Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Showtime or ITF?

I feel within reasonable certainty that my game can handle another expansion pack and for months I was thinking ITF would be my choice but I looked into Showtime and I'm feeling really torn now between the two. Granted, it's entirely possible that I may ultimately be able to use both but for now I would prefer to only add one to make sure my poor old computer won't totally buckle under the strain. If you had to choose just one of these expansion packs which one would you choose and why?
Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    As far a clothing, I really love what they have in show time, this including the hairstyles, and I do love the Genie.

Yet on the other hand, the Plumbots are really cool to have, from Into the Future. Depending on which chips you put in them, they can do a wide rage of things. For example, you have a large garden, they can work in the garden all day. There are also special rugs that will allow you to plant anything, anywhere, including on the roof, and indoors, and this would include the fruit trees. In ITF, there is also a complete line a furniture for everything including babies and toddlers (new crib, high chair to name a couple of examples). Personally I would have a hard time picking between the two, but I did tell you what I really like about both. Oh yes about the Plumbots, again with the trait chips, they can fall in love, and get married (just can't reproduce, unless they make one). Oh yes in ITF, if you don't want to deal with pregnancies, you can send two sims to the hospital to make one, and walk out with a baby. With out mods, you have to send them into the future to do this. If you have the NRaas Mods (I forget which one) you can do this from the same town your sim lives in. I know this, because I see this option on my hospitals in my sims home town.

Well I take this back, now thinking about it I think if I had to choose, it would be Into the Future, because I could go on and on about all the things I really like about this pack.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    For me it would be showtime. I love the world that came with it and I feel the careers, venues and objects fit in quite well to normal every day play so get used more often.
    But to be honest I have ITF but I've not had the best experience with it. I've had sims get stuck in the future world and other issues with its gameplay that have prevented me from enjoying it to its best abilities so I may well be very bias ;)
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    some people do experience glitches with the showtime careers and venues.but genies and the lifetime rewards are great addition!I use Into the Future sometime,i'm currently adding the plumbot workshop to the world i am creating.
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I just bought Showtime in Dec so don't have much experience with it. I bought it mainly because so many custom worlds used it. So far I like the dominoes table, and the PlasmaPunch Gyroscopic Conductor. My sims found the genie lamp and wished for a Large Family 3 times (and got 3 sets of quads). I'll probably do one of the careers eventually. I haven't checked out the world that comes with it yet. I put off buying Showtime for a long time because the entertainment industry focus of it didn't really appeal to me. Maybe I'll like it more if I play the world and explore some of the careers that come with it.

I've had ITF longer and like it quite a bit. I use many of the objects in building. Especially the tube elevator with its small footprint to add a floor or a basement. I put the food synthesizer in many of my community lots since it spawns a waiter for restaurant table service. I also use them in dorms, which seems to cut down on fires. Most of my sims get the wind carvers, especially when going to WA destinations. I think those are faster than running at high Advanced Technology levels. I also use plumbots frequently. They can make great controllable butlers. I garden a lot and the soil rugs make basement and greenhouse gardens easy to use.

I also really like the houses that come with Oasis Landing. I've copied several to the bin and have used them in other towns, particularly the houses in the "poor" section of OL. I thought they had some nice layouts and fit well in Moonlight Falls, for example.

If I had to give one up, at this point in time it would be Showtime.

