Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4: City Life (Apartments)... this is pathetic!

Comments

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    mskube wrote: »
    So... the developers have (once again) done the complete opposite of what fans actually wanted... In the upcoming City Life expansion pack, players will NOT be able to build their own apartments. They will be exclusive to the new world introduced in the pack...

http://simsvip.com/2016/09/20/sims-4-city-living-apartments-exclusive-san-myshuno/

Not only that, but they continue making it worse by insisting that a loading screen must be required in order to visit your neighbor in the SAME apartment building...

http://simsvip.com/2016/09/20/sims-4-city-living-loading-screens-apartments/

In Sims 2, it was completely possible to build your own apartments... In Sims 3, it was a bit frustrating to do it, but at least it was possible! Not only that, but even Sims 2 did NOT have a loading screen when you wanted to visit your neighbor. That's the saddest and most pathetic part of this! It's really disturbing how a game created over a decade ago is more advanced than a game in 2016.

This was honestly just laziness on the developers' part. This is extremely disappointing... especially since many fans (like myself) have wanted apartments... we wanted to BUILD them! This is just more evidence that the developers simply don't care about what we have to say. They keep ignoring us.

How did you determine what fans actually wanted?

In city life, players will be able to build their own apartments however they will not be able to build them in other worlds (obviously due to the new lot/venue types and apartment-related functions which aren't compatible with the old world data). Apartments must be loaded separately since each residence is associated with a unique lot/zone ID and it isn't possible to load all neighboring lot and household data with one zone.

The Sims 4 is very clearly and demonstrably the most advanced version to date.

Yes, you can build your own apartments (in other worlds) but they will not function the way City Living apartments will function.
    Is this coming from EA/Maxis or rumored like everything else. and if so is there a link?

You can build an apartment building that looks like a City Living apartment now... is what @mskube meant. It's the actual City Living apartments that can not be build.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    I didn't find those news horrible or anything. I am actually ok with it. Did feel a bit bad that we couldn't place them where we wanted them but oh well, not that big to me.

Another thing is, that sims 2 is a rather simple game now, wheres 10 years ago it was quite advanced. But as games gets more advanced so does the coding of those games. The reason we can't built our own apartment is probably due to the limitations of the engine, it uses. And those you just cant change midway.

You are allowed to be disappointed all you want. But if the limitations is due to the engine then making apartments build-able and placement is very unlikely to happen. I would focus on the good things instead of complaning about it as it isn't really going to get you anywhere. But that's completely up to you what you want to do.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    So... the developers have (once again) done the complete opposite of what fans actually wanted... In the upcoming City Life expansion pack, players will NOT be able to build their own apartments. They will be exclusive to the new world introduced in the pack...

http://simsvip.com/2016/09/20/sims-4-city-living-apartments-exclusive-san-myshuno/

Not only that, but they continue making it worse by insisting that a loading screen must be required in order to visit your neighbor in the SAME apartment building...

In Sims 2, it was completely possible to build your own apartments... In Sims 3, it was a bit frustrating to do it, but at least it was possible! Not only that, but even Sims 2 did NOT have a loading screen when you wanted to visit your neighbor. That's the saddest and most pathetic part of this! It's really disturbing how a game created over a decade ago is more advanced than a game in 2016.

This was honestly just laziness on the developers' part. This is extremely disappointing... especially since many fans (like myself) have wanted apartments... we wanted to BUILD them! This is just more evidence that the developers simply don't care about what we have to say. They keep ignoring us.

In city life, players will be able to build their own apartments however they will not be able to build them in other worlds (obviously due to the new lot/venue types and apartment-related functions which aren't compatible with the old world data). Apartments must be loaded separately since each residence is associated with a unique lot/zone ID and it isn't possible to load all neighboring lot and household data with one zone.

Yes, you can build your own apartments (in other worlds) but they will not function the way City Living apartments will function.
    Is this coming from EA/Maxis or rumored like everything else. and if so is there a link?

You can build an apartment building that looks like a City Living apartment now... is what @mskube meant. It's the actual City Living apartments that can not be build.
    Will it operate like a City Living apartment and if it can I can live with it.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    is building an apartment by the player a difficult task for the developers?

Well, if you can't do it then DONT do it. People has been asking for functional apartments since the TS3 days. they want the freedom to build apartments anywhere the style they want. We did not ask for shells.

