Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

was the game false advertizing

Comments

• Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

You could say the same thing about any of the previous sims games as well. Where was the complaint about this? I want a refund for all the previous sims games I ever bought. We never had any gameplay like the video.

lol true... but now it makes me want to go out and rebuy ts2 lol

true but sims 2 hit the mark a whole lot better than sims 4 did
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    when this game first came out they promised smarter sims
    They kinda are. They made the little plums harder to kill. If they're on fire, they can put themselves out, without the need for a fireman to come and do it. They can climb out of the swimming pool without a ladder. Most of the time, they'll take themselves to the loo, and not make a puddle on the floor. You can leave the game running all day, on it's own, and they will probably survive.

i don't know if this sims 4 will ever truly be fixed for us complex players, but it is feeling bleek right now for me.. the sims are just missing something, and as i play for 30 minutes its hard to ignore and i just stop playing it is sad because i want to love this game so much.
    I don't think what we're missing is really fixable, without some super awesome expansions (wich we probably won't get). I struggle to play for extended periods of time. Which is the biggest sign that something is wrong with the game. With 1, 2 and 3, I lost a lot of sleep in the first few months of owning just the base game. TS4 has no hook, it's shiny on the surface, but that's it.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    False advertising you say?

The only false advertising I ever saw was that 'you rule' video that didn't even show any Sims! :open_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    I expect to see all of the effects and functions restored since those were paid for. There was no reason for any of the effects to be overridden in any update:

Before Get Together:

Apollo_Rocket_Vapor2.png

Apollo_Rocket_Vapor.png

After Get Together...

Apollo_Rocket_No_Vapor.png

This would be a good reason for an international mass-refund.

Wait... What?

Holy plum I didn't even notice this.... Why would change that though? What were they trying to do??

Probably someone said it was offensive to include smoke because people have died due to smoke.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    When they said smarter they meant "sims can multitask in more detailed ways with more variety" not that they actually improved AI or responsiveness in certain events or even routing.

If anything, it's just smart marketing XD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    I expect to see all of the effects and functions restored since those were paid for. There was no reason for any of the effects to be overridden in any update:

Before Get Together:

Apollo_Rocket_Vapor2.png

Apollo_Rocket_Vapor.png

After Get Together...

Wait... What?

What the....is this real? o.O
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2016

You could say the same thing about any of the previous sims games as well. Where was the complaint about this? I want a refund for all the previous sims games I ever bought. We never had any gameplay like the video.

That is a CGI trailer.

It's quite different than stating multiple times "smarter sims" on every trailer, ad or even blog posts of sorts.

TS4 also had it's own CGI trailer, the very first one, but we all know it's not how any game plays out, only kids fall for those.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »

Before Get Together:

Apollo_Rocket_Vapor2.png

Apollo_Rocket_Vapor.png

After Get Together...

Wait... What?

Holy plum I didn't even notice this.... Why would change that though? What were they trying to do??

Probably someone said it was offensive to include smoke because people have died due to smoke.

I laughed way to hard at this...
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    when this game first came out they promised smarter sims
    They kinda are. They made the little plums harder to kill. If they're on fire, they can put themselves out, without the need for a fireman to come and do it. They can climb out of the swimming pool without a ladder. Most of the time, they'll take themselves to the loo, and not make a puddle on the floor. You can leave the game running all day, on it's own, and they will probably survive.

i don't know if this sims 4 will ever truly be fixed for us complex players, but it is feeling bleek right now for me.. the sims are just missing something, and as i play for 30 minutes its hard to ignore and i just stop playing it is sad because i want to love this game so much.
    I don't think what we're missing is really fixable, without some super awesome expansions (wich we probably won't get). I struggle to play for extended periods of time. Which is the biggest sign that something is wrong with the game. With 1, 2 and 3, I lost a lot of sleep in the first few months of owning just the base game. TS4 has no hook, it's shiny on the surface, but that's it.

