Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Black box shadows glitch no longer present in my game

icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
edited October 2015 in The Sims 2
I was looking around online to see if anyone had any real fixes for the black box shadows. Out of curiosity, I set shadows back to High in the game, and I was surprised to see this:

Untitled.png

For reference, I'm running Windows 10 with the latest graphics drivers for my laptop. I have a GeForce GT 635M with integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. I run The Sims 2 using the integrated graphics because the GeForce is unnecessary (and the game sees it as "low end", disabling some fancy graphics effects).

I guess NVIDIA got rid of some DirectX 9.0c side effects that were present in previous drivers?

I'm just happy my game looks pretty again. :)
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi :)

I had a laptop with Windows 7, dual graphics (one was NVidia) that didn't have a problem with the shadows indoors. It was so Awesome. . . but my new laptop has the problem. It's Windows 10 now, was 8.1, but I've tried many things.

*To add... the reason I have a new laptop is because the graphics card (integrated) kinda messes up and now flutters on that year old Laptop. I bought it to run Win7 and for TS2... Just to let you know, yours might run hot- Mine did and I have a cooling pad but I wasn't careful enough. :(
    I had thought I set the game to run on the NVidia card but it must have changed on an update or something. :(
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I had a laptop with Windows 7, dual graphics (one was NVidia) that didn't have a problem with the shadows indoors. It was so Awesome. . . but my new laptop has the problem. It's Windows 10 now, was 8.1, but I've tried many things.

*To add... the reason I have a new laptop is because the graphics card (integrated) kinda messes up and now flutters on that year old Laptop. I bought it to run Win7 and for TS2... Just to let you know, yours might run hot- Mine did and I have a cooling pad but I wasn't careful enough. :(
    I had thought I set the game to run on the NVidia card but it must have changed on an update or something. :(

I can check the temperatures using Afterburner, but I can't imagine modern Intel cards struggling with a game from 2004. My laptop doesn't really feel hot when I play, and it doesn't suffer from performance issues. I'll be careful though. :)

Sorry to hear that you still have the problem. I don't know what exactly causes it, but maybe it'll go away for everyone eventually. I hope so. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't think it would either. I was so happy I didn't have that box for awhile there. Enjoy! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I'm monitoring my laptop with Afterburner while playing the Lotharios in the mansion that came with Glamor Life. Temperatures are okay. :) FPS is slightly less than 30, but I never even noticed until now, and I'm okay with that. :0 I think it might be anti-aliasing causing that.

• Options
    Great!

I didn't monitor it like I should have because it was an old game... and I did play some TS3 on it so that could have been the culprit. I mostly played TS2 because it looked best on it. XD