Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help! Legacy file corrupted! [SOLVED- AND FIXED!]

JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
edited May 2016 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
So I've tried five times now to load a save. It reaches the screen where I choose the save and then loads until a certain point, and crashes. I've repaired the game through origin, restarted my computer.

Currently seeing if a new save will still crash, but I'm frustrated because I'm on generation six on this save. I've never had this issue before.

Also am I losing it or is the initial loading screen new?

EDIT: Update is that a new save works fine, so something is wrong with the legacy file! :s

EDIT 2: So I went into my saves and tried to restore my backup file. I changed the name from (mysave).sims3.backup to (mysave).sims3 and it loaded my backup when I reached the in game screen to pick a save, but that still didn't work.

I'm really at a loss for ideas here.
Post edited by JayandMeeka on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Would outdated mods cause a crash?
    Edit: found out it's not the problem. Updated them and still crashed. Also I tried taking them out all together and it made it to the actual game.. For 10 seconds. A pop up read "items have gone missing" or something and sims never loaded and then it crashed.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Bump!

If anyone knows who can fix this please tag them!

@igazor @rosemow I'm sorry to tag you two but can you help? Any ideas?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The first thing to check is, if you are on Patch 1.69, are all of the EP/SPs this ongoing game is expected to have in play actually selected (checkboxed) in the new Launcher pack chooser tab?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    The first thing to check is, if you are on Patch 1.69, are all of the EP/SPs this ongoing game is expected to have in play actually selected (checkboxed) in the new Launcher pack chooser tab?

*gasp* NO! They're not! What does that mean?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It means that, more than likely, your game is fine. On Patch 1.69, you are meant to select the EP/SPs you want in play each time you start up. The Launcher will not do a very good job of remembering your selections in between game sessions. Most of us play with all of the EP/SPs we own all the time, unless we have a very good reason not to.

Once an ongoing saved game has "seen" an EP, in many cases it cannot be played forward without it in place. SPs not so much, substitutions can be made for missing objects, but if you didn't intend to "uncheck" all those boxes then I would suggest trying to load up your game again with all of them checked.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    KatyJay88 wrote: »

*gasp* NO! They're not! What does that mean?

It doesn't really "mean" anything. Those will randomly uncheck themselves per EA's usually bugginess it it's products. You should confirm that the packs you are playing with are checked for the save you intend to load from the save game chooser screen each time you launch the game.
  • Options
    Good news! I checked the boxes and loaded the game just fine! Thank you SO much @igazor! You saved my legacy! Thank you!!

Thanks @TreyNutz that's so helpful! I will from now on.

Wow. EA contacted me on twitter and basically told me my legacy file was corrupted. I legitimately started mourning and coming to grips with the fact that I had to start over.

Thank you. So much.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    That is good news.

EA is fantastic with store customer support, or so their reputation goes. For technical support? Uhm...next subject, please.

But now you have to listen to a lecture. Not sure, but from the sound of it you only had one copy of your legacy game save plus its automatically generated backup file. That's not a recipe for safety should something like actual corruption go wrong with your ongoing game. It's a much better strategy to always use Save AS (not Save, not Save & Quit) and change the name of your saved game slightly each time such as by adding a number or a date on the end. That way you will always have 4, 6, 10 however many you want recent captures of your game to revert to should you need them. After a while, you can begin deleting the older saves.

Wouldn't have helped in this case since the game was fine to begin with, but just some advice for going forward. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I second @igazor 's "lecture". I keep 4 backups at all times using Save As, and another set of 4 when my sims travel. I use NRaas Saver to help remind me to save regularly but doing it manually works just as well.
  • Options
    That is good news.

EA is fantastic with store customer support, or so their reputation goes. For technical support? Uhm...next subject, please.

But now you have to listen to a lecture. Not sure, but from the sound of it you only had one copy of your legacy game save plus it's automatically generated backup file. That's not a recipe for safety should something like actual corruption go wrong with your ongoing game. It's a much better strategy to always use Save AS (not Save, not Save & Quit) and change the name of your saved game slightly each time such as by adding a number or a date on the end. That way you will always have 4, 6, 10 however many you want recent captures of your game to revert to should you need them. After a while, you can begin deleting the older saves.

Wouldn't have helped in this case since the game was fine to begin with, but just some advice for going forward. :)
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I second @igazor 's "lecture". I keep 4 backups at all times using Save As, and another set of 4 when my sims travel. I use NRaas Saver to help remind me to save regularly but doing it manually works just as well.

Amazing advice. I've had worse lectures :wink:
    But I will shamefully admit, those were my only two saves - original and back up. I will no longer save/save and quit - which was my go to. Always save as now. I guess I got off easy on this one. But definitely lesson learned!

Now accepting my punishment
    200.gif