Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who's still playing the Sims 1 from time to time?

Comments

• Options
    RosedustRosedust Posts: 41 Member
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 I had forgotten! And I've played since the beginning.nwhen it happened I was like: "What the heck?" Darn Grim Reaper. And they got burgled a few nights later. Love this game!

I remember the very fist time I had a robber show up. Scared the wits out of me! (Keep in mind I was also 10) My little simmy was going along sleeping then that music started.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Rosedust wrote: »
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 I had forgotten! And I've played since the beginning.nwhen it happened I was like: "What the heck?" Darn Grim Reaper. And they got burgled a few nights later. Love this game!

I remember the very fist time I had a robber show up. Scared the wits out of me! (Keep in mind I was also 10) My little simmy was going along sleeping then that music started.

That music was creepy! I would have been 13/14 when the game launched and it creeped me out no end!
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Goldbear86

I never started playing Sims games until series 3 and hardly had any concept of series 2 apart from a couple of plays at a friends house now I am playing 2 more and as said a million times before so looking forward to getting 1 back to learn to play.. 6 months ago all I would have cared about was the 3 open world and the graphics but after delving into 2 and becoming hooked by all the animations and depth of play I had never experienced before I decided I wanted to experience the full range of sims games and bought the series 1 complete collection so I am going backwards lol I do not care about the graphics much in 1 either I just want to experience the game play and the antics..

I hate to say it but I play 4 when I just want to play mindlessly without much effort on my part as although everything might look good to me it reminds me of a mobile game without much substance..
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I know what you mean.
    I'm glad you want to see the game how it was in the beginning! I can't fault TS2 either. Awesome game. I hope you enjoy the sims 1!
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Sel wrote: »
    Also, I believe the Tragic Clown only shows up when you have the painting in your house, so if you don't want him there he shouldn't come.. :smiley:

The Tragic Clown shows up when you have unhappy Sims on the lot.
    I read if you burned it, he would go away. The was no option to burn it, so I'm thinking that may have been a rumor. When you send away the unhappy Sims or you raise everyone's needs he goes away anyway, so that seems like a waste of time to try to start the fire and risk losing other things in the process. :/
    I never bought that painting as it most certainly did not go with any of my decor and i did have him appear on my lots a few times over the years.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    @Anmirla

Looks like I will have to make sure my sims are not unhappy then lol
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I think my favorite thing about the original Sims (besides the drunk gnomes) is the random occurrences.

I had Santa show up on the side of my lot ho-ho-hoing a few times. It was the funniest thing to watch my Sim unwrap the present, not like it and stomp the crap out of it! >:)
    When my Sims did get something they liked, they clapped. I've read that Santa left usable items, but that didn't happen for me (except in TS2). Maybe that's the difference between actually summoning him and having him randomly show up.

I love the pink gorilla that will wander onto the lot. She does the cake dancer interactions.

My favorite of all time was the biggest surprise. The Grim Reaper comes strolling down the sidewalk. I was shocked because everyone was at work or school. I paused the game to see if a neighbor or townie was somehow "buying the farm" (which shouldn't happen while no one is home). I was thinking, I don't have any pets to starve except goldfish and they are objects, so...
    Grimmy floated up to my front door, rang the bell and hauled butt. WHAT?! The Grim Reaper can play Ding-Dong Ditch!
  • Options
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Also, I believe the Tragic Clown only shows up when you have the painting in your house, so if you don't want him there he shouldn't come.. :smiley:

The Tragic Clown shows up when you have unhappy Sims on the lot.
    I read if you burned it, he would go away. The was no option to burn it, so I'm thinking that may have been a rumor. When you send away the unhappy Sims or you raise everyone's needs he goes away anyway, so that seems like a waste of time to try to start the fire and risk losing other things in the process. :/
    I never bought that painting as it most certainly did not go with any of my decor and i did have him appear on my lots a few times over the years.

To burn it you need to hang it above something like a fire place and if there was objects near the fireplace it could catch on fire.

It took me ages to get rid of him after he showed up at the Goths when Mortimer died and came back as a zombie.
  • Options
    @Anmirla

What a fab story about Santa and the sim not pleased with the gift typical sim lol I noticed watching a lets play earlier that sims appear to clap or boo at all sorts of things and wondered why..

