The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something isn't adding up!

Comments

• Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    They are a business. They hire people to make these items, so they have to also pay those people. Modders do this on their own, no one hired them to.
  • Options
    UltraviolenxeUltraviolenxe Posts: 96 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Why is EA charging $10 for "spooky stuff", when that stuff can easily be given to us for free? I mean when a CC creator makes an entire Halloween set with 30+ objects for FREE (http://modthesims.info/d/196246), then why is EA charging us $10 for less objects? I guess you could probably argue that it brings new gameplay, but still don't think carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating is worth $10. EA should really learn from the modding community. This is just getting out of hand.

EA is a company. Companies have to make money or they go out of business.
    They can make money without milking their customers and charging for objects that were previously given to us in a patch.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Why is EA charging $10 for "spooky stuff", when that stuff can easily be given to us for free? I mean when a CC creator makes an entire Halloween set with 30+ objects for FREE (http://modthesims.info/d/196246), then why is EA charging us $10 for less objects? I guess you could probably argue that it brings new gameplay, but still don't think carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating is worth $10. EA should really learn from the modding community. This is just getting out of hand.

They can make money without milking their customers and charging for objects that were previously given to us in a patch.

I'm sorry $10 is such a burden for you.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    There is something rewarding when you first make your own CC in the game. I made a bed recolor and just makes me appreciate the work put into the game finding how challenging it is just to recolor an object and have it look right. So I would highly suggest to anyone to at least try to make your own CC at least once. Modding is more challenging, but CC creation has a lot of tools available even for beginners.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Krish_Krish_ Posts: 116 Member

Honey, when it comes to money, any amount is a burden. To some people $10 is too much to be spending on a game.

First world problems smh.
    It's me @natashified returning :)

When will the flop era end? 2014-????
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Why do so many people expect things for free? This is their job, the way they support themselves. Would you work for free? Would you go in on the weekend and do your job for free? Hey Doc, how about a free operation or teeth cleaning, or asking a mechanic for a free oil change just because. If they give us something for free, it's a gift. You don't demand free gifts, it makes you look spoiled. Pay for it and get it or don't. This sense of entitlement is wearing thin.

I expect a high quality product, if I am to be charged for something. I think a Halloween party stuff pack is completely pointless to my game, so I will refrain from buying it. The whole pack is very reminiscent to the free holiday stuff we got last year, which seemed to be about the same quality minus "new gameplay". From what we've been told, they plan to bring new content into the game monthly, I would have assumed that meant adding in useful content. However, I now see that instead of holiday "gifts" we are going to get that same content with a $10 price tag slapped onto it. Halloween content is not worth $10 to me, and quite frankly the more low quality stuff they release the less frivolous I will be with my purchasing.
  • Options
    LadyLindsay26LadyLindsay26 Posts: 151 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    And apart from this: they also give things for free, in patches. Like a jealousy trait.

And the incest bug?

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Show me something, anything that is COMPLETELY NEW PROGRAMMING, from the modding community that does not rely on or adjust the existing programming that was created by Maxis and I'll agree with you. Modders and CC makers ARE NOT creating a game or new interactions or new game play. They are just adjusting or "re-skinning" what is already there. And should you find this individual(s) programming entirely new sections of the game ask them why they haven't fixed culling (not blocked it or turned it off- fixed it) and opened up the world for us. That's why new stuff costs and I think the price is entirely reasonable, I just skipped lunch at McDonald's today, so I'm healthier and with the money next Thursday I have something new to add to the game.
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    They gave us a pretty good patch that contained more interactions and a new trait. They have to sell stuff to make a profit, otherwise they would go out of business. I buy content from EA because I feel it's safer than free mods. Not everything is a freebee. jmo
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member

This should be more of a patch thing. Not at all worth $10 IMO.

Because at least one person who doesn't celebrate Halloween would post on here and rant about how offended they were having this shoved into their game.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    Ravager619 wrote: »

Because at least one person who doesn't celebrate Halloween would post on here and rant about how offended they were having this shoved into their game.
    The Holiday pack last year was optional. People were ok with that. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Krish_ wrote: »

Honey, when it comes to money, any amount is a burden. To some people $10 is too much to be spending on a game.

First world problems smh.

Well, then they shouldn't be buying the game. I totally get it. I have to budget to afford my entertainment. That's why I don't buy what doesn't appeal to me. But I don't complain that stuff should be free. I look at what is being offered, and make the decision: worth it or not worth it. This is what grownups do.

Honey?
  • Options

Well, then they shouldn't be buying the game. I totally get it. I have to budget to afford my entertainment. That's why I don't buy what doesn't appeal to me. But I don't complain that stuff should be free. I look at what is being offered, and make the decision: worth it or not worth it. This is what grownups do.

Honey?
    Always makes me giggle when TS4 players don't support others for buying the game. ;) I hope this isn't said to support illegal practices then.
  • Options
    LadyLindsay26LadyLindsay26 Posts: 151 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Honey?
    Always makes me giggle when TS4 players don't support others for buying the game. ;) I hope this isn't said to support illegal practices then.

So them saying they have a budget and choose what they want to play = them doing something illegal?
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited September 2015

Well following that logic, all content they give us should be free. CC creators can literally make any kind of sets of stuff if they have the skills to do it.

Most of that stuff you linked is just re-skins. There is 31 unique objects but you don't know how much stuff we are getting in Spooky Stuff. There is usually somewhere around 40+. Most of it will be costumes again, I'm sure, but then again that is what Halloween is about...so...

what exactly is your point?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Honey?

