Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thinking About Building a New PC

SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
Why? Well...I don't really need one. My current PC is just two years old. It does a decent job of playing TS3 with all its expansions without too much lag. I guess this is mostly for the fun of it. What I really like to do is build the most powerful machine I can reasonably afford in the smallest, lightest and quietest case possible. I like small because I have difficulty lifting anything heavy and I like to be able to do things myself without assistance as much as possible.

My current PC is built on a micro-atx motherboard in the smallest case I could find 2 years ago for what I wanted. It is a Silverstone Sugo SG09. Any smaller than that and I didn't think I would get decent enough airflow to cool the graphics card. I recently had some trouble with my machine which took me quite a while to troubleshoot. All my USB devices were dropping out. I couldn't tell if the problem was defective hardware or a driver issue.
It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that somewhere along the line the USB Controller Driver that was originally working when I first installed it was the problem. Just like with TS3 expansions that used to work but quit working correctly after that last patch my best theory is that some updates to Windows made a driver that used to work fine no longer work. Once I figured out which driver was the problem I was able to find a driver that worked. But in the course of troubleshooting that problem I found myself taking my machine apart more than once and swapping out devices and fans and whatnot. I discovered that I really hate working in the SG09. Once the system is put together it runs great...and I never want to open that box up again!

So keeping that in mind I still want a small case but I want it to be easier to work with than the Sugo. So those are my criteria. Small. Powerful. Lightweight. Easy to work with. Fun. And let's throw in interesting/pretty for added measure. When I say pretty I am not talking about a pink case. I am talking about a case that isn't boring. That doesn't look like an eyesore. I know everyone has their different sense of aesthetics in this area. So I will give an example of what I have been looking at recently. Lian-Li PC-V359WG.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or discussions about your own recent or current builds welcome in this thread.

Oh. And of course it goes without saying that this new PC should be able to run TS3 with all its expansions and stuff packs and loaded down with Store Content. But anyone reading this knew that already, right?
Origin ID: Barbara917

Comments

• Options
    SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Hi there,

If you're looking for help regarding computers then @Colton147147 is probably the person to ask :)

My Dad built a Pc for me last year, a pretty good one that was capable of playing The Sims 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV :) However I now use a laptop which I got for my 18th birthday this year. My laptop can run The Sims 4 and The Sims 3, though both of which I need to re-download when my internet is better :)

Also if you're looking for a computer case maybe you could try: http://www.novatech.co.uk/
    I'm not sure where you live but they sell pretty good cases on that site, as well as ones which have good cooling :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2015
    Colton does not build but @chesterbigbird does. It would be better to wait for them since they have real experience.

I have built one desktop so far and I'm already planning a second build. I had so much fun and I will never buy pre-built again. I used the website pcpartpicker.com to put together a list. That is something chester can help you out with. Mini builds are generally hard to build with and keep cool but that's the trade off of having a small compact build. A mid tower case is the next step up. Some even come with handles on top all though I don't know how trust worthy that is. You can get cases with a window on the side and led fans to light it up. It doesn't cost that much more but then you might want to color match everything to complete the look.

I spent two weeks watching YouTube videos while I waited for my parts. These are some tech channels that I follow:
    LinusTechTips
    JayzTwoCents
    Awesomesauce Network
    Paul's Hardware

Here is a recent budget build guide by LinusTechTips:
    https://youtu.be/uom9SsPocCE
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @Sennie - Thank you for the kind reply. Sounds like you have a pretty nice Dad. I have a laptop and it plays TS3 and a subset of the expansions OK. But it would be overwhelmed by the whole set. Other than that I have pretty idiosynchratic preferences that don't all fit in with the mainstream. I am just not comfortable working on a laptop for extended use. I am in Texas. The retailer with the best deals on parts near me is MicroCenter. What I did to build my last PC was similar to what @Simasaurus09 did although I did not use a parts picker site to select my parts. I started with a motherboard and a case I thought I would like to build with and went from there. I am my own parts picker.

@Simasaurus09 - Thanks for the nice suggestions. I watch a lot of those videos as well although I do not subscribe to those channels. I basically start with an interesting motherboard and research it by both reading the manuals, information on the internet and all the helpful youtube DIY videos that you also watch. I stumbled onto interest in the Lian-Li PC-V359WG by watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzND3Hyk7I

But please feel free to use this thread to talk about the computer you built. What works for me is not necessarily what works for everyone and I read what others do with their builds to figure out what I want to do. And, yes. I had so much fun building my last computer I will always want to build my own as well. I know how you feel.

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Personally, I don't really mind size. As a matter of fact, a large case for me means more room to accommodate more powerful GPUs, which I like.

I'm not really an expert on everything, but I think if you want small but powerful, you should invest in better cooling to compensate for reduced airflow. I watched a video on setting up a liquid cooling circuit, and it's a lot of work, so you might not like that. But I think there are simpler cooling solutions that you can try.

And upgrading is kind of timely, because the new Skylake Intel processors just came out recently. Some people online have said that the improvement is only marginal, so if you have a slightly older Intel CPU, there's no need to upgrade. But assuming you're getting a new motherboard, I think you should get one with the new socket (LGA 1151) so that you don't lock yourself out of newer hardware in the future.

As for the GPU, I don't really know all the models. I did a search on "small powerful GPU" and this is one of the results: http://gizmodo.com/amds-powerful-new-r9-nano-graphics-card-fits-in-small-p-1726863272

It looks promising. Don't know if heat would be a problem, but a few Google searches here and there should tell you what you need to know.

I picked out some parts last year for a computer that can play DA: Inquisition, and I upgraded my CPU a few weeks ago. I now have:

An i5-6400 on an Asus H170m-E D3 motherboard (it's a micro-ATX board; one possible mobo to choose from if you plan to get a Skylake :) )
    A Radeon R9 270X Powercolor edition with 2 GB of VRAM
    8 GB of RAM

It plays Inquisition and GTA V pretty well on decent settings. I plan to try Fallout 4 on this one when I have the time. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Also, just a little anecdote. From the end of the TS2 era up until last year, the computers I've had were either laptops or prebuilt desktops, so it had been years since I last customized a computer. So when I decided to pick out parts last year, I wondered whether AGP graphics cards were still a thing. Apparently they were not.

Prior to the R9 270X, the last GPU I bought was a Radeon 9250. It rendered The Sims 2 pretty well alongside our then-new Pentium IV CPU. :p
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    @icmnfrsh - Thanks for the suggestions and the link to that R9 Nano card. I hadn't heard about that one and definitely worth looking at. I understand your interest in larger ATX based builds and you are right that they do provide more options for expanding. I like to read about everyone's builds and their reasons for them. Sometimes I get new ideas for stuff I hadn't considered. But I am happy that these days smaller doesn't necessarily have to mean less powerful.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    @Sincerbox

What is your country of residence so I can tell your currency. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    As a side note, I recommend taking a look at Corsair's smaller cases (Corsair Obsidian 350D for example).

They are more roomy than most from what I have seen and would sustain more upgrades in the future. :)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Colton does not build but @chesterbigbird does. It would be better to wait for them since they have real experience.

I have built one desktop so far and I'm already planning a second build. I had so much fun and I will never buy pre-built again. I used the website pcpartpicker.com to put together a list. That is something chester can help you out with. Mini builds are generally hard to build with and keep cool but that's the trade off of having a small compact build. A mid tower case is the next step up. Some even come with handles on top all though I don't know how trust worthy that is. You can get cases with a window on the side and led fans to light it up. It doesn't cost that much more but then you might want to color match everything to complete the look.

I spent two weeks watching YouTube videos while I waited for my parts. These are some tech channels that I follow:
    LinusTechTips
    JayzTwoCents
    Awesomesauce Network
    Paul's Hardware

Here is a recent budget build guide by LinusTechTips:
    https://youtu.be/uom9SsPocCE

I second that colton DOES NOT BUILD and never has @chesterbigbird
  • Options
    United States:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MyTrNG

$1,015

United Kingdom:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MyTrNG

£591

Both are the same... The only difference is the price due to currency differences. It will run the Sims without issue.

STOP PLEASE
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited November 2015
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    @icmnfrsh - Thanks for the suggestions and the link to that R9 Nano card. I hadn't heard about that one and definitely worth looking at. I understand your interest in larger ATX based builds and you are right that they do provide more options for expanding. I like to read about everyone's builds and their reasons for them. Sometimes I get new ideas for stuff I hadn't considered. But I am happy that these days smaller doesn't necessarily have to mean less powerful.

Yeah. Although smaller might mean increased temperatures, so there's that to consider.

The GPU has always been my favorite hardware; I'm a very visual person. That's why I didn't skimp on the GPU last year. I got a cheap AMD APU at the same time to save on costs, but I decided to upgrade this year to reduce the bottleneck when a PC game renders frames. :) When it comes to the RAM, PSU, and motherboard, I usually just care if I have enough power, and in the case of the mobo, if it has enough slots to accommodate everything.

