Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited December 2018
    Tagging everyone who is a member...
    @candycottonchu, @friendsfan367, @LegacySims2017, @Piazzagirl1015, @Maladi777, @Shadami

As we near the end of the year and the start of a new rotational cycle, I want to stress the importance of participating and reading. I'm not pointing any fingers or blaming anyone, but I do want to encourage everyone to stay active and make an effort to read.

As the moderator of this reading circle, I feel it's my duty to remind you all of the rules.
    1. follow EA forums rules i.e. be a decent human :)
    2. have a current blog/story/platform
    3. make an effort to read other participant's stories and give feedback here at least once a month (no pressure to do it every time or participate in every question/discussion, etc)
    4. to be considered an active participant, you should read at least 1 chapter of each story during its rotation
    5. inactive members for more than 2 months (without notifying me in post or PM about what's going on) will be removed, but are welcome to rejoin

I am adding a new rule...
    6. if you are unable to participate and you don't make an effort to read others' stories, please request a hiatus or leave out of consideration for others and in spirit of fairness

I know things happen, and that's life. There's no pressure to participate every time, however, I do want to make it clear it is unfair and disrespectful to your fellow group members to only participate during your "scheduled" weeks. If you don't feel you can keep up with all the stories in our circle, ask to be put on hiatus (either here or in PM) or leave the group. No one will be forced out, however, if you remain inactive for over a month (as in, you aren't actively commenting in this thread, you haven't read any stories, and you haven't made an effort to communicate with the group or at least, myself, even via PM), you will be put on hiatus (and after 2 months, you'll be removed).

One more thing... if more than half the group knows they're going to be busy during a certain time period, we can most drop back to general discussion and catch-up instead of forcing a rotation where people won't be able to participate. Just let me know.

This has been a bit of an issue for awhile now, and I apologize to anyone who feels I haven't done my job as a moderator in this circle. I also don't feel it's my job to "mother" the group and remind everyone to participate each time, but I also don't want to "baby" the group and ignore problems and lack of participation.

If you don't participate and/or you are inactive for more than 7 weeks, I will send you a warning PM, and enact rule #5 at the two month mark. You are welcome to rejoin when you are able to participate fully again. I say all this because I don't want any member to feel overlooked or unappreciated or ignored during their two weeks turn. The purpose of a reading circle (like a book club) is to read each other's work and give feedback and promote a spirit of encouragement, support, and shared discussion.

Thank you all for your consideration. Please feel free to PM me if you have any additional concerns, questions, or feel something else needs to be addressed. If you agree to the above terms (unless you've made some other arrangement with me personally via PM for extenuating circumstances), please let me know with a simple "Yes," or something of the sort below. That way I know who has read this post and is making an active commitment to the circle.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I have lots of stories and I can switch it out if need be. :) For new rotation.

And I will do my best to keep up with everyones stories. ^^ and that includes letting you know when I have to take a hiatus, I should be good for the most part. At the moment I don't know when the hiatus I need will happen. We're looking at houses.
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 Read your post. You couldn't have put it more clearly.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i wasn't trying to disrespect the group my days off are wednesday thursday . mom knows that so thats when my medical appoinments have been so i wasn't here as much. and i did used to try and read at lest one post during the summer . summer was easier because my room gets dark by the time i get back here now. i hope the glaseses will improve my ablity to read in the dark theres not a lot of light to read by.

i readlegacys whole generation 1. so i am at least caught up there, i rember reading about kass but i forget which story. read a little hefners i think i got to chapter3 which isn;t far but its farther than i got when i started it in the lounge. i was only able to finish legacy cause he writes like i do short but you get the idea.

i hope to have glasses by the muddle of febuary. at the begining i hope not to look like a chipmunk dental sugery is the week before.
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 I totally agree and will be an active participant.

how did your job thingy go. last i heard you were in training.

okay thats not a story related question but i don't see you much so hopefully i'm forgivn.
  • Options
    yes my tuesday schele is going back the way it was so i might not be as tired.

i've been on medication since birth for epilepsy. and it doesn't usually make me sleepy but my schedule kept flip flopping so it mADE THINGS . difficult/

sorry for yhe caps its dark.
  • Options
    Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I totally agree and will be an active participant.

how did your job thingy go. last i heard you were in training.

okay thats not a story related question but i don't see you much so hopefully i'm forgivn.

