Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ingvia wrote: »
    @columbia93 I can give you instructions to what I did :)

1. Enter Nvidia Control Panel and click on Manage 3D settings

2. Click on the tab Program settings

3. In the drop down window find the ts3.exe file if you have the 1.69 version of Sims 3 and the ts3w.exe file if you have the 1.67 version. If it’s not in the dropdown window, click Add and locate the file in the folder where you have your game installed. Mine was in: Program Files(x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/Game/Bin

4. In the scroll down window below, turn Vertical sync and Triple Buffering to ON. If you have a newer graphic card you’ll also find a feature there called Max Frame rate, make that number the same as your monitor’s refresh rate. You can find your refresh rate in Advanced display settings.

5. Press Apply and you’re done!

No need to be sorry. Responses are sometimes pretty hard to come by! The issue was similar. I found Chloe's post through a Google search for this issue and Acer since it seems like Acer has some issues with the Sims or something. In the meantime, I downloaded the Profile Inspector per another post - I thought GFE did all the work. Anyway, I did make those changes there, including limiting the FPS to 144 but boy did it not make a difference. I think it might actually be worse. The setting the Profile Inspector loaded for TS3 didn't have those items turned on nor had an fps limit.

So I've made those changes to the Control Panel - took me a while to figure out to right click on the desktop when I couldn't find it anywhere else, LOL. I'll see if that makes a difference. I've got several other weird issues with the launcher and Origin which even the EA Help Chat guy called weird and then got rid of me by telling me to run a clean boot....urg....so I'm not sure if there are issues with communicating between the game and Origin, but that problem is about 3 months old. The lag issue while in Build & CAS has been a problem from the moment I downloaded the game on this new PC in Sept.

Reading your post, you're talking about fps of 500+ and I am topping out at 200. Since those changes didn't make a difference, maybe the fps isn't the issue.

**If anyone is reading this who has an Acer, I remember many months ago finding a post from someone with the same PC and finding their Disc goes to 100%. Mine does too. It wasn't resolved and I can't find it again. Maybe it isn't the fps but this other issue.

• Options
    bela_bela_ Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I don't know if I'm doing this right but basically when I load my game without my resource.cfg file, the game loads but only some of my custom content appears. When I load it with resource.cfg, it just closes my game. Also, when I have the resource.cfg file in my mods folder, I can't download any custom content to the game (sims 3 launcher). Can anyone help please?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @bela_ There are two kinds of CC files in TS3 and they are each handled differently. Sims3pack content is installed by way of the Launcher. Package based content is installed by putting the package file into Mods\Packages with the resource.cfg file in the correct place. If the resource.cfg is not present, then your package based content (this includes mods) will not be read at startup and will therefore not load.

If your game refuses to startup with resource.cfg in place, this usually means you have a file in Mods\Packages that is causing the issue. Without resource.cfg anything placed into Mods\Packages will be ignored.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    edited May 2020
    posted in help board :)
    Post edited by Kylieb191 on
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    IngviaIngvia Posts: 7 New Member
    Hello again! I haven’t started a save file yet, still just testing, but the loading times have suddenly increased immensely. I’ve changed to the highest graphic settings, does that increase loading time? I’m afraid of how slow it will get when I start adding some custom content. Within the game everything’s loading fast except for CAS. Last time I tested it opened instantly. Do you have any idea what may slow down the loading?

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7590) with these specs:
    Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
    Storage: 1 TB M.2 PCle NVME SSD
    Memory: 16 GB DDR4 266MHz

I have installed World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, Seasons and Island Paradise through Origin. I have no CC or save files yet.
  • Options
    brigidsfyrebrigidsfyre Posts: 10 New Member
    My sims are at University and they have level 5 and 6 cooking skill, and everything they cook is "horrifying quality". That never happened on their home lot. Any suggestions?

