Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope I am wrong about this

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    Two things

1. Mothelode cheat for expensive penthouse

2. World Management;let's knock down walls and move them somewhere else!!!

I'm guessing that freerealestate will work, as well.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Let me start by saying this is pure speculation and that I hope I am proven wrong when we get more information. The next expansion pack looks like totally linear gameplay to me. These are my observations after watching the trailer.
    1. It appears as though the penthouse apartment is something you have to earn your way up to. It appears to be a space plunked on top of a high rise. It does not appear as though we can build the highrise but are rather given the illusion of a high rise. It looks as though it is a buildable lot on top of a building.
    2. It looks as though we start off in a tight cramped apartment that is not changeable. It seems we may be able to change wall colors but It seems as though we are restricted as far as re-building. It says in the description we are not allowed to move walls.
    3. It looks as though the "apartments" are small pieces of the building complex and we can not build our own apartments from the ground up, like we were able to do in the Sims 2.
    4. many of the objects appear to be a re-hash of old items we have had in the sims 2 and 3. Example Hooka Pipe and Karaoke machine
    Please let me be proven wrong about this. If these things turn out to be true I fear the end is near for this game and a whole lot of players.

1. The penthouses are built on top of shells -- they're a separate type of lot than apartments. And you're not limited to building residential penthouses; you could zone that lot as a restaurant and build a luxurious eatery with giant windows.
    2. You don't have to start in a cramped apartment -- if your Sim has a fair amount of money or income (maybe they're already a writer with a lot of royalty money coming in), you could probably start out in a decent place. And apartments are not changeable in Real Life -- you can't knock out walls, but in some apartments you can paint/wallpaper walls, and occasionally get plumbing and appliance upgrades and buy your own furniture.
    3. We don't know yet how apartments will work as far as building our own -- and it's possible that if we can't build our own right out of the box, the tools might be there for modders to create a modified apartment system so that smaller apartments (or at least duplexes) can be built in other worlds (I have a house with a basement apartment that I would love to use in my game).
    4. The items that are returning are ones that have been requested and added a lot of fun to the game. Many players have requested Pets as a future EP -- would that also symbolize "the end is near" for Sims 4 because of "no new ideas"? We're getting a lot of new features in this pack, along with some old favorites and some different themes. We had festivals in Sims 3 Seasons, but the events were seasonally based, whereas we've got different themes for the City festivals. We don't know yet if the new careers are "active" type careers, "off-screen" careers, or maybe a combination of the two. And there are likely other features that are yet to be revealed

I'd take a deep breath, stop worrying and just wait till we get more details in the next several weeks.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    paige35617 wrote: »
    Ohhh I hope it's not an "earn" system.

Well, everything is an "earn" system -- you start out in a small house and as you make money you move up to a larger place. If you're moving an existing family from Newcrest to San Myshuno, and their house is worth 100K Simoleons, then you could afford a penthouse worth 100K Simoleons (either one you build yourself or one already built). If you sell their existing furniture instead of keeping it they'll have even more money if you want them to buy a place with upgraded furnishings. As I see it, your living situation will be solely dependent on what you can afford -- you could get the fanciest pad in the town, then have your Sim eat nothing but quick meals and spend all their free time making extra money to afford it, just like in real life if your tastes exceed your budget. :|
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I wouldn't mind it being an "earn" system. Like a game within a game. Reminds me of getting your kid into private school in Sims 2. But I seriously doubt that. I think they just mean, you need a lot of money in order to live in the penthouse. (or use the free real estate cheat)
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    It seems that the penthouses will, indeed, be built on top of other lots. That is what I expected, really. Apartments tho... I did wish they would have brought back the way they worked in TS2- full of life and ability to have many families in the building. I'll be looking for more info either way.
  • Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    Two things

1. Mothelode cheat for expensive penthouse

2. World Management;let's knock down walls and move them somewhere else!!!

I'm guessing that freerealestate will work, as well.

That too will work :D
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    PrincessStarlaPrincessStarla Posts: 52 Member
    edited September 2016
    I've already said this on another topic, but will also put it here: the Spanish official blog states that once you advance on the new careers you can afford a penthouse.

It doesn't use the Spanish word for "unlock" (desbloquear), it uses "permitir" which can be translated as "allow" or "afford" and in this case I think they mean "afford". I think penthouses will be pretty expensive, so you will need to be at the top of your career to afford them (and they mention the new ones just because well, they're new and they are promoting them) To me, nothing seems to state that you need to unlock them somehow. I could be wrong, of course, but the word "permitir" (afford) to me means something about money.

(Actual Spanish statement: "¡Cuando avancéis por una de las nuevas profesiones (político, crítico o gestor de redes sociales), podréis permitiros un deslumbrante ático nuevo en la última planta!")

Also, as far as I remembered, editing apartments/penthouses in normal gameplay was never possible. You had to either use cheats or build/edit without having a family living there. I mean, you could build something from scratch and then turn it into apartment, but your sims could only decorate it, not build or destroy walls.

