Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To those wanting Colossal Order to rival Sims

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Why does this thread really need to exist. Colossal/Paradox have already stated that they have no interests in entering the life simulation genre. The only reason we have cities skylines is because they started the game development before Sc13 was announced because of the absence of a major SC title in almost a decade. And when SC13 bombed, they picked back up again. Unless the Sims franchise completely dies or they stop making Sims games, those chances of a life sim from them are second to none. And the Sims has shown no signs of stopping.
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    ...Why do you want this?!!!

I know, it would give EA/Maxis motivation to do better, but Cities: Skylines killed the SimCity franchise, and I'm guessing that if they made a Sims-like game, it would kill the Sims as well.

Are you THAT unhappy with Sims 4 that you'd rather have them rival it and potentially kill the series?

Yes

TNAdYNE.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Why does this thread really need to exist. Colossal/Paradox have already stated that they have no interests in entering the life simulation genre. The only reason we have cities skylines is because they started the game development before Sc13 was announced because of the absence of a major SC title in almost a decade. And when SC13 bombed, they picked back up again. Unless the Sims franchise completely dies or they stop making Sims games, those chances of a life sim from them are second to none. And the Sims has shown no signs of stopping.
    I don't know but yeah I remember them saying that. It is a fridge they'd like to knock over, but not at this time.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2016

I know, it would give EA/Maxis motivation to do better, but Cities: Skylines killed the SimCity franchise, and I'm guessing that if they made a Sims-like game, it would kill the Sims as well.

Are you THAT unhappy with Sims 4 that you'd rather have them rival it and potentially kill the series?

I don't think competition is a bad thing at all because it helps stop the onset of complacency that tends to happen when you get companies with a monopoly-like hold over a single niche idea.

In the end I feel SimCity failed because EA attempted to force a particular gameplay idea onto players who, generally speaking, preferred a different experience. For some reason at the time EA got it into their heads that all of their games had to be online and they were going to do it regardless of whether it was actually beneficial to the game and the player or not. SimCity suffered because of this.

If the originating company has become so complacent that a rival is going to do a better job and create a product that is more in line with what fans believe the product should be then it deserves to do better. Cities Skylines didn't kill SimCity, EA did that all on their own and hopefully they'll learn a thing or two from having that competition, attempt to reboot SimCity on PC again in another few years and return it to what actually made people enjoy the franchise back in its glory days.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    YungGigi wrote: »
    The best basketball players didn't become the best by playing alone on the court. They had competition to strengthen their skills.

The Sims needs competition. It's healthy and a good thing. If a competitive game comes onto the market and The Sims is killed out, then that's Maxis' business and shows they were never really dedicated to success to begin with and they don't care about the fans.

Can't say it much better than this. Competition in the genre would force Maxis to start striving to do better and be more creative instead of stripping each base game to the bare bones then kinda half caring about the EP's that come out just expecting everyone to buy them.
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Colossal Order can't afford the sims. I know a lot of you disagree, but it's sadly true. City simulation is nowhere near as complex as life simulation.

Skylines was made with 14 people.

As much as I'd love a competitor for the Sims, it needs to be a massive publisher that has enough money to make something at least as spectacular.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016
    As long as people enjoy EAs version of the game, nothing will kill it. That's a bit dramatic. There are just some of us who want a different direction than what this game has taken. There is nothing wrong with that and nothing to be afraid of.

The only potential killer of The Sims is EA themselves; not a competitor.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Cesal95Cesal95 Posts: 298 Member
    I've read some comments about Paradox and CO not being capable of releasing a life simulation game, I don't think so. If 13 people where capable enough of making Cities: Skylines (which I completely love) the awesome game that it is, believe me that they can do so much more and they would have a LOT of support, C:S is releasing it's second expansion by now, you can see that the devs are really passionate about the game, and a lot of their fans where the SimCity fans (they even call Cims the citizens) If they release a life simulation game, I'm sure it would be successfull and I hope It would not be too late for The Sims.
    PoroLoL_zpset4qfym5.gif
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    I own Cities Skylines and it's pretty good but I'm also playing SimCity from Origin and it has more depth yes however it has little space :neutral: that issue I hope they fix in the future of Simcity games but as for simulation game I would like to see how the people of Cities of skylines handle it but I doubt that will ever happen since they have a small team beside right now they seem focused on Cities of Skylines
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member

Actually yes. I don't care where the game comes from as long as it's good. Frankly I have little to no faith left in EA sooo... really doesn't bother me any. I'm still very upset that they're so happy with the direction this game is taking even though many people are unhappy, like they don't care or have any desire to try to fix it for everybody else to so everybody can enjoy it. I'd rather the game get passed on to a company that actually cares about the fans... not brushes off people who've been loyally supporting them for 16 years.