• Options
    @Colton147147 - Thank you for the suggestions.The Corsair Obsidian 350D is a nice looking case and looks like it would be great for a closed loop water cooling solution. I actually liked the look of the Corsair Carbide Air 240 for its small size and dual chamber design. I saw it at Microcenter today but was not impressed by the quality of the plastic front and side panels. Nevertheless the Corsair Carbide Air 240 is a strong candidate simply for its small size and potential for ventilation.

@chesterbigbird - Those are both nice looking cases. The Nanoxia is just too big for what I want. Much of the space is used up by drive cages that I will never have a need for. I would certainly look at it if I were looking to build a server with lots of room for drives and a high demand for storage. The Phanteks is also a good looking case but it looks to me that it is better suited for a closed loop water cooling solution rather than air cooling. It also looks like it might be a little to big for me. I did find it odd that the optical drive bay was on the back and it would have been better just to leave that off.

@phoebebebe13 - Not sure what is going on here. Must be something I don't know about.

@icmnfrsh - You are absolutely correct that smaller can cause increased temperatures if the cooling is not intelligently engineered. Some cases look to me like they are better suited for CLP's and some for air coolers. The Lian-Li case looks like it will do well going either way. I like the fact that it has the option to focus two 120MM case fans directly at the GPU. My instinct is to overbuild on the CPU and Motherboard and initially skimp on the GPU as the GPU is easier to upgrade down the line. Neither do I have any plans to upgrade past 1080p resolution in the near future. A lot of the higher end GPU's these days are being engineered for 4K Ultra and multi-screen applications. And I play The Sims. I don't play games like Battlefield or Skyrim.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I did some more research on the Carbide Air 240 and it seems like a sturdy, reliable case that is good for those who are wanting a small case, but I feel like it will not sustain many upgrades in the future however.
    Post edited by Colton147147 on
  • Options
    @Colton147147 - Thank you for the suggestions.The Corsair Obsidian 350D is a nice looking case and looks like it would be great for a closed loop water cooling solution. I actually liked the look of the Corsair Carbide Air 240 for its small size and dual chamber design. I saw it at Microcenter today but was not impressed by the quality of the plastic front and side panels. Nevertheless the Corsair Carbide Air 240 is a strong candidate simply for its small size and potential for ventilation.

@chesterbigbird - Those are both nice looking cases. The Nanoxia is just too big for what I want. Much of the space is used up by drive cages that I will never have a need for. I would certainly look at it if I were looking to build a server with lots of room for drives and a high demand for storage. The Phanteks is also a good looking case but it looks to me that it is better suited for a closed loop water cooling solution rather than air cooling. It also looks like it might be a little to big for me. I did find it odd that the optical drive bay was on the back and it would have been better just to leave that off.

@phoebebebe13 - Not sure what is going on here. Must be something I don't know about.

@icmnfrsh - You are absolutely correct that smaller can cause increased temperatures if the cooling is not intelligently engineered. Some cases look to me like they are better suited for CLP's and some for air coolers. The Lian-Li case looks like it will do well going either way. I like the fact that it has the option to focus two 120MM case fans directly at the GPU. My instinct is to overbuild on the CPU and Motherboard and initially skimp on the GPU as the GPU is easier to upgrade down the line. Neither do I have any plans to upgrade past 1080p resolution in the near future. A lot of the higher end GPU's these days are being engineered for 4K Ultra and multi-screen applications. And I play The Sims. I don't play games like Battlefield or Skyrim.

wow you do want it small LOL.
    If your only playing the sims then i wouldn't go overboard on a pc.
    A simply GTX 960 card and a 6th gen i5 will get the job done.
    You may want to look into silverstone cases and fractual design.. both make excellent micro towers.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352034&ignorebbr=1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163186&ignorebbr=1
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited November 2015
    My current PC is built on a micro-atx motherboard in the smallest case I could find 2 years ago for what I wanted. It is a Silverstone Sugo SG09.
    I discovered that I really hate working in the SG09. Once the system is put together it runs great...and I never want to open that box up again!

@chesterbigbird - LOL I guess you missed this part of my OP. The SG09 is 8.5 in W x 11.5 in H x 14 in D. I am making a major concession on size here by scaling up to a chasis like the Corsair Carbide Air 240.

