Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4, Transparency, and Boycotting

Comments

• Options
    AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

But that patent is only specifically on the Sims, right? I don't think they can actually patent the life simulation genre. Just like they may have a patent on SimCity, but they cannot block other game companies from publishing a city builder game, which led us to Cities Skylines. So perhaps we will have another life simulation game in just a matter of time. The debacle of SimCity 2013 led to Cities Skylines, so it's entirely possible this will happen with the Sims. A wise company would be looking at all this untapped potential and discussing how they can get us to open our wallets to them instead.
    They can't and yes it is for the Sims only. There have already been quite a few life sim games before. Like this game just got the greenlight to be developed and it is a life simulator game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422537663

that looks awesome.
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Of course I bet EA would shape up if they had competition, but life simulator and single player games is not the favorable market for the other gaming companies that want to max out their profits and get top games, but loose out to the Sims game and they are wondering why?
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited September 2015

But that patent is only specifically on the Sims, right? I don't think they can actually patent the life simulation genre. Just like they may have a patent on SimCity, but they cannot block other game companies from publishing a city builder game, which led us to Cities Skylines. So perhaps we will have another life simulation game in just a matter of time. The debacle of SimCity 2013 led to Cities Skylines, so it's entirely possible this will happen with the Sims. A wise company would be looking at all this untapped potential and discussing how they can get us to open our wallets to them instead.
    They can't and yes it is for the Sims only. There have already been quite a few life sim games before. Like this game just got the greenlight to be developed and it is a life simulator game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422537663
    lol awesome news and he really looks funny specially for deviance players i looking forward it, looks like finally maxis world gonna finally tremble and i want more concorrence much more we need make maxis tremble in fear and learn to really respect his fans.

here the game trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=131&v=4K7F3TnZ85s
    @Jarsie9 about single the problem is which the dvd in usa was censored in USA the game actually have sex scenes and was targeted to mature peoples
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles:_Flirt_Up_Your_Life
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_2:_Triple_Trouble
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    lol man this game really looks cool the ai can "disobay the player and get anger here the second trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=c18HulLgfQI
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    lol awesome news and he really looks funny specially for deviance players i looking forward it, looks like finally maxis world gonna finally tremble and i want more concorrence much more we need make maxis tremble in fear and learn to really respect his fans.

here the game trailer
    @Jarsie9 about single the problem is which the dvd in usa was censored in USA the game actually have sex scenes and was targeted to mature peoples
    Yep, since Sims 4 has been watered down with patches, this game actually looks like a lot of fun for deviant players. Apparently the Sims was inspired by this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Computer_People There are games like Kudos, Virtual Villagers, Nanny Mania, Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, and Supple in the genre. Funny there was even a game called "Get a Life". http://johnnybdesign.com/getalife.html
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Ellessarr wrote: »

here the game trailer
    Yep, since Sims 4 has been watered down with patches, this game actually looks like a lot of fun for deviant players. Apparently the Sims was inspired by this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Computer_People There are games like Kudos, Virtual Villagers, Nanny Mania, Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, and Supple in the genre. Funny there was even a game called "Get a Life". http://johnnybdesign.com/getalife.html

and we even have weather in game >.> hello maxis and seasons lol, the wedding scene was so awesome was really good the girl which rejected him was crying in the end that was priceless, that could be a game which maybe @sparkfairy1 could like to check too.

that pretty much show which EA can't control life simulation games the best they can do is check if that games will using something copyrighted in sims franchise and sue then for that and not for make a life simulator, i really look foward this game really looks fun and is exactly what i was looking for a game where the AI is really good and not 🐸🐸🐸🐸 where i can choose to help or make the life worst but they can live for themselfs with a strong AI, the only thing i need to check is the world if will be a small one or large if will be full of load screens or full open world

but for what i get for now will be like the "public space of the world will be open and you get teleported to the "inside the houses".

here a image of marriage
    marriage_1.jpg?1443059558
    marriage_2.jpg?1443059645
    the yellow girls was the one rejected him, when she see he passing she start to cry and run that was really fun.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited September 2015
    I can't do a quote without it needing approval - so here goes without the quote....

I use to play 'Little Computer People' and when I got my PC I said if a game for the PC were ever released about people I'd buy it so I was delighted when The Sims was released.