Except that I hate how hard they are to kill now , who needs to be eaten twice or shocked twice to died. I got the wishing well in hopes of death everywhere in the park and my sim got $5000 <.< Sims can do it from Sims 3 and I think Sims have always went to pee, well at least from Sims 2. Sims 4 are better in one way, they are the only sims that will starve themselves to death to play with a piece of clay :D
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

That is a CGI trailer.

It's quite different than stating multiple times "smarter sims" on every trailer, ad or even blog posts of sorts.

TS4 also had it's own CGI trailer, the very first one, but we all know it's not how any game plays out, only kids fall for those.

And what about that basketball dude in the early TS4 trailer/renders? He's been featured so many times, especially in that CGI trailer. A developer even said there would be basketball in the base game! It's been years and still no sign of sports.

tumblr_naguhfusTV1sh6xelo2_r1_500h.jpg

Small tidbit: We actually didn't get that group functionality until TS4: Get Together. OP definitely has some credibility.

That basketball I thought for sure that they would have a basket ball court to play basketball. Other wise why add the basket ball..
  • Options
    They also had a couple walking down the street when the guy looked at another girl the girl friend got really mad and jealous.. the game is.nothing like that.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

lol true... but now it makes me want to go out and rebuy ts2 lol
    Haha knowing you can't do that stuff to.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yes I believe the marketing and developing team are on two complete different mindsets for how the Sims 4 was supposed to be like. I had a lot of expectations for the Sims 4 that I personally felt were falsely advertised. One of the funniest videos that come to mind was the thunder thighs video. I was so disappointed my Sims couldn't have thighs like that. :'( The Sims 4 "You Rule" tagline was one of the biggest jokes ever to hit the series. What a joke that was with all the game restrictions the game was designed with. It still doesn't sit right with me that culling and relationship culling and relationship decay were put into the game without letting the community know about them. It was like here are these restrictions, now deal with them because we rule over your game, not you. Then there was the "smarter Sims" and more "emotional" behavior. It was like one bad joke after another happening with Sims that didn't even care if another Sim died and Sims feeling like they are so shallow, they've lost a few brain cells.

It's hard because I did go to school for business, so I do understand what misleading advertising is and when it comes to the Sims 4, yes it was very misleading especially when it was first released and that reviewers were not allowed to play the game at first. It showed that they were trying to hide something. It was just setting up the game for a backlash how poorly things were handled in the first year.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    POSTED BY EA NEWS ON JUN 10, 2014
    "On September 5th our fans will be able to experience why we believe The Sims 4 is the best life simulation game ever," said Rachel Franklin, VP and Executive Producer for The Sims 4. "These are brand new Sims whose traits, emotions and aspirations combine to define more meaningful personalities than you’ve ever played with before. You decide not only what they look like, but more importantly, who they are. The combination of these new Sims, our powerful new creative tools, and the all-new Gallery add up to the best game we’ve ever made."

The Sims 4 takes this best-selling franchise to an entirely new generation. Our new Sims have been reinvented into smarter, emotionally rich characters who come to life through a combination of their free will and player direction. Players control the mind, body, and now the heart of these new Sims and bring their stories to life with richness and texture that has never before been possible in the franchise.

I think I bought the wrong game. I want this one ^

LOL, I want that one too. Not what TS4 actually is.

Oh, and remember SimGuruRyan saying, and I quote: "...when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we’re building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come." [emphasis mine]

Now, I'll admit "years to come" is totally open-ended (ten years? a hundred??) but come ON. Every desire? An incredibly strong foundation? If the foundation is so strong, why is it that every time they include something new now, something else has to be culled out?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2016
    I think EA/Maxis stretched the truth maybe it was to get some people to buy the game or they spoke too soon. I believe it was to get people to buy the game say the right words and some people will fall for it just like it was done in SimCity, saw the trailers and demos for SimCity and was like Wow only to find out some of the options that was hyped was bugged to death and could not get the cities to function together correctly.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    POSTED BY EA NEWS ON JUN 10, 2014

"On September 5th our fans will be able to experience why we believe The Sims 4 is the best life simulation game ever," said Rachel Franklin, VP and Executive Producer for The Sims 4. "These are brand new Sims whose traits, emotions and aspirations combine to define more meaningful personalities than you’ve ever played with before. You decide not only what they look like, but more importantly, who they are. The combination of these new Sims, our powerful new creative tools, and the all-new Gallery add up to the best game we’ve ever made."