Never seen the pink gorilla either so looking forward to that lol

Grimmy scares the heck out of me in games where sims can die quickly but I have never heard/seen of him doing that in any series but it would have been a laugh to see it. Even the lets play had me laughing so much with sim antics and it made me think the further we go back in sims series the game seem to get funnier :)

@Goldbear86

when you say took you ages to get rid of the clown what happens when sims have to go to work or you send them out of the home what does the clown do then?
  • Options
    I was thinking about this some weeks ago and maybe someone on this thread can confirm. I swear this is in TS1, but I might be wrong and it's in TS2.
    When the raccoon wanders onto the lot, he can get into a fight with your pets (or any strays on present). They start scruffing and dust is flying. You will see body parts coming out of the dust ball and one of them come out like they are trying to crawl away only to be dragged back into the dust. The raccoon will come out of the dust ball backwards, do a boxing dance and go back into the dust. :D

Also, is it actually implied that cats eat the bunnies that invade your garden? I can't remember. I really didn't play with pets too much in any of the iterations.
  • Options
    @Anmirla

lol I don't play with pets much either for some reason I thinks it's because my sims are usually too busy enjoying themselves-) I know those raccoons drive me nuts in 2 though as they always seem to be around but now you have said that the next time I play 2 I will give a family a pet and wait and see if it happens with raccoons and if it's not what you outline above then it probably happened in 1-) I admit things can be really funny when your not expecting it to happen and coming from 3 into 2 sometimes I just sit and watch their antics and laugh at them and I think 1 is going to be a lot like this as well ( if I can keep them alive long enough that is-)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Anmirla

What a fab story about Santa and the sim not pleased with the gift typical sim lol I noticed watching a lets play earlier that sims appear to clap or boo at all sorts of things and wondered why..

Never seen the pink gorilla either so looking forward to that lol

Grimmy scares the heck out of me in games where sims can die quickly but I have never heard/seen of him doing that in any series but it would have been a laugh to see it. Even the lets play had me laughing so much with sim antics and it made me think the further we go back in sims series the game seem to get funnier :)

@Goldbear86

when you say took you ages to get rid of the clown what happens when sims have to go to work or you send them out of the home what does the clown do then?

In my Goth house, he just hung around. Walking between the Goth bathroom and kitchen. I didn't have the heart to get rid of him a I felt sorry for him. Plus I was kind of enjoying having the original clown around. I don't think I've even seen the tragic clown in the sims 4.

I was playing earlier, the adult male in the house took his wife out on a date wearing his pyjamas! I had forgotten they could play footsie at the table in between courses and they could kiss and cuddle whilst dining.
  • Options
    Anmirla wrote: »
    I was thinking about this some weeks ago and maybe someone on this thread can confirm. I swear this is in TS1, but I might be wrong and it's in TS2.
    When the raccoon wanders onto the lot, he can get into a fight with your pets (or any strays on present). They start scruffing and dust is flying. You will see body parts coming out of the dust ball and one of them come out like they are trying to crawl away only to be dragged back into the dust. The raccoon will come out of the dust ball backwards, do a boxing dance and go back into the dust. :D

Also, is it actually implied that cats eat the bunnies that invade your garden? I can't remember. I really didn't play with pets too much in any of the iterations.

I think that might be TS1 with the raccoon, but not 100%. Will try loading up both games later on today, (it's 2:50 am) and see what happens. When I played TS1 earlier I had a few raccoons but nothing like that. I did have two random stray cats fighting!

Wouldn't surprise me if that was inferred, the sims 1 does have a dark sense of humour. I think cats could be trained to chase animals off your vegetable patches as that's a problem. I will have to test it :smiley:

• Options
    @Goldbear86

I did not even know they had a clown in 4 lol that's shows how little I play it-)

Dating in pajama's, footsie, kiss and cuddle at the table sounds fun I had no idea they has those sort of animations in 1 in fact I thought there was no woohoo types of stuff at all?

If the raccoon turns out to be a 1 this that's something else for me top watch out for :)
  • Options
    SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    edited September 2016
    The raccoon in TS1 is kinda like the one in TS3, it comes to your lot at night and destroys your trashcan! :D
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • Options
    @Goldbear86

I did not even know they had a clown in 4 lol that's shows how little I play it-)

Dating in pajama's, footsie, kiss and cuddle at the table sounds fun I had no idea they has those sort of animations in 1 in fact I thought there was no woohoo types of stuff at all?