Is that too complex or difficult to understand?

Apartments are a lot more than things to build. Why should nonbuilders have to give up apartment-related gameplay just because builders can't build them from scratch? Why should those of us who don't mind loading screens for neighbours (which we already have) have to give up apartment gameplay because people who already play with loading screens (assuming those people play Sims 4) don't want them there? Builders are not the whole player base. People who hate loading screens are not the whole player base.

I am not a builder but I know what gameplay I am talking about. I want my world to be different than yours. Do you realize that all the apartment buildings will be the same?
    Where is the game play? objects breaking is not the game play I want. I want to roommates, I want sims to be able to visit each other without the loading screens. I want to be able to place the apartment anywhere I want in the world. What you call gameplay is no game play.

It seems this iteration leaves out someones desired game play each time. People who don't want those elements will be happy with CL, those who do, just simply will be gutted... and so it goes on. Every pack has had this issue.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    claudette84claudette84 Posts: 115 Member
    Grrrr. Let me build apartments or the Goth family sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    I buy these for the new objects and I gave up hope of anything working correct.We gotta forget the good old days and move on.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I don't play the game but I WAS interested in how apartments would work, and I must say, I'm a bit surprised.
    Firstly about the loading screen. Aren't these apartments technically all in the same building? NPC + PC apts, I mean. I don't see why you would need a loading screen. You don't have loading screens going from room to room in the homes do you? I must admit to being baffled why it would work like that.

Secondly, I can understand why people are upset about not being able to build their own apartments. It would have been nice if they could have made things possible for everyone. Builders to build without sacrificing gameplay for players.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options

No...no way, it will only LOOK like an apartment. You could lock doors and have different sims living in different parts but it will be one lot, one source of income... it will function like one household but with locked door access.

Only the apartments that come with City Living will function like an apartment and they have loading screens to visit neighbors and so on and can not be built or moved, just decorated and internal walls/doors moved and deleted.

• Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member

What I mean is anyone can build apartments just as we can now without the EP, but you cannot make them function like City Living apartments. In other words I was trying to correct @Forest_Ninja comment.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member

Well, if you can't do it then DONT do it. People has been asking for functional apartments since the TS3 days. they want the freedom to build apartments anywhere the style they want. We did not ask for shells.

Apartments are a lot more than things to build. Why should nonbuilders have to give up apartment-related gameplay just because builders can't build them from scratch? Why should those of us who don't mind loading screens for neighbours (which we already have) have to give up apartment gameplay because people who already play with loading screens (assuming those people play Sims 4) don't want them there? Builders are not the whole player base. People who hate loading screens are not the whole player base.

I am not a builder but I know what gameplay I am talking about. I want my world to be different than yours. Do you realize that all the apartment buildings will be the same?
    Where is the game play? objects breaking is not the game play I want. I want to roommates, I want sims to be able to visit each other without the loading screens. I want to be able to place the apartment anywhere I want in the world. What you call gameplay is no game play.

It seems this iteration leaves out someones desired game play each time. People who don't want those elements will be happy with CL, those who do, just simply will be gutted... and so it goes on. Every pack has had this issue.

The biggest issue is to take the biggest feature in a pack and water it down to a degree that it becomes invisible!
    My past posts repeatedly I have been asking for essential EPs and one of them is apartments. One whole year wait and we get these apartments which are shells!!

If this was the 3rd or the 4th EP in this year I would say yea they are doing many, but one EP taking that long and the main feature is screwed in such a big way is just pathetic.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member

Yes, thank you.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member

Where is the game play? objects breaking is not the game play I want. I want roommates, I want sims to be able to visit each other without the loading screens. I want to be able to place the apartment anywhere I want in any world. What you call gameplay is no game play.

All I see today is "You can't" "you wont be able"
    Do you think I am the only one disappointed here? This is NOT what I asked for

One, the blog post today refers to roommates. Two, you don't get to dictate what another player considers gameplay. Yes, you're not happy. Yes, you didn't get what you asked for. Yes, you're not the only one. But none of that means that there's not something very real there for other players whose needs and priorities in apartment gameplay differs from yours. And it certainly doesn't mean that our gameplay isn't gameplay at all.

The thing is, you don't need to go that far. You have a perfectly legit beef, without needing to go so far as to say that what's left is of no use to anybody or isn't gameplay for someone else. But there's a line across which all you're doing is putting down other players.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

No...no way, it will only LOOK like an apartment. You could lock doors and have different sims living in different parts but it will be one lot, one source of income... it will function like one household but with locked door access.

Only the apartments that come with City Living will function like an apartment and they have loading screens to visit neighbors and so on and can not be built or moved, just decorated and internal walls/doors moved and deleted.
    For me that is a no go, but will wait for a half price sale because for me to pay full price for so many limitations is ridiculous, thanks for the info. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    What I mean is anyone can build apartments just as we can now without the EP, but you cannot make them function like City Living apartments. In other words I was trying to correct @Forest_Ninja comment.

My comment is accurate therefore there was no need for any counter-argument from you. You didn't even address any of my statements.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options

The biggest issue is to take the biggest feature in a pack and water it down to a degree that it becomes invisible!
    My past posts repeatedly I have been asking for essential EPs and one of them is apartments. One whole year wait and we get these apartments which are shells!!

If this was the 3rd or the 4th EP in this year I would say yea they are doing many, but one EP taking that long and the main feature is screwed in such a big way is just pathetic.

I know... it seems that the one big ticket item that we expect turns out differently every time. I can't help but think that if everyone had known that apartments could not/were not going to be buildable as development progressed that maybe it wouldn't be such a disappointment. Wouldn't change the underlying issues though.

I really empathize, next pack it could be me that is gutted that 'x' is just not cutting it.

• Options

Got you :)

• Options
    Pary wrote: »
    I don't play the game but I WAS interested in how apartments would work, and I must say, I'm a bit surprised.
    Firstly about the loading screen. Aren't these apartments technically all in the same building? NPC + PC apts, I mean. I don't see why you would need a loading screen. You don't have loading screens going from room to room in the homes do you? I must admit to being baffled why it would work like that.

Secondly, I can understand why people are upset about not being able to build their own apartments. It would have been nice if they could have made things possible for everyone. Builders to build without sacrificing gameplay for players.

I think it's because doing it another way would have meant recoding the lot/neighbourhood system at the basegame level. It for sure would have been nice, though. The not-building part I'd assumed was the same reason but one of the SimGurus apparently said it's so that they could not have the height restriction that build/buy does. I'm assuming now that it's a bit of both, really, because even to build a lowrise, they'd have had to recode the whole lot structure, or else probably have the sacrifice of multiple playable units (I hated that sacrifice in 3, personally). I'm #TeamAllTheThings, but I do understand that sometimes it's just not possible, or not feasible without such huge costs that you'd not be able to cover them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Lmao

But the apartment have all these new and different features that would have been old and done before if sims 2 and 3 existed but they don't <. < You can have loud neighbors and roaches.. and broken stuff. So new and amazing.

Why would I want to build something if EA always has the best designs and ideas for everything.

Lol I wonder if there are even elevators. No vampires and nothing else. Sounds like a blast I can give EA mpre money for new stuff I have in the old games and a lack of features.
  • Options

For me that is a no go, but will wait for a half price sale because for me to pay full price for so many limitations is ridiculous, thanks for the info. :)

Guess there's some value to the more frequent sales Origin seems to have :)
  • Options
    edited September 2016

My comment is accurate therefore there was no need for any counter-argument from you. You didn't even address any of my statements.

*waves* hi! I've missed bantering with you. :)

No, no counter argument just some clarification to clear up the misunderstandings that your vague post caused.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,966 Member
    Speak for yourself. Personally, I'm thrilled that apartments are restricted to one city. It makes them all the more important!

My sarcasm detector has gone haywire - do I need to re-calibrate :)

I don't think it was meant to be sarcastic. I rather like the idea of having apartments, and whatever other game features, restricted to one city. Sort of like all of my retail shops are in Newcrest and if my sims want to shop they have to visit Newcrest. Now they'll have to travel to the city for festivals, to visit friends and family living in the city, etc. I'm not saying I wouldn't like the option to place apts in other neighborhoods but it doesn't diminish my excitement for the pack.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Not having the "traits" available in non-San Myshuno apartments doesn't bother me. I just want to be able to build and use multiple-family dwellings like I do in Sims 2. I want the ability to have multiple families on one residential lot to help conserve space. Will I be able to do that, or not? If not, I don't have any interest in buying CL.