My current Sugo is air cooled by a Silverstone Heligon tower heatsink that takes up the free space of the body of the chasis. The Heligon heatsink has 140mm fan pulling/pushing air through the heatsink directly into the 120mm outtake fan at the back of the case. In addition, there is a 200mm intake fan at the top. On the left side panel I have 3 120mm case fans intaking air straight into the GPU. The case is a marvel of small but powerful engineering but after 2 years it has become just no fun to work in any longer.

Two and a half years ago NCIX Tech Tips did a build in it with dual GTX 680 graphics cards in SLI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOxvwbke9w

I am not quite that crazy.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Sincerbox what is going on is that more than one person in this thread has stated colton does not build computers, never has. We have asked him kindly in private several times to not build because he doesn't. Sorry to say its a game he is playing , its been going on for months and it needs to stop. Why a few of us called in chester since they build have been for years. I would think since you came in this forum you would want advice from an expert builder like chester rather than someone who has never built a computer ever.

PS your thread is in off topic and not a good place to ask for computer advice. It belongs in the tech threads where you will find expert help there
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    My current PC is built on a micro-atx motherboard in the smallest case I could find 2 years ago for what I wanted. It is a Silverstone Sugo SG09.
    I discovered that I really hate working in the SG09. Once the system is put together it runs great...and I never want to open that box up again!

@chesterbigbird - LOL I guess you missed this part of my OP. The SG09 is 8.5 in W x 11.5 in H x 14 in D. I am making a major concession on size here by scaling up to a chasis like the Corsair Carbide Air 240.

My current Sugo is air cooled by a Silverstone Heligon tower heatsink that takes up the free space of the body of the chasis. The Heligon heatsink has 140mm fan pulling/pushing air through the heatsink directly into the 120mm outtake fan at the back of the case. In addition, there is a 200mm intake fan at the top. On the left side panel I have 3 120mm case fans intaking air straight into the GPU. The case is a marvel of small but powerful engineering but after 2 years it has become just no fun to work in any longer.

Two and a half years ago NCIX Tech Tips did a build in it with dual GTX 680 graphics cards in SLI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOxvwbke9w

I am not quite that crazy.

Im just not a fan of the smaller cases, I don't like to be restricted in what i can upgrade, and i don't like having soo much heat in such a small amount of space. I prefer the Mid tower. I don't mind the weight of it because its not often moved (only when cleaning and upgrading.)
    When i get a base pc then i like knowing that i can upgrade it without restrictions, i generally upgrade twice before buying all new again.
    I personally would never have a sli setup in such a small case.
    Also not a fan of the micro motherboard.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited November 2015
    That Corsair Carbide Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower is adorable. The reviews for it are pretty decent but some complaints. It comes with cheap fans and of course, space can be a real pain for most video cards. That is what I'm reading from Newegg reviews anyways. To be fair a lot of cases come with cheap fans and those can be replaced. You will find a lot of reviews on that site and I usually check there before purchasing. I noticed Newegg is including a free Corsair fan with some cases for a limited time. Depending on where you are, I have no clue if you can shop from that site.

pcpartpicker.com is great because it will give you a list of compatible parts and shows you the best prices available along with average rating. I start out with the GPU and then make a list from there but you could start out with the case and see what the website comes up with for compatible parts. It's a fun site to mess around with even if you're just bored. :p Good luck on this build! I just ordered some parts for my second build.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm just not a fan of the smaller cases, I don't like to be restricted in what i can upgrade, and i don't like having soo much heat in such a small amount of space. I prefer the Mid tower. I don't mind the weight of it because its not often moved (only when cleaning and upgrading.)
    When i get a base pc then i like knowing that i can upgrade it without restrictions, i generally upgrade twice before buying all new again.
    I personally would never have a sli setup in such a small case.
    Also not a fan of the micro motherboard.

I understand your points about the ability to upgrade in a larger chasis on ATX motherboards. I don't criticize your ideas on that. Because they are based on what you feel you will need to do with your computer down the line. All I would say is that we have different requirements. Where weight and size are not an issue for you they are a primary issue for me. I am a person that has difficulty lifting and managing that tiny Sugo you see in the above NCIX tech tips video. And as I don't ask anyone's help and do everything myself wasted size and space means everything to me. That does not mean I don't admire the builds of mid-tower ATX builds and see their purpose. There is a lot in them that I can learn from. I just have no need for a chasis that uses space for more than a few SSD's.

