Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Base Game Worlds Still Need Major Improvement

Comments

• Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2016
    So I've been puttering away basically since 4 came out about what my dream sims game would be, kind of a sims 5 proposal kinda deal. Anyway I tossed together this 'world map'. I daydreamed about what layout I'd LIKE, while trying to keep it to the realm of possibility. These are the things I do instead of playing the sims. Yes I know I'm I gigantic nerd, but the sims used to fill this creative void that I no longer really know what to do with. Sooo yea I'm designing Sims 5 in my mind, lol.
    In ts5, the term ‘world’ refers to the overall map which contains all your towns. There will be three world maps released with the base game, and more will follow. You may play one world per save slot. Each world map offers several locations for you to build your towns, but varies in size and layout.

All towns within a world will progress simultaneously just as they did in Sims 4, (unless specified in game options by selecting auto age: active town only, and story progression: active town only).

In world view you will also be able to see what sort of transport options are available in your towns. Make sure towns have access to the same type of transport if you want sims to move back and forth between them!

Once you’ve decided where on the world map you would like your town to be located, select the ‘add new town’ plus mark. This will bring up a map selector, where you can choose from a variety of premade towns, or choose custom’ to create your own. When creating your own town you will be given an assortment of geographical options, as well your choice of ‘boreal’, ‘desert’ or ‘tropical’ themes.

kYUpVbL.png
    (Note: I just used our world map because it was a clip art available via google, but I think Maxis could make their own 'Sim Nation' and other interesting locales to use in place of the real world. Sixam maybe too?)

Sims 5 finds a happy balance between open and closed world, with the addition of districts. A town in the sims 5 is made up of several open districts, each containing 1-12 lots, and their surrounding public areas. Visit anywhere within walking distance with no load screen, or take public transit to a nearby district or town!

Add, remove, or move districts within your town like puzzle pieces. Each district has multiple snap points so that you can connect the pieces together via roads! You can create your own custom districts using the District Editor which will be released shortly after launch. Share and download custom districts from the gallery in-game, with the click of a button!

edited for grammar - I'm still half asleep lol
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    So I've been puttering away basically since 4 came out about what my dream sims game would be, kind of a sims 5 proposal kinda deal. Anyway I tossed together this 'world map'. I daydreamed about what layout I'd LIKE, while trying to keep it to the realm of possibility. These are the things I do instead of playing the sims. Yes I know I'm I gigantic nerd, but the sims used to fill this creative void that I no longer really know what to do with. Sooo yea I'm designing Sims 5 in my mind, lol.
    In ts5, the term ‘world’ refers to the overall map which contains all your towns. There will be three world maps released with the base game, and more will follow. You may play one world per save slot. Each world map offers several locations for you to build your towns, but varies in size and layout.

All towns within a world will progress simultaneously just as they did in Sims 4, (unless specified in game options by selecting auto age: active town only, and story progression: active town only).

In world view you will also be able to see what sort of transport options are available in your towns. Make sure towns have access to the same type of transport if you want sims to move back and forth between them!

Once you’ve decided where on the world map you would like your town to be located, select the ‘add new town’ plus mark. This will bring up a map selector, where you can choose from a variety of premade towns, or choose custom’ to create your own. When creating your own town you will be given an assortment of geographical options, as well your choice of ‘boreal’, ‘desert’ or ‘tropical’ themes.

kYUpVbL.png
    (Note: I just used our world map because it was a clip art available via google, but I think Maxis could make their own 'Sim Nation' and other interesting locales to use in place of the real world. Sixam maybe too?)

Sims 5 finds a happy balance between open and closed world, with the addition of districts. A town in the sims 5 is made up of several open districts, each containing 1-12 lots, and their surrounding public areas. Visit anywhere within walking distance with no load screen, or take public transit to a nearby district or town!

Add, remove, or move districts within your town like puzzle pieces. Each district has multiple snap points so that you can connect the pieces together via roads! You can create your own custom districts using the District Editor which will be released shortly after launch. Share and download custom districts from the gallery in-game, with the click of a button!

edited for grammar - I'm still half asleep lol

This would be awesome, really.
    Being able to create themes for places would be nice.
  • Options
    SnuggieQueenSnuggieQueen Posts: 231 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Next, Oasis Springs is neglected. I think the reason why Oasis Springs is neglected not only by the developers, but the players too, is because it's not that interesting. Backdrops of Oasis Springs as well as concept art suggests it was meant to be a retro-futuristic setting, taking styles from the 50s and putting them in our time, sort of similar to the Jetsons, yet it seems like that design was lost during its development. Oasis Springs should be redesigned as retro-futuristic, it should be larger, and it should contain new INTERESTING premade families, just as a redesigned Willow Creek.

I love the way Oasis Springs looks now, but I do think they need to expand it like they did with the other worlds resembling Willow Creek. It'd be nice if they added a downtown area similar to Las Vegas, a section influenced by the old west, and an area where super futuristic/modern homes don't look out of place. I made a thread a while back about wanting them to focus on OS the same way they focuses on WC, but it's been dead for a while. OS is the best desert world I've ever seen in a sims game. It's a shame they've abandoned it.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's such a shame they couldn't figure out how to add new sections to the existing worlds. That shows me all that talk about the engine being so strong and amazing is a bunch of hogwash. They're making do with the weak framework they made for Olympus and we're paying the price. I hate the world organization, I hate neighbourhoods floating in the ether, I hate the total lack of spacial context. Just like the loading screens and uneditable worlds, the current layout doesn't suit me at all, and doesn't appear to be fixable. Fail.

Eta: I'm having flash backs to simcity 2014 - can't believe they made the same mistake TWICE!

Ikr, Like we have such a strong foundation to make all your dreams come true. When in reality we can't bulldoze lots and replace with a different size. We can't even get the darn Sims to stop multitasking long enough to be on a date, go out with friend and do things together, or sit together, or in a club they can't even sit together or do things at the same time. We can't even get terrain tools (where is the strong foundation for terrain sculpting?) haven't gotten toddlers (yeah it's so strong it wiped out toddlers due to multitasking problems) can't get open hoods from house to house (like the tiny districts of only two houses) :s Can't do much of anything really but make Sims collect (and even that is so passé) can't carry babies down stairs....can't even place a trash can where they forgot one in a public space. Strong foundation? Not hardly
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @Cinebar absolutely agree. That line just doesn't hold water for me. It seems that time and again we hit this brick wall where this engine can't support one thing or another be it terrain editing, or even adding in seemingly simple animations. I'm very disappointed they went to all this trouble to make new animations for everything, but the framework for adding new animations is even harder than with previous games! And don't get me started on the culling. The way I see it this engine is simplified, and they should just lead with that. Tell fans yes this engine is more streamlined and that will make it hard to add some things, but easier to add others, and will provide a smoother more stable experience. That's how I would spin it, instead of saying silly things that are observably untrue like "the engine is capable of fulfilling all your dreams"... Wildly misleading statement if you ask me.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Even if we could edit lots, I don't see how that'd work well without being able to expand the terrain/land ourselves. I'd love to replace several of the 30x20 lots with larger ones, but they'd crush the surface and make it look damaged.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's such a shame they couldn't figure out how to add new sections to the existing worlds. That shows me all that talk about the engine being so strong and amazing is a bunch of hogwash. They're making do with the weak framework they made for Olympus and we're paying the price. I hate the world organization, I hate neighbourhoods floating in the ether, I hate the total lack of spacial context. Just like the loading screens and uneditable worlds, the current layout doesn't suit me at all, and doesn't appear to be fixable. Fail.

Eta: I'm having flash backs to simcity 2014 - can't believe they made the same mistake TWICE!

Ikr, Like we have such a strong foundation to make all your dreams come true. When in reality we can't bulldoze lots and replace with a different size. We can't even get the darn Sims to stop multitasking long enough to be on a date, go out with friend and do things together, or sit together, or in a club they can't even sit together or do things at the same time. We can't even get terrain tools (where is the strong foundation for terrain sculpting?) haven't gotten toddlers (yeah it's so strong it wiped out toddlers due to multitasking problems) can't get open hoods from house to house (like the tiny districts of only two houses) :s Can't do much of anything really but make Sims collect (and even that is so passé) can't carry babies down stairs....can't even place a trash can where they forgot one in a public space. Strong foundation? Not hardly
    @Cinebar absolutely agree. That line just doesn't hold water for me. It seems that time and again we hit this brick wall where this engine can't support one thing or another be it terrain editing, or even adding in seemingly simple animations. I'm very disappointed they went to all this trouble to make new animations for everything, but the framework for adding new animations is even harder than with previous games! And don't get me started on the culling. The way I see it this engine is simplified, and they should just lead with that. Tell fans yes this engine is more streamlined and that will make it hard to add some things, but easier to add others, and will provide a smoother more stable experience. That's how I would spin it, instead of saying silly things that are observably untrue like "the engine is capable of fulfilling all your dreams"... Wildly misleading statement if you ask me.

