Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Game Keeps Not Responding

dancergirlcbdancergirlcb Posts: 96 Member
edited September 2016 in PC - Technical Discussions
Whenever I play the sims 4 it will be okay for a little bit but then it will just freeze and say it is not responding in the corner of the screen like "The Sims 4 (Not Responding)" (I have it in windowed mode to try to make it not so laggy). Sometimes it will also be stuck at a certain speed and won't let me pause or change how fast it is going and the sims will just stop what they were doing and stand there nodding their heads. I don't know if it is because my computer can't handle the game, or if I have too many mods/cc, or a combination of both. I tried checking it and I honestly got so confused and was wondering if anybody could help me find out. My configuration settings are:
=== Application info ===
Name: Sims4
Version: 1.22.22.1020
Build: Release 64 Bit
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3691 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4722 RAM: 8117 Adjusted RAM: 7605 Cores: 2
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 10 10.0.14393
OS prod type:
OS major ver: 10
OS minor ver: 0
OS SP major ver:
OS SP minor ver:
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
Family: 6
Model: 12
Cores: 2
HT: 1
x64: 1
Memory: 8117MB
Free memory: 4176MB
VA space: 134217728MB
User: dance
Computer: DESKTOP-4B8S9I5
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
Name (database): 4th Gen Intel(R) Core processor graphics HD 4400 - Reserved Haswell [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 041e, Board: 2b2c103c, Chipset: 0006
Driver: igdumdim64.dll, Version: 20.19.15.4360, GUID: D7B78E66-475E-11CF-8462-230BBAC2D935
Driver version: 4360
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 112MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz
=== Options ===
NumBoots 38
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
ObjectQuality 1
VisualEffects 1
PostProcessing 0
UseUncompressedTextures 1
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
SimQuality 1
ViewDistance 1
AdvancedRendering 1
VerticalSync 0
UseHiDpi 1
UiScale 100
ResolutionWidth 1920
ResolutionHeight 1017
ResolutionRefresh 0
SceneResolution 2
VisualQuality 0
FullScreen 0
WindowedFullScreen 0
FrameRateLimit 200
DisableScreensaverInFullscreenMode 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
MasterLevel 0
VoiceLevel 0
SoundFXLevel 0
MusicLevel 0
MenuMusicLevel 0
UISoundSXLevel 0
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
MoodChange 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
UIMute 0
AmbientMute 0
MatchSpeedStereoMusic 1
EdgeScrolling 1
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
EnableTelemetry 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
AdvancedCamera 0
ScreenshotPostUI 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 1
VideoCaptureTime 0
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
AutonomyHousehold 3
AutonomyDisabledForActiveSim 1
SimsSetAgeSpeed 1
SimsSetAgingEnabled 1
TradSocialMenuEnabled 0
MemoriesHelperEnabled 1
AutoAgeUnplayed 1
NPCReplacement 1
TutorialEnabled 0
ShowModListStartup 1
ModsDisabled 0
ScriptModsEnabled 1
ShowOnlineNotifications 1
AutoReconnect 1
OnlineAccess 1
DisableComments 0
HideReportedContent 0
=== Default Options ===
NumBoots 4294967295
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
ObjectQuality 1
VisualEffects 1
PostProcessing 0
UseUncompressedTextures 0
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
SimQuality 1
ViewDistance 3
AdvancedRendering 1
VerticalSync 0
UseHiDpi 1
UiScale 100
ResolutionWidth 1182
ResolutionHeight 665
ResolutionRefresh 4294967295
SceneResolution 3
VisualQuality 2
FullScreen 0
WindowedFullScreen 0
FrameRateLimit 200
DisableScreensaverInFullscreenMode 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
MasterLevel 255
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
MenuMusicLevel 255
UISoundSXLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
MoodChange 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
UIMute 0
AmbientMute 0
MatchSpeedStereoMusic 1
EdgeScrolling 1
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
EnableTelemetry 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
AdvancedCamera 0
ScreenshotPostUI 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 1
VideoCaptureTime 0
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
AutonomyHousehold 3
AutonomyDisabledForActiveSim 0
SimsSetAgeSpeed 1
SimsSetAgingEnabled 2
TradSocialMenuEnabled 0
MemoriesHelperEnabled 1
AutoAgeUnplayed 1
NPCReplacement 1
TutorialEnabled 1
ShowModListStartup 1
ModsDisabled 0
ScriptModsEnabled 0
ShowOnlineNotifications 1
AutoReconnect 1
OnlineAccess 1
DisableComments 0
HideReportedContent 0