Most of the hard work is done and only easy classes left. I should be graduating on January 24th and than I will find out which of the hospitals I'll be working at.

• Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    i wasn't trying to disrespect the group my days off are wednesday thursday . mom knows that so thats when my medical appoinments have been so i wasn't here as much. and i did used to try and read at lest one post during the summer . summer was easier because my room gets dark by the time i get back here now. i hope the glaseses will improve my ablity to read in the dark theres not a lot of light to read by.

i readlegacys whole generation 1. so i am at least caught up there, i rember reading about kass but i forget which story. read a little hefners i think i got to chapter3 which isn;t far but its farther than i got when i started it in the lounge. i was only able to finish legacy cause he writes like i do short but you get the idea.

i hope to have glasses by the muddle of febuary. at the begining i hope not to look like a chipmunk dental sugery is the week before.

No one is pointing fingers. And no one expects you to read every story. :grimace: She is speaking to the group in general. I've fallen behind myself, but make a point to speak out about my inactivity. You've done just the same. Don't take it she is pointing fingers at just you or anyone in particular. If she's pointing fingers, it's at the whole group. ;)

Are you wearing glasses now? Bet you look like a cute nerdy friendsfan now. :grimace: And I hope your dental surgery goes smoothly and with the least pain as possible.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options

No one is pointing fingers. And no one expects you to read every story. :grimace: She is speaking to the group in general. I've fallen behind myself, but make a point to speak out about my inactivity. You've done just the same. Don't take it she is pointing fingers at just you or anyone in particular. If she's pointing fingers, it's at the whole group. ;)

Are you wearing glasses now? Bet you look like a cute nerdy friendsfan now. :grimace: And I hope your dental surgery goes smoothly and with the least pain as possible.

lol no. not nerded out yet. my dental sugery pushed the glassses back thats why i said sorry because i see better during the day .but between mrdical stuff and schedule exhaudtion i haven't been as active. this week it goes back to the way my body is use too. so maybe my energy will come back too. since i've been on medication since birth it doesn't effect my health it does what its supposed to but any change to my schedule comes with being tired. yes i know thats everybody but as long as i stick to what my body likes i can usually manage .
  • Options
    but juan valdez who is actully a advertising gimick not real at all is probably staying in busness just on the amount of coffee i buy.
  • Options
    @Shadami I have the answers to your discussion questions:

If my characters were played by real actors from our world, who do you think would play them?

On this type of question,
    1. I sometimes do not go by the look of the actor but more if I think the actor has the personality to pull off the role. EX:In this story I feel like the actors must be able to handle comedy.

2. I might choose an actor that might be too old now but when they were younger would be perfect for their role or in some cases if they were alive

Antwan-Adam Sandler

Candy-Kate Mckinnon

Because of the heir rules that I picked before I even started publishing my story, there was only one of the children that was actually eligible to be the heir. Had I thrown away the rules I had set for myself; which of the five children would you have voted for to be heir? Why?

I would have picked Ace as he seems like the most complex of all the children. He was the one that was most effected by the neglect of his mother but, yet he was ready to look out for the new baby on the way had it been a boy. I have to say that he stole my heart when he made that statement.

My writing style tends to be very free-flowing, and I know that it leaves some inconsistencies to the flow of the story, but I was wondering if it detracted from the story at all? Is there anything I could have done to improve it?

Nothing wrong with being free-flowing which I think is probably best with this type of challenge. Basically, most of the sims are autonomous so you are going with the flow in the game so it makes sense that aspect should come through in the story.

This is my first sim-lit, and first generation is just ending, so I'm still learning. But was the "Plot" interesting? Again. kind of a general, how did I do. What do you think I can do to improve?

I understand how you feel as I feel this is still a learning process for myself too. I do think that in the type of challenge you are writing about in this story that it is not really a plot driven story but a game driven story. There is nothing wrong with that at all as in a game driven story you need to come up with a story after you observe the sims actions which can be a challenge. I like that you came up with birthdates and ages for your sims which you kept track of nicely, but my advice would be to keep your eyes open for opportunities the game will give you to make interesting plot twists.