As far as heat in a small chasis is concerned, you are not wrong that it can be an issue if the chasis is not properly ventilated. But I would also say that if the chasis is not properly engineered some mid-tower cases can have worse ventilation than my little Sugo. I posted the NCIX Tech Tips video to illustrate that point. Small when properly engineered can be properly ventilated. If you watched that video through to the end you will see that he over-clocked that build and still maintained adequate temperatures. Despite that I wouldn't want to put dual graphics on a micro-atx board either. I wouldn't want to deal with the nightmare of finding space for the cables. For my own purposes, I just don't ever see the need to run dual graphics. Which gets me back to my point of different requirements. Your statement that you are not a "fan" of micro-atx boards is understandable given your requirements (which are not mine.)

As far as upgrading. I don't do a lot of it. I tend to overbuild and then never need to upgrade. The only thing I plan on upgrading on this is the GPU but for that all I intend to do is swap out the initial GPU I use for a better one. I built my first computer back in 2009 for TS3 when it was first released. It can still play it with all the expansions with my old Radeon HD 5850 but it really struggles. I can no longer deal with the slow speeds of mechanical HDD's. Don't think I will ever use one again.

For why I am building this new PC. My current PC is doing great. I don't need a new one. But my son's is old and he is poor. I was actually thinking of giving my Sugo to him and letting him do with it what he will. It's a good little machine and uses an I7-4770K on a Z87 micro-atx motherboard. This way I get the fun of building a new PC for myself with a chasis that will be easier to work in and my son will get a very nice used PC for Christmas.
    That Corsair Carbide Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower is adorable. The reviews for it are pretty decent but some complaints. It comes with cheap fans and of course, space can be a real pain for most video cards. That is what I'm reading from Newegg reviews anyways. To be fair a lot of cases come with cheap fans and those can be replaced. You will find a lot of reviews on that site and I usually check there before purchasing. I noticed Newegg is including a free Corsair fan with some cases for a limited time. Depending on where you are, I have no clue if you can shop from that site.

pcpartpicker.com is great because it will give you a list of compatible parts and shows you the best prices available along with average rating. I start out with the GPU and then make a list from there but you could start out with the case and see what the website comes up with for compatible parts. It's a fun site to mess around with even if you're just bored. :p Good luck on this build! I just ordered some parts for my second build.

Yes. The Air 240 is really cute and small which is why I liked it. I saw it at MicroCenter yesterday on Black Friday. The two things I didn't like is that the exterior plastic panels are kind of cheap and looked really worn on that display model and it doesn't include a 5.2" drive bay for an optical drive. I would still want one optical drive. I like to use it to watch movies on DVD's. Of course, I could always get an external optical drive which I haven't ruled out.
  • Options
    @Sincerbox what is going on is that more than one person in this thread has stated colton does not build computers, never has. We have asked him kindly in private several times to not build because he doesn't. Sorry to say its a game he is playing , its been going on for months and it needs to stop. Why a few of us called in chester since they build have been for years. I would think since you came in this forum you would want advice from an expert builder like chester rather than someone who has never built a computer ever.

PS your thread is in off topic and not a good place to ask for computer advice. It belongs in the tech threads where you will find expert help there

@phoebebebe13 - My thread is off-topic? This is the off-topic chat forum. My thread was intended to be social and doesn't relate to needing technical help playing the The Sims 3 or The Sims 4. I would have thought a discussion about building my own PC and wanting to hear about other people's computers would be off-topic there. My apologies if I misunderstood the meaning of off-topic.

It is kind of you to be looking out for me as far as thinking some members are misrepresenting themselves. I try to listen to everyone's ideas with respect but then I form my own opinions after learning from as many sources as I possibly can.
  • Options
    I'm old school too with needing a optical drive. Won't purchase a case without a slot for it.
  • Options

@phoebebebe13 - My thread is off-topic? This is the off-topic chat forum. My thread was intended to be social and doesn't relate to needing technical help playing the The Sims 3 or The Sims 4. I would have thought a discussion about building my own PC and wanting to hear about other people's computers would be off-topic there. My apologies if I misunderstood the meaning of off-topic.

It is kind of you to be looking out for me as far as thinking some members are misrepresenting themselves. I try to listen to everyone's ideas with respect but then I form my own opinions after learning from as many sources as I possibly can.

Thats ok but Your thread really belongs in tech not off topic. Most people when they ask for build advice or buying computers post in tech and where you will find more of the builders in this form. I help in the tech threads but dont build, why I called in chester for you. Most of us that help in the tech threads dont frequent the off topic section so you might get advice from some who dont know what they are doing. Yes there are people in this forum who misrepresent themselves.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Nevermind. :)
    Post edited by Colton147147 on