It's a game engine that was originally designed for an online game. All of the restrictions they're dealing with? These would have existed in an online game. So, it makes perfect sense they can't do that.
  • Options

It's a game engine that was originally designed for an online game. All of the restrictions they're dealing with? These would have existed in an online game. So, it makes perfect sense they can't do that.

I'm not saying it doesn't make perfect sense but Ryan said they had the engine to make all our dreams come true. Which at the time included toddlers, cars, and world tools and color wheel. Go figure.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member

I'm not saying it doesn't make perfect sense but Ryan said they had the engine to make all our dreams come true. Which at the time included toddlers, cars, and world tools and color wheel. Go figure.

Here's what doesn't make sense. If they knew the engine was insufficient, why didn't they use a different engine?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options

Quite right, it makes sense! What doesn't make sense to me is that they've been trying to market this engine as something it's not. If someone is trying to sell me a car I don't want them to claim that it's a jet. This engine has its strengths and its weaknesses, but to say that it is strong enough to support everyone's wishes when in fact it can't even support things that ts2-3 could is doing the engine and the fans a huge disservice because it sets us up for disappointment. IMO they have set themselves up for a plum storm of complaints by overselling the games capabilities. Perhaps they legitimately thought the engine was better than it is, since they did originally plan to expand the existing world then later realized they couldn't. Looks like they tricked themselves as much as their fans, lol!

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member

Here's what doesn't make sense. If they knew the engine was insufficient, why didn't they use a different engine?

Time.

Pretty much, a game takes a long time to make. 4 years if you rush it, 5 is standard, generally anything more than 8 that isn't an MMO is vaporware. They'd already spent probably four years on it by that point. Starting over with a new engine would mean another 5 years of development... putting Sims 4 right over the vaporware limit.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Money. They wasted their money developing something unfit for purpose and they were stuck because the money was gone.

Time too. EA thought that sims fans will buy anything-and in some sense that was right. I don't think that's the case any more though. They've upset a lot of people to the point they went too far.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member

IMHO, all sales talk to keep people on track to buying Sims 4, used as a hook and see how many they can catch.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Hi, I'm not sure there's any point to making suggestions anymore. The people who are happy with the game take what we are saying TO THE DEVELOPERS, not other simmers, as personal attacks. At least it seems so to me.

EA has given no indication that they really want to hear from fans, whether it's veteran Simmers, like ourselves, or newbies. I finally feel like our likes, wants, desires and needs fall on deaf ears (or eyes in the case of reading...assuming they do).

I really have given up all hope on any Sims game meeting the expectations that the original game, The Sims 2 and a lot of The Sims 3 has created. I feel like the "remove not improve" mentality permeates this studio. If and when they make a new Sims game, whether they call it 5 or not won't matter, b/c it will be so empty of anything we knew from the first 2 games, that it simply will be a cheap knock off...which to me, ts4 already is.

But good for you Sk8er, good for you that you still hold some hope for a better game. I wish I did.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    When I was a young bab, I remember adoring TS2 for all of the interesting pre-made families. I loved messing with their lives and watching different situations unfold. Unfortunately, TS4 seems to have...gotten rid of that almost entirely. I liked seeing that little scrapbook at the start of opening a town and learning about all of the families and their goals and aspirations and *DRAMA* going on between households!! Now it's just "THE PANCAKE FAMILY...ONE IS BORING AND ONE IS A SNOB!!!!.....c-cool...!???!??!?" We have the Goths, but we've always had the Goths. The interesting story that STARTED brewing with the lore of TS3 seems to be gone completely. Bella's around, Mortimer's around, and their kids are around. And they're rich. Woo. Exciting.

What I miss the most is the proper theming of each town and the pre-made families all having their own unique and interesting stories for me to muddle around with.
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I miss making my own themed towns. I hope they don't use this engine again. I can't help but wonder if they could use the old sims 2 engine. If I am going to have loading screens, I want more control over other things.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    The premade worlds are beautiful but at the same time it gives no freedom to the player's creativity that's why I prefer empty world like Newcrest.