EDIT:

While I waited for The Sims to be released I played a game about dwarves. It was Caveland. I don't remember much about the detail of play but here is a You Tube link of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biI-nNHRSHk

I miss having it on my computer so I might try installing it on my laptop and see if running it in compatibility mode will help. It isn't too good just running it on Windows 7. It is an old game.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I watched the video and TGL looks cute. I would have to see the family play style as frankly, I don't really see the difference in play style from the current TS4 :confused: No kids no family; I reckon that all happens after the marriage, but without an example of it--I can't say whether or not I could enjoy a game like this (I love the 3D aspect of the Sims) But the story was cute albeit a bit hackneyed. What made me a bit excited though, okay--really excited was that if it does come out there will be a Linux version available!

If I end up liking that game... I will never be productive again. :scream:
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    We Spanish speakers and simmers continue being mad at EA for not listening to us. We plan to continue boycotting the sales. We aren't going to buy anything unless Ea listen to all of us. There's hardly any activity in the spanish forum, but you can follow our campaign in Twitter.

@Lumysims2000, I heard from @sparkfairy1 that there were some dissatisfied fans in the German forums as well. Before I learnt about your boycott, I thought that the fans who were unhappy with this game were mainly US players. TS4 sold far less units in the US than in Europe.

BTW: Thanks for letting us know about the boycott you guys organised, I hope EA will at least hear us even if they refuse to listen.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2015
    Both games are so old I want to barf

I am really annoyed here, because I think the gaming industry needs to get off the 32bit lockdown. Games like the Sims 3 would have had less problems if it was a 64 bit game, Also Sims 4 could use more memory, but apparently industry standards change little over time, until it cost them money or resources the standardization will continue to support backwards compatibility. This is the main reason why the Sims 3 and Sims 4 and all other games are still using 32bit, just in case by any small means that the games will load on archaic systems they will still get their money from it.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Both games are so old I want to barf

I am really annoyed here, because I think the gaming industry needs to get off the 32bit lockdown. Games like the Sims 3 would have had less problems if it was a 64 bit game, Also Sims 4 could use more memory, but apparently industry standards change little over time, until it cost them money or resources the standardization will continue to support backwards compatibility. This is the main reason why the Sims 3 and Sims 4 and all other games are still using 32bit, just in case by any small means that the games will load on archaic systems they will still get their money from it.

the problem is not the game market but maxis and they police to support "granny machines" and more like lazyness, during both sims 3 and sims 4 production many games already started to move to 64 bits but maxis refused to "update" they engineers during the development of both games then this happened, sims 4 for mac get luck cuz was developed later then is more easy upgrade to 64 when development the new game than upgrade a already working engineer (the pc one), they told which they are working on it but knowing "maxis" motto of "we are working" let's wait for more like 1 or 2 years, if they do that since they focus is more like released packs at speed of light than actually improve the game base.
    Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    Just signed your pledge. I'm disappointed and a bit angry with Sims 4. I have a lot of money saved that I wanted to spend on Sims games. I did not spend them on sims 3, as I waited until the end and got them at bargain prices. Now I am saving money because I don't like Sims 4 and it's expansions, so I spend them on other games that I don't have the time to play. I bought city skylines, and shelved it, just because of what EA did to SimCity. I bought prison architect, just because I like the attention to detail and the enthusiam of the developers.

I am the kind of person who actually has about 4 copies of Sims 2, kept buying them everytime I lost a disk. I bought everything I could and can say it was worth every penny and more. I wanted that feeling again... ah well, fallout 4 is coming, and they like attention to detail, might get that to replace the "get to something" that EA is offering. Right now I'm playing the FREE fallout mobile game and spent money on that just because I appreciate Bethsheba. I know for a fact, that I'm a consumer that EA has lost hundreds from, due to some of it's quality standards.
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Is lack of transparency is a good thing for Maxis / EA?
    Unfortunately yes it is. Just as it always has been for Apple. The purpose is to create as much hype about the product as possible because the curiousity that the hype creates will give the company a lot of free advertising and make many more buy the product.

If Apple hadn't created hype by being secretive then the iPhone probably wouldn't have sold nearly as well - and the iPad might never have become a well selling product at all. So creating hype by being secretive is often an extremely good marketing strategy.

EA has always done the same with the Sims game by never telling too much about which expansions they are planning to make and by only releasing information slowly and gradually. Thereby they created hype which gave a lot of discussions in the forums and got everybody eager to buy the games immediately when they were released.

Being secretive about the sales numbers now is of course a little different. It shows that the TS4 sales numbers are probably somewhat lower than the sales numbers for TS3. But if EA released them then the curiousity about TS4 would diminish and people would talk about those sales numbers instead of talking about the game. EA wants us to be as curious as possible and therefore probably won't release the sales numbers unless they are something to brag about - or until they don't matter very much.

Many other companies than Apple and EA do such things in a different way by releasing much more information. But that takes the hype away and their products usually don't sell nearly as well.

Is it okay to boycott a product that you are unhappy with? If yes, is it okay to talk about this?
    Yes it is. I would never buy a product which I don't like - and I also boycott products from companies which I don't like.

Talking about it is of course okay too. But I usually don't do it unless I actually think that I can force the company to change the product because creating negativity in a forum for no reason at all usually isn't worth it.

To talk about boycotting TS4 everyday until EA "fixes" the game by adding toddlers, shorter teens and an open world certainly isn't worth it because EA won't do it. Toddlers may come. But they are actually more likely to come if the game sells well because otherwise EA will most likely reduce the budget for the game instead of increasing it. Therefore I would never attempt to hurt the game's sales numbers by critizing EA and Maxis by creating negativity in the forum.

And in regards to the current state of TS4 game, do you "get it"? If you do, what specifically about this game makes you keep playing? If you don't, why not?
    I play the Sims Freeplay a lot instead. TS4 isn't really a bad game in my opinion. But boring things take much too long time and the things I used to use much time for don't. I never got into TS3 either. The only game I really liked was TS2 which I played for hours every day in about two years. But then I also stopped playing TS2 and neither TS3 nor TS4 have been able to get me back. I think that what made me play TS2 so much then was primarily the built in stories which made me curious. TS3 didn't have much of that and TS4 doesn't either. Another problem is that there are a lot of things which I am unlikely to try again because I tried the same ways of playing in TS2. So no. It is unlikely that I will play TS4 much more. More likely I will just wait for TS5 before I will consider playing the PC version of the Sims again.

• Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    We Spanish speakers and simmers continue being mad at EA for not listening to us. We plan to continue boycotting the sales. We aren't going to buy anything unless Ea listen to all of us. There's hardly any activity in the spanish forum, but you can follow our campaign in Twitter.

@Lumysims2000, I heard from @sparkfairy1 that there were some dissatisfied fans in the German forums as well. Before I learnt about your boycott, I thought that the fans who were unhappy with this game were mainly US players. TS4 sold far less units in the US than in Europe.

BTW: Thanks for letting us know about the boycott you guys organised, I hope EA will at least hear us even if they refuse to listen.

I assure you, there are way less in germany than in the US.The "don't buy if you don't like it"-attitude is already the standard answer used to drive critiques of the forum. At least the last time i checked.
  • Options
    KnightmareKnightmare Posts: 36 Member
    > @Lumysims2000 said:
    > We Spanish speakers and simmers continue being mad at EA for not listening to us. We plan to continue boycotting the sales. We aren't going to buy anything unless Ea listen to all of us. There's hardly any activity in the spanish forum, but you can follow our campaign in Twitter.

I'm a Spanish speaker too! And thank you for speaking for me
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    TGL looks like a lot of fun!
    Commenting on the latest news, Spooky Stuff will be the first pack that releases after I promised myself and the community I won't be buying anything else for this game unless something drastically changes.
    I'm being very active on Twitter supporting the Spanish campaign (after all, I'm Spanish too) and letting them know that we, dissatisfied customers, have voices and are not taking any more of this 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    TGL looks interesting, cant wait to see where they go with it. To be honest its nice to see a game advertising sandbox play! <3
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    TGL looks like a lot of fun!
    Commenting on the latest news, Spooky Stuff will be the first pack that releases after I promised myself and the community I won't be buying anything else for this game unless something drastically changes.
    I'm being very active on Twitter supporting the Spanish campaign (after all, I'm Spanish too) and letting them know that we, dissatisfied customers, have voices and are not taking any more of this 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

My boycott has started with Cool Kitchen.
    All the developers are offering us now is clutter in the game. A clutter that will make a game full of problems become even worse over the long run.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Zola1016 wrote: »
    The site has hit the $20000 mark!!

woot, woot.

love your siggy!!
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

Patents last 16-18 years. Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131951/hey_thats_my_game_intellectual_.php?print=1

I'm sorry, but I can't get enthused about that game you're linking to. It's the hand that bothers me. That thing coming out of nowhere and smashing people and things at random. I can just see players doing nothing but smashing things with their hands. It may look like a life Sim, but I bet it ends up being just another rpg with goals and quests.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I don't play with the deviant play style so it does not appeal to me either.
  • Options
    Lumysims2000Lumysims2000 Posts: 410 Member
    edited September 2015
    @nanashi-sims some English speakers joined us on Twitter. As a matter of fact the picture of the toddler with a teddy, you have on the . GT Boycott Pledge (which we have signed) was created by one of the members of our group of Spanish speakers from different countries, but evveryone contributed to create the pictures. Some english speakers joined us as well, so I recommend to you join us when we set another boycott meeting. As for the Spooky pack we dont intend to buy it either. That should be free. I have some American simmer friends who arent buying or spending more money as they spent on TS3. how can I get a siggy like yours?

