Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coming back to the sims 3

Comments

• Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Welcome back! Until we get a true successor to ts2's humor and ts3's open world depth, it's far superior to what got ninja-pushed off of Olympus on top of us.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Welcome back! Until we get a true successor to ts2's humor and ts3's open world depth, it's far superior to what got ninja-pushed off of Olympus on top of us.

I'm glad to be back! It's sad to say but I truly do consider "The Sims 3" the final passionate series as the message of the franchise is simply lost in four. I don't know what they were thinking! I often refer "The Sims 4" base game as the "Naked" base game.
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2016
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

I'm glad to be back! It's sad to say but I truly do consider "The Sims 3" the final passionate series as the message of the franchise is simply lost in four. I don't know what they were thinking! I often refer "The Sims 4" base game as the "Naked" base game.

Welcome back. I've said it many times and I'm sticking with it. I think the Sims 3 is the last "full" version of the Sims that we are ever going to see. Imagine if EA had taken S3 and optimized it, updated the graphics, made it 64 bit and added new content and gameplay. WOW. That would have been awesome. And it's not like they didn't have enough time or resources to do it.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    edited September 2016
    So over the past week or so (between playing far to much Over watch and working) i've re-downloaded and reinstalled all my sims 3 expansions (In the past I re-bought the base game through origin as well as sweet treats and into the future, rest on CD). Apart from the downloading the whole process was pretty quick on my new gaming laptop (brand new this year graphics card, 2 SSD's, more ram than necessary to run next gen games etc, spent allot of time 'future proofing' it to make-sure it will last for a while with ought needing to be upgraded)

I made sure to download the latest super patch, made sure I was offline so I wasn't pestered by the sims store ads in game (not to mention stopping it creating all those freaking thumb nails that clog up the files). I downloaded my favourite (and from memory must have) NRASS story progression mod and was all ready to go. Started up the game checked my settings (well i whacked them all up to high, i mean i run all the newest games I get on high with no issues right?) restarted the game and made my first big mistake. I loaded up the Island paradise neighbourhood. I forgot how buggy that neighbourhood is. I spent the next hour or so playing with my setting's trying to make it work. Nope. Frustration hits and I take my little sim and plonk her down in sunset valley after reading about how buggy the island can be. I look up the fixes but can't be bothered to do it right then, I just wanted to play!

So I place her on an empty lot, game on low settings and everything is running okay (apart from super fast forward, sleeping seems to take forever, it stutters D:). Deciding i'm sick of looking at potato sims I change the settings up to medium and re-start the game. Okay its still running fine apart from super fast forward. I can deal with this.

I finally get to play the game for a few hours.

So lets start on how I feel re-playing sims 3 after what... 2/3 years of not playing? (I bought into the future but hardly even used it)

CAS: Whilst create a style is a nice novelty I rarely used it before and completely by-passed it this time round. I stuck with pre-set colours on all clothes (and even in game I only changed the bed cover colours on one bed). I seriously noted the lack of being able to go in and drag parts of the body around. Sliders just don't cut it when you have as much freedom as you do in the sims 4 CAS. I think I will use create a style a bit more as I play on however. For instance my hair is green in real life and I will likely spend ages fiddling around with colours when I create my sims self again. I think for me CASt was always an after thought in the game and not a necessity which is why i'm okay with it not being in sims 4. Though after adventuring back into 3 a colour wheel would be nice. Patterns don't interest me but the ability to choose the exact colours you like would be a huge improvement.
    Traits.. meh? I still think i'm suffering from losing the attraction system from sims 2. It was nice to have more.. active traits? that impacted the way a sim acted. I do agree that sims 4 needs to work on this. I understand emotions are the front runner for how a sim acts in game but it would nice to see the sims act more on their traits as well.

Building: I decided to build my own starter. I used to hate building in sims 1-3 but 4 really changed my mind and I got reminded as to why I hated it. Whilst the terrain elevation tools are awseome building in 3 just feels clunky compared to 4. There's not much else for me to say here I'm just not a fan. I do think things from 3 (like terrain height) need to be implemented into 4 at some point. I think now I like building in 4 it would be awseome to see more options come into build mode.