Sunday Starts

What did you think of the opening chapter?

I thought the opening chapter was very funny. I loved the opening exchange between Antwan and “The Creator Lady” This chapter set the tone for the comedic story that was to follow.

What was your first impression of Antwan?

OMG Antwan is a character. A zany and lovable character but a character.

What made you want to keep reading?

The humor. I love your sense of humor and the zany life this family lives.

Monday Mayhem

What other ISBI's have you read? How is @Shadami's similar or different?

I’ve read only one other ISBI story and that is @AdamsEve1231 ’s. @Shadami ‘s is the same because of the challenge but they are different in The Creator Lady converses to the sims in @Shadami ‘s which doesn’t happen in @AdamsEve1231 ‘s. Another difference is @Shadami uses the premade sims and we follow them throughout the story but @AdamsEve1231 has sim selves and other sims from friends included in the stories.

Favorite mayhem moment in the story?

It’s hard to pick out one moment but I think the favorite mayhem moment had to be the time when Antwan had to distract Paolo so he wouldn’t see him be flirty on TV.

What kind of insane shenanigans works you like to see in the future?

I just want to see the family continue surprising me with their hilarious insanity.

Tuesday Temptations

What are your thoughts to the divorce? Did you expect it? Were you surprised? Which partner do you like better for Antwan?

The marriage clearly wasn’t working, and it was affecting the whole family including the children. It wasn’t a surprise to me at all so I did expect it and I would have to say that Paolo was the better partner for Antwan. I do have to add that I did like that Antwan and Candy were able to become friends again. Antwan and Candy have children together which is a connection that they will always have, and it was better for the family for them to be on friendly terms. I also liked the fact that Candy did see that taking favorites with her kids was wrong and she is acting like a mother to all her kids.

Wednesday W's

Who is your favorite character?

Ace the reason is the answer to the next question in addition to his awesome name

What's your favorite "aw" moment?

When Ace looked at his mother’s belly and said “if you are a boy I will take care of you” I thought that was so sweet that he was already looking to take care of his younger brother at such a young age.

When did you get hooked?

When we first saw Antwan talking to the Creator Lady

Where is your favorite location or setting?

They were always in the house which I loved how we seen it transform throughout the story.
  • Options
    candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    @AdamsEve1231
    1. Any predictions for the future of LVB?
    I guess the next part will be Bella and her life with the alien resistance, and trying to find Emit. She would be forced to make decisions and I'm looking forward to it.

2. What would you like to see for Bella or any of the characters?
    I hope Bella will learn how to take care of herself instead of relying too much on others all the time.
    I want to see Morty rage when he realizes that Bella left him xD
    And I want to see how the kids will deal growing up without their mother.

As for the reading rotation, I'm okay with it.

And thanks for pointing out the rules again. I agree with you.
    I also would like to mention that I'm a little stressed out with RL so I'll be a bit less active in the next weeks. Sorry for that.

And Idk what time it is now where you live, but here's the 9th, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)
  • Options
    @Shadami I have the answers to your discussion questions:

If my characters were played by real actors from our world, who do you think would play them?

On this type of question,
    1. I sometimes do not go by the look of the actor but more if I think the actor has the personality to pull off the role. EX:In this story I feel like the actors must be able to handle comedy.

2. I might choose an actor that might be too old now but when they were younger would be perfect for their role or in some cases if they were alive

Antwan-Adam Sandler

Candy-Kate Mckinnon

Because of the heir rules that I picked before I even started publishing my story, there was only one of the children that was actually eligible to be the heir. Had I thrown away the rules I had set for myself; which of the five children would you have voted for to be heir? Why?

I would have picked Ace as he seems like the most complex of all the children. He was the one that was most effected by the neglect of his mother but, yet he was ready to look out for the new baby on the way had it been a boy. I have to say that he stole my heart when he made that statement.