Performance: I understand (through @igazor 's comments) that the career limos from Showtime can be a performance issue. I now use NRaas Traffic and Nona's NoLimo mod (which I think I got from the old simlogical site) to deal with those. Supposedly ITF is a demanding EP (behind Pets and Seasons). I haven't seen much of a performance impact with ITF myself. The only exception was specifically in the utopia version of OL when my sim was collecting insects. There are a lot of insect spawners in utopia; I saw some performance lag when my sims were out collecting. Once I turned off the collection helper and my sims finished collecting insects the performance issues largely stopped.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    I keep trying to give Showtime content and its careers more of a chance, but they never really grew on me. It's the only EP I could have just as well not bothered with, had I known. Only picked it up because it was on sale for some ridiculous price like $5.99 a few years ago. But now I have to keep it in play because, well...dominoes! Okay, okay and genies. And genies playing dominoes. Maybe someday I'll finally bond with the rest of it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Oh goodness, you all aren't making this easy at all, not at all. The problem I'm having is that both have features I'm pretty sure I would love. In ST's favor I love the idea of magic shows and acrobats and genies. On ITF's side I love the thoughts of being able to plant gardens in a basement or elsewhere unconventional without having to use those silly pots that come in SN. Those are fine for a few plants but not for a Sim with limited land and a keen yearning to grow crops. Of course I'm also fond of "space-age" looking decor (I had to get that whole sci-fi set from the store).
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I forgot about the animations that an aspiring magician goes through when they practice tricks that are too often unsuccessful, some of those are really funny. There's probably more to love about the EP than I have found or am thinking of right now, so perhaps my comment was a bit harsh.

Beyond the limo issue that is fixable with mods and some routing problems that tend to affect Starlight Shores when you first begin to play it, I don't think Showtime adds nearly as much overhead to the game as most of the other EPs. You have to have a sense of humor about homeless sims constantly being spawned to perform in parks though, NRaas StoryProgression doesn't do a very good job of preventing those and some players are annoyed by that kind of thing.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    As for me, if I'd have to choose, I'd choose Showtime. The careers are quite lineair (but acrobat and magician really nicely done, with funny as well as amazing animations), but I could never enjoy this game anymore without the genies. That life state definitely hit the mark for me and is a must have now. I must add that even though ITF surprised me in a positive way, the theme itself isn't really my thing, so that influences my opinion of course.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited January 2016
    I bought Showtime when it was released, and haven't regretted a minute! The careers, the town, the clothes... I love dominoes, it changes from chess, and the genie is fun. And I have ITF installed since last week, but haven't really used it - yet. I don't like robots, but the idea of a Utopian/Dystopian future is appealing, so when I have the time I'll explore it further... Good luck in choosing, whichever will certainly be good, as you're hesitating... :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I would have to side with ITF, have both, and to be honest I've even used the ITF careers more than the showtime ones, if I had no showtime the thing I would miss most is probably genies and clothes, if I had no ITF I would miss the everything lol.
  • Options
    dx1965dx1965 Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have ITF longer but I haven't explored everything involving it.
    I really like certain objects like the all in one bathrooms so I keep it in my game.
    Robots come in very handy for help with garden, housework they are better than butlers or humans, especially if your sim is loner and doesn't really like being around people much.
    Only thing I have done with showtime is have genie sim.
    I like their cleaning and banishing abilities.:)
    I have all the expansions but I don't play seasons much because my computer can't handle it.
    While like the content in fast lane and other stuff back that reminds me of fast lane I just leaving it out of my game so I have memory or other things.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I personally would never promote Showtime. Not with EA's lame attempt at forcing "online / multiplayer" features into it. It was the only EP I never bought, and refused to buy on principle, but a year or two ago it was given to me as a gift. I've never played the careers, though the Magician looks all right, and I haven't played with Genie's either.

ITF is very interesting. I have a lot of self employed sims, and my inventors and crazy professors really enjoy the future, the advanced technology and building plumbots, traits chips and participating in the Bot Arena. Being able to change the future to either a Utopia or what looks like a post apocalyptic wasteland is awesome. And I like very much how the things your sims do in the present will affect their future. You get notifications once you have traveled to the future and returned, when something you do may have changed the future for your sim.

Also mine just won 3 million simoleons by checking lotto numbers at future town hall, and buying a lotto ticket back in the present lol
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    At least Katy Perry actually had very little to do with the ST EP other than to offer a deluxe version with an extra performance dress and a hair. For extra money, of course.