UI: Okay I love the sims 4 UI. I like the way its set up with stuff in the top right corner and spread along the bottom. It just feels smoother to me. I also liek it being white for some reason?? I feel like the blue darkens up the game a bit? IDK

Graphics/Look/Feel etc: Okay so this is a very torn topic in the community. For me personally I love the stylised look of sims 4. I get much more interesting sims out of 4 than 3. All my sims 3 sims look very very similar. The whole game is so much brighter and more vibrant than any of the previous games. I love the lighting and personally the backdrops for each mini neighbourhood in the game are just beautiful. This is where not having an open world in sims 4 works in its favour. In 3 you just have whats around you. In 4 its an artistically created backdrop in 3 its whatever you put down around you.
    There is an argument in my head for realism though. Sims 3 just feels more realistic, like your looking out of your window at the house across from you and you can see your neighbour in their garden kinda real. Sims 3 still feels more empty however (though its worth noting my more powerful machine does seem to allow more sims per lot). It was an ambitious game to have a whole town living around you all the time. In 4 they can have a ridiculous number of sims wandering around your street because it only has to focus on that one lot. So for me 4 wins out here.

Game-play: Well this is what shocked me. After growing to hate sims 3 in the years of its closing I loved being back in the game. I made my little sim. Got her a job in the business career with the aim to earn enough money to go to uni, got her a room mate to help with bills in the meantime, threw seasonal parties for my work friends, watched a few shows in the park I really enjoyed it. Once she left uni (she failed one of her exams in the first semester but did well overall) I brought her home and got her a puppy. I forgot how much I loved having pets in the game. It really brought back so many memories of when pets got released for 3 and how excited my sister was to have horses in the game. I haven't got to toddlers yet but i'm interested to see how I feel about them after so long not having them. At the moment my main feeling is 'I need more content in sims 4'. playing 3 again has really made me understand how much weather ads to the game. I love the seasonal events as well (which is why I believe the sims 3 out does the sims 2 on the seasons expansions) it adds allot of realism to the game which I was missing. I have to say I was missing the emotions from 4 though. I'm not really feeling seeing the same expressions over and over. I didn't find myself getting as attached to my sims 3 sim as my sims 4 sim. BUT oh geez i forgot to put a burglar alarm in and got robbed on the 2nd night. I really miss that... Even though it can be a pain in the bum.

Also for me the distance a sim sometimes has to go is the issue. I'm torn between breaking my immersion with less than 10 second loading screens (I know most people arn't so lucky to have quick loading screens) and having to suffer through a stutter filled fast forward between locations.

Overall my re-entry to the world of sims 3 was eye opening. I didn't think I'd love the game as much as I do. Its a glitchy horrible mess at times and i'm going to have to go through and download all the world fixes to play some of the worlds. I also installed master controller,overwatch and error trap today (somehow managed to screw that up and spent an hour trying to fix it). I just think it was an ambitious game that was to ahead of its time and the machines capable of running it wern't in existence. I think allot of people would be happy to see them go back and re-master the game. Make it so it uses all the resources from new machines and make it well... playable again? I think sims 4 is much smoother and more polished when it comes to running the game, I suspect however this is due to cutting open world and CASt. I'll probably keep playing sims 3 until the next expansion for 4 comes out. It's nice to have so much to re-explore in game. I'm hoping that as my game file grows I don't experience an increase in lag however, as this is what really caused me to abandon the game in the first place...

EDIT: I forgot to add the most painful part! I installed all the games a while back and then uninstalled them. Not well enough apparently because there where sneaky hidden leftover files corrupting it and I had to go through and manually freaking find them.. Seriously.. nearly gave up at one point..
    Post edited by LunaNova on
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited August 2016
    What a thorough, balanced and constructive read. I really enjoyed that. Thank you :)

Definitely agree with the personality part in TS4. There's so much more potential for Sims personalities, which I think TS2 implemented quite well. Traits, overall, feel quite shallow on their own even in TS3. I would argue that more traits don't necessarily flesh out a Sim further. Personality points, though limited in variety, made much more distinctive Sims.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    What a thorough, balanced and constructive read. I really enjoyed that. Thank you :)

Definitely agree with the personality part in TS4. There's so much more potential for Sims personalities, which I think TS2 implemented quite well. Traits, overall, feel quite shallow on their own even in TS3. I would argue that more traits don't necessarily flesh out a Sim further. Personality points, though limited in variety, made much more distinctive Sims.

Thank you. I love the sims series and each has its wins and downfalls. I did grow to hate sims 3 but honestly I think it was just due to the fact it became un-playable for me closer to the end. This has re-newed my love for it I think. Its really nice to be back in the game.

