Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something isn't adding up!

UltraviolenxeUltraviolenxe Posts: 96 Member
Why is EA charging $10 for "spooky stuff", when that stuff can easily be given to us for free? I mean when a CC creator makes an entire Halloween set with 30+ objects for FREE (http://modthesims.info/d/196246), then why is EA charging us $10 for less objects? I guess you could probably argue that it brings new gameplay, but still don't think carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating is worth $10. EA should really learn from the modding community. This is just getting out of hand.

This should be more of a patch thing. Not at all worth $10 IMO.
Post edited by Ultraviolenxe on

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Aren't mods for games always free? And the games are not? Why should EA give everything for free because there are modders who like to create things for their game?
    I didn't say I want everything free. I said when it comes to these game packs that consist of less than 30 objects, why are we getting charged? They should learn from the modding community in the sense that they give us more bang for our buck...amongst many other things.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Because modders are great and EA isn't, it's been like that for awhile now.
  • Options
    Ashley RoseAshley Rose Posts: 39 Member
    Mind you, the developers themselves created a patch for Sims 3 that includes a lot of Halloween stuff and we didn't get charged - because - it's a patch.
  • Options
    Mind you, the developers themselves created a patch for Sims 3 that includes a lot of Halloween stuff and we didn't get charged - because - it's a patch.
    That's what I'm saying! This could easily be patched in, instead of having a price tag on it. All these game pack, stuff pack, and expansion packs are coming so quickly and it almost feels like EA is milking this game like a cash cow. Most of this stuff could be patched in.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Aren't mods for games always free? And the games are not? Why should EA give everything for free because there are modders who like to create things for their game?
    I didn't say I want everything free. I said when it comes to these game packs that consist of less than 30 objects, why are we getting charged? They should learn from the modding community in the sense that they give us more bang for our buck...amongst many other things.
    Oh, I absolutely agree they overcharge stuff. But I don't agree modders have anything to do with that. If EA continues to ask too much money, and modders create the same stuff with the same quality, they won't sell anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheOrangeBird01TheOrangeBird01 Posts: 171 Member
    Why patch content into the game that not everyone will want. EA can sell it to the people that DO want it and will buy it. Like me (and it seems like you too!).
    tmKZ8py62rDk4.gif
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2015
    And when everything that is coming in this pack and more was part of ts3's seasons expansion as only a TINY portion of the features that came with that pack. People like to say these stuff packs are less of a rip off than what we had going on in ts3 but I really don't think that is the case. I would totally agree that the ts3's online store was chock full of items at ripoff prices that had no business not being included in some expansion pack, but imo they are certainly doing the same thing with ts4. $10 a pop for one or two "new gameplay" items? Please.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    Because people want to pay to have cartoon look to their game I guess? For more realistic look and better textures, CC is a better choice. I just wish CC hairs were more supported in this iteration. But yeah I have a bad habit of CC shopping too much. I managed to bloat my base game to 18.6 GB, so I have issues with that..... :blush: Taking pictures probably bloated it too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    Because modders are great and EA isn't, it's been like that for awhile now.

Maxis is way better than modders. o:)

Without Maxis there would be no modders as there'd be nothing that needs fixing and nothing to put the mods into.

If Maxis produced games that didn't require modding there would be less use of mods.
  • Options
    Why patch content into the game that not everyone will want. EA can sell it to the people that DO want it and will buy it. Like me (and it seems like you too!).
    They had no problem patching in Star Wars costumes. Not everyone likes Star Wars, but they patched it in anyway.

And no I don't want this pack. I could buy a nice, juicy sub for $10. Subs > Halloween items
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »

Without Maxis there would be no modders as there'd be nothing that needs fixing and nothing to put the mods into.

If Maxis produced games that didn't require modding there would be less use of mods.
    That is why I loved having Color wheel and CAST so much. I didn't need to use CC as much for the Sims 3. At least the Sims 4 saves in pregnancy outfit CCs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I understand what you are saying. But I am happy it was not a patch because I don't want any of it in my game. That being said, they could of made it a download like the other holiday stuff.

Have you seen the price of milk lately? 5$ a gallon where I am. Now that's crazy! lol
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    Some of us aren't going to love what's upcoming. Because it's not for everybody. Spooky Stuff sounds like something for a elementary school kid. That's who their catering to even though it says Teen but it's more Adults who buys the game.
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Why do so many people expect things for free? This is their job, the way they support themselves. Would you work for free? Would you go in on the weekend and do your job for free? Hey Doc, how about a free operation or teeth cleaning, or asking a mechanic for a free oil change just because. If they give us something for free, it's a gift. You don't demand free gifts, it makes you look spoiled. Pay for it and get it or don't. This sense of entitlement is wearing thin.
    Nothing is truly free. You have to pay the base game, so technically even patches are paid for already. It is normal for people to compare prices with products. People do it all the time at grocery stores. It is no different for the Sims. I think the DLC only packs are just a replacement for the Sims 3 store and I predict the Sims 4 will end up costing more than the Sims 3 overall cost was. Pretty standard since each iteration does regardless of content.

I never had a need for stuff packs even since the Sims 2. CC provided was enough to keep me happy and added more variety for my tastes. I'm happy the Sims is pretty mod and CC friendly.

Packs are usually made for people who want Maxis only made content. So they pay a premium for preference. I don't care if something is made by Maxis or not. If it is done well, I'll like it and a lot of Simmers have made awesome CC over the years. It just shows how creative our Simming community is. It is like if people think the Gallery creations are amazing, just imagine how much more so in is in the modding/CC communities. It takes creativity to a whole different level.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Why do so many people expect things for free? This is their job, the way they support themselves. Would you work for free? Would you go in on the weekend and do your job for free? Hey Doc, how about a free operation or teeth cleaning, or asking a mechanic for a free oil change just because. If they give us something for free, it's a gift. You don't demand free gifts, it makes you look spoiled. Pay for it and get it or don't. This sense of entitlement is wearing thin.
    Yes because a free game pack for a video game is comparable to asking for a free surgical operation.

Please re-read. I demanded nothing.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Why is EA charging $10 for "spooky stuff", when that stuff can easily be given to us for free? I mean when a CC creator makes an entire Halloween set with 30+ objects for FREE (http://modthesims.info/d/196246), then why is EA charging us $10 for less objects? I guess you could probably argue that it brings new gameplay, but still don't think carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating is worth $10. EA should really learn from the modding community. This is just getting out of hand.

EA is a company. Companies have to make money or they go out of business.