Please keep in mind English is not my first language, so I may make mistakes and have a bit of trouble explaining myself
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    We can build our own restaurants, so I'm hoping we'll be able to build apartments. Though I doubt we can edit the area under penthouses.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,401 Member
    Let me start by saying this is pure speculation and that I hope I am proven wrong when we get more information. The next expansion pack looks like totally linear gameplay to me. These are my observations after watching the trailer.
    1. It appears as though the penthouse apartment is something you have to earn your way up to. It appears to be a space plunked on top of a high rise. It does not appear as though we can build the highrise but are rather given the illusion of a high rise. It looks as though it is a buildable lot on top of a building.
    2. It looks as though we start off in a tight cramped apartment that is not changeable. It seems we may be able to change wall colors but It seems as though we are restricted as far as re-building. It says in the description we are not allowed to move walls.
    3. It looks as though the "apartments" are small pieces of the building complex and we can not build our own apartments from the ground up, like we were able to do in the Sims 2.
    4. many of the objects appear to be a re-hash of old items we have had in the sims 2 and 3. Example Hooka Pipe and Karaoke machine
    Please let me be proven wrong about this. If these things turn out to be true I fear the end is near for this game and a whole lot of players.

With motherlode you'll be able to get the pent house trust me.
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    This pack is gonna dive so hard after the first few days of release. Go to a festival (which looks like a food stand and a guy busking with garish lights everywhere), sing some karaoke, shoot a hoop then sit in your cramped, restricted apartment and look at oil paintings of sky scrapers.

Nice....for the first 2 hours anyway.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    CrackFox wrote: »
    This pack is gonna dive so hard after the first few days of release. Go to a festival (which looks like a food stand and a guy busking with garish lights everywhere), sing some karaoke, shoot a hoop then sit in your cramped, restricted apartment and look at oil paintings of sky scrapers.

Nice....for the first 2 hours anyway.

But can't you be a graffiti artist? I'm going to be Banksy. I'm going to Banksy sooooo hard.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,401 Member

With motherlode you'll be able to get the pent house trust me.

I meant with the freerealestate cheat.
  • Options
    fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    Hate to say I told you so but this expansion looks like its even more limiting than I feared. The new trailer looks terrible. We dont even get to make the characters that live in the shell apartment, they are pre-made.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Yes, that's also my impression right on the money.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Hate to say I told you so but this expansion looks like its even more limiting than I feared. The new trailer looks terrible. We dont even get to make the characters that live in the shell apartment, they are pre-made.

That's actually not true:

There may be some pre-mades already in the apartments, but you can probably just use the current Manage World/Households system to evict them and place your own choice of Sims in the building. (I'm seriously considering a Swinging Seniors complex with all Elders, in a Romantic Party Zone building.) So while we can't build apartments like in Sims 2, the apartments themselves are more a Sims 2 style from what I understand (never really played much of Apartment Life since it never got ported to the Mac).
  • Options
    ParkPark Posts: 625 Member

This may not appeal to some members but as I recall in Sims 1, one always started out on the low rung and had to work one's way up. I recall Sims easily getting bored with what they had and one had to buy them higher-grade appliances, furniture, and so-forth to keep them happy.

The challenge was in advancing them in their careers so they (you) can afford these new trappings.

I cannot say if this is indeed the path they will go down for City Life, but it looks as though it would be in keeping with original Sims tradition.

Indeed some of the disgruntlement I have read about regarding Sims 4 involved everything "coming too easy". So if I were a developer I'd try a reversion to the Original Sim game design and have a player need to engage with the game and have their creatures develop their skills.

As the bewhiskered fellow above me says, one can always employ game devices such as Motherlode if one wished to "cut to the chase" and start at the top. Everyone plays this thing their own way.

This is only my perception and opinion. I could very well be wrong.

As a side note, at times, this function of Sims 1 got to be perhaps too much of a challenge to the point of monotony IMO, as in a Sim finally getting the latest and greatest appliances and such at the expense of their household savings, only to have a burglar conveniently stop by and take everything, resulting in Square 1. That is where cheats and workarounds became necessary to prevent being discouraged by this feedback loop storyline the games invariably developed. Setting a lone post at the end of the sidewalk and placing a burglar alarm upon it meant they were always caught and dragged away by the constables before they could enter and steal.

And, of course, there was always trusty ol' "Rosebud".
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I've made the same comment as you, @Park in other threads. For those who complain that the game is "too easy" or a "child's game", this will add a bit more of a challenge if they're willing to take it. And for those who can't wait to work their Sims up the ladder (maybe for storytelling purposes), there's always motherlode and freerealestate. For example, I'm planning to put the Goths in a penthouse and Mortimer's going into politics (I might have Cassandra lead protests against him!) -- they'll probably need freerealestate for the type of place I'm envisioning for them. But in terms of "earning" your way up the ladder, it's more a matter of money and not having to fulfill certain tasks like meet X amount of Sims and such. It's all about the Simoleons, baby! B)

Oh, and glad to see I wasn't the only one to stick a burglar alarm at the end of the walkway leading to the house in Sims 1/Sims 2. :p In Sims 3 my Brave Sims invariably beat up the burglar before the police could get there. :#
  • Options
    GardeningGardening Posts: 207 Member
    I really don't get this so is it based on Japan city is that why we have sushi or is it like the typical city.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Gardening wrote: »
    I really don't get this so is it based on Japan city is that why we have sushi or is it like the typical city.