My writing style tends to be very free-flowing, and I know that it leaves some inconsistencies to the flow of the story, but I was wondering if it detracted from the story at all? Is there anything I could have done to improve it?

Nothing wrong with being free-flowing which I think is probably best with this type of challenge. Basically, most of the sims are autonomous so you are going with the flow in the game so it makes sense that aspect should come through in the story.

This is my first sim-lit, and first generation is just ending, so I'm still learning. But was the "Plot" interesting? Again. kind of a general, how did I do. What do you think I can do to improve?

I understand how you feel as I feel this is still a learning process for myself too. I do think that in the type of challenge you are writing about in this story that it is not really a plot driven story but a game driven story. There is nothing wrong with that at all as in a game driven story you need to come up with a story after you observe the sims actions which can be a challenge. I like that you came up with birthdates and ages for your sims which you kept track of nicely, but my advice would be to keep your eyes open for opportunities the game will give you to make interesting plot twists.

Sunday Starts

What did you think of the opening chapter?

I thought the opening chapter was very funny. I loved the opening exchange between Antwan and “The Creator Lady” This chapter set the tone for the comedic story that was to follow.

What was your first impression of Antwan?

OMG Antwan is a character. A zany and lovable character but a character.

What made you want to keep reading?

The humor. I love your sense of humor and the zany life this family lives.

Monday Mayhem

What other ISBI's have you read? How is @Shadami's similar or different?

I’ve read only one other ISBI story and that is @AdamsEve1231 ’s. @Shadami ‘s is the same because of the challenge but they are different in The Creator Lady converses to the sims in @Shadami ‘s which doesn’t happen in @AdamsEve1231 ‘s. Another difference is @Shadami uses the premade sims and we follow them throughout the story but @AdamsEve1231 has sim selves and other sims from friends included in the stories.

Favorite mayhem moment in the story?

It’s hard to pick out one moment but I think the favorite mayhem moment had to be the time when Antwan had to distract Paolo so he wouldn’t see him be flirty on TV.

What kind of insane shenanigans works you like to see in the future?

I just want to see the family continue surprising me with their hilarious insanity.

Tuesday Temptations

What are your thoughts to the divorce? Did you expect it? Were you surprised? Which partner do you like better for Antwan?

The marriage clearly wasn’t working, and it was affecting the whole family including the children. It wasn’t a surprise to me at all so I did expect it and I would have to say that Paolo was the better partner for Antwan. I do have to add that I did like that Antwan and Candy were able to become friends again. Antwan and Candy have children together which is a connection that they will always have, and it was better for the family for them to be on friendly terms. I also liked the fact that Candy did see that taking favorites with her kids was wrong and she is acting like a mother to all her kids.

Wednesday W's

Who is your favorite character?

Ace the reason is the answer to the next question in addition to his awesome name

What's your favorite "aw" moment?

When Ace looked at his mother’s belly and said “if you are a boy I will take care of you” I thought that was so sweet that he was already looking to take care of his younger brother at such a young age.

When did you get hooked?

When we first saw Antwan talking to the Creator Lady

Where is your favorite location or setting?

They were always in the house which I loved how we seen it transform throughout the story.

These are some wonderful answers and thank you. :) I know they're late because of what was it. She rgeru right? But I appreciate them all the same. I'm going to do my best to work plot in better in future generations. I'm working hard on setting up the next generation with Ambrosia even though it is an isbi. I want more of the drama points that are enjoyed.

Can definitely promise more humor because i think That's just who I am . :3
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited December 2018
    I think I can answer some more questions as I'm in the middle of the uni arch.

Monday Musings
    1. What do you suppose Bella's motivations are early in the story?

At first her motivation wasn't very clear. She seemed to be looking for a purpose in her life. The pact her parents made with Mort changed that. Now she rebels against that arrangement. She wants to find a way to break out of it which makes her character more comprehensible to me and I'm enjoying this part more too.

2. How does Bella change (or stay the same) over time?
    I have yet to read about her later years to compare each of her life stages. I expect that her free-spirited nature will remain the same unless the marriage with Mort somehow manages to crush that part of her. I'm assuming that's where the story is headed - to her marrying Mort.

