The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Influencer is, I must admit, a confusing term for me. Are they indeed meant to influence simmers?

I think they're meant to influence non-simmers. Simmers already know what they think of the game. I think the idea of Influencers is they publish material that gets indexed by Google and helps expose The Sims to more people who might not otherwise stumble upon it. In fact the term I would have coined if I had been EA would be "Publicity Partners"
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited August 2016
    No the influencer thing isn't new or unique, that's actually true. The company I used to work for employed a lot of "influencers" as well to promote their brand and products. These people were often hand-picked from a crowd of youtubers / social media advocates of their or similar products, and were then sent free products & goodies to review them. This seems innocent and logical enough, and most brands do this nowadays, but people have a tendency to be so excited about free stuff (and the companies that give it to them) that they spend more time talking about how amazing everything is than about truly criticizing the product or brand. And that's sort of normal, really. Plus, if you don't have to pay for something, you don't have as much to lose if it isn't exactly perfect anyway. LGR for instance doesn't sugarcoat everything, and doesn't mind saying that a product he got for free really doesn't do it for him. And I would go as far as to say that to most people, LGR's one of the biggest influencers. But overall, influencers aren't the only people EA should listen to, and that relationship is probably far less two-sided than they make it seem. Because the promise of free products alone, in exchange for promoting them on your youtube channel, is a slightly manipulative marketing tactic. At its base, this isn't about getting feedback to change your product, but increasing its visibility and therefore, its profit. In the end, EA gains more from this than all these influencers combined ever will. Actually, that particular company I worked for resembles EA a lot in many of its thought processes. When I offered to improve certain things (in my free time even), their standard answer was that the particular customers I wanted to attract by this (and mind you, sometimes "these customers" were entire countries, and large countries at that) weren't the people they were interested in. I never understood that argument, because a) I wanted to do something they wouldn't have to invest any real time into, and I didn't even want any compensation in return (nor would I set aside other jobs for it, so my output would've been more or less the same to them, it just mattered to me), and b) if you have the chance to significantly enlarge your customer base, why wouldn't you? It's kind of like Drake stressed the importance of building to some communities. Yeah, alright, but build mode is already pretty advanced anyway. They've already got a very solid basis to be happy, they're already being catered to since the very beginning of TS4. At what point will the rest matter to you just as much? At what point will you also reshape things that matter to other people? TS4 isn't a bulding game as far as I'm aware. And saying that "family play" isn't everybody's cup of tea? I'm sorry, but the point about the sims is that you're able to choose your style of play no? You can't just decide that now, suddenly, people just have to adjust to the play style EA considers more important and be happy about it, or else .. stop complaining? Mhm.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2016
    I just made a video in response to this thread. For some reason it won't let me link it, but if you go on my website (TS4News.com) it's front and center. It's more generally about EA's communications strategy, but I have a bunch of quotes from this thread so I hope you guys will check it out. I used two quotes from @sparkfairy1 and @Cinebar, and of course a bunch from @SimGuruDrake.

Enjoy guys :smile:

Well said!

Awesome video!

I suggest @SimGuruDrake to show this video to the whole team on a big screen, maybe they will get it finally.

It's pretty simple: Give us the Toddlers (we have been waiting for for two years) and we are happy. Main problem solved. Simple, right?
    Post edited by rudy8292 on
  • Options
    DaleylifeDaleylife Posts: 128 Member
    I just made a video in response to this thread. For some reason it won't let me link it, but if you go on my website (TS4News.com) it's front and center. It's more generally about EA's communications strategy, but I have a bunch of quotes from this thread so I hope you guys will check it out. I used two quotes from @sparkfairy1 and @Cinebar, and of course a bunch from @SimGuruDrake.

I think I can post it... let's see:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1pHtTm1CnWk
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

Well said!

Awesome video!

I suggest @SimGuruDrake to show this video to the whole team on a big screen, maybe they will get it finally.

It's pretty simple: Give us the Toddlers (we have been waiting for for two years) and we are happy. Main problem solved. Simple, right?

Yes, why not, good idea. I would say that especially The Sims Studios Executive Producer/General Manager needs to see it, and why not pop in here and talk to us.

Putting this as a reminder why I think she should:

GC: So you’re satisfied that not having toddlers was the right choice?
    RF: That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time. So absolutely, I feel like it’s the best decision for the game to date. I’m not talking about future stuff. But I do think it’s important to know, that players play in very different ways. We see all kinds of different play styles and family players are very passionate, so are players that play other ways.
    And I want to make sure that all of those voices are considered when people are thinking about whether or not we’ve included the right things. Because we do, we take it very seriously about whether or not we’re approaching all of those different play styles. We take it just as seriously as the players do that are asking for the things that they want.

I'm not sure I understand why toddlers would interfere with all the different playstyle she says this game has?

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz4I3TrRO83
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Well said!

Awesome video!

Yes, why not, good idea. I would say that especially The Sims Studios Executive Producer/General Manager needs to see it, and why not pop in here and talk to us.

Putting this as a reminder why I think she should:

GC: So you’re satisfied that not having toddlers was the right choice?
    RF: That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time. So absolutely, I feel like it’s the best decision for the game to date. I’m not talking about future stuff. But I do think it’s important to know, that players play in very different ways. We see all kinds of different play styles and family players are very passionate, so are players that play other ways.
    And I want to make sure that all of those voices are considered when people are thinking about whether or not we’ve included the right things. Because we do, we take it very seriously about whether or not we’re approaching all of those different play styles. We take it just as seriously as the players do that are asking for the things that they want.