I prefer a more realistic game so I'd choose ST. I've actually considered uninstalling ITF because I don't have my sims travel to the future and I've never even tried half the stuff in that EP. I wasn't really interested in the theme to begin with, but for some reason I thought I needed to buy everything for TS3. :# Plus, sims in my 'normal, everyday' towns show up in the hideous clothes that came with that pack. But if you like the robots or the items (some are useful for modern architecture but I think I've only ever used one window in a 'normal' house) you might find the pack fun. It has some fun stuff in it, like hover boards. The thing I like the most about it and use every now and then is the ability to buy lottery tickets, because that's at least realistic. :D

Also, back when it came out I actually played a couple where the female was an acrobat and the male was a singer and they reached the top of their careers. I never simported with them and have no interest in doing that, but I actually found the ST careers a lot more fun than I expected to (although I've still not played a magician higher than level 7). I still play that family from time to time, and will sometimes place them in worlds that I want performers in, whether I play them or not. Because as others have mentioned, the negative to that pack is that SP will create sims to perform in your worlds whether you actually want them there or not. But personally I don't find it difficult to ignore that.

So, obviously we're all different in how we like to play. Good luck making your decision! :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    depends on your gameplay I'd say. If you're into realistic play then I'd definitely say Showtime... but if you're into the ridiculous then ITF is actually really fun. I like it a lot for my one game, but that game they are living in Lunar Lakes... so its supposed to be a futuristic sort of game.

If I was just playing my regular games I would have gotten showtime, because I really wanted to flesh out the musician and performer career since its not all that well done with .. LN.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    I loved redoing lunar lakes with all the ITF stuff.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2016
    Am going to agree with all the simmers here that mentioned Showtime,I love Showtime and It would be my choice.I like ITF and mostly use it as a stuff pack but Showtimes as mentioned by Jillbg and Joanne65 the content gets used alot in every game.The effect machines,the lighting,genie lamps,the outfits,hair....ahh I love showtime <3

If you followed my update my wife is a acrobat.Little preview of her show below.GET SHOWTIME ,both videos same career look at all the stuff you can do in one career,and this is still not all the tricks.Both different stuff. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL-Z4Mqsc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObTC1K9ais

Plus look in the What Happened thread I think 2recent updates are simmers playing Showtime.It is making a comeback.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    edited January 2016
    Showtime is the only pack I don't have (I'm not that interested in the careers) so I'll tell you what I like about ITF

First off,I love the plumbots.
    Mine help around the house a lot. They cook delicious meals, and babysit the kids. Gives my sims a break.
    Descendants are great too but the novelty soon wears off.
    I also love the lottery - if I want to make money without cheating I just travel back in time, check the lottery records and buy a ticket.

I often use the option to genetically engineer a baby at the hospital. Two sims of any gender can go in and BAM! you get an instant baby.

Whenever I used to decide between an expansion I'd just go with my gut. Happy Simming!

\cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    edited January 2016
    Am going to agree with all the simmers here that mentioned Showtime,I love Showtime and It would be my choice.I like ITF and mostly use it as a stuff pack but Showtimes as mentioned by Jillbg and Joanne65 the content gets used alot in every game.The effect machines,the lighting,genie lamps,the outfits,hair....ahh I love showtime <3

If you followed my update my wife is a acrobat.Little preview of her show below.GET SHOWTIME ,both videos same career look at all the stuff you can do in one career,and this is still not all the tricks.Both different stuff. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL-Z4Mqsc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObTC1K9ais

Plus look in the What Happened thread I think 2recent updates are simmers playing Showtime.It is making a comeback.

I absolutely enjoyed that first video and loved the song! Don't know who it is but it's lovely! :)

*goes to check out the second video*

ETA: I know that second song by a different singer. Nice.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I have to say, the astronomer career from ITF is one of my favorite rabbit hole careers, and I usually add an observetory to most of my towns I play, and I usually add a bot arena and bot workshop to most of my towns.
    Robot butlers/nanny/gardener cant say how awesome they are.

I just realized also, that the only showtime lot I really use in most of my towns wouldn't work without ITF among other things: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8084196

Without that lot theres a lot of content I wouldn't really use, but its pretty special :)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I have both and can't really choose one over the other so I'll just use what I want from both like I do with all of them.I actually have the entire collection installed on my computer and it's running just fine that way.I actually have to choose to run the entire collection with my games and just make sure I'm still at the 167 patch and not at the 169 Plague.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I have both and can't really choose one over the other so I'll just use what I want from both like I do with all of them.I actually have the entire collection installed on my computer and it's running just fine that way.I actually have to choose to run the entire collection with my games and just make sure I'm still at the 167 patch and not at the 169 Plague.