If the raccoon turns out to be a 1 this that's something else for me top watch out for :)

There's no woohoo but if you buy the love heart bed then sims have the option to "play in bed" and they disappear under the covers. That bed also has a vibrate function! There is a chance whilst using the bed you will get a pop up asking if you want a baby.

Yeah the sims one has lots of romance interactions considering, from the top of my head there is sauve, polite, peck, romantic, passionate and dip kisses. (There is more but I've forgotten) There is also kisses for Dining out, they can make out in the booths and cuddle Inbetween courses. They can make out on a rug in front of a fire place, can make out on a picnic blanket (and can apply sun block to each other which I think is cute) Up until yesterday I had forgotten they could play footsie while on a date whilst eating. Even The Sims 2 didn't have that feature!

Another feature I had forgotten was there was the slow dance!

I think knowing that the sims 1 had so many romantic interactions and social interactions, it's why I can't fully accept the sims 4 relationships, they are lacklustre in comparision, there's just no.. Depth. It's sad the first installment of the game is wiping the floor with the fourth game.

I'll be honest I've yet to see the Tragic clown in the sims 4 in my game, I have seen him once I think in someone's LP.

I found all my sims one strategy guides and I was so excited.
  • Options
    You must watch drunk gnomes!
    There is a bench that you can craft your own gnomes. Just be careful that you don't use it for long periods of time or your Sim will become ill. Use the spell to bring them to life. Buy a wine vat and turn the little fellows loose. They will float and swim in the vat. When they get out, they will stumble and sing. Oh, how I miss the humor of the original!

If you want to see their dark side, use the Perfect Garden (Greener Garden?) charm. They will become irate and kick your Sim in the shin. You can hear the anger in their little voices. It is absolutely hilarious!!! :D

Makin' Magic brought quite a few unexpected surprises. Be careful if you turn another Sim into a toad. Pets can come along and eat the toad! >:)

Oh, and baby dragons! The few times I did play with pets, I would love watching my dragon play with the pets. Be careful with them as well. They could eat your flowers, hence destroying them and they could also, well, burn your house down... :*

That's something that is really missing from the latest iteration. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 happens, and it was funny. There was no worrying about being politically correct or offending anyone. It was all in good fun and was fun. You could overlook how hard and frustrating it was to keep up with your Sims needs and making them progress because it was just fun. The evidence is in the fact that 16 years later, we are still playing it! :tongue:
  • Options
    also couldn't you get sick and die from a guinea pig biting you? man, the sims used to be a lot more "mature" than it is now :D
  • Options
    also couldn't you get sick and die from a guinea pig biting you? man, the sims used to be a lot more "mature" than it is now :D

Yep. Viewing the guinea pig picture would cure your Sim.
    Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    @Sel

Not sure why but I don't remember the raccoon's as much in 3 as I do 2 lol In 2 they seem more bothersome but that could just be me :)

@Goldbear86 @Anmirla

the woohoo function sounds okay I thought I read somewhere there was no woohoo and no babies so that must have been very wrong lol

The romance options and slow dance sound great and quite surprising for a first series..

Coming from 3 into 2 and really loving that I am sure I will like playing 1 because there will be things in this series I find cute and fascinating :)

To be really honest I play 4 only if I need to play mindlessly without any planning or forethought lol Its okay if I just feel like a few family outings and then I am bored..

Drunk Gnomes I love the idea and the method of how the gnomes comes into life and the kicking of the sims shin when they are angry :)

Eating the toad, dragons and fires sounds like dangerous fun and before I try all that I need to something to keep my sims alive if the worst happens :)

I know what you mean about games being fun instead of politically correct as the further back I have gone in a this series the more fun and uncomplicated it has been :)

I just downloaded some of the 1 guides in anticipation of getting a call tomorrow saying my laptop is finished...come get it :)
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I hope you get the call tomorrow! Can I ask where you are downloading the guides from? I'm missing two.
  • Options
    Hi @Goldbear86

I have downloaded ( well copied and paste on words docs) some info from the following site but I am not sure if they are any good yet or all there...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/930408-the-sims-complete-collection/faqs
  • Options
    the further back I have gone in a this series the more fun and uncomplicated it has been :)

I totally agree!
  • Options
    Thanks for that!

The pets one is useful. I need to get one for making magic and superstar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top