See thats why I think 2 is one of my favourites. I liked the personality points and attraction system. I remember feeling rather bitter when 3 came out over the loss of those XD. I think I am more inclined towards 4 than 3 still. But they are so different. Its the same idea of having a simulated world but executed in 2 very different ways. Thats why I think its so hard to truly compare them. Sims 3 was 'out of the box' if you go back and look at the previous games. 4 functions more like 2 (having the lots as they are) but is far bigger because you can have multiple worlds interact together (I love this. I can be in oasis springs, visit windenburg for a pint then go to the park in another town) this is what was missing in 3 but it would have made the game unplayable to have those large neighbourhoods functioning together!
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Nice post! I thought you were very fair and explained your thoughts behind each detail really well.

Like you, I feel like the main thing I'm missing from TS3 is the amount of content. Having all those expansions and the amount of choice of gameplay. I think my biggest frustration with TS4 is having these long waits between content drops. When people are enjoying the game but missing old features, waiting a year between expansions is really tough.

I miss my 'stuff' from TS3 but I like the Sims and emotions better in TS4 and the smoothness of the gameplay (last time I played TS3 it was laggy and crashed).
  • Options
    Nice post! I thought you were very fair and explained your thoughts behind each detail really well.

Like you, I feel like the main thing I'm missing from TS3 is the amount of content. Having all those expansions and the amount of choice of gameplay. I think my biggest frustration with TS4 is having these long waits between content drops. When people are enjoying the game but missing old features, waiting a year between expansions is really tough.

I miss my 'stuff' from TS3 but I like the Sims and emotions better in TS4 and the smoothness of the gameplay (last time I played TS3 it was laggy and crashed).

Thank you.

That's why I was hesitant to try it again. Its still stuttery but I haven't had any major crashes or freezes. Theres so much i'd forgotten about the game as well (room mates for a start) and its great to explore it again. It almost feels like playing a new game!

This is why I think more people will warm up to 4. Once more content starts rolling out the game just gets better. We have had some great stuff already (maybe not stuff everyone wanted but some new refreshing stuff). I'm really excited for the next pack, whatever is turns out to be!
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    I do agree that there are many aspects to the Sims games that if they would just find the best of each and add them
    to 4 we would have the most winning game ever.

My daughter has started playing 4 and since we both can't use the same account at the same time on my two computers,
    I let her play 4 when she is home.

So, I went to 2 instead. It refreshed my memory that I really disliked CAS, clothing and build, it was so tedious.
    You had to have 2 squares between everything or else the sim got stuck, but everything was so much smaller, with less
    to pick from, and I never liked the clothes, I always thought they were ugly, and the sims always looked alike in an
    unattractive way.

But 2, had the most winning emotion system. I was so addicted to it that when 3 came out I bought it and never played it.
    I gave it away. A year and a half later I bought it again and decided to give it a go.

My story: After trying different game sims I finally built my own. I started with River Waters. He was a charming guy
    but could not seem to bond with townie. So, I created my second sim, not with the idea of a mate for him, just because
    I found rotation play was fun and I wanted another sim to mess around with. At this time I had not figured out the
    attraction system yet, and I did not remember his specs, like what attracted him to or not to another. I was a noobie still.
    The second sim I created was Ronnie Stille. While playing her I found I would rather play guys then girls, so I went back
    River. One day they ran into each other and their attraction was so strong that I had to make them a couple.

The wedding was so romantic, after they exchanged rings they cut the cake laughed as they shoved frosting into each others face,
    and everybody toasted to them over and over, had many bladder fails (only one bathroom also). Then they danced holding each
    other close with their heads on each others shoulder. Then they kissed, as they finished up a limo drove up and they got in.
    The limo drove up. The guests finished the toasting and some of the clean up, the party was over. The guests left the rating
    was what ever the highest score was. I have never had a wedding like that before or since in any of the Sims games. When
    limo returned they got out he kissed her and they danced in the street (not by my command mind you, they did it).

As the story goes they had 3 kids and the kids grew up and went off to college, moved back to their own homes and started
    their own lives. One day I was playing one of the kids and I saw River out and about with someone else. Ohhh, I had
    to go and play this out. Yes, he had another love. Well, she showed up at his door and when she went in she kissed him
    right in front of Ronnie. Sad to say, Ronnie wasn't going to except this and slapped him. The next few days it was
    everything I could do to keep her from being mean to him and their relationship was failing because of it, finally they
    had a fight and she broke up with him, and he left. One day there was a knock at her door, after the sadness wore off,
    and there was River. I had her ask what he wanted. His answer just floored me. He said "I want to know that Ronnie is ok"
    and left. I tried to get her to go after him, but she wouldn't. This was back in 2007 and I never had that emotion and
    situation again in any of the games. I have been trying to recreate it ever since, in 2, 3 qand 4. TS4 has come the closest
    once, and that is the game I am playing now. I have not given up hope for TS4 it seems to be getting better as new comes out.
    I never played with mods or cc until Island Paradise came out and broke my game so I tried mods and that made it worse.
    I got rid of IP and got what ever came after but the game never worked very well after so I don't play it. I have tried MCcc
    for TS4 and my game got so screwy that again I pulled the mods and now I play mod free. The game did change, strangely after
    I pulled them and it's funny how the emotions are acting. This is a new sim, new game and I find that with each new sim
    there's something so very different about them, even is TS2,3 and now 4.
    My point, Sims 2 wasn't the same after all the pkg were added and isn't the same now in the freeby. TS4 isn't the same as when it came out and after each pkg and new additions it evolves. We just have to see.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Welcome back to The Sims 3, the greatest Sims game ever made! :smiley:

