Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Emotion System: The Dark Side Needs More Power

The emotion system in TS4 isn't bad...but it also isn't quite the amazing feature that people had hoped for either. People are saying it's shallow, it's weak, it feels like a bunch of RPG status buffs and not much else...but why? We can argue that some of the emotion-dependent interactions aren't all that great (Emotional toilet use, anyone?) or there should be more of them, but there's more to it than that.

The reason why TS4's emotion system really feels lacking is because it's heavily weighted in favor of positive (Happy, Flirty, Playful) and helpful (Inspired, Focused, Energized) emotions, while negative emotions are either hard to come by without emotional artwork or special traits (Angry, Sad, Bored) or too easily resolved (Tense, Uncomfortable, Embarrassed). Add that to the fact that burying negative emotions is as easy as putting up a few paintings and using decor that's anything but the cheapest, and the fact that negative emotions lack a baseline booster like Happy for the positive emotions and...well, you can see how the system can become so lopsided as to begin to feel shallow and inconsequential to the player.

So, what can be done to get this fixed? Simple: The Dark Side needs more Power. It must equal the Light, and not be so easily squashed by it. Part of that is going to be adding a baseline booster emotion for negative emotions. Uncomfortable and Tense have great potential in this area, especially because they are nearly as easy to come by as Happy. Another would be nerfing the happiness aura given off by having nice decor so that it doesn't override negative emotions unless coupled with another positive emotion (Inspired, Playful, etc.) and a Happy moodlet from some other source or two Happy moodlets from another source.

I also think that adding new sources of negative feelings would also help the balance out. For instance, adding a "fears" system to balance out the whims, where having a a fear be fulfilled would result in a negative moodlet (Sad, Angry, Embarrassed, Tense). Adding more activities and even some careers which could benefit from going in with a negative mood would also help. Maybe if the political career is brought back, the darker branch could rely on going in to work angry, for example. And when magic is brought back into the game, maybe Black Magic could be more effective or the skill level could go up more quickly if your sim is angry or sad while studying or casting spells...And, yes, more interesting emotion-based interactions

The key here, though, is balance. If the Dark Side continues to be too weak compared to the Light, then the emotions system will continue to feel shallow and lopsided. Negative emotions are just as important as positive ones to our experiences and lives...and those of our sims as well.
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2016
    It does. I mean I can balance it better with Zerbu's mods, but I shouldn't have to rely on mods to get a balanced game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited April 2016
    if you have GT then try it out to get sims into clubs with certain behavioural preference, in this case the mean, evil, mischievious, confident, snobbish, materialistic
    & behavioural abhorance of nice, friendly, flirty, playful, talkative

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    More power to the dark side!. May the force be with you. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    In my opinion, there are simply too much ways to manipulate emotions and too many ways to achieve an happy buff... I have a mod to stop the happy buff from the decorations and yet, my Sims are always happy from the food or a comfortable seating, or the high needs level. The fact that happy boost other emotions is a problem too in my game, my Sims are never angry, unless I force it. Now maybe is not the incredible amount of things that gives the happy buff the real problem but the duration of the buff.... 4 hours happy for a cake is simply wrong. Bored should be more frequent too.... I wish low fun would trigger a bored buff and not tense. As for traits and emotions I would totally remove the buffs from the tea machine, the shower and such.. this alone would give me a real reason to pick creative or genius over perfectionist.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    @SiliClone I totally agree with you there, Happy is too easily triggered and much too OP. The duration and power of most Happy moodlets is is often overblown, and it's quite annoying that background buffs like having all needs met or eating a nice meal are strong enough to overpower the random natural negative moods from the Hot-Headed and Gloomy traits. Those should definitely be strengthened while the Happy moodlets are made either harder to activate for those personality types or just harder to achieve all-around for all but Cheerful and Goofball sims.

I also second swapping Bored for Tense when fun is low. That never made sense to me either...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Gloomy is just too weak ... it's a +2 sad for 4 hours I think.... I can say that I'm a gloomy person and usually when I wake up in a bad mod I stay in that bad mood unless something really cool happens. Hot headed is slightly better but last too few just the same. Bad moods from the school are powerful enough to overcome the happy buff sometime, just because they last 8 hours.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    I agree. I wish there was more diversity between sims who felt the same. Like, if both sims felt happy, they can express that in other ways besides sending a happy text or whatever.
    I kind of wish sims felt a bit more unique with their personality, as well as a balanced out more difficult emotional system.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I think the happy buff from decor is one of the biggest issues. Fine makes sense as the default emotion, but you hardly see it since 2 paintings in a room apparently make your life amazing, and since it can go even higher than +1 with a very well decorated house a sim who has an uncomfortable moodlet from being dirty might be happy anyways cause there's a flower vase.

I think we need more emotions and they should be a bit less easy to manipulate. I know jobs basically encourage you to manipulate moods, but it just feels unnatural to me. Also definitely more emphasis on negative moodlets, they're too easy to ignore with positive buffs.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Darker game play would make the game more fun

Fears
    I want fears to be developed through game play, through experiences.
    Example:
    If a sim had a near drowning experience. Sim survives, the sim will acquire the Hydrophobic trait.
    and from time to time, the sim will get a whim to brave that fear.

Same with supernaturals I think only if a Sim had a bad run in with a supernatural in the past, like a sorcerer cursed them/someone they have high relationships with. they will become a Pessimist towards Sorcerers, only sorcerers not all supernaturals.
    in order to overcome that fear the sim who is afraid must either:
    A: Defeat the life state.
    B: said life state could do something positive to change their views.

Remake Evil and Good Traits
    Sims with the Evil trait aren't evil enough
    I want that delicious, unapologetic, self-righteous, most vile, Evil

Sims who take what they want not giving a care how it effects another person.
    Taking Revenge!

like for supernaturals, and magic, I hope when the time comes magic will be dark and twisted.

like Curse ingredients
    For a curse that destroys the chances of a couple ever conceiving a child, I imagine:
    • Sleeping Curse
    • Toadstool
    • The Teardrop of a Crying Baby/Toddler

I would happily make a sim baby/toddler cry, to make this Curse.
    Slip the curse into Bella Goth's meal and watch her eat it.
    I mean how Ultimate!?
    it could be a wound that would never heal, of course theres an antidote but the odds of finding it are slim.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    @MasonGamer when they will do supernatural, curses and magic will only give the victim an uncomfortable buff or similar, unless they radically change approach on the actual system. I could place a bet on this guess.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'd like the ability to hide moodlets sometimes like in TS3 in fact I wish they were hidden by default for better game immersion.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SiliClone wrote: »
    @MasonGamer when they will do supernatural, curses and magic will only give the victim an uncomfortable buff or similar, unless they radically change approach on the actual system. I could place a bet on this guess.

well on top of "need" curses, those will act on uncomfortable.
    but if they did a curse like I said, the victims, will become depressed(Very sad)
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

The current voodoo doll barely does anything to the sims. There is no animation on the victim. You just know you kind of did something because when you talk to them you can see their emotion. I believe something similar will probably happen to Makin' Magic in TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The current voodoo doll barely does anything to the sims. There is no animation on the victim. You just know you kind of did something because when you talk to them you can see their emotion. I believe something similar will probably happen to Makin' Magic in TS4.

Well voodoo isn't really that powerful. That's all it really can do, the holder is basically toying with the doll and the person.
    but maybe they can expanded on it.

I on the other hand would reach for something much Darker
    Literally rip the heart out of a living sim.
    Doing so could disable emotions for the sim.
    • never being able to love
    • pain (Sadness/anger/tense)
    • happiness
    nothing.
    and if the holder of the heart were to crush it.
    well I'm hoping for death, maybe a fate worse than death its self. permanent loss of feelings.

and just imagine all the things you can do with a heart.
    control another sim NPC townie or a sim on another lot, as if they were part of your household.
    as long as you hold their heart you can summon that sim.
    cast curses, decorate your house, Amber's Heart would look lovely on my mantle.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    If would be cool if new emotions were added over time, like scared, bored, confused etc.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    Agreed. Enough happyland!!!
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Yeaaah! Enough gloomy sims happy all the time!
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »
    If would be cool if new emotions were added over time, like scared, bored, confused etc.

there is Bored in the game, maybe you just didn't noticed because
    1. it's seldom
    2. it happens not much with it
    :grimace:

& instead of Confused there is Dazed
    also seldom & also happens not much with it

& about Scared
    somehow i think the devs intentionally didn't include it
    & prefered to replace reactions to situations which would usually form in humans the Scared emotions with only Tense
    no idea what the intention was though :tongue:

but overall i doubt it very much that there will be new emotions
    such basic features, which define how sims act, interact & react to ALL situations have to be made before the release of the game
    because every situation has a complete set of animations made with the different 15 emotions available
    new emotions would mean that new sets of animations had to be made by recording via motion capturing

• Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I agree they're way too happy
  • Options
    lillyfoxlillyfox Posts: 21 Member
    I agree. There is no challenge to keeping everyone happy at all. I would like to see the sims acting and interacting with other sims more spontaneously based on all their emotions. Also, I think the sim traits should play a more prominent role in how sims feel and behave. An evil, gloomy, child hating sim can act much the same way as a cheerful, family oriented, goofy sim. The game is not as interesting as it could be.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    @Rukola_Schaaf I see bored in my game constantly now, one is from the GT because they haven't joined a club (and don't even have the insider trait) always bored now. And one is from watching a movie...it gives all my Sims a bored emotion. It is annoying as in overkill again.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Rukola_Schaaf I see bored in my game constantly now, one is from the GT because they haven't joined a club (and don't even have the insider trait) always bored now. And one is from watching a movie...it gives all my Sims a bored emotion. It is annoying as in overkill again.
    maybe it's the revenge of the devs because simmers told them that the game was boring :lol:

• Options
    CCLeighCCLeigh Posts: 33 Member
    I would like to see the "dark side" gain more power! If I wanted an angry sim, shes/he is only angry til they walk into a nice house...? ok...? I guess thats cool....*Eye roll* More Feeling is much needed with these new feelings!
  • Options
    MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    I feel there is almost too many benefits and added actions for the "good" emotions, in contrast to the bad.
    There are just so many angry poops and sad paintings you can do before you are bored of it.

For me it would be fun if all of the moods had an impact on whims.
    Not just the emotional whims, but also the "regular" ones that I haven't locked.
    Now it's too obvious that they are mostly influenced by the latest game.

eks. my non committal sim got a uncomfortable moodlet, about work or something.
    no whims about wanting to actually quit work or what career he wanted instead.
    I did make him quit his job and the moodlet was still there... :|
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard