Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simguru Romeo Interview

Comments

• Options
    Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    Whoa! I lived to see FIVE simgurus posting on the same thread in one day (correct me if any more wild gurus appeared in latter pages. I only got through page 10). I'm honoured. I feel like I've just witnessed a historical event.

@SimGuruRomeo is so cute and he seems to be so fun! @SimGuruNinja, welcome to the forums! @SimGuruDrake, you are legendary and I want to know what color is your hair now! @SimGuruSteve and @SimGuruMegs, I barely know you (I barely know many of the gurus actually) and I hope to see you both more frequently. This applies to all the gurus! You all bring some fresh air to this forums.

Now goes my question... what should I do to become a SimGuru? :D this seems to be one of the best jobs in the world!
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • Options
    Petarce123Petarce123 Posts: 493 Member
    @SimGuruDrake what is your hair color now?
    :smiley:
    I want Seasons and Island Paradise for The Sims 4!

• Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    @SimGuruNinja I honestly imagined @SimGuruSteve putting out an incomplete toy and everyone smashing it up more with tiny hammers along with sprinkling remains of fun things in the rubble of what used to be said toy, then @SimGuruSteve sweeping the mess to a pile and tries to recreate the toy again with the random added parts with your explanation LOL
    Is that what he does?

Maybe I'll just stick to my understanding of, "he do a thing and it make game go," which probably applies to everyone on the team :joy:
  • Options
    SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Petarce123 wrote: »

I was wondering that :) I wonder if it is either black, brown or blue now?

Also though it's great seeing so many Gurus posting here, I do have one question. Where is @SimGuruBChick ? It's so sad that she isn't posting anymore. She used to be one of my favourite Gurus and was posting with me and everyone every day! It would be great to see her return too :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    Sennie wrote: »

Also though it's great seeing so many Gurus posting here, I do have one question. Where is @SimGuruBChick ? It's so sad that she isn't posting anymore. She used to be one of my favourite Gurus and was posting with me and everyone every day! It would be great to see her return too :)

Matthew.

I imagine her hair red or brown. :)

• Options

Matthew.

I imagine her hair red or brown. :)

My cousin has red hair :) When I first started playing The Sims 3 I always gave my female Sims red hair :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    I imagine Drake with pink or blue hair. Maybe pastel shades.
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • Options
    Emmy_Sims wrote: »
    Whoa! I lived to see FIVE simgurus posting on the same thread in one day (correct me if any more wild gurus appeared in latter pages. I only got through page 10). I'm honoured. I feel like I've just witnessed a historical event.

@SimGuruRomeo is so cute and he seems to be so fun! @SimGuruNinja, welcome to the forums! @SimGuruDrake, you are legendary and I want to know what color is your hair now! @SimGuruSteve and @SimGuruMegs, I barely know you (I barely know many of the gurus actually) and I hope to see you both more frequently. This applies to all the gurus! You all bring some fresh air to this forums.

Now goes my question... what should I do to become a SimGuru? :D this seems to be one of the best jobs in the world!

Aww thank you!

tumblr_loghcoWAUm1qluebuo1_500.gif

As for my hair color it is what I like to call "blue steel" and what some in the fashion world call "denim". Here is an idea of what the color looks like (this is not a photo of me!):

landscape-1454686945-denim-hair-lead.jpg

@SimGuruDrake your hair colour is very beautiful :) I've never seen that sort of blue before, but it looks awesome!

Matthew.
  • Options

Aww thank you!

As for my hair color it is what I like to call "blue steel" and what some in the fashion world call "denim". Here is an idea of what the color looks like (this is not a photo of me!):

This hair looks AweSim!!! :smiley:

• Options
    Hello everyone!! :)

Just popping by to give you all some chocolate cake...YUM :p

Chocolate-Cake-For-Two-0898.jpg

Matthew.
  • Options
    SimGuruSteveSimGuruSteve Posts: 125 SimGuru

Aww thank you!

@SimGuruDrake your hair colour is very beautiful :) I've never seen that sort of blue before, but it looks awesome!

Matthew.

Nice! Now I won't be surprised when I see that hair color bobbing around behind a cubicle wall.

Ah, forget it. You got me. I don't know what he does either! :disappointed:

So basically nobody knows what @SimGuruSteve really does at EA all day?