I'm not 100% if this is the right thing to look at so sorry if it isn't. I do have a lot of cc and some of the MC Command mods even though I think it says my mods are disabled. Thanks for any help you give! :smile: (sorry if I posted this in the wrong place)

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hello
    Move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try lowering your graphics settings and see if that helps.

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to My Games in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

Turn off origin in-game
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/deactivate-origin-in-game/

Try playing in offline mode and see if that helps.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    That report shows you are running the game on an Intel 4400 chip - which isn't a "real" graphics card; it's a part of the processor that is pretending to be a graphics card. (Much in the way that jumping off of a bridge could be called flying.) While the 4400 is strong enough to get the game up and running, integrated graphics are prone to random crashes from overheating - they are very easily overwhelmed, because they are not designed to handle 3D graphics. Considering you're only playing on a low-end i3 to start with, asking it to do two jobs at once is like suicide for the poor thing.

That being said, I would also suggest trying to vanilla game as previously suggested. I would try the game with the fresh copy for a few minutes to see how it performs, before adding all of your old content back in - that will show you how the game itself is working, without the possible interference from corrupted CC/mods/lots/sims/worlds/saves etc.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I will see if those things help. In regards to the graphics card thing, what would you suggest I do? Could I buy one to add to my computer or something to see if that has anything to do with it or can you not do that?
  • Options
    I see the word "Desktop" mentioned in that report - if it is, typically, yes, you can buy a new graphics card. You have to make sure that there is physically room in the tower/case for one, though - and you also have to ensure that you get one that will work with your power supply. (Or you'll have to upgrade the power supply as well.)

If it's an all-in-one model, then no, you can't upgrade the graphics - they are just a laptop in a big screen. Do you know the actual model of your desktop?
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
  • Options
    It is an HP Pavilion Desktop 550-182.

• Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    OUCH http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04796700

180 Watt PSU, can't support a stand alone graphics card on that, need a bigger power supply. It does have a PCIe slot so, with a bigger power supply, it could take a graphics card. You may want to look into that or, talk to a shop about having a higher wattage PSU and a decent graphics card put in the computer.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    Eeeeeeeeeh - looking at the specs for that model from HP, they claim it only has a 180W power supply - I didn't even know they made computers that sold with such a low power supply. You're not going to be able to add ANYTHING to the system with that - the lowest dedicated graphics card needs at least a ~350W power supply, with average being closer to ~450W+. Depending on the graphics card you would be considering, that would dictate how strong of a power supply you would need.

If you did upgrade the PSU and graphics card, you would then have a huge bottleneck with that i3 processor. That kind of computer is intended to be cheap and disposable, not really the kind of thing you'd upgrade. One "simple" upgrade can quickly snowball into a fiasco that cost more than the computer did to start with.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the information! Would a Dell XPS 8900 work good with the sims 4 (it's my mom's computer)?
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited September 2016
    All the listed XPS 8900s I've found are equipped with a dedicated graphics card.

To make sure your particular XPS 8900 has a dedicated graphics card, could you post your DxDiag?
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/dxdiag.htm
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    I talked to my mom about it, and I'm probably just going to get a new computer or have my grandpa build me one. Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    I talked to my mom about it, and I'm probably just going to get a new computer or have my grandpa build me one. Thanks for all the help!

Hello :)
    If you decide on getting a new computer, you may like to post details about the computer here before buying it , and simmers will help you to see if you would be able to run sims 4 on it.