Hello Tad,

I have been away for quite some time and know very little about this 1.69 patch. My game auto updated because it was set up to do so? And I had not played the game in a while. Now I am back to it, seems to be running fine. I've experience no issues, but what should I be concerned with?

OP, sorry to veer your thread of track. To answer your questions, I'd go for ITF. I just love that EP. For me it provides and escape from the daily, daily of m sims lives, and we get to go and do fun things. ST was/is fun too. I'd watch for sales, look on Amazon, and buy them both! Why not, splurge a little. ;)
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited January 2016
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    TadOlson wrote: »

Hello Tad,

I have been away for quite some time and know very little about this 1.69 patch. My game auto updated because it was set up to do so? And I had not played the game in a while. Now I am back to it, seems to be running fine. I've experience no issues, but what should I be concerned with?

OP, sorry to veer your thread of track. To answer your questions, I'd go for ITF. I just love that EP. For me it provides and escape from the daily, daily of m sims lives, and we get to go and do fun things. ST was/is fun too. I'd watch for sales, look on Amazon, and buy them both! Why not, splurge a little. ;)

I have 1.69 and no issues too.
    Post edited by GITTE2001 on
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I have to say, the astronomer career from ITF is one of my favorite rabbit hole careers, and I usually add an observetory to most of my towns I play, and I usually add a bot arena and bot workshop to most of my towns.
    Robot butlers/nanny/gardener cant say how awesome they are.

I just realized also, that the only showtime lot I really use in most of my towns wouldn't work without ITF among other things: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8084196

Without that lot theres a lot of content I wouldn't really use, but its pretty special :)

I forgot about the observatory :0 I need to go get it from the future for my world in the making ,seems like something that would fit well in the future district.

The buildings and houses that come with into the future are definitely amazing !
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @Okblondee7 The first song is "Come Undone" by Duran Duran.The second song is a remake of the original which is by Patrick Swayze :'( and used in Dirty Dancing "She's like the wind".The remake is Lumidee featuring Tony Sunshine.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Haha. Fantasy or reality, it's all one to me since my game is a Fantasyland anyway. :smiley: You know, in the real world I can't go run around outside my property and pick up metal and send it to a smeltery then turn around and take it to the consignment store and make millions off of it in a week. It's probably just as well we can't because can you just imagine the ensuing inflation?

@SimKeats that is a beautiful lot! It's too bad it requires so many things I don't have.

@Pary am I to understand, then, that Showtime adds the social feature and it wasn't put in the Showtime update? I just assumed that it was in that update. Like you, I don't care about social features. When I want to talk with like-minded people about a game I go to a forum.

@momboqueen I'm a huge fan of Rflong's Bellatrix and I can imagine myself doing the same thing there. Lunar Lakes is a very pretty world but in my opinion Bellatrix takes everything Lunar Lakes has and makes it better.

@JoBass24us considering I've inadvertently done the same thing a few times in my life I'm in no position to complain. :lol: It's not so much a matter of the financial considerations as it is budgeting my computer's resources. I don't know if this machine has what it takes to run everything so I'm preferring trying things one at a time over installing multiple packs just in case. When it comes to the 1.69 update there are some threads that explain a lot more about that than I could ever post here. I suggest starting with the pinned thread on the "small update". There's another similar thread in the tech section.

@TadOlson I know you have worked tirelessly to get your game to perform as smoothly as you possibly can and from what I read of your posts you've done a bang-up job of things. It makes me wonder what your computer specs are. I keep thinking my computer is fairly low-end but realistically when I look at new computers many of them don't have any better specs than mine does (and for considerably more money than I spent on this one) with the upgrades I've made to it over the years. I have a 3.4 GHz quad-core processor and 8 GB of RAM. Of course we know the game can't use more than 3.6 GB of RAM and that any halfway decent video card has to be throttled to a very low FPS so all-in-all sometimes a better computer does more harm than good for this game. So, what are your specs?