Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Definition of a Sims game

What are the core characteristics which are special for Sims games?

For EA they seem to be:
1. A sim is a character which can be modified more than characters in other games.
2. A Sim game usually have tools to build and design houses
3. Sims games are targeted at casual gamers who don't want hard or violent games. Therefore Sims games are made easy and peaceful.
4. In Sims games the sims can usually build relationships with other sims.
5. In most Sims games our sim can be married and in some of the games they can also have children.
6. Sims games are made for all platforms.
7. For the PC the mainline games are designed to have a huge number of expansions which mainly contain new buildings, new worlds, new stuff, new life forms and new careers and hobbies.
8. Other Sims games for the PC are designed to be much smaller than the mainline games.

Much of the fuss about TS4 is caused by simmers who don't agree with EA about this and think that Sims games always should be about raising a family and having children. But this obviously isn't part of EA's definition of a Sims game.

Personally I only partly agree with EA because I am not a casual gamer who only play a couple of hours each week. I play my favorite games much more and therefore prefer deeper and harder games. But I still like the Sims concept because the games are peaceful and about love more than war. (I play war games too - but violence all the time becomes boring in the long run.) I also like the Sims games because they are so different from other games.

I don't mind all the SPs. But I don't agree with EA that Sims games should mainly be about stuff and designing sims and houses because this has never been my favorite things in any Sims game. The gameplay is much more important to me.

Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    A Sims game is a sandbox game with sims in it. You can create a Sims game with a high budget and a huge team, and you can create one with a low budget and a smaller team. You can create a Sims game that needs a good computer to be able to fully enjoy and you can create one that runs perfectly on a proverbial toaster or potatoe. That's all there is to it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Not all Sims games have been sandbox games. Already the Sims Bustin' Out was a goal oriented game instead.
  • Options
    I'm referring to the four PC versions of the game, they're the only games I'm interested in.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    There have also been other Sims games like the Sims Life Stories, the Sims Castaway Stories and the Sims Medieval. Even though you could claim that they could be played as sandbox games too this wasn't really true.

As far as I can see all Sims games are meant to be played in a casual way where you can enter the game and then build, rebuild or redecorate a house or you can make a new sim or change the look of an existing sim. If you want to you can also play a little. But the gameplay is meant to only be casual and easy even though it is also meant to be played a little longer if you want to. Still the focus is on CAS, buildmode and SPs and especially in TS4 even though this also was true in the previous Sims games.
  • Options
    So there are different genres within the Sims franchise. But since you're posting your question in the section of one of the PC versions, wouldn't it be easier to focus on that? I'd say it's even impossible make one definition for different genres. Freeplay has a different set of characteristics than Sims 3 or 4.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    A Sims game is a sandbox game with sims in it. You can create a Sims game with a high budget and a huge team, and you can create one with a low budget and a smaller team. You can create a Sims game that needs a good computer to be able to fully enjoy and you can create one that runs perfectly on a proverbial toaster or potatoe. That's all there is to it.

Good points! :smiley:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    So there are different genres within the Sims franchise. But since you're posting your question in the section of one of the PC versions, wouldn't it be easier to focus on that? I'd say it's even impossible make one definition for different genres. Freeplay has a different set of characteristics than Sims 3 or 4.
    I don't think that we can understand why EA made TS4 as it is without considering the Sims game concept more generally. Your point is that you are only interested in the four biggest PC games and if you ignore all the other Sims games then you won't ever understand EA's idea with TS4. Therefore I wanted to discuss the Sims game concept more generally but still with TS4 as the base for the discussion.

I just don't believe that EA like you see the four biggest Sims games as games with a different Sims concept and a different game concept as what make them different from all the other Sims games. For EA only their size and their number of expansions seem to be the difference.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    A core for the Sims ... it really depends on the player and can't really be broken down to a list ... it is too biased on what each individual player perceives.

For some, it is the building. Making your own cities, or neighborhoods ... uploading them. For those players, building is their priority and many of them build beautiful worlds all from scratch. Others are drawn more towards family/generational play. Others are drawn to making mods ... some fall in between.

I would relate this to someone saying ... every fantasy book must have an elf in it. Alice in Wonderland isn't then a fantasy book because there are no elves.

I also disagree with this:
    Erpe wrote: »
    Much of the fuss about TS4 is caused by simmers who don't agree with EA about this and think that Sims games always should be about raising a family and having children. But this obviously isn't part of EA's definition of a Sims game.

Much of the fuss about TS4 is caused by simmers who don't agree with EA in the original direction that Sims4 took and what was left out and/or missing from the base game and what we as players feel should have been included. Much of the fuss continues due to the silence and speculation of what direction the Sims4 will take.

