Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restaurants: Sims 2 vs Sims 4

People have been saying how they want S4 to be like S2 and have the option of placing their own sims in the host, chef and waiter slots. So, I played S2 for a couple of hours, the Pleasant family. I had them buy a small, family restaurant. Once the prices were set, uniforms chosen and the menu locked, I made Dad the host, Mom the chef and the twins as servers. Sims arrived and I watched as the Pleasants went about hosting, serving and waiting tables. I, too, waited and watched......and watched.......and watched.......and watched........well, you get the idea. I did nothing but sit and watch. I was bored stiff very quickly. Why would anyone want to sit and watch their sims work while you watch. The way S4 is set up, where you play manager, seems much more fun and entertaining. At least with the manager, you can walk around talking to customers, cleaning up spills, schmoozing the critic, even entertain if you want. Plus, you don't have to be there, you can open and close it from home. I just don't get the dogged obsession with being the chef when the player does nothing but sit and watch. Maybe that is a challenge to some but I want more and I'll get it in S4. S2 still had star ratings you needed to raise in order to get perks like S4. Well, those of you who liked S2 restaurants can go back in to the past and play them. Me, I'll be in the present playing S4. That way we all win. You all get to keep playing your favorite game and I, and others, can play our favorite game. We all win.

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    People have been saying how they want S4 to be like S2 and have the option of placing their own sims in the host, chef and waiter slots. So, I played S2 for a couple of hours, the Pleasant family. I had them buy a small, family restaurant. Once the prices were set, uniforms chosen and the menu locked, I made Dad the host, Mom the chef and the twins as servers. Sims arrived and I watched as the Pleasants went about hosting, serving and waiting tables. I, too, waited and watched......and watched.......and watched.......and watched........well, you get the idea. I did nothing but sit and watch. I was bored stiff very quickly. Why would anyone want to sit and watch their sims work while you watch. The way S4 is set up, where you play manager, seems much more fun and entertaining. At least with the manager, you can walk around talking to customers, cleaning up spills, schmoozing the critic, even entertain if you want. Plus, you don't have to be there, you can open and close it from home. I just don't get the dogged obsession with being the chef when the player does nothing but sit and watch. Maybe that is a challenge to some but I want more and I'll get it in S4. S2 still had star ratings you needed to raise in order to get perks like S4. Well, those of you who liked S2 restaurants can go back in to the past and play them. Me, I'll be in the present playing S4. That way we all win. You all get to keep playing your favorite game and I, and others, can play our favorite game. We all win.

You can do that in TS2. Get of your 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and start selling those menu prices to the sims XD or just hire your own manager.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    From my perspective its like the patch, people want options on how to play. We all do so differently. From memory, One reason I like the ts2 ability to fulfill roles - skill based. If I already have expert cook in my active family then that's a leg up for the restaurant.

I understand the reasoning that singuru ninja had around the manager having more to do. What worries me more than any of this, is the time it took to sort the musical chairs issue in restaurants. Don't get me wrong - if not fixed it would seriously undermine the game pack. But the point us, if it weren't already part of the game mechanics, other things could be offered in the game pack.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,421 Member
    I agree with you OP. I don't see the fun in sitting there and watching my sim whip up dishes all day with little to no input from me the player. Then again I'd also be happy to open a restaurant, hire someone to manage it, and just rake in the simoleons while my sim goes off to impregnate the entire town. But that's just me.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I agree with you OP. I don't see the fun in sitting there and watching my sim whip up dishes all day with little to no input from me the player. Then again I'd also be happy to open a restaurant, hire someone to manage it, and just rake in the simoleons while my sim goes off to impregnate the entire town. But that's just me.

I like the way you think @Aeroprincess87.
  • Options
    JuneDuneJuneDune Posts: 50 Member
    Yeah, but it's also kind of boring needing only one Sim from your created Sim family to manage the entire restaurant while the others have no integral role in making the restaurant successful. If The Sims 2 style returned, I wouldn't just sit there and do nothing. I'd manage their needs and probably control one manager Sim around making the guests happy. I would love to have a whole family run the back and front of the house in a restaurant. I guess the only difference is that the employees are family members/household Sims and not random NPCs. Call it silly and insignificant, but it feels more personal to me. I just wish they had provided the option, which they did in The Sims 2. I mean, no one's forcing your Sims to do the grunt work; they can hire NPCs as well in that game.

I guess I see the limitations and design choices when deciding not to include this option. There's no use in crying over spilled milk anyway. Just wanted to explain my reasoning to wanting that option, is all. :smile:
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I wonder if we can still sneek out of paying? It always scared me getting caught.
  • Options
    PukingautotunePukingautotune Posts: 154 Member
    Like it's gonna be anything different in the Sims 4? all that there is to do is to watch, and watch, and watch... It's not like there are so many thing yo do as an manger that you weren't able to do in the Sims 2 already
    tumblr_nz9zidvExq1s2nj6io1_250.gif
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I particularly like that you don't have to be there to have the restaurant open for business. I, too, don't understand the fascination, but people want they want. I understand their reasoning for not having us fulfill these roles. The end.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I loved watching my family run a restaurant in Sims 2. But I usually had one family member manage and also hired extra help. ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

You were doing it wrong. :D
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I'm going to be honest, I didn't like OFB. :tries to avoid the torches and pitchforks: Don't get me wrong, I was happy the features were there, but it just wasn't for me. I found the routines to be monotonous and kind of boring, but I did enjoy reading the blogs and seeing the pictures that other simmers shared about their stores and dining experiences. It was definitely a worthy addition to TS2 that supported multiple play styles.

I'm excited that they're trying something a little different this time around, and I am hoping that I like it more. So far, it looks really promising, so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I totally understand why some peeps would be upset about the alterations, though. If you absolutely adored how OFB was implemented, I can see how you'd really want to see the same system used again and just fine tuned and updated a bit. That's how I felt about Makin' Magic and TS3 Supernatural. I was totally crushed it didn't have that Makin' Magic flare, but it ended up being a marvelous EP in its own right.

I'm optimistic this will prove true for Dine Out as well.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

How can I be doing it wrong if I'm playing the way I want to play? That is everyone's point isn't it?
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member

How can I be doing it wrong if I'm playing the way I want to play? That is everyone's point isn't it?

The problem is we can only play it the way you want in Sims 4. Sims 2 allowed us to play it both ways. That's the difference.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,460 Member
    Sims 4 restuarents are much better since you can order various foods and drinks for all sims your with and cause you can even order while your in the bathroom and because you can continuelly order.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    They both have their positives and negatives. In Sims 2, it was fun to play a restaurant or bakery as a family-owned business. I usually did it with multi-generational families. The grandmother, who usually had the highest cooking level, made all the dishes available in the game (plus some custom foods), while the other family members ran around taking care of customers and cleaning up etc. My food-related businesses were always wildly successful. Dating in the Sims 2 was superior in many ways to dating in Sims 4, as well, since the requirements for successful dates were usually tied to the venues etc, and there were many more socials for sims to do together when you owned all the packs, which kept the activities and animations interesting.

In Sims 4, though the gameplay is often rather simplified in comparison to Sims 2, I enjoy the multi-tasking and emotion systems quite a bit. I haven't got bored with the game yet (although maybe that's because I still play TS2 and TS3 as well). In this pack, the restaurants look like so much fun due to the high degree of customization, and managing a successful restaurant right up to 4 stars does look like it will be both challenging and interesting. I am eager to see what other (as yet unknown) features are available in this pack.
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    Sims 2 Restaurants from what I can remember were very hard to run .As much as I wish I could have one sim be a chef I'm kinda glad they didn't include that on top of trying to be a waiter and host and be a manager .I wish they'd put the chef in atleast for one family member or gave us an option
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Am I a horrible person for liking Dine out more than Ofb? I just love the way Restaurants are going to work in Sims 4, can't help it. :o
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited June 2016
    My two cents: NPC-owned restaurants in TS4 seem to be better than TS2 restaurants if you like the restaurant experience itself (i.e. Going to the restaurant with your sims). Which means Dine Out restaurants are better that nightlife restaurants. Since that's the part of the pack I'm really interested in, I'm happy with it.

Now, as regards the business aspect I believe each game has its pros and its cons. For someone who wants the whole restaurant management experience (including running a family restaurant and being a chef, waiter etc.) OFB wins hands down since it allows the player more freedom to do whatever they want to do.

But: TS4 mangement system seems more detailed (you can eg choose a dress code for your restaurant) and it seems like restaurants will finally be a profitable business (it was nearly impossible to make a profit with restaurants in Ts2, and I believe this was partly due to the fact that OFB was not focused on restaurants).
  • Options
    GentleSimmer1990GentleSimmer1990 Posts: 125 Member
    Hi QDog!

Yes, this is also my impression and I think you are right with your obersvation.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Like it's gonna be anything different in the Sims 4? all that there is to do is to watch, and watch, and watch... It's not like there are so many thing yo do as an manger that you weren't able to do in the Sims 2 already

Not true.

In The Sims 2, once you assign a Chef, Host and Waitress, they do everything that needs to be done until it closes. No player input needed.

In Dine Out, if the player doesn't intervene and make sure everything is running smoothly, the Restaurant will fall apart. You have to be constantly aware of whats going on.

Very different.
  • Options
    @IceyJ wrote: »

Not really. As a fan of The Sims 2, owning a restaurant was about watching. The player wasn't in-charge of "do this, deliver to table ____" or anything.

You assigned 3 Sims and the game did the rest. You may to need to intervene to fill needs, and then reassign them again. That's it. There's no "Customer has a complaint, or Food Critic has arrived" "Place is messy, clean it up" etc. As long as they are in good moods, the game runs itself.
  • Options
    @sawdust wrote: »

The problem is we can only play it the way you want in Sims 4. Sims 2 allowed us to play it both ways. That's the difference.

How does the Sims 2 allow you to do both ways? The Sims 2 barely let you do it one way.
    I mean, you simply assign Sims to jobs and watch. Any extra player input has nothing to do with running a Restaurant and doesn't meant anything than the illusion of doing more.

The Sims 4 is more borrowing elements from The Sims Online.
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    You could hire others to do the tasks while you chatted to customers if you wanted.
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    I love OFB and also how Dine Out is done. Wish some of the features would have carried over, but overall I'm impressed with both versions?
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    sawdust wrote: »
    You could hire others to do the tasks while you chatted to customers if you wanted.

Yes, but in S2 chatting doesn't do anything, does it? In S4, chatting helps build your rating to get more perks. Plus, as manager in S4, you can interact with staff (fire, praise, train, encourage, etc) that you couldn't do in S2.