I'm not sure I understand why toddlers would interfere with all the different playstyle she says this game has?

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz4I3TrRO83

Oh yes I remember that interview, must have been around a year ago now?

I don't know what was more interesting o ready though, the interview, or the forums afterwards... :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    KushakovKushakov Posts: 20 Member
    @Kushakov Couldn't have said it better myself :smile:

I really hope that this is the 'storm before the calm' and maybe TS5 would be better in the future.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :smiley:

Thanks :smile: Been here for 7 years already but this whole situation just really made me want to express my opinion.
    By the way, the community team works really bad here in Russia. Our community manager just reads messages but don't reply. Therefore we can't make any contests, but that's another topic :blush:
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    @MocaJava @simIrrevirre I agree with you too. It seems that features, which have been in all or almost all sims games are all of the sudden the most horrible things for some players. Every game will have features, which do not fit your play style, but helps other players to play theirs. I think we all have the right to get the features we need to make our games fun. It doesn't take much to age up a sim, if supernaturals were back like in Sims 2, you can easily ignore them etc.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Great video. You're a very good debater and everything you have to say there is simply true.
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Influencer is, I must admit, a confusing term for me. Are they indeed meant to influence simmers?

I think they're meant to influence non-simmers. Simmers already know what they think of the game. I think the idea of Influencers is they publish material that gets indexed by Google and helps expose The Sims to more people who might not otherwise stumble upon it. In fact the term I would have coined if I had been EA would be "Publicity Partners"
    Oh, ok, well, they're totally there for marketing reasons then. They don't represent fans in general. I can't even begin to imagine why any Sims fan would want such a role. Like I said, not even for a game you're enthousiastic about (and we've all been there, otherwise we wouldn't be here ;)).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I can't even begin to imagine why any Sims fan would want such a role. Like I said, not even for a game you're enthousiastic about (and we've all been there, otherwise we wouldn't be here ;)).

Well there are various reasons. Some people enjoy getting invited to the various events and getting the game early, others like having people visit their site and read what they post or just plain enjoy imparting information. Others may have more pecuniary reasons like lots of page hits raising advertising revenue.

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Great video. You're a very good debater and everything you have to say there is simply true.
    IngeJones wrote: »

Oh, ok, well, they're totally there for marketing reasons then. They don't represent fans in general. I can't even begin to imagine why any Sims fan would want such a role. Like I said, not even for a game you're enthousiastic about (and we've all been there, otherwise we wouldn't be here ;)).

You don't really?

You are sought out, given a pack to try early, get asked to go to an event. Your feedback on the content is demanded. Also free stuff. It's a high honour, I'd have thought. I don't see why anybody would want personal recognition from Maxis as a simmer.

Also, have you guys not noticed the people who say "Well, I'll wait for reviews, before I buy". They influence all of us, in some way, small or large. Thousands, as an example, read SimsVIP. When I'm on forum breaks, which is more often than I'll admit, I read the news there. It keeps me relatively up to date. They go to every EA event for The Sims. They do previews and reviews. They have influence. It's not just about the non-simmers. If you're a non-simmer, why would you even be looking up sims content?

• Options
    Kushakov wrote: »
    @Kushakov Couldn't have said it better myself :smile:

I really hope that this is the 'storm before the calm' and maybe TS5 would be better in the future.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :smiley:

Thanks :smile: Been here for 7 years already but this whole situation just really made me want to express my opinion.
    By the way, the community team works really bad here in Russia. Our community manager just reads messages but don't reply. Therefore we can't make any contests, but that's another topic :blush:

Well you know good English so you should also be welcome to post here as well :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited August 2016
    congratulations SimGurus you got into my video about how not to deal with feedback from your customers!

https://youtu.be/tQrWsPcTVAk?t=6m52s

actually that one post on page 10 takes up like half the video. (starts at 6 minutes 52 seconds, as the forum embedding doesn't let me to refer to a timestamp.)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,611 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I rarely look at SimsVIP. It is one-sided. I have heard of people being prebanned on there for just trying to join. She can do whatever she wants with her site, but I do not have to subscibe to it. I would probably be prebanned anyway. I am not exactly a fangirl.
    I think I joined there years ago, probably when it started taking off after TS3 store theft scandal lol (didn't those peopele just get an account ban for that? Doesn't seem like it could have been anything else in view of the current situation) but I rarely go there now since ts4 came out, it's gone downhill and is pretty crappy now anyway.

I detest watching let's plays and reviews on youtube, except for LGR cos he often makes me laugh - though even with his, not so much these days.
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    I rarely look at SimsVIP. It is one-sided. I have heard of people being prebanned on there for just trying to join. She can do whatever she wants with her site, but I do not have to subscibe to it. I would probably be prebanned anyway. I am not exactly a fangirl.

Jup, I am one of the blocked people. Being critical about them or the game will get you banned. That's just how it is.

That's crazy! I'm actually seeing more and more people being critical over there now and on other sites. They can't block everybody. It wasn't like this a year ago... That's how I know people are becoming very unsatisfied.

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Just popping in to ask that could somebody please write on my wall if Drake decides to come back and talk some more? I'm hoping she will quote and answer my comments direct (I know, pigs will fly, right?) with some straight up answers (more flying pigs) before I fully log off. I hate being left hanging.

It would be much appreciated. *thumb up*

--T
  • Options

Jup, I am one of the blocked people. Being critical about them or the game will get you banned. That's just how it is.

I will have to try and see if they prebanned me! :tongue:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top