Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Doesn't Look Like it Rains that Much to Me

A lot of people I know who play TS3 complain that it rains "too much" with seasons and a lot of them turn off rain (and hail) often. Honestly, I don't see it happen quite that often. Of the 15 days of spring-summer-autumn it rains maybe 5 of those, 4 of those 5 on average T-storms.
Although I do have rainier years than others, like one time it did rain about every other day, but then I didn't get any rain til autumn was almost over. One summer it got up to 103 and stormed the next 2 days after, much like real life (at least where I live).

Does it rain all that much when you have it on? Do you think it rains too much in your game?

Comments

• Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I find it rains way too much, and I have a mod for a lot less rain. Granted, for some reason, the game ALWAYS seems to make it rain about four out of the first 7 days of starting a new game, and I have no idea why. I assume it's just my game, but you can almost always set your watch by it.
    Still any amounts of rain seem excessive to me, since Aussieland is almost always in a state of drought.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I don't feel it rains too much most of the time, but the thunder is super annoying alot of the time it seems to decide it should strike exactly where the camera is even if you are indoors, it doesnt do anything but if you have headphones on, ouch.
    Autumn seems to glitch up my plants though, like, if I plant some stuff while its cold, they just stay dormant forever.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    "Everyone always talks about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it."
    - Mark Twain (or someone around that time)

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tempest
    :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I've had Sims struck by lightening while gardening outdoors during a thunder storm.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sometimes. Other times it's not as bad.

I swear it's usually worst in fall too. Which bugs me sooooo much. Maybe in some places that's normal and acceptable, but where I come from that doesn't really happen. It snows in fall (and summer, sometimes. #canada).

Now if it was monsoon season in the spring and summer, well, that's normal. Maybe why I don't notice/get bothered by it as much it though. It's just like "well, this is normal. actually, it could rain more even. This is nothing". Also, if I like need/want the weather to be different I simply adjust it with cheats so it's not like it really affects my gameplay if I don't want it to (now if only I could do that IRL XD).
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited August 2016
    I've shortened my spring and winter seasons because it just rains and snows too much. My summers are longer to balance things out. I only need to see the weather and seasons change for the sake of immersion anyway.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    @dreamerz13 A lot of rain is normal here in the midwest lol - honestly it doesn't rain much in autumn in my game, its mostly spring and summer.

I've actually had a couple winters so far with no snow at all, and one with light snow. I have had heavy snow winters too though
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Speaking of the lightning, what annoys me is when lightning strikes the ground in game, and you get the loud buzzing, indicating a charge, followed by the heavy screen shake. That makes me feel a little queasy at times.
    In other games that have screen shake I have to turn that off, but Sims doesn't have the option. Thankfully it doesn't happen too much.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    A lot of people I know who play TS3 complain that it rains "too much" with seasons and a lot of them turn off rain (and hail) often. Honestly, I don't see it happen quite that often. Of the 15 days of spring-summer-autumn it rains maybe 5 of those, 4 of those 5 on average T-storms.
    Although I do have rainier years than others, like one time it did rain about every other day, but then I didn't get any rain til autumn was almost over. One summer it got up to 103 and stormed the next 2 days after, much like real life (at least where I live).

Does it rain all that much when you have it on? Do you think it rains too much in your game?

I've had it rain most days in spring and fall. Not so much in the summer, maybe 50% of the time max. It just gets annoying because there's so much outside stuff to do and not much time to do it during spring and fall. I use Tempest and weight the weather for sunny days. Even then when it rains or hails it does so for 8+ hrs at a time it seems. Occasionally I get drier seasons, but not often enough.
  • Options
    @treynutz it must be truly randomised because I have had a lot of dry days. I haven't been too compelled to use mods, so I'm not particularly familier with this temptest mod. But then again, I play a lot more days so I go throguh a lot of seasons in a given age level.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    "Everyone always talks about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it."

I actually tried changing settings with Tempest and gave up kind of quickly, it looks so complicated. :o
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2016
    In the spring it rains a lot but that's to be expected. I've never been so bothered to turn it off or alter it with a mod. I have changed how high/low temperatures get to increase the chances of sunburn, spontaneous combustion, and freezing to death because that never happens to me.
    SimKeats wrote: »
    igazor wrote: »

I actually tried changing settings with Tempest and gave up kind of quickly, it looks so complicated. :o
    At first glance but really it's just a bit tedious.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    WestGhostWestGhost Posts: 138 Member
    There's really no winter where I live, just dry and rainy seasons. So if I wanted a more "realistic" experience, I'd just have spring and summer. The only thing that gets me is rain showers in the summer. Where I'm from, that's basically unheard of. Still, it just ends up adding a tad more challenge to my game so I'm usually up for it.
  • Options
    Beau_Ideal1Beau_Ideal1 Posts: 44 Member
    I think it rains too much, and if it rains a lot, the tree will grow into bigger and disorderly, so I often have it off in spring and summer.
  • Options
    I just had a warmer-than-normal winter, in the 40s and no snow/rain until snowflake day where it snowed that night at 30 degrees.
    Then in the spring it was in the upper 70s and 80s, and sunny all the way through the 2nd day of summer where is stormed that one day til fall.

I think its all randomised. I just don't think it rains as much as people complain. It might be a problem with how some games process the seasons too I guess. Idk I'm not a big techie
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    i've set rain completely off meantime because it literally rained every second day, for days or just every day
    i activate rain only if i want it rain now & in Roaring Heights it rains never :tongue:
    only fog & snow is permanently on for me, no hail either

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I just had a warmer-than-normal winter, in the 40s and no snow/rain until snowflake day where it snowed that night at 30 degrees.
    Then in the spring it was in the upper 70s and 80s, and sunny all the way through the 2nd day of summer where is stormed that one day til fall.

I think its all randomised. I just don't think it rains as much as people complain. It might be a problem with how some games process the seasons too I guess. Idk I'm not a big techie

Different worlds may have different weather patterns.
  • Options
    @cwaddell That may be.

I get lots of different types of weather each season. It impresses me how randomised it is this time around. In TS2 it seemed predetermined, or at least there wasn't enough variety.
  • Options
    I use the NRaas Tempest mod to choose the weather I want for each individual town/game. I like to keep all seasons so that I get all festivals and holidays but I don't like to see snow and cold temperatures in desert, tropical or semi-tropical towns. I limit the type of weather as well as adjust the temperatures.

Also in general it rains too much for me, or at least too long, so I limit rain a lot during summer and fall with spring getting the most.

I like having the weather fit for the feel of the town.
  • Options
    @cwaddell what town do you play in?

Personally I don't have the weather mod. I feel satisfied with what I get ingame.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I've got
    a game in Sunset Valley - pretty much left the default weather although reduced the rain.
    two games in Twinbrook - no snow, rain in winter (but not as much as in spring) and warmer temperatures. I think of Twinbrook's climate being similar to New Orleans.
    several games in Lucky Palms - no snow, little rain, hot temperatures.
    a game in Eltham's Drift - pretty much default weather although reduced rain.

I turn off hail in the Sims 3 game options on all my games.
  • Options
    @cwaddell Ah just like you said, tropical or dessert

Maybe Bridgeport is different on default. You never know what you're going to get in my game; dry seasons, stormy, warm winter, blizzards... its unpredictable. I do have foggy days when its clear as typical of Bridgeport, but I think I've only had hail a handful of times per 20 season span. Most of it happens after a hot day in summer and it storms.