Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a pack you thought you'd hate, but turned out to like?

KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
For me, that was World Adventures. I've never been big on vacationing with my sims. I suppose because I don't travel much in real life (I hate traveling) and that just spills over into how I play. By the time I got Sims 3, World Adventures had been released several months ago and when I learned it was about vacations, I just shrugged at it. But then, I saw simmers posting pictures of their sims in those worlds on the forum I'd been frequenting at that time and it looked fun, so I changed my mind and decided to give it a try. I managed to get it for almost half off ($25).

I still didn't like it first when I tried it and didn't send my sims travelling again for a long time (though I did love the scenery!). Can't remember when I decided to give it another shot, but I did after reading through a guide and suddenly, I was having a great time. My sim was in China, learning martial arts and finding her way out of tombs. I laughed for a good couple of seconds when she got burned by a fire trap.

It's not my favorite pack (that would be Supernatural), but I am glad I bought it. I've since visited all three worlds at some point and mastered photography, martial arts, and nectar-making at least once. I've yet to max out a visa, but I'm working on that. Some of the quests are hard, but they're fun.
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
Post edited by KayeStar on

Comments

• Options
    venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited February 2016
    For me that was Into the Future. I'm not that real big on sci fi stuff as I tend to play more realistically... but it's turned out to be one of my faves.
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    It was WA for me too. I remember moaning to my family when it was announced, about how we were getting another Bon Voyage type pack, and how I was tired of it and wanted something different, blah blah.... and when I saw the trailers I changed my mind. It wasn't just a holiday world pack, it was a lot more than that, with awesome skills, and exploration.
    Now, it's one of my favourites and I would hate to play my game without it, I just wouldn't enjoy it. Whether it be the skills, the items, or the worlds, I really love them all.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    For me that was Into the Future. I'm not that real big on sci fi stuff as I tend to play more realistically... but it's turned out to be one of my faves.

This one for me as well. I was on the fence about buying it at all, but I LOVE the Build/Buy stuff and just went to the future for the first time a couple of months ago and fell head over heels. I'm fighting the temptation to move my whole family there right now, but I think I'll save it for FUTURE generations.

See what I did there?! ;)
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Supernatural. I hated everything about it and NEVER played with occilts. Until I finally gave in and made myself play the occults. Now, I love having them just as much as my human Sims.
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    When I saw Generations it sounded super bland on paper but when I actually played it it was amazing.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Into the future for me. I avoided buying it for a couple months but caved and LOVED it.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2016
    There's never been a package I thought I'd actually hate, but ITF fits in the category of your topic for me. I was disappointed when they announced it, adding it would be the last as well. Future stuff, meh... Then I was invited by a Sims site to play it at EA Amsterdam (preview) with puddingfaced premades and I was still meh. It didn't feel like 'my game'. ITF surprised me though. With my own sims I set up a storyline which involved the future and with my own sims I enjoyed the features and the settings a lot. Oasis Landing, the plumbot and bot building, Emit Relevart and his time portal and also the furniture and futuristic stuff added something to my game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Into the Future was definitely cooler than I thought it would be. I wasn't super excited when it was announced, but once I got a chance to play it I enjoyed a lot of its features.

Oh, and Plumbots are pure awesome! :grimace:
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Generations ^.^

Honestly when it came out I was like: "Nah...I'm not buying this" it seemed like it didn't had enough content for an EP and it didn't even had a world but in the end it was a rather nice EP. I waited about 3 months until I decided to buy it :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Generations ^.^

Honestly when it came out I was like: "Nah...I'm not buying this" it seemed like it didn't had enough content for an EP and it didn't even had a world but in the end it was a rather nice EP. I waited about 3 months until I decided to buy it :p

Generations was another one that took me by surprise. At first I wasn't even sure what the point of it was, but when I started playing with it I felt a lot more connected to my families and their stories. It seems subtle for sure when you're just going down the list of features, but it makes quite a difference.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I myself did actually criticise WA when it was first announced thinking it wasn't the wise choice for the first EP but after I gave in and brought it, I actually liked it.

As far as an EP goes, it was generous, 3 large worlds to explore and was also giving something different.

My main issue was how tired my Sims would get exploring tombs, and the only time I ever used cheats to restore their energy level, something which I think should have been amended later on I think.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Peach77Peach77 Posts: 313 Member
    Supernatural: I have had vampires and even celebrities turned off and found it really immersion breaking to see pictures of random townies turned into... whatevers, fairies especially. But it was on sale, so I bought it, and there's a pair of pants that make the guys' behinds really cute. Recently I started playing with some werewolves, and that has been totally hilarious.