The Sims 4 takes this best-selling franchise to an entirely new generation. Our new Sims have been reinvented into smarter, emotionally rich characters who come to life through a combination of their free will and player direction. Players control the mind, body, and now the heart of these new Sims and bring their stories to life with richness and texture that has never before been possible in the franchise.

I think I bought the wrong game. I want this one ^

One thing is clear -- they knew exactly what people wanted and knew exactly how to grab those people in.

Now, and this is just my opinion, that statement is such garbage when you look at the game. We have a limit of 3 traits per Sim, which are in no way better than TS3 ones, and all Sims have virtually the same exact emotion system, which in itself does not accomplish what it sets out to do.

That's the "richer" personality system. There is nothing more to it.
    You can have more then 3 traits there are traits in the reward thing you can purchase once I think my sim had 6 traits.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    There is no false advertising only a very good snake oil sales person that found a room of suckers.
    When EA post of video of something coming soon it's all smoke and mirrors.Anybody with even 1 brain cell knows patches do more damage then good.
    Ever who is calling the design shots on the Sims doesn't know jack about the Sims and this community.When a game needs this many mods to work then somebody at EA should get fired.
    Buyer beware more is coming so think twice before opening your wallet.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    The problem is, the people who worked and developed Sims 4 fall in two groups, or possible three. Group One, the old heads, those who have been around either since Sims 1 or Sims 2, but have lost sight of what the game truly is. Group 2, Those wet behind the ear programmers who heard of the Sims, but actually never played any of the games before starting work on this one. And Group 3, programmers who never heard of the Sims and never played a single version. I think they all need to sit down and play the whole series (1, 2, and 3) for at least six months before they even think of starting on Sims 5. But at this rate, I would be hard pressed to even buy it if there was a Sims 5. I have been so burned by S4, that it would take some serious damage control for me to trust them ever again.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited July 2016
    alexandrea wrote: »
    Is this even a real question? Yes it was false advertisement.

I'm just going to copy my post from my other thread.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893060/ea-lied-to-us-end-of-the-story-toddlers#latest

I'm creating this thread for all of those who try and say "Ea never promised us toddlers." I'm not sure if any of you guys remember but, they clearly did state that all previous life stages would be incorporated in this game. Later on before the release, one of the gurus went on Twitter and released the list of life stages with the omission of toddlers. So Ea did in fact lie to us. There's no denying that.
    SimGuruGrant even said so in an interview:
    Simified: What are the Life Stages in The Sims 4? Are there any new ones?
    SimGuruGrant: The Sims 4 will have all of the same life stages as previous games, Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, and Elder. There are no new life stages coming at this time.
    Source: http://thesims4blogger.com/post/62013845250/the-sims-4-simifieds-qa-with-simgurugrant

So please... the next time someone says they didn't "promise" us toddlers, correct them.

Ea is trying to cover this up by saying "oh we wanted to focus on other things." Keep your word. Be loyal to your customers and maybe you wouldn't have so much backlash. Don't say you're going to do something, and then go do something else. That's not showing any kind of respect for your customers. It's ridiculous. This thread might get closed but I really don't care.

If you can't guarantee something, don't mention it. That just shows a lack of integrity.

You've referred to a personal blog which contains a transcript of statements which were made during an unofficial conversation which occurred prior to development of the base feature set. Your accusations are entirely false and illegal.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch