Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is cloning Sims with the cloning machine (scientist career) glitched?

I've recently experimented with this, and gotten some odd results. I seem to be able to clone my own Sim and other Sims in my active household, but when I try to clone any Sim from outside the active household, it appears to fail, after a fashion.

To explain further (the 'after a fashion' part): I know that, yes, it's -supposed- to fail sometimes. At those times, I see a red 'crackling energies' effect which, as far as I can tell, heralds a failure. But at other times, there's a green 'cascade of energy' effect that I believe is supposed to indicate success. But when I do this using a Sim from my active household, I have gotten a clone -- the 'red/failed' ones are the 'evil twin' variety with Evil/Mean/Insane instead of the original traits. When trying to clone a Sim outside of my active household, no clone Sim is ever generated. I just get either the green effect or the red effect and then nothing. The 'subject' Sim steps off the pad, then kind of flickers -- I believe it's being reset (arms seem to flick up to the 'neutral pose' for a brief moment).

Some things I have checked, just so you know: I have only 2 Sims in my household -- plenty of room before I hit the 8 Sim cap. I've tried this with both 'Played' (but inactive -- IE not from the current/active household) Sims and with 'Unplayed' (NPC townies) Sims. Seems to fail either way. I made multiple attempts at it with a Level 10 Scientist (if it matters -- it seems even non-scientists can operate the machine once built), seem to get the 'red effect' about one-third of the time, the green effect about two-thirds of the time, roughly. I tried this both with my mods and with all mods disabled via the menu option -- the same thing happened either way.
Pay for product -- not potential!

Comments