As for the rest, you can raise a family and have children. ( the child stage is my favorite life stage in Sims 4 ). If that is all the definition you need to define a Sims game ... then the Sims4 meets that standard, as you can raise a family in Sims4. You can have children. But it is much more than that, for those who want family play. You can't raise a toddler, there is a difference between having children and having a toddler. You have object babies tied to the bassinet and teens that are the same height as adults.

• Options
    @Gruffman There is a difference between what you want and what EA wants. Many simmers here wanted TS4 to be a different game and now they act like they have the right to play one of EA's games and then force EA to change the game. But alas I am quite sure that EA won't do that.

So you and other simmers become disappointed because EA doesn't obey you when you keep writing that TS4 now needs to be "fixed" so it anyway can become the game you wanted in the first place. So you keep fighting. But alas I am quite sure that EA still won't obey you.

I agree that the silence from the gurus is disturbing. But the silence will probably stop when the gurus know for sure what the remaining expansions for TS4 will contain. They can't tell us what those expansions will contain. But when they know the content then at least can tell us what won't be there (such as toddlers). But they can't as long as they still negotiate the content of future expansions with EA.
  • Options
    I simply don't get your OP I fear, because it's not clear to me what you're asking. I expect something completely different from Freeplay than I expect from the PC version of the game (which is why Freeplay doesn't frustrate me, it's an app game). I expect Sims 4 or 5 or 6 to at least have the same starting points as Sims 1, 2 and 3. And in fact I think Sims 4 does that to some extent, it's just got some limitations that bother one player more than the other.

The term 'casual player' always confuses me by the way. What is that? There was a time, 2010-2013, I played the game every single day. My husband used to teasingly call my real life "your commercial break between simming". Was I a casual player? It don't think Sims players are casual players at all. It's just that a lot of us play just that one game. The Sims apparently appeals to a group of people that are not into other games. My son, who plays a lot of games, is much more casual about some of them you probably wouldn't define as 'aimed at casual players'. What's a casual player?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I think it's like family play. What defines a proper sims base game is different for everyone. Sometimes what that is doesn't coincide with what EA believes it is.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I simply don't get your OP I fear, because it's not clear to me what you're asking. I expect something completely different from Freeplay than I expect from the PC version of the game (which is why Freeplay doesn't frustrate me, it's an app game). I expect Sims 4 or 5 or 6 to at least have the same starting points as Sims 1, 2 and 3. And in fact I think Sims 4 does that to some extent, it's just got some limitations that bother one player more than the other.
    Freeplay is EA's attempt to use the Sims concept also to make a free MMO game which is similar to all the other free MMO games in the app stores. Like all those other MMO games it is therefore in real time, multiplayer and whith extra things which can be bought via microtransactions. If you don't understand or like free real time MMO games then Freeplay just isn't the game for you. But it is still the best of such games in the app stores.

EA has always made Sims games for both consoles and mobile devices too. Those Sims games can't be as big or have a huge number of expansions like the big PC games. But they are still part of the Sims game family and so are the PC side games which EA always have targeted at casual gamers who maybe are scared by the size of the big games with all those expansions. So EA has always made the PC side games quite small too.
    The term 'casual player' always confuses me by the way. What is that? There was a time, 2010-2013, I played the game every single day. My husband used to teasingly call my real life "your commercial break between simming". Was I a casual player? It don't think Sims players are casual players at all. It's just that a lot of us play just that one game. The Sims apparently appeals to a group of people that are not into other games. My son, who plays a lot of games, is much more casual about some of them you probably wouldn't define as 'aimed at casual players'. What's a casual player?
    There are different definitions if you search for them. One of them is:
    "A casual gamer is a type of video game player whose time or interest in playing games is limited compared with a hardcore gamer. Casual gamers can conceivably consist of any people who show more than a passing interest in video games; therefore, it is difficult to categorize them as a group."

Other definitions are:
    "A casual gamer is someone who only plays a few games per year. The term "hardcore" is just a bad way of saying "dedicated".
    and
    "The type of game and amount of time you play it.

For instance playing 20 hours a week of candy crush makes you casual because it can fit into your life easily.

But 20 hours a week of an FPS or an MMO where you have to schedule time to play with others is hardcore because you have to fit your life around gaming."

But in this context I would say that a casual gamer is a gamer who only play games in very short periods of time and not a gamer who play a big game nonstop for hours. I believe that EA targets the Sims games at such gamers. But they aren't the kind of gamers who dominate this forum. Therefore IMO we have a conflict between the forum users and EA about TS4.

There is also a "definition" which is clearly wrong though: "A casual gamer is a gamer who play casual games." It is wrong because casual games are small games like solitaire, minesweeper etc. TS4 is targeted at casual gamers. But TS4 isn't a casual game at all.
    Post edited by Erpe on
  • Options
    SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    My definition of a sims game: SimAnt but with people! :D
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • Options
    Sel wrote: »
    My definition of a sims game: SimAnt but with people! :D
    Or SimFarm with humans instead of the other animals ;)
  • Options
    @Gruffman Wise words again! :smiley:

But it is true, there is no definition of what makes a Sims game.

To me, if they have plumbobs then they are Sims.

Start replacing those plumbobs with something like an exclamation mark then I might start to get worried... :*
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    @Gruffman There is a difference between what you want and what EA wants. Many simmers here wanted TS4 to be a different game and now they act like they have the right to play one of EA's games and then force EA to change the game. But alas I am quite sure that EA won't do that.

So you and other simmers become disappointed because EA doesn't obey you when you keep writing that TS4 now needs to be "fixed" so it anyway can become the game you wanted in the first place. So you keep fighting. But alas I am quite sure that EA still won't obey you.

I agree that the silence from the gurus is disturbing. But the silence will probably stop when the gurus know for sure what the remaining expansions for TS4 will contain. They can't tell us what those expansions will contain. But when they know the content then at least can tell us what won't be there (such as toddlers). But they can't as long as they still negotiate the content of future expansions with EA.

Actually @Erpe, I am not disappointed by the Sims4. I actually enjoy it. It holds my attention in ways that Sims3 never could. But just because I enjoy it as is doesn't mean I cannot see ways in which it still could be better. Even though I enjoy it, I can see why others find fault. I can understand their point of view in how the Sims4 lacks in their gameplay/thoughts/whatever it is for their issue.

I never cared much for Sims3, but that doesn't mean when people post pictures of their Sims3 games that I cannot see what draws them into that world and why they like the features offered, even if it isn't my proverbial cup of tea. I can understand it, I can visualize it.

As for the silence, I never see that stopping. Things change.
  • Options
    Freeplay is EA's attempt to use the Sims concept also to make a free MMO game which is similar to all the other free MMO games in the app stores. Like all those other MMO games it is therefore in real time, multiplayer and whith extra things which can be bought via microtransactions. If you don't understand or like free real time MMO games then Freeplay just isn't the game for you. But it is still the best of such games in the app stores.

EA has always made Sims games for both consoles and mobile devices too. Those Sims games can't be as big or have a huge number of expansions like the big PC games. But they are still part of the Sims game family and so are the PC side games which EA always have targeted at casual gamers who maybe are scared by the size of the big games with all those expansions. So EA has always made the PC side games quite small too.
    There are different definitions if you search for them. One of them is:
    "A casual gamer is a type of video game player whose time or interest in playing games is limited compared with a hardcore gamer. Casual gamers can conceivably consist of any people who show more than a passing interest in video games; therefore, it is difficult to categorize them as a group."

Other definitions are:
    "A casual gamer is someone who only plays a few games per year. The term "hardcore" is just a bad way of saying "dedicated".
    and
    "The type of game and amount of time you play it.

For instance playing 20 hours a week of candy crush makes you casual because it can fit into your life easily.

But 20 hours a week of an FPS or an MMO where you have to schedule time to play with others is hardcore because you have to fit your life around gaming."

But in this context I would say that a casual gamer is a gamer who only play games in very short periods of time and not a gamer who play a big game nonstop for hours. I believe that EA targets the Sims games at such gamers. But they aren't the kind of gamers who dominate this forum. Therefore IMO we have a conflict between the forum users and EA about TS4.

There is also a "definition" which is clearly wrong though: "A casual gamer is a gamer who play casual games." It is wrong because casual games are small games like solitaire, minesweeper etc. TS4 is targeted at casual gamers. But TS4 isn't a casual game at all.
    Yes, you kind of underline my confusion about the casual player and casual games there I think, because it sounds fuzzy to me. But we seem to kind of agree about that?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Gruffman wrote: »

Actually @Erpe, I am not disappointed by the Sims4. I actually enjoy it. It holds my attention in ways that Sims3 never could. But just because I enjoy it as is doesn't mean I cannot see ways in which it still could be better. Even though I enjoy it, I can see why others find fault. I can understand their point of view in how the Sims4 lacks in their gameplay/thoughts/whatever it is for their issue.

I never cared much for Sims3, but that doesn't mean when people post pictures of their Sims3 games that I cannot see what draws them into that world and why they like the features offered, even if it isn't my proverbial cup of tea. I can understand it, I can visualize it.

As for the silence, I never see that stopping. Things change.

Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    A game is like art and it is what it is to the eye of the beholder and in that aspect it applies to Sims 4 as well. Some like it and some don't. Sims 4 for me does not take me to that spot the other versions did where I can play for hours and lose sense of time but that is me and it different for other players. Maybe it is the game and maybe I am getting older and I want to focus on something else. Sims 4 is going to run it's course to whatever end it may meet and Seeing Sims 5 is nothing more than speculation and Half Life series is an example because most people thought that Half Life series being so successful that there would be a Half Life 3 and it has been many years and no sight of it and that is how I look at this series.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    A game is like art and it is what it is to the eye of the beholder and in that aspect it applies to Sims 4 as well. Some like it and some don't. Sims 4 for me does not take me to that spot the other versions did where I can play for hours and lose sense of time but that is me and it different for other players. Maybe it is the game and maybe I am getting older and I want to focus on something else. Sims 4 is going to run it's course to whatever end it may meet and Seeing Sims 5 is nothing more than speculation and Half Life series is an example because most people thought that Half Life series being so successful that there would be a Half Life 3 and it has been many years and no sight of it and that is how I look at this series.
    I think that the difference is that Valve is too smal a company to keep developing Steam, Halflife, Counterstike, Portal and several other games all the time and several of those games are successful. Valve has only about 330 employees while EA has about 8500. So EA can easily keep developing many more games and for all platforms. EA may stop making SimCity games. But not Sims games in any foreseeable future.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    I'm not about to be drawn into an extensive debate about what constitutes a Sims game (a totally subjective undertaking at best), so I'm just going to quote Justice Potter Stewart by saying "...I know it when I see it..." and leave it at that.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I think that the difference is that Valve is too smal a company to keep developing Steam, Halflife, Counterstike, Portal and several other games all the time and several of those games are successful. Valve has only about 330 employees while EA has about 8500. So EA can easily keep developing many more games and for all platforms. EA may stop making SimCity games. But not Sims games in any foreseeable future.
    Maybe and maybe not being a company's success is not determined by the amount of employees it employs however their store at the moment is their main focus and not Half life 3 and as far Sims games goes that is speculation as far as I see it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    @Goldmoldar EA has made a huge number of Sims games for many years and for all platforms. Nothing points in the direction that EA suddenly should stop with that (except that some simmers in this forum don't like TS4). On the contrary Maxis has several teams occupied with different projects at the same time (SPs, GPs and EPs) and Firemonkeys in Australia is still developing the Sims Freeplay too. There is a good chance that TS5 also is in development and maybe even also other new not yet announced Sims games.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Goldmoldar EA has made a huge number of Sims games for many years and for all platforms. Nothing points in the direction that EA suddenly should stop with that (except that some simmers in this forum don't like TS4). On the contrary Maxis has several teams occupied with different projects at the same time (SPs, GPs and EPs) and Firemonkeys in Australia is still developing the Sims Freeplay too. There is a good chance that TS5 also is in development and maybe even also other new not yet announced Sims games.
    But it is still speculation, if EA/Maxis continues to produce Sims games that is all and good but you are looking in from the outside and not part of the machine that drives them so you and everyone else can do is speculate for nothing is written in stone on what direction EA/Maxis moving in. if EA/Maxis moving in the direction you are saying that is good but again it is speculation and I would like to see another Sims game but only time will tell. Regardless of how many teams there are working on a project it still does make it an successful company because each company handles their projects differently. and I am not saying EA/Maxis is not successful.
  • Options
    But it is still speculation, if EA/Maxis continues to produce Sims games that is all and good but you are looking in from the outside and not part of the machine that drives them so you and everyone else can do is speculate for nothing is written in stone on what direction EA/Maxis moving in. if EA/Maxis moving in the direction you are saying that is good but again it is speculation and I would like to see another Sims game but only time will tell. Regardless of how many teams there are working on a project it still does make it an successful company because each company handles their projects differently. and I am not saying EA/Maxis is not successful.
    EA has always been about marketing much more than other game companies because EA was started as a publishing company and not by somebody who wanted to make games and EA's focus is still on marketing much more than it is on developing the games. Therefore things are more simple for EA than it is for other game companies where a developer can get an idea for new game and this idea then distracts the whole company because such a thing could never happen in EA.

But this means that EA always will continue to make a game series as long as this is profitable and always will stop a game series if it isn't. Spore wasn't profitable so EA stopped the series. But the Sims game have always given EA a huge profit. Therefore it is very unlikely that EA will give up on making Sims games even if one of them should be seen as having disappointing sales numbers. EA just won't give up so easily and I actually don't believe that the sales numbers for TS4 is so disappointing after all.