I'm still actually on the fence about ITF. I only sent a sim to the future once, on a new save that I made just for that purpose, and something screwed up when he was trying to go home. So I'm really iffy about sending any sims that I'm attached to. The build/buy and CAS items aren't really my style either.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    It was Supernatural for me (I still don't have ST or ITF and to keep lag down will probably never get either of them). I was not all that interested in occults, except sometimes vampires and unicorns. I mostly have all occults disabled in my games. I got Supernatural for the town and build/buy items. But I'm trying a werewolf and plan to try witches and fairies and it's been fun. I'm glad I got the EP. I do have zombies turned off via a mod.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I guess for me it would be Supernatural as well. I have only ever played with vampires once, and that was with Sims 1. I made Spike and Angel and had them in a love triangle with Buffy. Of course in the end Spike won and claimed Buffy as his lifetime mate. LOL But I only got Supernatural for some objects and clothes. Still haven't played with the "supernatural" sims, I did try the fairy once, didn't like it. Just isn't my cup of tea. But the game play that it added to my game I enjoy. So I chalk that up to me enjoying the pack. :)
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
    ITF to be honest. I thought it would be a waste of time and money (don't ask me why I bought it anyway). I still haven't spent more than ten minutes in any of the future worlds, but had hours of fun with a mod that lets you give SimBots human bodies.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Origin ID: Eve0053
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Options
    dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    supernatural. I thought I'd hate the zombies but actually don't get many and I like getting them
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I had bad thoughts about University Life, Supernatural and Into The Future before I got them.

In the end I finally got Supernatural because I really wanted the build items. I was really into building at the time.

I eventually got to play with all the supernatural life states and enjoy having them in my games. I do have all occult types turned off in Options though. I don't like it when random townies start becoming some different occult life state. However, a lot of my own Sims that I actually play with are supernaturals and I love having them in my game.

With Into the Future, I got it because by that stage I had all the other EPs and thought I'd get it too. At that point I also had Lunar Lakes and thought it was a waste of space.

After installing Into the Future I found so much was added to my game without any need to ever visit the future and didn't take any sims into the future for months. I was still very happy with the added items and game play that came with ITF and it had become a favourite without me ever using the future worlds.

I finally decided I should go into the future and started a new game in Lunar Lakes. With all the futuristic stuff that came with ITF I suddenly found Lunar Lakes was one of my favourite worlds.

I have only visited the Utopian Future once and that was to get some Dew Flowers for my gondola build. I still have never gone to the Distopian Future world. But I do occasionally take my Sims to the normal future and enjoy the new skills and jobs that are available there. It is definitely one of my favourite Expansion Packs now though. Since I like gardening I found the best new items were the garden mats so I could have my Sims plant indoors without needing a mod. Also decor plants could be placed directly on the floor. And there was a lot of other new items that came with it.

I have only ever sent 1 Sim to University and I didn't leave her there long enough to graduate. But so much else that came with UL has enriched my game - I am very happy I have the Expansion Pack. I love gardening and lots of new plants were added plus various other objects my Sims can use and new skills and plant Sims.

I also wondered what was the point of Generations. I got it anyway but probably not as soon as it came out. It has also added lots of extra fun for me.

I wouldn't consider playing Sims 3 without having all of the Expansions and Stuff packs installed and in play. I had to upgrade my computer to be able to do this and am very happy with the result.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    For me, it was Generations. When it was announced I was severely underwhelmed and thought it was going to be a lightweight EP that wasn't even shipping with a new town.

After installing, however, I immediately had to eat my words as I loved all the content and interactions. I loved it so much that when I had to send my computer back to the manufacturer for repairs several years ago, one of the four EPs I loaded on the rickety old Dell that I use as my back-up was Generations. What can I say, my teens live to pull pranks on the unsuspecting! >:)
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2016
    That's great that you ended up liking WA. It's one of my top favorites and it bums me out when people call it a boring EP.

Supernatural

I don't know why I thought that I wouldn't like it. Two weeks after launch I saw a left over Limited Edition copy sitting on a shelf at Walmart so I took it as a sign to give it a try. Turned out to be the most fun I've had exploring a pack. The world, occults, skills, and build/buy is just awesome. It could've been the zombies that put me off at first.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    There were a few packs that had things I didn't like though I managed to find Mods to fix most of those issues and I also found CC replacements for the ITF food replicators so I don't have to use the default ones if I don't want to.I wouldn't ever play without using the entire collection again unless I just use the game selector to disable some of the packs for a special game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Surprisingly, no. While some packs I was more excited about than others, there were always some features or objects in every EP that I looked forward to adding to my game.
  • Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    While in my quest to 'own the store' I was hesitant about adding Fairie items to my wishlist. Thought the whole fairie thing was silly. Then I bought Supernatural. I adore Fairies! They are so cute and they can shrink to fit into those tiny houses and ride the tiny train track, just so adorable.

I really need to play ITF one day. I get lots of notices that my sim needs to go there to check out?alter some event in the future. I am curious now, but have been putting it off as I have had so many issues with getting my sims home from attending University.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    for me it's rather two features of the base game itself
    gardening & jogging, iRL i am quite bad at both
    but i am probably addicted to accompany my sims while they jog, i find it very relaxing & the view is always breathtaking
    i will have to make a sim immune to cold & let it jog in a snowy landscape - tremendous :smiley:
    & i love gardening in TS3, the first sim in TS3 i played was a gardener already & i had managed several sims to a perfect garden too
    so both features are really surprisingly entertaining to me

the EPs of TS3, i don't know if i really hate any of them
    i don't own all EPs but not because i hate them, i am just overwhelmed with all the options & stuff, especially with all the store additions too

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Into The Future, definitely. It is just so well made and added so many wonderful (albeit unexpected) things to my game that I can't imagine playing without it now :)
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    For me it was Late Night. Living a celebrity life style didn't sound all that fun to me, but then it came with a starter pack that I bought to start playing again.

While the agent stuff can get annoying ( I deactivated after I got a sim to five star celebrity status) , the hair styles, instruments , clothing and such was well worth the $20 I paid.