I can't figure out how to start a new thread. If this needs to be placed somewhere else please let me know. :)
  • Options
    skybakerskybaker Posts: 214 Member
    My sims are at University and they have level 5 and 6 cooking skill, and everything they cook is "horrifying quality". That never happened on their home lot. Any suggestions?

I can't figure out how to start a new thread. If this needs to be placed somewhere else please let me know. :)
    I think you can’t start a new thread because of your rank (new member).
    For the issue of cooking, have you tried to buy a new oven?
    AqWKHoo.jpg
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    edited May 2020

@brigidsfyre, you just need to make 6 more comments to become a full member and then you will be able to start new threads... :) But for the time being, if you have any issues with The Sims 3 gameplay, then you can post your issues over in this thread until you become a full member... :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
  • Options
    brigidsfyrebrigidsfyre Posts: 10 New Member
    I looked around and I couldn't find anything on this..

My sims recently purchased a speedboat. It's set as her preferred boat. I click on the boat and then click go boating with.. select the family members.. and then they all get in a taxi boat and go to where I selected them to boat to... Very frustrating as I'm trying to get family vacation pictures! Any thoughts??
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Flap I don't know of any way to disable the room resize tool. It's strange that this one function would cause so much lag. But maybe it has something to do with the items against the walls, or a custom pattern you're using as wallpaper? You could test by building a couple rooms in a new save, using a default wallpaper and not placing any other items.

If the problem is gone, there's something about your existing build that causes the issue. If it's still there, then I'm not really sure what's going on, but there are probably other experiments to try as well.
  • Options
    @Ingvia Your hardware should be able to run Sims 3 on ultra graphics settings. Have you confirmed that your fps is still locked at 59 Hz? Please also try loading the game with a clean user data folder in place. Even though you mentioned not having any custom content yet, there are other files that could be corrupt, and this is the fastest way to find out. Move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts, and the game will create a new folder the next time you launch it. Don't add anything to this folder yet; just start a new save, open CAS and Build/Buy, and keep an eye on loading times.

It's also a good idea to disable the in-game shopping experience, which will load Sims 3 store stuff for you to browse while in CAS or Build/Buy. Even with the option disabled, you'll still get hundreds of files accumulating in FeaturedItems inside your user data folder, so clear those out too. (Creating a new folder will get rid of the old files, but new ones will show up.)

If you're still seeing slow loading, please make sure that OneDrive isn't set to automatically sync the contents of Documents with cloud storage. It's been enabling itself with Windows updates recently, for whatever reason, and if it's trying to sync your user data folder as you're loading or playing, that could explain the slow loading times.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98b8b011-8b94-419b-aa95-a14ff2415e85

If none of this helps, please run a dxdiag: Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, let the scan finish, click "Save all information," and save the dxdiag to your desktop. Then upload it to a third-party fileshosting site (the free version of pastebin.com is fine), and link it here. You might have to break up the link with spaces or something.
  • Options
    JBeilJBeil Posts: 10 New Member
    When I'm in-window the game does not register any clicks or highlight buttons I'm hovering over. When I alt-tab, the clicks get processed, but when I tab back in the issue persists. I've tried both my mouse and the mousepad, and nowhere else online seems to have the same issue. This is a completely fresh install with no mods or changes to the settings.
  • Options
    CaprisaladCaprisalad Posts: 1 New Member
    Don't know if there's a way to fix this but I accepted the "free vacation" that came with generations. Getting back into the game after years I thought there wasn't any glitches, but instead when the adults were supposed to come back one vanished and the other 3 were still greyed out. I exited out after a save as that usually fixed any of my issues, coming back 3 were still greyed out and one was completely out of the household! Please someone let me know if I can get them back
  • Options
    @JBeil Please disable any overlays you have running: Steam, Discord, etc. Disable Windows notifications while you play. And if you play through Origin, disable Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then Origin in-game, and turn off the setting right at the top.

