Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Non-Klepto Glitch?

Glancing at the pics attached, one will think "so?", that's a typical interaction for a stolen item and the buff that accompanies returning the stolen item. The thing is the sim doesn't have the klepto trait, her teen daughter does and is the one who brought the stolen book home from school.

This is the first time I've had a sim, other than the actual klepto, click on a stolen object and am not sure if this result is a bug or not. @SimGuruNick , could you let us know if this should be reported as a bug, or if this is by design and working as intended?

[img][/img]2qnmy45.png

[img][/img]w8uwip.png

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Hello
    Other sims from the same family may be able to return the stolen items and so receive a moodlet from doing it. The sim who has the klepto trait is a part of the sims household, so I think that other members of the household can also return the stolen items as well.
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Thanks @rosemow , it just looks really odd for a non-klepto sim to show that option.

The teen has another book in her inventory that she pilfered from the school. Just to see what will happen, I'm going to have her put it on a table and rotate to another household and send a sim to visit. I'm curious as to whether or not a sim who isn't a member of the household will get the option to return the object.
  • Options
    Hello.
    Is the option to return the stolen item appearing on other items that your teen has stolen also, when you are playing her mother? Try testing with other stolen items too.
  • Options
    Okay, will do. Could be books are a special case so if one is left on a public lot any sim could pick it up or return it. I had not thought of that.
  • Options
    @rosemow Okay, the mother also gets the option to return the sim posters the teen stole and kept for her room's wall. Not a big deal since she is a member of the household.

I also sent another active sim from another played family to visit the home and he, too, got the option to return the book, as well as the posters on the wall. Had I wanted him to do so, he could have pulled the décor right from the teen sim's room. That just doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    Hello.
    Thankyou for posting the results of your testing.

I am not sure if what is happening is by design or if it is a bug issue.

Try starting a new save game, and testing to see if the same thing occurs.

Do you have cc/mods in your game? If you do, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issue is still there.

Try repairing the game and seeing if the same thing occurs. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy the "options.ini" and "ReticulatedSplinesView" files and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated files/ folders with the old files/folders.
  • Options
    No mods or cc. I've never used them. I think I'll do a bug report at AHQ. Maybe crinrict can get clarification of the issue.
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1 wrote: »
    No mods or cc. I've never used them. I think I'll do a bug report at AHQ. Maybe crinrict can get clarification of the issue.

Hello
    It would be good to do a bug report on the AHQ EA site. It would be good to know if it is an intended feature or not.
    Did you try testing it on a new save game, and did the same thing occur?
    Also did you try repairing the game and resetting the sims 4 folder?
  • Options
    SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    This issue is As Designed. When an object gets stolen, it receives a hidden trait saying it was stolen, and at that point anybody should be able to return it. The only bug that might exist here is whether or not the text from the buff and TNS are accurate when a non-klepto returns the object.
  • Options
    This issue is As Designed. When an object gets stolen, it receives a hidden trait saying it was stolen, and at that point anybody should be able to return it. The only bug that might exist here is whether or not the text from the buff and TNS are accurate when a non-klepto returns the object.

Hello.
    Thankyou very much for letting us know :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Appreciate SGNick stopping in to clarify. I don't recall if the wording for the buff was identical to what an actual klepto receives or not. I'll have to check on that. Also don't recall precisely what the wording is in the notification gotten when a klepto returns an object. The one for the non-klepto simply states she has returned the object to its rightful owner. I'll check that as well the next time the situation arises. My main concern was whether or not a non-klepto should be able to return a stolen object.

@rosemow , sorry to be late back to the thread. Had to take care of RL things but want you to know I wasn't just not responding to your questions.

I did do a game repair today before returning to the thread but had not done a folder reset. From SGNick's post, it doesn't seem that should be necessary but before I make that final decision I have a question for you. I realized as I was checking my folders that since patching yesterday I no longer have a scratch folder. If you've patched, do you still have one in your files?

I am sure it was there before patching because I was checking the memory .jpgs in it. Now I wonder where in the heck those are stored, if the folder has been removed from everyone's game.
  • Options
    Hello.
    The scratch folder is only used when playing the game. Have you tried starting the game, playing for a little while , then coming out and seeing if a new folder has been created?
  • Options
    Hi @rosemow , yes I know it is only used while playing but up until this patch it was visible in the saves folder, even when not playing. Now it is not visible after closing down the game.

I had played a session prior to mentioning its absence. I just played again and tried an experiment while doing so. I paused the game and alt tabbed to the desktop to check the saves folder while the game was running. When I did that, I could see the scratch folder but it's gone again after quitting the game.

This doesn't affect play at all. The devs have just changed the scratch folder's visibility after a play session for some reason. I'm not "techy" enough to even begin to guess why, other than to think it might be for optimization. Since my game works fine I'm not going to worry about it.