It's all about confidence and convincing other people you're important! Seriously though, I'd bet half our own team isn't sure exactly what I do - but as long as they know what to contact us for, that's what matters!

Man, I tried to think of some analogy all morning. The best I could come up with is if you're working at a tshirt company. Yeah... I think that might make sense. Maybe. I'll come back and explain sometime.

But first, I gotta do some work this morning! I have to get this license server to run consistently on our second build coordinator so we can migrate the data and hopefully recover space during the MySQL database import. We're thinking it'll make the coordinator faster, but it'll also give us a backup to work on. This way we can wipe and spin back up the FIRST coordinator, migrate data BACK to it, then try some risky optimizations on it without completely bringing down our team's entire development pipeline.

No joke, that's exactly what I'm doing and not just throwing together a bunch of buzzwords.
    hl.gif
    (And the real irony is that it IS a unix linux system I'm working on and until a month ago I really DIDN'T know this.)
  • Options

Aww thank you!

Matthew.

Nice! Now I won't be surprised when I see that hair color bobbing around behind a cubicle wall.

It's all about confidence and convincing other people you're important! Seriously though, I'd bet half our own team isn't sure exactly what I do - but as long as they know what to contact us for, that's what matters!

Man, I tried to think of some analogy all morning. The best I could come up with is if you're working at a tshirt company. Yeah... I think that might make sense. Maybe. I'll come back and explain sometime.

But first, I gotta do some work this morning! I have to get this license server to run consistently on our second build coordinator so we can migrate the data and hopefully recover space during the MySQL database import. We're thinking it'll make the coordinator faster, but it'll also give us a backup to work on. This way we can wipe and spin back up the FIRST coordinator, migrate data BACK to it, then try some risky optimizations on it without completely bringing down our team's entire development pipeline.

No joke, that's exactly what I'm doing and not just throwing together a bunch of buzzwords.
    hl.gif
    (And the real irony is that it IS a unix linux system I'm working on and until a month ago I really DIDN'T know this.)

I...have no idea what you're talking about! Sorry :blush: Your job sounds really exciting and super cool but I still don't know what exactly you do, I guess I'm with the other half of your team that don't know what you do :)

By the way, serious question @SimGuruSteve do you actually play The Sims when your supposed to be working? Or are you a hardcore worker and just get the job done? :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Aww thank you!

Matthew.

hl.gif

I was gonna say this sounds like something a sys admin would do (in my very limited understanding). I'm training this summer for Linux sys admin, starting with network basics right now. It's been very interesting but serious information overload. :D
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member

Aww thank you!

Matthew.

hl.gif

i'm so confused
    the-rock-is-confused-o.gif

but it sounds like a lot of coding to do. which is hard to do, well for me when i took a computer class in school
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited March 2016
    *steals some chocolate cake*

SimGuruSteve's job sounds complicated.

That hair colour is cool, SimGuruDrake.
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    So @SimGuruSteve you make sure the servers at work have space on them and that the networks run smoothly? I honestly only really know about MySQL and even that is very limited and probably outdated by now. That and it was on a Windows system. I have no clue about how Linux even works. Can you even play Sims on Linux?

Also question for any of the SimGurus. A handful of us participate in picture threads such as "Fav Screenshots" and "Happy Play". Always wondered if you guys ever skim those. Just random curiosity.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Aww thank you!

Matthew.

hl.gif

Is your distro RHEL? Or is it some obscure distro? I can't imagine not recognising Linux, did you think it was Unix? Now I'm super curious... would love to see your environment :flushed:

Why can't you just use virtualization and clone images to play around with optimisation?
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I agree. Before, Gurus just seemed so one-dimensional, so it's good to see their other sides.
    Agreed - that's one of the reasons I became a Guru. I don't actually do much with the game content, so I can't answer a lot of game questions - but I do like hanging around posting pictures and coercing some of the other Gurus into the spotlight sometimes. If you follow some of my twitter posts I don't actually talk about the game, but I do like to show off our events and the random daily stuff around the floor.
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    And with this blog and thread I feel like I know you and @SimGuruSteve a little better now! Perhaps even besties?

giphy.gif

Yeah sure!
    giphy.gif

Fun fact: @SimGuruRusskii fist bumped me like that and I had no idea what was going on because I hadn't actually watched Big Hero 6 until months after it was out.