If this doesn't help and you play through Origin, put Origin in offline mode before you launch Sims 3.
  • Options
    SsaannddSsaanndd Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello !
    I bought new worlds (s on Origin and in the store, and downloaded them, but then when I open the sims and want to start a new game, I cannot pick any of the world that I bought in "select a city"

I'm probably missing something in the process, if someone could help me with that that would be awesome !

PS : I have many discs and options available, so many that's why,, does new world depends on the extra discs you select ? ?
  • Options
    @Caprisalad - Your best bet is to revert gameplay to a prior save made before accepting the free vacation offer and never accept it again, which of course only makes sense if you (hopefully) have such a save available. That scenario is hopelessly broken and should always be avoided.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @Ssaanndd - You mentioned that you downloaded the store worlds. But have you then used the Launcher to install them or are they still hanging out in Downloads waiting for that to happen?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @JBeil Please disable any overlays you have running: Steam, Discord, etc. Disable Windows notifications while you play. And if you play through Origin, disable Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then Origin in-game, and turn off the setting right at the top.
    >
    > If this doesn't help and you play through Origin, put Origin in offline mode before you launch Sims 3.

I've just tried this, including launching Steam in offline mode, turning off all overlays, and the problem persists. I tried to get past the menu and in the lot selection screen it seems to work normally, but in create-a-sim the problem is back.

I'm going to try turning all performance settings to minimum and see if that helps, otherwise I'm at my wits' end.
  • Options
    Yep, issue still persists with reduced graphics. I'll try posting my specifications beneath in case that helps, but I've got no idea what else to try.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-80FTFDB
    System Manufacturer Acer
    System Model Nitro AN515-52
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU 0000000000000000
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.22, 31/10/2018
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 1.22
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer CFL
    BaseBoard Product Freed_CFS
    BaseBoard Version V1.22
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
    Username DESKTOP-80FTFDB\james
    Time Zone GMT Summer Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.85 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.46 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 20.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 9.97 GB
    Page File Space 12.8 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @JBeil If you have a Steam install, you can launch Sims 3 without Steam involvement. Just double-click on TS3W.exe, the executable that runs the game; or Sims3LauncherW.exe, if you want to open the launcher first. The default file path is:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Restart your computer first, then don't open anything else at all aside from Sims 3. Please try in both fullscreen and windowed modes. You can switch at the Main Menu.

If that doesn't work, try disabling the Windows Game Bar. Hit Windows key-i, select Gaming, then Game Bar, and you can just turn it off. It may help to disable Game Mode too; select Gaming > Game Bar.

If this doesn't help either, try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

This wouldn't be a long-term solution, but if you can click normally again, you'll know that a background service is the issue, and you can start reenabling them in the same msconfig menu to test.

By the way, your graphics settings shouldn't have anything to do with this.
  • Options
    I seem to have solved the issue - a Java update was waiting to be installed so I closed that in the background, and also closed the Nvidia Catalyst Control centre programme running in the background. I'm going to have a play about and see if that was causing it every time but I think that is probably it. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    IngviaIngvia Posts: 7 New Member
    @puzzlezaddict I don’t understand how I upload the dxdiag to pastebin.com. Shall I copy the text and paste it under «New Paste»? Do I need to make an account first? How do I share it afterwards?
  • Options
    Spoke too soon!

The issue HAD been beaten but returned after CAS - the fact that nobody else anywhere seems to have had this same issue makes me think it's something unique to my PC that won't be fixable. I'll attempt the clean boot analysis and see if I can work out what caused the issue but I'm not optimistic.
  • Options
    I've just done a clean boot with all non-Windows services and all startup programmes deactivated. The only item open is the Sims 3, the Steam client, and the windows background services that cannot be turned off. I've even tried compatability settings - at this point, given that nobody else online seems to have reported the same issue, I'm not sure there is a solution. Guess I can't play :c
  • Options
    @JBeil - Have you tried what was suggested with regard to running the game without the Steam client involved at all? And disabling Win 10's Game Bar and Game Mode (many older games just do not get along with these features)?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top