I don't like when my imagination is "scripted by Maxis".

100% agree.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The premade worlds are beautiful but at the same time it gives no freedom to the player's creativity that's why I prefer empty world like Newcrest.

100% agree.

It's quite ironic; the tagline of TS4 is "You Rule", when this is perhaps the most limiting game as far as customization goes.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

100% agree.

It's quite ironic; the tagline of TS4 is "You Rule", when this is perhaps the most limiting game as far as customization goes.

Completely ironic! :expressionless: Pity they didn't think of something else really... like 'Come join the vision, play my way"
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    When I was a young bab, I remember adoring TS2 for all of the interesting pre-made families. I loved messing with their lives and watching different situations unfold. Unfortunately, TS4 seems to have...gotten rid of that almost entirely. I liked seeing that little scrapbook at the start of opening a town and learning about all of the families and their goals and aspirations and *DRAMA* going on between households!! Now it's just "THE PANCAKE FAMILY...ONE IS BORING AND ONE IS A SNOB!!!!.....c-cool...!???!??!?" We have the Goths, but we've always had the Goths. The interesting story that STARTED brewing with the lore of TS3 seems to be gone completely. Bella's around, Mortimer's around, and their kids are around. And they're rich. Woo. Exciting.

What I miss the most is the proper theming of each town and the pre-made families all having their own unique and interesting stories for me to muddle around with.

Those were AWESOME, and the memory system was so fun to read... Like Olive Specter having woohoo with Grim Reaper and birthing Nervous Subject. That gave a sense of "what happens matter" to the game.
    Matter quite a lot in fact, as moving a family from one hood to another would completely corrupt the hoods due to corrupted memories :neutral: But it was awesome anyway.
  • Options
    dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    I do really miss premade families that had their own stories! I wish they had some type of history or memories or something with the premade sims... They need a log or something that keeps track of things like your sims first kiss, when they become bffs with someone, when they find out they're pregnant, etc.
    And has anyone else read the theories about the lives of the Goths? People used to be able to go through their pasts and find stuff out to give the premade characters more depth. The Goths in sims 4 seem stuck in time somehow. They didn't really put in the effort to give them pasts or stories, except for those little descriptions they have for the current state of each of the premade households.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Hermai wrote: »
    mizuru007 wrote: »

Those were AWESOME, and the memory system was so fun to read... Like Olive Specter having woohoo with Grim Reaper and birthing Nervous Subject. That gave a sense of "what happens matter" to the game.
    Matter quite a lot in fact, as moving a family from one hood to another would completely corrupt the hoods due to corrupted memories :neutral: But it was awesome anyway.

Oh yeah, that's a huge thing I forgot; TS2 developers went as far as spending the time to give their premade Sims actual memories of events that aligned with their bio, and you were able to view and read each and every one. They did this for pretty much every premade, and it really made playing premade families feel immersive and real.

It seems that level of creativity and detail has been gone from the series since TS2. Virtually everything in TS4 is as fake as the cardboard cutout scenery of the game, and is only a failed attempt at immersing the player of an alive world.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I like TS4 premades, I didn't plan to play with them at first, because I didn't like the premade that much in TS2, so I thought I would not bother with including them in my rotation in TS4 but I couldn't resist when I saw them around. Almost all of them are part of my rotation now.

I think TS4 premades are diversified : housemates, multigenerational family, couple with trouble, the little secret of the Landgraab family.

I don't see what's so evident about the quality of the premades.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    When they first patched in the refreshed design it was really awesome, but since adding WB the entire thing has a hideous scroll bar. I'm not sure if this is a product of lack of time, or just flat out terrible design, but there is no reason they can't scale down the size of the circles to accommodate every one without a scroll bar.

Mine doesn't have a scroll bar :p

B6diVw1.png
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    When they first patched in the refreshed design it was really awesome, but since adding WB the entire thing has a hideous scroll bar. I'm not sure if this is a product of lack of time, or just flat out terrible design, but there is no reason they can't scale down the size of the circles to accommodate every one without a scroll bar.

Mine doesn't have a scroll bar :p

B6diVw1.png

Hmmm... What size is your display?

I have a 24" widescreen display and my graphics settings are set to the highest setting (don't recall exact numbers) and there is a huge gaudy scroll bar for me leaving Newcrest on a second row.