"Buhduhduhduhdulump" I love Baymax. :D

@SimGuruSteve You mentioned you were more involved in the end product? What exactly do you do?

4b373fc3045308fca68b79316756e63535923bc3d756619a7a15ef5ba8dbec81.jpg

"Exactly"? Probably goes into way more detail than you'd ever want, but the gist of it is this.

Imagine that Art makes models and rigs and animations
    Imagine that engineers (programmers) write code
    And in a small aspect, the producers also edit tuning values, tag items, etc (everyone does more than that, but for these purposes let's leave it there)

Well I'm part of a 4 person team called "Configuration Management" (CM) or "Build engineering." We basically do everything after the code and raw assets.
    • We provide a space for storing the raw code/assets ("version control")
    • We provide the dev team with the tools/programs/environment to create/modify/write the assets/source code, etc
    • We use a large pool of machines that build the assets, compile the code, and put everything together. ("build engineering")
    • We built the systems that flag and alert people of failures when building said code/assets
    • We deal with how both our internal dev team and external QA access that build

I've mentioned before we kinda put the gift wrap around the game, as in a way we work on how to transport that game to you guys with a pretty bow.

Hopefully that's a non-technical way of describing at least some of what I do. Make sense?

Just catching up with this thread... soooo...yeah...what did you say you did again? *scratches head* :/
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited March 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I agree. Before, Gurus just seemed so one-dimensional, so it's good to see their other sides.
    Agreed - that's one of the reasons I became a Guru. I don't actually do much with the game content, so I can't answer a lot of game questions - but I do like hanging around posting pictures and coercing some of the other Gurus into the spotlight sometimes. If you follow some of my twitter posts I don't actually talk about the game, but I do like to show off our events and the random daily stuff around the floor.
    And with this blog and thread I feel like I know you and @SimGuruSteve a little better now! Perhaps even besties?

giphy.gif

Yeah sure!
    giphy.gif

Fun fact: @SimGuruRusskii fist bumped me like that and I had no idea what was going on because I hadn't actually watched Big Hero 6 until months after it was out.

@SimGuruSteve You mentioned you were more involved in the end product? What exactly do you do?

"Exactly"? Probably goes into way more detail than you'd ever want, but the gist of it is this.

And in a small aspect, the producers also edit tuning values, tag items, etc (everyone does more than that, but for these purposes let's leave it there)

Well I'm part of a 4 person team called "Configuration Management" (CM) or "Build engineering." We basically do everything after the code and raw assets.
    • We provide the dev team with the tools/programs/environment to create/modify/write the assets/source code, etc
    • We use a large pool of machines that build the assets, compile the code, and put everything together. ("build engineering")
    • We built the systems that flag and alert people of failures when building said code/assets

I've mentioned before we kinda put the gift wrap around the game, as in a way we work on how to transport that game to you guys with a pretty bow.

Hopefully that's a non-technical way of describing at least some of what I do. Make sense?

Just catching up with this thread... soooo...yeah...what did you say you did again? *scratches head* :/
    Yeah! So what is that you do as a SimGuru /Tech guy again? :/

• Options
    sunman502 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Yeah sure!
    giphy.gif

Lol ikr, right up until this moment I had considered myself fairly intelligent! :joy:

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited March 2016

giphy.gif

Yeah sure!
    giphy.gif

Lol ikr, right up until this moment I had considered myself fairly intelligent! :joy:
    Oh don't worry about it. I was actually helping CLP out of jam that he unknowingly walked right into. CLP just used a word that's a racial slur use to describe people of African American descent where I live. And I had informed of that. So he's currently correcting that. o:)

• Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    edited March 2016

giphy.gif

Yeah sure!
    giphy.gif

Oh don't worry about it. I was actually helping CLP out of jam that he unknowingly walked right into. CLP just used a word that's a racial slur use to describe people of African American descent where I live. And I had informed of that. So he's currently correcting that. o:)

some of us didn't know 🐸🐸🐸🐸 was a racial slur. im just repeating it as the example. we use that for raccoon
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    huh? I'm sorry I seemed to have mistaken your post. I was talking about what simguruSteve does for a job. *confused* @sunman502