@Knightmare I'm glad you have the same demands as we have and hope to find you on Twitter supporting the campaign.
    I havent played for days.

Post edited by Lumysims2000 on
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

Patents last 16-18 years. Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131951/hey_thats_my_game_intellectual_.php?print=1

I'm sorry, but I can't get enthused about that game you're linking to. It's the hand that bothers me. That thing coming out of nowhere and smashing people and things at random. I can just see players doing nothing but smashing things with their hands. It may look like a life Sim, but I bet it ends up being just another rpg with goals and quests.
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I don't play with the deviant play style so it does not appeal to me either.

the deviant is just to show how much you can mess with the game if you want in the same way you can smash things you can help him to do the right thing, in one of the videos you see the characters trying to assault a bank, "because for him" assault was the most easy option" then you can make him don't do that and to the right thing.

the difference in this game for sims is the AI in this game the characters are full free will and aways will do what they want to do, your function is decide if what they want to do is the right thing, if a character is angry or depressed and start to just lazy and get fat you can change this make him want slack of that depression or get him more inside.

you can really be a god and do "miracles" in the front of everyone, they can even see it as a miracle or aliens as appeared in one trailer when the hand caught one of the in the bank and everyone noticed, some poped the ballon of being "god" orthers being allien abduction", that is a really strong and very well developed AI
    Key Feature

A.I. characters are designed to have a “communication”, not an interaction.
    Meet the goals A.I characters set
    It’s amusing to intervene in the lives of A.I. characters in a direct/indirect ways
    Environment variables affecting the lives of A.I. characters
    The Features of God
    A Variety of Interesting From Cross Multi Play

Detail Feature

A. A.I. characters are designed to have a “communication”, not an interaction.
    zhMflf
    - The decision making of A.I. characters in TGL is affected by various factors such as experience, knowledge, memory and personality.

B. Meet the goals A.I characters set
    HsQu8C
    Uid7y4
    - Each A.I. character’s external aspect is quite differentiated from one another for which option they choose.

- It’s fun to watch A.I. characters using various means for the same goal.

C. It’s amusing to intervene in the lives of A.I. characters in a direct/indirect ways
    a. A.I. Selection
    PWrq0B
    - A user chooses one A.I. character to help and can play the game as the character itself.
    b. Move Boost
    - 7qvesL
    - - If you guide A.I. characters to the way they are going on, the movement speed is up. But, those who have low stamina are easily tired and stop to take a break soon. Making them run can bring positive results like improving physical strength and reducing weight.
    c. Consideration
    tw9PUf
    - A.I. characters always stand at the crossroad, before doing some specific actions. A user can affect the decision making.

d. Accident
    h6505L
    - It’s possible to drop the piano in the middle of the road where A.I. characters are walking on to block the route and prevent them going to the specific determination.

e. Including Sleepers
    n8xIMX
    - When A.I. characters are in a deep sleep, a user is able to give them indications about what to do tomorrow. To make the function work well, a user should enter the command while a brainwave measuring device shows very slow movement.

f. Move Location
    GvRQLO
    - A user has an absolute power to change the location of A.I. characters. However, the movement is recognized by the target A.I. character and others in a close distance. Without witnesses, there’s no fuss. Even the moved one would forget about it. The more A. I. characters see the process, the more a user gets a risk of getting disadvantaged for direct intervention.

g. Hitting
    pt5aCU
    - A user is allowed to hit every A.I. character in the game. Not only the controlled one, but all the characters can be targets. When a user’s character gets involved in a conflict (a fight), it’s possible to attack the enemy.

h. Other Intervening Elements
    - All this, as well as a number of direct or indirect intervening elements are at an embodiment stage. They are going to be gradually unveiled in the news about TGL.

the AI is much more complex here than any sims game, with memory of pratically everything and that memory will keep effecting forever the npc, in the same way you can keep effect him yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top