Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lacking reaction

I don't want this to be just another complainy post, but I just keep running into disappointment. This happened to me a few weeks ago, but it just keeps bothering me, so I thought I would share it.

I don't usually play families, not in any of the Sims games. It just isn't really my style. But recently I did a legacy challenge, and had kids in the game really for the first time. (I had one back when the game came out, to see how pregnancy and all that worked, but got bored of that save rather quickly.)

Anyway, the kid was playing with a chemistry table when a fire started. I immediately paused the game, sent the kid to stand in the front yard, and set Mom to putting out the fire. When the fire was out, I sent her out to console the kid. After all, a fire in your bedroom would be pretty traumatic! He didn't care. There was no 'give reassuring hug', or 'express concern' from the mother to child. There was no 'ask for comfort' from the child. When the father came home, no one rushed to tell him all about the days excitement. The child didn't tell any of the other kids in the neighborhood.

Think how you would have reacted, IRL, if you were the mother or child. You would talk about it. But something as exciting, unusual, and potentially dangerous happened in the game, and not one Sim reacted in any way to it. The kid had no fear or nervousness to use the table again, Mom didn't need a glass of wine in the tub to come down from the stress and adrenaline from saving her only son from a house fire. Just....nothing.

I've had Sims die around them without caring, and I've heard other talk about their Sims catching spouses cheating and not caring, and it almost feels like the people that designed these interactions have no idea how real people would act in these situations.

I just try so hard to enjoy this game, to experience what some people just keep raving about for some reason. But all I get is endless disappointment every time.

Anyone else have a story like this?
Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png

Comments

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Okay granted but.... fires are a pretty common occurrance in the Sim's World. I mean it would be on par with saying there were clouds in the sky today, oh and the stove caught on fire again and burned the kitchen down, again. Lol. Dad would probably just shrug and be like yeah I took some deep breaths today as well.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Okay granted but.... fires are a pretty common occurrance in the Sim's World. I mean it would be on par with saying there were clouds in the sky today, oh and the stove caught on fire again and burned the kitchen down, again. Lol. Dad would probably just shrug and be like yeah I took some deep breaths today as well.

That was the second fire I have ever had in TS4. The first was when the game came out and I tried to cook with a low skill. It's not that common.
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    TS4 has been streamlined from prior installments, so a lot of what we might think of as normal human reactions just aren't there anymore. I deal with it by accepting that Sims aren't humans, and they react to things in ways we would not expect. For me, as I've learned more about how the game was designed, it's become a matter of playing the game as it is, rather than wishing it was more like TS2.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The broadcasters in the game were tweaked, but they need to be tweaked a lot more to be stronger. Sims should be able to react to big events like that. I do miss the firefighters when fires happened. It is almost like the Sims couldn't care less about their surroundings whether someone cheats or if they burn or any other big event. There is a problem that not enough big events like fires happen and I'm starting to think the reason why is because the broadcaster are still broken so easier to hide those big events than show the effects of them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    This kinda of stuff is what ultimately killed off by legacy playthrough. I was already annoyed that the heirs didn't recognize their great-grandparents as family (and being stuck on the same lot lol), but the lack of reactions and interaction. Having kids was like having smaller roommates, the family just didn't feel connected no matter how hard I tried.

One of my Sims caught on fire while DJing, and his roommate had just returned from exploring space so she just stood there and watched him burn...grinning all the way. I got him extinguished, but during the whole process she showed no reaction, and the only interaction available that alluded to it was "ask what happened", even though she stood there and watched ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    fire is common if you put too much fuel in a campfire or use the incense stick.. Anyway it's just a tense mood you get from a fire in the house, the same tense mood you get from work, with the same interactions.
  • Options
    Piperbird wrote: »

That was the second fire I have ever had in TS4. The first was when the game came out and I tried to cook with a low skill. It's not that common.

It was a joke... but I have fires all the time. Maybe I cook with low skill sims more (shrug) but it happens a lot in my game.
  • Options

It was a joke... but I have fires all the time. Maybe I cook with low skill sims more (shrug) but it happens a lot in my game.

Oh, sorry! It can be tough to tell in writing! ^_^

I was just bummed, because I personally felt concern for the Sim child. I wanted to rush and give him a hug, to tell him everything was OK. But I was so disappointed to find there were no interactions like this, and that the child didn't even seem to care. It was a feeling so strong it was almost disorientating. I think maybe special interactions should become available in large situations like these.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    TS4 has been streamlined from prior installments, so a lot of what we might think of as normal human reactions just aren't there anymore. I deal with it by accepting that Sims aren't humans, and they react to things in ways we would not expect. For me, as I've learned more about how the game was designed, it's become a matter of playing the game as it is, rather than wishing it was more like TS2.
    And TS3, but it's not about "wishing it was more like the predecessors", I wish people would stop making such simplifications just to defend flaws in this game. It's about wishing it would be more like a real life simulation.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    And TS3, but it's not about "wishing it was more like the predecessors", I wish people would stop making such simplifications just to defend flaws in this game. It's about wishing it would be more like a real life simulation.
    I just wish for the game mechanics to work better. For how the Sims 4 was marketed with smart Sims and emotional beings, the game mechanics aren't really living up to the so-called strength that the game was marketed for. The gameplay fails in a lot of ways. It is like the Sims 4 was poorly marketed so of course the actually game didn't live up to the hype the game trailers set even.

This is actually a very misleading trailer after actually playing the game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xZn8XUUat8&ab_channel=TheSims

There isn't reactions or lasting effects from those reactions in the game. :( I can't always get my reactions to work like what is portrayed in the trailer. It's heart breaking.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ChazLee86ChazLee86 Posts: 296 Member
    When my sim's DJ booth caught fire they all got a tense moodlet for a few hours including my child sim...clearly from the fire as it has a little fire symbol. I just checked my screenshots and unfortunately I didn't take one at the time. I know you get a comfort option when kids are sad not sure if it comes up when they are tense?
    http://sims4100babies.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! Enjoy as the drama unravels...
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    My sims were tense yes, but they get tense from nearly everything - too much work, caught on fire, low fun, saw a ghost, uncreative, bad music, etc. This is also a reason why more emotions are needed. If I had just been on fire I'd be more terrified than just feeling tense.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    ChazLee86 wrote: »
    When my sim's DJ booth caught fire they all got a tense moodlet for a few hours including my child sim...clearly from the fire as it has a little fire symbol. I just checked my screenshots and unfortunately I didn't take one at the time. I know you get a comfort option when kids are sad not sure if it comes up when they are tense?

I'm not sure. I don't believe the child got the tense moodlet - I know mom did. Maybe because I sent the child out to the front yard so quickly? He went right back to playing in his room.

There are SO many cute little details in this game - I was delighted to see the child making pictures at the table and using macaroni. But it just seems like the designers just kept getting ALMOST to where this game would have been wonderful, but always quit just short.
  • Options
    I really wish there was a fear emotion. Not sure if it would help with the fire reactions, but it would be nice to get more depth with the emotions and I think there is a gap without the fear one.
  • Options
    A fear emotion would be nice. Fear at the time of the fire, maybe tense for a few days afterword while using whatever caught fire. I know if I had a kitchen fire, I might be making sandwiches for a while, until I am brave enough for a pan again.
  • Options
    ChazLee86ChazLee86 Posts: 296 Member
    ChazLee86 wrote: »

I'm not sure. I don't believe the child got the tense moodlet - I know mom did. Maybe because I sent the child out to the front yard so quickly? He went right back to playing in his room.

There are SO many cute little details in this game - I was delighted to see the child making pictures at the table and using macaroni. But it just seems like the designers just kept getting ALMOST to where this game would have been wonderful, but always quit just short.

Maybe you did get the child to safety before the game registered what they had seen? I do agree with your points tho...the game has a long way to go. I too love the drawings they do...I saw one the other day that I had never seen before and all my sim kids have a drawing table! As a side note did you know that kids build their creative skill by taking pictures too?
    http://sims4100babies.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! Enjoy as the drama unravels...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    A fear emotion would be nice. Fear at the time of the fire, maybe tense for a few days afterword while using whatever caught fire. I know if I had a kitchen fire, I might be making sandwiches for a while, until I am brave enough for a pan again.

You're right about the game needing further development and this statement is a good example. I'd forgotten for a bit but in either 2 or 3 or both there was a lingering reaction to say the kitchen catching on fire and my sims wouldn't cook for a while and if I tried to get them to they'd pop up a little thought bubble of fire! The same was true like if they electrocuted themselves fixing the computer (I know this is in 3) and then refused to use the computer for a while afterward. There's just not a real good "memory" system in this game and the recent relationship culling has only made that worse. I'm really afraid it won't get much better... I don't think the game engine can manage for whatever reason.
  • Options
    ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    > @Piperbird said:
    > I don't want this to be just another complainy post, but I just keep running into disappointment. This happened to me a few weeks ago, but it just keeps bothering me, so I thought I would share it.
    >
    > I don't usually play families, not in any of the Sims games. It just isn't really my style. But recently I did a legacy challenge, and had kids in the game really for the first time. (I had one back when the game came out, to see how pregnancy and all that worked, but got bored of that save rather quickly.)
    >
    > Anyway, the kid was playing with a chemistry table when a fire started. I immediately paused the game, sent the kid to stand in the front yard, and set Mom to putting out the fire. When the fire was out, I sent her out to console the kid. After all, a fire in your bedroom would be pretty traumatic! He didn't care. There was no 'give reassuring hug', or 'express concern' from the mother to child. There was no 'ask for comfort' from the child. When the father came home, no one rushed to tell him all about the days excitement. The child didn't tell any of the other kids in the neighborhood.
    >
    > Think how you would have reacted, IRL, if you were the mother or child. You would talk about it. But something as exciting, unusual, and potentially dangerous happened in the game, and not one Sim reacted in any way to it. The kid had no fear or nervousness to use the table again, Mom didn't need a glass of wine in the tub to come down from the stress and adrenaline from saving her only son from a house fire. Just....nothing.
    >
    > I've had Sims die around them without caring, and I've heard other talk about their Sims catching spouses cheating and not caring, and it almost feels like the people that designed these interactions have no idea how real people would act in these situations.
    >
    > I just try so hard to enjoy this game, to experience what some people just keep raving about for some reason. But all I get is endless disappointment every time.
    >
    > Anyone else have a story like this?
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Options
    > @Piperbird said:
    > I don't want this to be just another complainy post, but I just keep running into disappointment. This happened to me a few weeks ago, but it just keeps bothering me, so I thought I would share it.
    >
    > I don't usually play families, not in any of the Sims games. It just isn't really my style. But recently I did a legacy challenge, and had kids in the game really for the first time. (I had one back when the game came out, to see how pregnancy and all that worked, but got bored of that save rather quickly.)
    >
    > Anyway, the kid was playing with a chemistry table when a fire started. I immediately paused the game, sent the kid to stand in the front yard, and set Mom to putting out the fire. When the fire was out, I sent her out to console the kid. After all, a fire in your bedroom would be pretty traumatic! He didn't care. There was no 'give reassuring hug', or 'express concern' from the mother to child. There was no 'ask for comfort' from the child. When the father came home, no one rushed to tell him all about the days excitement. The child didn't tell any of the other kids in the neighborhood.
    >
    > Think how you would have reacted, IRL, if you were the mother or child. You would talk about it. But something as exciting, unusual, and potentially dangerous happened in the game, and not one Sim reacted in any way to it. The kid had no fear or nervousness to use the table again, Mom didn't need a glass of wine in the tub to come down from the stress and adrenaline from saving her only son from a house fire. Just....nothing.
    >
    > I've had Sims die around them without caring, and I've heard other talk about their Sims catching spouses cheating and not caring, and it almost feels like the people that designed these interactions have no idea how real people would act in these situations.
    >
    > I just try so hard to enjoy this game, to experience what some people just keep raving about for some reason. But all I get is endless disappointment every time.
    >
    > Anyone else have a story like this?
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Options
    @Piperbird I feel you, I hate that the sims can react to sims dating other sims, because that's the part of the game i like where any sim can get together in or out of a a relationship....so maybe improving on such things can make the game worse...How you feel now the child don't level up his skills now because the fire scared him from wanting to work on his skills....I would like to see sims stick together more, like when i order a drink at least the other sims can sit that and chill with me...
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    This would have been a good topic to add to the Why The TS4 is So Lacking thread. It covers what people are saying in that thread, too about this and so many other things.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/802343/sims-4-is-lacking/p3
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    This would have been a good topic to add to the Why The TS4 is So Lacking thread. It covers what people are saying in that thread, too about this and so many other things.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/802343/sims-4-is-lacking/p3

I know, but I didn't really want it to turn into a comparison thread. For me, TS3 will always be better. Others hated TS3 and like TS2 better. I just think this game, on it's own, it just falls short of good. Every time I almost get into it, something like this happens and it just kills it for me. Sucks the fun right out of it.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yeah, Me, Too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited April 2016
    It is surprising how nonreactive they are, considering the game was supposedly built around emotions. It is a bit off. Even in the Sims 1, they jumped around and carried on like crazy in a fire. Sometimes they were even hard for you to control. If you got them out of the fire, they would still be traumatized and would sometimes run back in and meet up with Grimm. We need fear reactions in the game, as well as reactions to console these sims.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    It's annoying that sims are happy all of the time.
    Someone caught on fire? Cool! Ima make s'mores!
    The father died? Not a big deal!
    A love interest started dating someone else? Who cares?
    A child is getting all F's? It doesn't matter, cause the parents are not involved in the child's life whatsoever!

PS: We should not let this discussion get lost. Mb EA will finally notice and do something about the sims emotions to make them more human like and less sociopath-like.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.