I like your review which is honest and to the point. There are things in TS3that really make it stand out from other games such as like you mentioned, being able to see neighbours in the garden :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I play all three and have noticed with the sims 3 that my graphics card tends to run way hotter than with 2 and 4.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Thank you for this! I wonder what I'd experience doing the same (after my next round of computer upgrades, though - I lost patience with watching objects render when I went into houses and with the lag and stuttering I had). On the other hand, I've got so much to still do in this game that I haven't yet, plus a couple of others I'd like to play but haven't, that maybe I'll just enjoy seeing other people's experiences who are similarly enjoying Sims 4 - we don't hear about these a lot!.

I know I've certainly had days I miss rain in particular, and I'd love to see a flash of lightning light up a room; this would probably be my biggest temptation back. I've certainly also had times I miss being able to pick a color from the palette (the wheel always drove me a bit crazy if I was trying to match colours - too easy to get it just a bit off!) But I also know I was instantly attracted to these Sims in a way I hadn't been to 3's. And I know I've never, ever missed Sims 2's time going backward, so not sure I have the patience for that again either!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well me in my case i do not miss anything from the sims3 or 2 i am quite happy with the sims4 and i am not the type to go back to older sims games when i move on to the next
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    well me in my case i do not miss anything from the sims3 or 2 i am quite happy with the sims4 and i am not the type to go back to older sims games when i move on to the next
    Not even washers and dryers?

• Options

I didn't at first either but recently I went back and played the old games and I just love all three versions. When I get enough of one I can move on to another. :)
  • Options
    EpochismEpochism Posts: 411 Member
    I really think that the cas is my favourite part in sims 4. Sims 4 cas is just so awesome and easy to create cute sims in, now that I look at sims 3 cas, I'm just a bit disgusted XD
    Maybe it's just me, hehe xD
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Snapdragon wrote: »

well for that i would go back into sims3 but would not be in the game long as i keep sims4 loaded as well
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    @StilleWater I agree with what your saying, the game is going to evolve and change over the next few years. That's an interesting story as well!

@king_of_simcity7 I've been playing it most of today and i'm really enjoying it! so far have experienced 3 game stopping crashes though for who knows what reason XD master controller is helping a bit though!

@shellbeme yeah i've been monitoring my temperature and i'm surprised how high it's gotten!

@friendlysimmers I know what you mean, the urge struck me after my sister told me to sort her laptop out for her (shes coming back from living away for in another country for a few months and her laptop was really slow) and I saw all the sims 3 games on her desktop XD 4 is still my favourite but its been fun to have a nostalgia trip!

@Snapdragon I seriously hope they bring them back to 4. I like having my sim put the washing on the line!

@Epochism I completely agree with you. CAS changed my life (not in a dramatic way, just opened my eyes creatively) You have no idea how excited I got when i first realised i could change the shoulder width and feet size of my sim self.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Snapdragon wrote: »

Ahahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I play all three and have noticed with the sims 3 that my graphics card tends to run way hotter than with 2 and 4.

@shellbeme Be sure to turn on vsync within your graphics card settings before playing TS3. TS3 does not have the in-game option for this, and often, it overworks itself unless the setting is turned on.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

@shellbeme Be sure to turn on vsync within your graphics card settings before playing TS3. TS3 does not have the in-game option for this, and often, it overworks itself unless the setting is turned on.

Thank you for mentioning this, I just double checked and I do have it on :)
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Thank you for mentioning this, I just double checked and I do have it on :)

Yeah vsync is on for me as well XD just one of those games i guess.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @LunaNova Have you downloaded the 'Crash Log Analyser' which might help?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    EpochismEpochism Posts: 411 Member
    @LunaNova there is just sooo much you can do with it. All the sims in sims 3 had a distinct appearance....a 'pudding face' some say. The sims in sims 4 are all unique because of all the options.