Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paint from reference is weird

PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
Do you like what "paint from reference" paintings look like in the game?
I totally hate it! They look so grainy and low quality! I wish they were more like oil paintings or like paintings in Sims 2.
Something like this would do.
2012-09-29-dargie-thumb.jpg

I wanna be able to paint portraits without them looking like a low quality 0.5MP photograph

Why couldn't they look like these portraits?
12-21-14_10-12nbspAM_zpsc2d479fe.png
(I found this photo on the internet. I don't know who the owner is.)

Also, I just thought of something... We don't really have an option to paint a portrait of someone. We only have an option to paint from reference. And it's really hard to position a sim, that you wanna paint, right.
Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

Post edited by PrincessVee on

Comments

• Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    I love paint by reference. And I don't mind their graininess.
    dv0Tn1C.png
    Two of my sims painting each other.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I'm not a fan of them and do wish they were better.
  • Options
    alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    I know! they look like Photoshop filters instead of real paintings, I wish these were like the ones in S2.
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    I rarely have my Sims painting.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited July 2016
    I wouldn't mind a little more sharpness-lol. They often look rather "impressionistic" to me, where if you stand far back they look more real and clearer then if you stand close.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Yep, this was something I noticed too. Looks like a picture with really bad quality rather than a painting. It's specially bad when there isn't much light.

9t3cqt.png

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    It's actually similar to the Impressionistic style in ways -- you can see it in actual paintings in real life; only posting links because all the images are so huge:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Camille_Pissarro_019.jpg

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/media/5/exhibitions_2008/impressionism_poplars_1.jpg

http://www.daytonartinstitute.org/sites/default/files/american_impressionism_web1200.jpg

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    I wish they could at least give as a different filter.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I also wish that they looked better.
    Like, Sims can already paint in impressionist styles. If you want them to paint that way, choose that style of painting. Or give people the option to have it be a normal painting. I know that Sims can take pictures of themselves and that's a way to get those images into the game, but if I'm doing a Legacy, it'd be nice to have a giant wall of Sim paintings. I know I used to do that in TS2/TS3. It's cool to see the progression of the Legacy through paintings. But I'd like to be able to actually.....see the people of the legacy, not have to squint at some grainy mess.
  • Options
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    I also wish that they looked better.
    Like, Sims can already paint in impressionist styles. If you want them to paint that way, choose that style of painting. Or give people the option to have it be a normal painting. I know that Sims can take pictures of themselves and that's a way to get those images into the game, but if I'm doing a Legacy, it'd be nice to have a giant wall of Sim paintings. I know I used to do that in TS2/TS3. It's cool to see the progression of the Legacy through paintings. But I'd like to be able to actually.....see the people of the legacy, not have to squint at some grainy mess.

This!

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    They look like pixel art and not reference paintings.
    Half of the people won't know what pixel art is so it won't bother them and think TS4 is awesome.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    c95.jpg
    They look like pixel art and not reference paintings.
    Half of the people won't know what pixel art is so it won't bother them and think TS4 is awesome.

Pretty close lol

• Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I'm not happy with how they look, so I never used this feature which saddens me because I loved home made paintings, i'm sure they'll stay like this though.. it would be nice to have an option, so you can choose the quality.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    It looks cool in some cases, but often it doesn't work and it would be appreciated if we could choose between the grainy, oil and normal. I would also love if we could paint from reference with photos again - take a photo and then paint it. It was useful for pretty spots where you can't place an easle.
  • Options
    JimedJimed Posts: 692 Member
    I like the paint by reference option, but I agree I wish it wasn't so grainy.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I completely agree, it's such a bummer that it's so grainy, hopefully they can change it and make it look more painterly.
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I'm not a big fan of it either. I wish we could have different filters to choose from, because sometimes it does look okay for some paintings. But for portraits it's just... :/
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    KaraStarsKaraStars Posts: 242 Member
    I miss painting in sims 2. I used to love adding pictures into the game for my sims to paint.
    My CC
    KaraStars on the Gallery
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    The paint by reference is passable for scenery, but really bad for sims. It turns their faces into an indecipherable mass of pixels most of the time. I wish we would get a "Paint portrait of..." option that got rid of the filter. I loved doing portraits in TS2 and TS3.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    RisakishoRisakisho Posts: 52 Member
    Same, I love painting in real life and loves making my sims paint. When they paint by reference it really doesn't look like a painting at all...which is disturbing to me as an artist haha. Like alejandro15039 said it looks like Photoshop filters rather than the Impressionistic style...which is sad because I love the Impressionistic style...but it's not a really job well done. I just wished they could have given more option what style to use when painting a reference. Water color? Oil Pastel? Acrylics? Oil painting? I just wish we had more variety when it came to painting.
    b8EQfn6.gif
  • Options
    TygerNightTygerNight Posts: 72 Member
    edited September 2019
    I utterly despise how reference paintings turn out. It's not like my Sim sees that grainy, blurry, overexposed garbage. I love to document my twins as they grow up (and nearly all my Sims' pregnancies produce twins), but PBR is GARBAGE. I wouldn't hate it so much IF it was tied to the artist's skill but it's not. Caleb regularly turns out 'masterpieces' that look like vomit and I hate it. PLEASE, PLEASE GET RID OF THIS, EA! I'm on a PS4, not very tech savvy and I want the trophies so no, I DON'T want to have to use a cruddy cheat to get quality paintings. 😠😠😠
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    I've been thinking about this forever too! I HATE the grainy texture. I wish it could be replaced with brush strokes or something of the like. I never use paint from reference because of the grainyness... If it's supposed to mirror real life portraits it does a terrible job
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    You might try a still life painting of a large photograph portrait. I saw a Simmer here a few months back with a bunch of those and they looked really nice, if still a bit impressionistic.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    I hate that they are so grainy. I thought it was something that would hopefully improve with skill level, but even my maxed-out Artist sims still paint them that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top