Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do we determine Maxis Faves?

Comments

• Options
    ShellbellShellbell Posts: 132 Member
    @Xinqun Thank you so much I am so terrible at them and alot of youtube videos they do it really fast and I cant fallow. Never thought to download lots and take the roof apart haha.
  • Options
    fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    @rcone I am sorry I am so very late in replying to your comments. I guess I just missed this one, sorry.

I took a look at your showcase thread and I think you are very talented when it comes to architecture. I loved some of your houses you have done. Your landscaping may be a little overdone but you seem to be on the right track with that. You enlarge a great deal with your gardening, which is fine but again a little overdone on that part.

Interiors are not too bad, just keep working at them. I pride myself on my interior design but then, that's where I get most of my compliments.

I tried to find a link to your gallery and maybe I just missed it but I think it always helps to provide a link to all of your uploaded houses. Of course, I do a lot of promoting on Facebook and I get tons of compliments too but for some reason those don't always translate to faves and downloads. A lot of simmers just don't click links to the gallery, even if they make nice compliments to you about your work. I also do upload to The Sims 4 Official Facebook Page too, which helps a little but again, many just won't commit to clicking over and at least faving one's work.

As far as Maxis fave; I've managed to pick up seven now. I will say though that I look at my work now and I look back even a year ago when I first started building in TS4 (I started late with this version of the Sims) and I see a lot of improvement in my work. This has also always been the case as long as I have been building since TS2. I guess practice, practice, practice can make a lot of difference.

One advice I give to anyone is never worry about the time. I build usually one room at a time and then sometimes go back and change up things or add something. Each room to me is its own masterpiece. Same goes with every aspect of landscaping. If you're going to build a particular garden, take your time like you're painting a picture. Of course enlarge if you see it helps but remember that the smaller the house, the smaller the garden. If you got this little cottage and yet these huge flowers, they sometimes just don't go together.

I don't think I need to give you any advice on your architecture because you seem to have a good handle on that aspect of your builds. I confess that I am a copycat. When I see a house that impresses me, I will download it and take a thorough walkthrough to see if I can discover the builder's talent. Of course I have a lot of my own unique styles but I have learned from the masters over time.

It took me a long time to finally get the gurus to fave my work and perhaps much of it had to do with me reaching the point that they were impressed enough to do so. I challenge you to do the same. Don't give up until they cry uncle and pop you a Maxis Fave and that's just because you deserved it so much that they could not stop themselves from doing so. :wink: You've got what it takes, you just need to perfect it. Then when you finally do, you will know it is because you worked really hard for it for a long time.

Still, take others advice about recommending other builders' work, but only do so if they deserve it too. I have builder friends but if they want a recommend from me, they're going to have to impress me enough to get it. I would expect no less of them.
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    I can attest to the fact that people who do not use social media, do not have a ton of followers, or get mentioned here on the forums can get faves. Was so happy to get my first maxis fave a few days ago and found it so unexpected! I can also admit there are ups and down to getting a fave as some people will comment just to say they don't like something or that it isn't their thing. Others will congratulate you or tell you how much you like it. So, it certainly was interesting to experience.
  • Options
    @AutumnBladen, I would not pay any attention to those who would make negative comments about your Maxis faved lots, they're just jealous. If you did well enough to get noticed by those who know the difference between what is great and what is not, those negative voices just don't matter. Congrats on the Maxis fave. :smiley:
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I can attest to the fact that people who do not use social media, do not have a ton of followers, or get mentioned here on the forums can get faves. Was so happy to get my first maxis fave a few days ago and found it so unexpected! I can also admit there are ups and down to getting a fave as some people will comment just to say they don't like something or that it isn't their thing. Others will congratulate you or tell you how much you like it. So, it certainly was interesting to experience.

I agree @AutumnBladen that you do not have to be popular. I am not well known in any gaming community.Im just a normal girl who likes playing the sims, but somehow my house was noticed and I got a fave a couple weeks ago.It's really exciting . Congrats on yours :)
  • Options
    CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    I was wondering something in regards to Maxis Fav's for households. I see in the opening post:
    Does the household have custom content? (If so it will automatically be rejected as it is not official Maxis created content.)

Am I correct in assuming custom gallery poses for the upload picture are considered CC as well? The Gallery doesn't register them as custom content, but I also haven't seen any households using them being fav'd (of course speaking of the cases where the actual household or sim itself doesn't contain any CC items). I'm fine with it either way, just wanted some clarification on how they are viewed in this regard and whether those households can be put up for a Fav nomination or whether they'll be automatically rejected under the above rule. :)
  • Options
    NoreNore Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2017
    Hey guys! I recently started building on Sims 4 again after a long break with the goal of getting one of these Maxis Faves eventually. Back in the Sims 3 I also built a lot and always tried to get picked or featured on one of the many websites for Sims like modthesims or thesimsresource, but it never happened. So now I'm trying to make it happen in Sims 4 haha. I had a question regarding Maxis Faves thus. I read the guide about flickering and MOO, etc, and have been very cognisant about making sure to follow those rules. I also learnt a lot more reading this thread a bit.

My question is can a lot be TOO detailed to get chosen? I recently realised that I don't actually play my builds in the game much if at all (other than playtesting) and thus have no idea if they might lag with all that stuff. My latest big creation, titled 'When Baroque Met Modern,' cost about 799,000 on a 30x20 lot. I'm wondering if that might be too much stuff and detail. I spent a countless amount of time with the detail of it. And then after it was finished I spent more countless amounts of time playtesting haha, which led to many rebuilds. But I always make sure to try most of the objects on the lot, fix pathing, and replace the lot to see if anything moves with and without MOO.

I guess I'm wondering then if all that detailing is time wasted and if maybe less detail is preferred in order to make sure the lot doesn't lag.

I guess I'm also wondering what I might be doing wrong or what I could do better to reach this goal of Maxis Fave. I noticed people offering constructive criticism or advice in general and wouldn't mind any comments anyone might have. I would offer to give advice to others as well but never having been selected I'm not sure if it would be useful. I'm more than happy to comment in general though :) I particularly fancy builds that capture architectural styles well, always been my favourite kinds.

Anyway here is a link to my showcase in case anyone has any tips :)Norekp Showcase
    Thanks in advance!!
    Link to my showcase thread: NoreKP Showcase

Link to a story I started: Chronicles of a Simki

Origin ID: NoreKP

Latest build: When Baroque Met Modern
    4584899921fd5b78c0674fd01372085ee844519960c626fcee531895d7bd6d3af4b9e81c.jpg
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to EA/Maxis for favouriting my latest lot. It was my first time being favourited :)

I do want to still ask though about too much detail haha. It was my first time attempting a starter (the build that was favourited) and definitely has about a hundreth of the detail of the French Baroque house I mentioned above, and definitely took a hundreth of the amount of time. Does anyone know how EA/Maxis views too much clutter/detail/decor? I must admit it kind of makes me want to stay with smaller and simpler builds as large builds are so time consuming to furnish haha :D That and also because of my moderately severe OCD, smaller builds are definitely less stress and anxiety for me. At least, I mean to say, I don't spend endless amounts of time double-checking every inch to make sure nothing to accidentally moved or deleted, mostly because there's way less to check in the smaller build haha.

• Options
    Been reading this thread some more, I noticed a lot of people discussing social media, like Twitter. I wondered if anyone could explain how that works exactly? I tried to look around for more info, but couldn't see any. Which social media sites, other than Twitter, are utilised? To whom do we tweet? Do we tweet our nominations like we do on this thread or do you tweet your own builds for consideration of Maxis Faves?

I don't use much social media myself, so if anyone knows any information regarding the above enquiries or can point me to somewhere where I can read more, it would be most appreciated! Thanks :)

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Nore social media is helpful for getting more exposure for your creations, although I wouldn't put too much weight on it garnering a favorite. I personally use Twitter, and when you tweet a build (make sure to include a picture), you can tag @TheSims, include the hashtag #TheSims4, and even tag specific Sim Gurus (I sometimes tag SimGuruHouts if I've done something interesting with architecture, as I know he likes that sort of thing). There is also a Facebook page for The Sims, so you could always follow and post to that as well. Personally, I don't connect on Facebook, as my Facebook account is reserved for my real life connections/discussions. It looks like they have an Instagram too, but that's another outlet I don't use. And I shouldn't forget to mention YouTube - if you like to create videos of your creations, it's definitely the place to post them (although there may be others). Many people really enjoy watching speed build or build tour videos.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I often promote my YouTube channel in the description of the build that I'm sharing. Does that prevent me from getting a Maxis fave, @SimGuruDrake?
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    bad1788bad1788 Posts: 42 Member
    Is the web version of the Sims 4 Gallery different in it's chosen display for Maxis favs then the in game? I tend to use the gallery most extensively through firefox (web browser) as it appears more stable then the in game but I have noticed the first page of the gallery with the Maxis recent Favs has been showcasing the same three builds for months now.

