank you, Sims 4 team, for having the foresight to add loading screens and optimize performance.

I can get higher fps with TS2 than with TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I wish loading screens were the most disappointing part of this EP. I can live with them.
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

Create a Sim.

That is all that TS4 has over the previous games
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

TS2 ran worse than TS3 on my gaming rig. High(er) apartements were literally unplayable. Not only because of the crappy camera-moevement but also because of the constant fps drops to 2-4 fps you eperienced every 2-3 seconds.

Dear OP,

To understand the reason behind this you first have to know why TS4's engine is far more complex than, say, the engine of TS3 or TS2 - let me try to explain: First, you have a semi-open world that needs to be fully rendered all the time on every particular lot that is active in your game. In TS2 the details of your surrounding were very low and the action only concentrated on a very small spot (again: TS4 is semi-open), therefore the allocation of resources was very straight forward and easy to figure out. Second, in TS4, the interaction system got improved. Sims now are very flexible in their behavior. They aren't limited and restricted to objects anymore when they interact with them. Take for example the radio. You turn it on and make your sims dance. Here it shows how primitive the system really is in TS2 and TS3. Just look what happens there: your sim basically will play an animation and this was it. Sometimes you have the option to change the animation (e.g. swap from dance style a to dance style b) but there is no room for flexibility. TS2 and TS3 engine only allowed very limited (social) interactions.

TS4, on the other hand, is very flexible in this regard due to multi-tasking and emotions. Sims can perform many tasks at the same time + almost every time you have the possibility to engage in a social encounter simultanously (these are usually the same encounters you can choose from when you just talk to a different sim). So the system is very (hardware) demanding due to its complexity.

To make it short - the reason: Complexity of interactions and social encounters + semi-open world + details in the world + optimization/performance.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    More loading screens! These people really know how to make a bad game worse.

So now I get a loading screen going next door on the same lot! It absolutely blows me away how backwards The Sims 4 is and how little they can do with it.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    That's it, the neighbours can visit me then
    giphy_1.gif
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

So now I get a loading screen going next door on the same lot! It absolutely blows me away how backwards The Sims 4 is and how little they can do with it.

It's not the same lot. They way it's been described by the gurus confirms that.

The high-rise apartments may be located on the same spot according to latitude and longitude, but they have different altitudes/elevations. In the brownstone buildings they are the same elevation, but placed closely side by side. Hallways, lobby, communal apartment areas are extended neighbourhood space.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    The loading screens do not bother me at all. They don't even take that long. I prefer this to open world because the worlds in Sims 3 were incredibly lifeless.

Just think what will happen if they release a University Life EP again. A loading screen between going to a different dorm room?

I can see it happening :#
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited September 2016

Of course you're going to get higher fps on an older game...older tech is easier for newer pcs to run...

OP...Disappointed at losing screens, yes. However, it isn't the end of the world as we have had loading screens from the very start and they're obviously a fundamental aspect of this game, so in my eyes it's not a surprise at all. Others have also pointed out that an entire neighbourhood is loaded instead of just one single lot.

Of course you're going to get higher fps on an older game...older tech is easier for newer pcs to run...

OP...Disappointed at losing screens, yes. However, it isn't the end of the world as we have had loading screens from the very start and they're obviously a fundamental aspect of this game, so in my eyes it's not a surprise at all. Others have also pointed out that an entire neighbourhood is loaded instead of just one single lot.

Ofc it is. Have you tried running TS4 in a 2004 computer? Bet it would run like a snail too.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Ofc it is. Have you tried running TS4 in a 2004 computer? Bet it would run like a snail too.

I'm sure you would find the same thing if you tried to run GTAV on a 2004 PC.
  • IceheartIceheart Posts: 37 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

Angry poops, of course. Such innovative, immersive gameplay.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

I know people like to say a toaster could run TS4, but I'm laying odds it couldn't run on a 2004 computer.

I'm sure you would find the same thing if you tried to run GTAV on a 2004 PC.

Yes I would, but didn't San Andreas run like a snail too on older computers?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Arletta wrote: »

I know people like to say a toaster could run TS4, but I'm laying odds it couldn't run on a 2004 computer.

Has anyone ever tried to run it on a 2004 PC to find out?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited September 2016

Edit: ignore. I was thinking of TS2. :D

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

We see TS4 fail all the time on newer PCs than that. It does not, in actual fact, run on a toaster. It might run on some of the higher-end everything-just-released gaming PCs from '04, if they played the 32-bit version on low settings and tolerated lag. I wouldn't want to watch.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimsFanatic2688SimsFanatic2688 Posts: 222 Member
    This i'm not actually bothered about. The loading screens only take 15 seconds if that. I can see why people would be annoyed by it tho!