3. What questions do you have for me?
    What does it feel like to write a story where the readers know the partial outcome (Bella meeting Mort at some point and likely marrying him). Did you feel you had to add something extra, additional plot twists, to balance out that partial predictability?

For those of you who have read through Part 2:
    1. What are your thoughts about...
    ... the University Arc?

Enjoying it so far.

... the introduction of Malcolm?
    Liked that one. Sometimes it is refreshing to be thrown right into middle of things and figure out the details on your own. As a reader I appreciate it when I'm not explained every little thing and can make my own conclusions. The corresponding picture worked perfectly too.

...the introduction of Emit?
    This one was a bit strange. I suppose it was perfectly appropriate to his character. I mentioned it in my comment though that I found Bella's readiness to pick up any stranger and stuck him in her bed rather alarming. :)

... Bella's relationship with Jennifer and Daniel?
    Where I'm at right now Jennifer hasn't been mentioned for a while. Daniel seems to be a decent guy and maybe a better friend for Bella. She generally seems to get along better with guys.

... Bella's relationship with Mortimer?
    Haven't heard from him since he made the arrangement with Simis and Jocasta. He could at least try and let Bella get to know him better before the marriage. I'm hoping it happens in the next chapters.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    "And no one expects you to read every story. :grimace:"

Sorry, but that is exactly what is expected in a reading circle from every member. Not to read everyone else's story is simply not fair. And the rules here are lose enough, everyone can make it to read at least one chapter every two weeks, and give a short feedback, unless it's severe circumstances. And even if you're late, it's not a problem. If you cannot spare 15 Minutes of your time every two weeks, please be fair and take a hiatus, but do not expect others to give back more.
  • Options
    "And no one expects you to read every story. :grimace:"

Sorry, but that is exactly what is expected in a reading circle from every member. Not to read everyone else's story is simply not fair. And the rules here are lose enough, everyone can make it to read at least one chapter every two weeks, and give a short feedback, unless it's severe circumstances. And even if you're late, it's not a problem. If you cannot spare 15 Minutes of your time every two weeks, please be fair and take a hiatus, but do not expect others to give back more.

I have to agree with @candycottonchu as I think she stated this perfectly. The rules that @AdamsEve1231 has set are very fair and very lenient so there really is no reason why we can't follow them.

• Options
    @friendsfan367 hey I know your story is next and I have tried to read it before but I have a hard time finding the correct order so I get lost. Do you have it posted somewhere in order of the posts so that I can follow the story as you intended it to be? :)

I know the few I did read in the past I really enjoyed the style, I just couldn't keep up and lost track :o
  • Options
    Shadami wrote: »
    @friendsfan367 hey I know your story is next and I have tried to read it before but I have a hard time finding the correct order so I get lost. Do you have it posted somewhere in order of the posts so that I can follow the story as you intended it to be? :)

I know the few I did read in the past I really enjoyed the style, I just couldn't keep up and lost track :o

theres not a real index because when i would ask no one responed but the links are in my signature. it jumps around a little cause it went rotational.
  • Options
    @candycottonchu, @friendsfan367, @LegacySims2017, @Piazzagirl1015, @Maladi777, @Shadami

Thank you everyone for your consideration. The rules for our circle are straightforward and clear, designed to encourage participation and for us to have fun. Reading SimLit should be fun! :)

Some of us have difficult things in our lives right now. I'll just ask that everyone be respectful and give people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it's difficult to read between the lines of text, and it might be easy to misinterpret someone's post. However, I also want to be clear that you shouldn't abuse our good graces, so please be respectful and participate.

If you have concerns or if you need to make arrangements with me for extenuating circumstances, please PM me. I will do my best to address things and accommodate. Thank you.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 Do you still have your thread? If so, have you been posting links in order there?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 Do you still have your thread? If so, have you been posting links in order there?

the thread is in my siggy.
  • Options
    @Shadami I would recommend readers check out @friendsfan367's thread to follow the order as best as you can.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @Shadami I would recommend readers check out @friendsfan367's thread to follow the order as best as you can.

when i get back i might try and chrater bios. it started off simple and got complicated the thread should be in order though