So them saying they have a budget and choose what they want to play = them doing something illegal?
    Suggesting not buying the game. Probably a poor joke for me to make. But it is like if you like a game, wouldn't you want the game to be supported by other Simmers? It is like do people want the game to last five years or not? It just seems like a negative word of mouth to tell others not to play the game or support it or how to handle their wallets. I think buying a pack is a personal decision. Some will buy it, some won't.

It is like some aren't ok with boycotting the Sims 4, but comments telling others to boycott the game by not purchasing a game is ok to do. Seems ironic to me.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Modding a game is a playstyle. The ability to mod and create mods is an optional feature provided by the developer for the game. It is an advanced playstyle for sure, but it is a playstyle.

Each time content is released for the game, not only are the developers providing content for those that play the vanilla game game but also providing base resources and assets for further play by mod and CC creators and those that like to mod the game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    Because modders are great and EA isn't, it's been like that for awhile now.

Maxis is way better than modders. o:)
    Better? they can't even fix problems in their own game and here comes along a modder that can.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,520 Member

Cause of the two new gameplay objects plus unlike other stuffpacks this one offers new interactions and a new Party type like gamepacks.

Had this been free it would probebly be limited to 11 items. I think The Holiday Pack was the only and last freepack we ll see.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member

They are a company, they want to make money, they're not just going to give us everything for free, when they release Packs and other DLCs they're usually content that costs money, we already got Holiday Celebration as well as almost monthly Content Patches, we're getting allot more for free than I think many of us ever thought. As for Custom Content Creators, that's Custom Content, it's not made by MAXIS, whose job it is to make content, CC has always been free as well, except for a very few amount. Well Pumpkin Carving, A Spooky Candy Bowl, Official CAS Parts, Official Objects and Interactions all with their own new animations is costly to make, even for a Stuff Pack and some of it(Pumpkin Carving and Costumes) have been requested by the fan base, until I've seen a CC Creator make a Pumpkin Carving Station of their own, with new animations, I won't find this as a plausible argument. Plus you're lucky you only have to pay 10 dollars, I have to pay 15 dollars.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,935 Member
    Karritz wrote: »

Without Maxis there would be no modders as there'd be nothing that needs fixing and nothing to put the mods into.

If Maxis produced games that didn't require modding there would be less use of mods.
    That is why I loved having Color wheel and CAST so much. I didn't need to use CC as much for the Sims 3. At least the Sims 4 saves in pregnancy outfit CCs.

I had no CC and almost no mods in my Sims 3 game until after Sims 4 was released and I stopped building for Sims 3. I still have a clean install on my PC if I decide to do more building for Sims 3.

I don't build at all for Sims 4 - I rarely open it these days. I do still play Sims 3 occasionally.
  • Options
    Mind you, the developers themselves created a patch for Sims 3 that includes a lot of Halloween stuff and we didn't get charged - because - it's a patch.
    That's what I'm saying! This could easily be patched in, instead of having a price tag on it. All these game pack, stuff pack, and expansion packs are coming so quickly and it almost feels like EA is milking this game like a cash cow. Most of this stuff could be patched in.

You do realize that content came out(in smaller and more expensive amounts) in The Sims 3 Store right? I don't know about you, but I prefer a bundle of content for 15 dollars over a 10 set of objects for 20 dollars.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,520 Member
    Show me something, anything that is COMPLETELY NEW PROGRAMMING, from the modding community that does not rely on or adjust the existing programming that was created by Maxis and I'll agree with you. Modders and CC makers ARE NOT creating a game or new interactions or new game play. They are just adjusting or "re-skinning" what is already there. And should you find this individual(s) programming entirely new sections of the game ask them why they haven't fixed culling (not blocked it or turned it off- fixed it) and opened up the world for us. That's why new stuff costs and I think the price is entirely reasonable, I just skipped lunch at McDonald's today, so I'm healthier and with the money next Thursday I have something new to add to the game.

I don't think so. Currently we have no halloween objects to reskin. These are new.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    And when everything that is coming in this pack and more was part of ts3's seasons expansion as only a TINY portion of the features that came with that pack. People like to say these stuff packs are less of a rip off than what we had going on in ts3 but I really don't think that is the case. I would totally agree that the ts3's online store was chock full of items at ripoff prices that had no business not being included in some expansion pack, but imo they are certainly doing the same thing with ts4. $10 a pop for one or two "new gameplay" items? Please.

It's not just two gameplay items - We're getting Supernatural and other themed Costumes available for Children and up, we're getting Build & Buy Mode Objects that are Gothic/Dark/Halloween themed - some of which have special effects(Vampire Painting and Tomb Stones) and 2 of which are Gameplay Objects - Spooky Candy Bowl which Sims can get Candy out of among a few other interactions I think - available for Children too and the Pumpkin Carving Station which will let us choose an assortment of different Carving Styles and I think three colours: Orange, Yellow and Green plus with a Masterwork Pumpkin the ability to infuse Emotions into them. We also get new interactions - the permanent versions of Trick and Treat, stomping on Pumpkins, Ghosts wearing Pumpkins on their heads and new party interactions for the Spooky Party, not to mention new Songs for the Spooky Station and Children will be able to partake in most of the content unlike previous Stuff Packs.
  • Options
    AnimastarAnimastar Posts: 342 Member
    EA has given us so much for free over the year the game has come out. We got pools, we got basements, ghosts, locked doors, half-walls, and whatnot. They didn't have to give what they have given for free, but you think they should give you a whole stuff pack for nothing? If it's not worth it, then don't buy it. Arguing that CC creators create more for free, is only going to convince them that they need to start handing out cease & desist orders. They're a business. Just because there are some freelance third-party programmers who don't care to be compensated for their work, doesn't mean that nobody should be paid for it.