Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where did the ''fading emotions'' system go?!

One thing I was wondering when I was rewatching some of the pre-release trailers of The Sims 4.

Remember how Emotions should fade in time? Like how a depressed emotion would fade into ''sad'' and eventually wear off?

Where did that go? I mean wasn't that the point of the emotion system?..

https://youtu.be/Ny--Xm1skgU?t=2m18s

Comments

• Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I never noticed that before
    I wish they actually worked like that in game, both with the fading thing and the way they acted. I think I'd actually like the emotions if they were really angry the instant something happened but then down to angry after having time alone, then back to happy, rather than just dropping an angry moodlet all of a sudden and going back to grinning lol
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    The same place the rest of the 'we ran out of time' features or concept went?

Probably :P
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Wait...it doesn't happen like that? I thought it did.
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited May 2016
    It is still there, but it is no longer from depressed to sad and instead from very sad to sad etc. They changed all the names of the strong versions of the emotions to "very"
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'm confused, Doesn't they game do that? A Sim is in an Emotion for a certain amount of time, depending on what happened, and then they get over it... the emotion changes.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I don't think I've seen that in my game at all and I didn't buy it when it first came out. (Waited for 50% off sales) They usually get mad or sad then turn happy again over something simple like enjoying the decor. Those moods are usually still there but cancelled out by others each time
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited May 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Wait...it doesn't happen like that? I thought it did.
    Been a while since I actually read any moodlet text, but I think only a few do. Like a sim that's very sad about the death of a friend will be very sad for 2 days and then the moodlet's gone, it doesn't drop to sad. An uncomfortable moodlet from hunger will drop to very uncomfortable if they continue to not eat though.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    False Advertisement will be suing. lmao.
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    I just wish they had a functioning memory system. They kind of implied one, like if a another sim does you wrong, they should remember that the next time they interact. It looks like they were partially there with being able to link an emotion to the photo "memories", but those don't come into normal gameplay without player directing. I loved having the memory tab in TS2, and looking back on a lifetime of memories. If the did something like that, and had emotions tied with them, and sims actually remembered them that would be cool.
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    I don't think I've seen that in my game at all and I didn't buy it when it first came out. (Waited for 50% off sales) They usually get mad or sad then turn happy again over something simple like enjoying the decor. Those moods are usually still there but cancelled out by others each time

Exactly this. I've never really notice much of fading emotions in my game, but then, it seems there are a million and one ways for my sims to become happy again, so it's not like I would really notice it if it was there.

Sadly seems to make some traits, like hot headed, a bit useless if all they need to do is talk to a mirror every time they get angry, for example.
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    The really bad thing is the illusionary voice of Lyndsay Pearson about that video. She can transform everything (including half-baked things) into "amazing & wonderful" :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @rudy8292 Oh wow, I forgot about this video. I'm assuming they must have changed things, as the Sim in the yellow was furious, and then cranky. I've never seen any of those emotions or depressed in game, when it was released.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2016
    @rudy8292 Oh wow, I forgot about this video. I'm assuming they must have changed things, as the Sim in the yellow was furious, and then cranky. I've never seen any of those emotions or depressed in game, when it was released.

I think they just renamed some of them after that was made, as @TheSimer said earlier. In-game, it's Angry, Very Angry, Enraged, according to info I can find (I've never seen Enraged in-game, but I've seen Very Angry). Sad goes to Very Sad - probably a good thing, as lots of us who've actually been Depressed can testify that "Very Sad" really doesn't describe it - they're quite different things, sadness and depression, and depression can be without "sadness" at all.

The fading in and out is there, but how fast it happens depends on lots of things, environment one of them (I agree that the effect is too strong - I mod it on and off, depending on my own mood). Sometimes you can just get multiple moodlets expiring or starting close together and it happens fast.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    IceDrizzle27IceDrizzle27 Posts: 648 Member
    I agree. I wish it was like that because my Sim would go from very sad to energized or happy within Sims minutes.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Sad goes to Very Sad - probably a good thing, as lots of us who've actually been Depressed can testify that "Very Sad" really doesn't describe it - they're quite different things, sadness and depression, and depression can be without "sadness" at all.
    I just want to say "thank you" for stating this! A couple of weeks ago I thought about how to simulate depression and arrived at Lazy, Dazed, Hot-headed, negation of environmental and taste buffs as well as the elimination of whims and then stopped further overthinking it.

So I guess I need to say something on topic, too. Fading would be kinda pointless, as the strongest emotion always takes over anyway. So if Creative +2 ends, the second strong emotion takes over. If Creative+2 faded to +1, the second strongest emotion would take over, either, so no big difference. The whole system could use an overhaul. Imo it would make sense if sim behaviour, dialogue options (including the special foods/drinks) and whims were governed by all emotions a sim is currently feeling, weighted by strenght. But only the strongest would be applied to job performance and skilling.

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    It kinda works like that... i very sad sim will become sad and then normal unless they are triggered again into becoming ver sad
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member

I think they just renamed some of them after that was made, as @TheSimer said earlier. In-game, it's Angry, Very Angry, Enraged, according to info I can find (I've never seen Enraged in-game, but I've seen Very Angry). Sad goes to Very Sad - probably a good thing, as lots of us who've actually been Depressed can testify that "Very Sad" really doesn't describe it - they're quite different things, sadness and depression, and depression can be without "sadness" at all.

The fading in and out is there, but how fast it happens depends on lots of things, environment one of them (I agree that the effect is too strong - I mod it on and off, depending on my own mood). Sometimes you can just get multiple moodlets expiring or starting close together and it happens fast.

I do agree with you on the depressed emotion and glad that wasn't included. However, it would have been nice to see the other ones instead of it being generic with the word 'very', however, I've been playing this game since it came out and never really paid any attention to it until this video, so I don't think it's that big of deal. But I will say that I do like different state of emotion like cranky and furious to describe the 'angry emotion'.
  • Options
    meuamourmeuamour Posts: 117 Member
    It does that in my game.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016
    Aine wrote: »
    You know, it doesn't make sense to me how decor effects the mood in this game. What I would like instead is to have a surroundings need bar, and have the entirety of the needs effect the mood and emotions. That would make alot more sense. If something got me sad, and then I hadn't eaten or slept for a long time, I'd easily get alot more cranky. If I then lived in a crap hole and everything was dirty with no pictures on the walls, I can imagine I'd be sad longer. But the way the system is now, it doesn't make sense. The decision to make decor part of the emotions was just really bad imo. They should just have made it part of the needs instead, as they should have the comfortable need. It doesn't make sense, Maxis, it doesn't make sense!
    Yeah I would have preferred it that way too. Emotions would have been so much better if a detailed memory system would have been included in the game like it had with the Sims 2. Traits feeling weak, doesn't help emotions that much either. The fading effect I noticed has been changed over time with patches. It used to be better.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    The fading is still there and it's the same as was shown in the video, they just changed some of the names of the deeper stages of some Emotions by adding a "Very" in front of the base name for it. I personally would've preferred if they had a different name for each stage of it though.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    dspvitordspvitor Posts: 45 Member
    new emotions come in handy
    Sorry my bad English. Not mastered the language and use a translator to be closer to you.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    One thing I was wondering when I was rewatching some of the pre-release trailers of The Sims 4.

Remember how Emotions should fade in time? Like how a depressed emotion would fade into ''sad'' and eventually wear off?

Where did that go? I mean wasn't that the point of the emotion system?..

https://youtu.be/Ny--Xm1skgU?t=2m18s

It was. And they took out the "depressed emotion" and the emotion could thingy ( which was super cool) on the UI.

Have no idea why but it was a horrible decision.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1