Anyway, if it kills the series than that speaks volumes about how bad it really is. If it's still good it won't be able to be brought down just because there's competition. If it's good people will still buy it no matter what.

Kind of how it was with simcity. Simcity 2013 was what did it in. All the issues people had with it. People were furious over that, and were already swearing off Simcity some even swearing off EA. Another company seized the opportunity and it benefited them but they are not the cause of the problems, that's all on EA. If people hadn't been so upset with Simcity 2013 Cities Skylines wouldn't have been as popular, their could have been competition. I mean EA had to get a new president or something after that whole fiasco, that only happens the way it did when there's big problems... it was NOT the fault of anybody else but EA, it was already doomed from the moment Simcity 2013 launched.
  • Options
    TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    Challenge is the best thing for a company, :)

It forces them to grow to survive. Most big companies have gone through hard times. It is how they react that will define and strength them for the better.

For example:
    1. Apple lost the computing battle to windows based hardware companies. This forced them to rethink and from this came their move to accessories iPods/phones/tablets and which brought them to tillion dollar company they are today.

2. Lego was hit really hard in the 1990s (something like 12years of straight losses) but they survived to diversify into robotics, computer games, branded (e.g. Star Wars sets) and even movies. Result they have remained one of the largest international "toy" companies.

3. Everybody thought IBM would not survive the end of the 1990s but they re-structured away from hardware and into software/consulting. They are now the worlds largest IT complaining. :)
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Competition is always good, but I doubt it would kill off The Sims series. I'm sure EA will be fine. I haven't seen competition kill of Madden, NHL, NBA Live, or FIFA yet. Need For Speed seems to be doing well, and they have a new customer in me for that.

Maybe I'll be concerned if the game ever becomes as bad as Tiger Woods Golf after 2007.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    Competition is always good, but I doubt it would kill off The Sims series. I'm sure EA will be fine. I haven't seen competition kill of Madden, NHL, NBA Live, or FIFA yet. Need For Speed seems to be doing well, and they have a new customer in me for that.

Maybe I'll be concerned if the game ever becomes as bad as Tiger Woods Golf after 2007.
    Discovered Need For Speed hu? It's a cool racing game, isn't it? Have you tried running cops of the road yet?

• Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Ravager619 wrote: »

Discovered Need For Speed hu? It's a cool racing game, isn't it? Have you tried running cops of the road yet?

Yes, and it's so much fun! :D
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    edited February 2016
    Yes and no.
    It's more of a case of if there is competition, then EA/Maxis needs to get their game on, and blow the competition out of the water with sims 5.
    If they start planning now, and listen to their fans, they could have the best game ready to go by 2020.

Edited cos the merging of EA Maxis turns to plum... dont' they wanna morph?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Competition is good. When a product has no competition a company often takes its customers for granted. They tend to feel like they can cut corners or let quality slide because, well, there's no other alternative to what they offer. Nowhere else for customers who want that particular product to go.

Someone else getting into the life simulator game could help keep EA/Maxis on their toes. A competitive, lively market is good for consumers. You have more choice and any company who wants to stay in the game has to keep up.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    anonymussanonymuss Posts: 1 New Member
    Big Yes! I hope Colossal Order is working on a Sims game. EA Killed The Sims, The Sims 4 is really really bad and a big step back if you compare it to The Sims 3. If they do they will have my support, I am never going back to Sim City ever again.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2019
    At 2016 I would have been agreed with you but now, 2019 (Hey!) I don't care really. EA destroyed the franchise by themselves. If Colossal Order or any other good company decides to make a rival for The Sims I will be forever thankfull! Lets be honest. I rather prefere seeing The Sims dying right now because I think the future will be even worst. Cities Skylines killed SimCity wich was one of my favourite brands of all time, first I felt sad but now I feel blessed because the real sadness is to see what a company like EA does to big games! Planet Coaster made by Frontier alone without Atari saving RollerCoaster Tycoon its another example! The Sims needs desperatly competition and it can be good or bad but what matters in the end is the existence of a propper good game for todays standards and for me The Sims 4 is just a better version of The Sims 1 and even the first game have things that The Sims 4 did it worst.

And not forget to mention that Colossal Order works with Steam wich is much better than origin! And the fact that it could have the steam workshop... just thinking about that makes the sims 4 gallery look insignificant!
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2016, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top