Is the Gallery showcase on web highlighted differently then in game?
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Are you talking about the Maxis Top Downloads @bad1788? They are showing the same for me on the web and in the game gallery... Now, the display above called Maxis Top Picks has, I think, been the same items since practically game release.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    BolonkafrauchenBolonkafrauchen Posts: 73 Member
    Hi,
    I just read the announcement and I have a question. It says "are there any floating, missing or resized objects. Does that mean, i am nt allowed to resize (e.g.. a curtain) or do I have to be careful that it is not back to its normal size when downloaded again?
    vdeaSb2.jpg
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I think there are many wonderful creators in the Gallery! I understand there is no way for Maxis to look at everyone's creations, but possibly scan over a few. I think for anyone to get a like from Maxis is something very special, one Person got two in two weeks, that had to be amazing!
  • Options
    Lianimal_1Lianimal_1 Posts: 198 Member
    Okay. I have a two day build with no CC that has over 60 downloads without Maxis approval. What does it really take for you to promote something?
  • Options
    BTW, I'm Lianimal1, and the property in question is "Explorer's Folly"
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I've just shared a lot of nice stuff, people download it, awesome, that's why I do it. But THIS one took me DAYS! LOL
  • Options
    Just frustrated. All I want is for people to use and enjoy my stuff. It seems like it never gets seen.
  • Options
    That sounded a little bitter LOL
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    Lianimal_1 wrote: »
    Okay. I have a two day build with no CC that has over 60 downloads without Maxis approval. What does it really take for you to promote something?

Realistically, you need to either enter and win the building competitions, be one of the "popular" builders who get nominated just because they have realised a new build, share your builds on social media (Twitter, Facebook etc), or I think it is have over 30 comments on your build.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    CellardwellerCellardweller Posts: 92 Member
    Lianimal_1 wrote: »

I've had a few of my restaurants get a bunch of downloads, like 200+ in a few days and some favs, & nice comments but no Maxis Favs ever and I agree that it makes me bitter too in a way. I don't belong to Twitter, Instagram, etc.

It really shouldn't be a popularity contest since not everybody has the time to be all in on social media, but about how unique, aesthetically pleasing, or functional the build is. It has annoyed me so much some days that I just want the faves out of my home feed because some of them just make me roll my eyes...LOL. I do understand that's my problem tho. and I'm just being grumpy.

I'm probably going to back off on builds and just play for fun until I'm ready to dive back in for another go. I guess I took a lot of time to say, I can understand why you feel the way you do about it.
  • Options
    HIstoricgalHIstoricgal Posts: 567 Member
    Yes I do also. I'm on FBook, but don't go there much at all any more. I think it should be by the build not by how popular you are or if you are on the medias or not. That is the reason we have the gallery to show our things. I have built and still building since the game came out and have lots of fave and downloads but never recognized by Maxis. Well the faves you get and the amount of downloads shows you that people (reg people) like and appreciate what you build. I have just decided that if my builds are good enough that so many people like them then they are the ones who count. Don't get me wrong it would be great to get a Maxis Recognition, but it doesn't bother me as much any more because I know there are people who likes what I build.
    Comments should matter either, it should go by the build it's self and how good it is, not by if you are popular!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Nore I think it's possible to over clutter a lot. Personally, I like to add lots of detail but that doesn't particularly mean to put so much stuff that it begins to look cluttered. Details mean things such as adding toilet paper perhaps in a bathroom, or towel racks. Or, filling in a large empty space on a wall. I just try to think about what a normal home would have when it comes to items.

Kitchens are a place that a lot of details get left out. If you go into most people's kitchens you can look around and you find a lot of things that make that Kitchen more homely for the family.

As far as landscaping; nice gardening is always appreciated but if you add too much gardening, then it starts to look cluttered and instead of adding beauty to the lot, it looks crowded. Curb appeal to me is an important aspect of a lot, and it is what draws simmers looking through the Gallery to fav or download a lot.
    Post edited by fidlerten on
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    The thing about popularity is that popular people are seen more often. If you have 1000 people following you, that's 1000 people who *might* recommend your build; if you have none, then you're dependent on random strangers finding your build by chance. Nobody says, "oh, X is popular, therefore let us get them a Maxis fave." Rather, at the end of the day, when Maxis looks around for a build to fave, the popular builders are easier to notice.

Put it another way: sometimes brilliant builds don't get faves because the right people don't know about them.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top