A "typical city" these days is typically multicultural. The big city I live downtown in, we have people from all over the world, speaking about 200 different languages, all of them "locals" now. I'm nowhere near Japan, but sushi places have been around so long they're just normal food. Same with Ethiopian (yummmmmm), Tibetan, Vietnamese, Korean, Iranian... Sometimes these things are clustered (most of the Tibetan/Nepalese places are in one neighbourhood), sometimes not so much. And there are loads of festivals, of every kind! There might be a few winter weekends without one? But I doubt it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I've made the same comment as you, @Park in other threads. For those who complain that the game is "too easy" or a "child's game", this will add a bit more of a challenge if they're willing to take it. And for those who can't wait to work their Sims up the ladder (maybe for storytelling purposes), there's always motherlode and freerealestate. For example, I'm planning to put the Goths in a penthouse and Mortimer's going into politics (I might have Cassandra lead protests against him!) -- they'll probably need freerealestate for the type of place I'm envisioning for them. But in terms of "earning" your way up the ladder, it's more a matter of money and not having to fulfill certain tasks like meet X amount of Sims and such. It's all about the Simoleons, baby! B)

Oh, and glad to see I wasn't the only one to stick a burglar alarm at the end of the walkway leading to the house in Sims 1/Sims 2. :p In Sims 3 my Brave Sims invariably beat up the burglar before the police could get there. :#

Thank you, and I apologise for being repetitive.

So in general,I would support this sort of thing. People who wish to can work around it. Speaking for myself as always.

Indeed I saw that it was not until Sims 3 that anyone could "do anything" about those nocturnal scoundrels. I know in Sims 1, they came and there was nothing one could do about them, even if the householder Sims were awake!

If I recall correctly I had read about the lone wall plank with alarm at the end of the sidewalk was mentioned in a sims play guide or cheat roster or some-such article as many were finding frustration with that "challenge". I rather appreciated how those criminals were at least polite enough to always use the front walkway!
  • Options
    No worries -- was just saying that I agree with you @Park B)

From what it sounds like, we'll be able to change the lot traits on pretty much any lot other than a few of the worst apartments which will have locked in bad traits (filthy/cursed/etc.). And I'm sure that someone will develop a mod that will even unlock those if anyone finds them too onerous.

The one drawback on my Brave Sims waking up to tackle the burglar is that they ended up short on sleep...then again, same thing when the burglar alarm went off (all but my Heavy Sleeper kid who always missed all the excitement). :o
  • Options

@stilljustme2
    My sincere apologies for the long time span between replies. I was on holiday this past week. As it is I seldom log into here on consecutive days! I merely wanted to mention that, if memory serves, the "plank at the end of the walkway" alarm did not wake the sims in residence. But it has been quite a time since I played that version of the game, I could be in error.

Furthermore another frustrating "challenge" of the "full package" version of Sims 1 was the kitchen fires. The cook and perhaps a few bystanders ended up burning to death because they lacked the sense to exit the building, and I could not direct them to leave, or if I did with the "go here" command they were too busy running about the place in a panic and failed to comply. The "firefighters" were feverishly trying to douse the flames but I found them to be quite useless at their jobs. So in summary, while I enjoy a challenge within the game, the ones they issued with the first iteration seemed rather closed-loop and unavoidable. Hopefully such challenges in this version, with the latest expansion are a bit more open-ended. I do note that with cooking fires, we now have the command "route to safety" and they do comply. Occasionally they will autonomously pull a fire extinguisher out nowhere and succeed where Sims 1 firefighters failed so miserably.
  • Options
    SkidoodilybopSkidoodilybop Posts: 123 Member
    edited October 2016
    Let me start by saying this is pure speculation and that I hope I am proven wrong when we get more information.

This was the case with The Sims 2 as well - and I liked that! The whole point of apartment living, is that it's more affordable than living in a house, and because apartments belong to the property owner, you are limited to the changes you can make! This is true to life, and creates a great challenge for you to make it work while you save up for your own adaptable space!

I appreciate your frustration with this, I was just offering my suggestion as to why apartments seem to have this limitation in-game.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member

You are right there OP.. no apartments building from the scratch, a penthouse just plummeted on some kind of platform reminding high rise building. You can't bring apartments into other worlds. No elevators in build mode and so on and so on....:(
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    GardeningGardening Posts: 207 Member
    Who here has lost interest in the sims 4 abit? I have abit I've seen the live streams and apartment and dress codes are the last of my worries I will not spend anything on this game because ATM I'm getting my money's worth and I don't really feel like I am getting at all apartments and basketball is okay but it's doesn't have much impact the biggest impact on the game was aliens and discos and clubs.