Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cozy Corner Writer's Nook

Comments

• Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    That's a really good question @OJenn ! I'm definitely a lot less descriptive with my simlit, in fact, I barely ever describe the scene. It just doesn't seem necessary with the images. I usually try not to describe the things you can see in the screenshots at all, since in a weird way, it feels like repeating myself.
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    OJenn wrote: »
    do you find that you are more descriptive or less descriptive when writing simlit that makes use of in game imagery?

Good question!

For me, my SimLit writing is much less descriptive than other stories I write. But in a way, I really like not having to describe a scene in detail or what a character looks like. Instead I can focus on the thoughts, feelings, and actions :)

snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    Good points @CitizenErased14 and @ThePlumbob

I think the reason I got to really thinking about it is because I enjoy describing the scene, for me it's much like painting a picture in some ways. I often find that even with the pictures and amazing poses we can use some things are still missing for me in my stories at times.
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Do you find that you are more descriptive or less descriptive when writing simlit that makes use of in game imagery?
    I love descriptive text and I use it a lot in SimLit as well. I'd say that my descriptions are a bit different in stories where I have pictures that take care of most of the visual descriptions. I focus more on sounds, smells, tastes, feelings, movement etc. when I describe things in my SimLit stories, though I do have a lot of visual descriptions to support the images as well. With the visual descriptions I usually focus on describing how the point of view -character sees the thing that the reader can see in their own way in the pictures.

doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I tend to be more internal in SimLit--that is, I describe the internal states. I find that TS4 faces are so expressive, so I always want to provide a context for those expressions.

In my nonSimLit, I'm less internal in my descriptions: there, I'm very descriptive, especially of landscape, weather, gesture and movement, and I convey the character's inner states through the descriptions of the external world.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Nice question, @OJenn. I’m actually not good at writing descriptively in general, so I wouldn’t say that my simlit is less descriptive. However, I will say that I allow myself to be more okay with my simlit being less descriptive because of the illustrations. :/

I tend to write from the perspective of the characters, so most of the description is their own thoughts about a situation and less of their environment. I think it works for the way I write, but of course I would think that lol. I still want to get better at it. For those of you who read my stuff, what do you think? Could my writing benefit from more description? I guess it depends on the type of story too. Most of my stories are very casual, so maybe those don’t count? I’m thinking more like Discovering Juliana—a serious story.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    This lead me to the question, do you find that you are more descriptive or less descriptive when writing simlit that makes use of in game imagery?

@OJenn:

In short: I try to still be descriptive with my writing, but in practice, I probably am less descriptive.

Screenshots tell a lot on their own, so it's tempting to cut out descriptions. I know it's tempting for me as well, but a couple years ago, I learned that there are plenty of SimLit readers who are reading on mobile devices and/or bad internet connections. It made the most sense to give them a story that read well with only some (or maybe even none) of the images loaded.

I think if I never knew that/happened to pick up a different reader-base, I'd approach SimLit a lot differently.

Plus, I feel like my screenshots and my writing operate in two different points-of-view. I almost exclusively write stories from a limited PoV, but is there really a way to do that with screenshots? So there can be a benefit to describing something clear in the screenshots in writing, as a way to set the scene in whoever's perspective. (So...basically @Jes2G 's point :p)

But I don't describe everything in text. I'd be there all day if I did, and I like setting up background events that really shouldn't be described. I'd definitely have to take a different approach without images. But for SimLit, there are things I still try to describe a little, redundant or not. Facial expressions/"stage directions", scenery and objects in a scene, and wardrobes. The last one is because I put a lot of thought into how I dress my sims and consider it an important detail, and someone should have an idea of how they're dressed no matter what images load.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Jes2G wrote: »
    Nice question, @OJenn. I’m actually not good at writing descriptively in general, so I wouldn’t say that my simlit is less descriptive. However, I will say that I allow myself to be more okay with my simlit being less descriptive because of the illustrations. :/

I tend to write from the perspective of the characters, so most of the description is their own thoughts about a situation and less of their environment. I think it works for the way I write, but of course I would think that lol. I still want to get better at it. For those of you who read my stuff, what do you think? Could my writing benefit from more description? I guess it depends on the type of story too. Most of my stories are very casual, so maybe those don’t count? I’m thinking more like Discovering Juliana—a serious story.

Discovering Juliana has just the right amount of description--I wouldn't want more.

I don't want more for the others, either, for they fit the style you're aiming at--and the internal approach works really well, I say!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    This lead me to the question, do you find that you are more descriptive or less descriptive when writing simlit that makes use of in game imagery?

@OJenn:

In short: I try to still be descriptive with my writing, but in practice, I probably am less descriptive.

Screenshots tell a lot on their own, so it's tempting to cut out descriptions. I know it's tempting for me as well, but a couple years ago, I learned that there are plenty of SimLit readers who are reading on mobile devices and/or bad internet connections. It made the most sense to give them a story that read well with only some (or maybe even none) of the images loaded.

I think if I never knew that/happened to pick up a different reader-base, I'd approach SimLit a lot differently.

Plus, I feel like my screenshots and my writing operate in two different points-of-view. I almost exclusively write stories from a limited PoV, but is there really a way to do that with screenshots? So there can be a benefit to describing something clear in the screenshots in writing, as a way to set the scene in whoever's perspective. (So...basically @Jes2G 's point :p)

But I don't describe everything in text. I'd be there all day if I did, and I like setting up background events that really shouldn't be described. I'd definitely have to take a different approach without images. But for SimLit, there are things I still try to describe a little, redundant or not. Facial expressions/"stage directions", scenery and objects in a scene, and wardrobes. The last one is because I put a lot of thought into how I dress my sims and consider it an important detail, and someone should have an idea of how they're dressed no matter what images load.

One technique you use really well is specific, concrete detail. Like you'll mention the kind of tea by variety or the pattern on the china by name, and so with just a word or two, you haul a truckload of sensory detail, context, and mood.

• Options
    It's definitely something, more description, that I want to explore in future stories since it's how I started writing way back when I was a wee one writing fantasy stories in my bedroom. But on the same token I don't want to scare away potential readers who may get bored with how much I give.

@InfraGreen - You bring up a good point though, and something that I had not really considered. Often I hear of, and have been one myself, readers who read on mobile and photos don't always translate well to that format. You've definitely given me something to consider.

@CathyTea - Hmm food for thought definitely, it sounds to me like your descriptors are more atmospheric in a sense? Letting the reader feel things with the characters involved. And I'd say there is something special in that too, it's really quite beautiful.

@Jes2G - Honestly I say write whatever way is more comfortable for you, I don't feel that you need descriptors since all your imagery is so beautiful. That, and I imagine it takes time to edit all those pictures.
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Jes2G wrote: »

Discovering Juliana has just the right amount of description--I wouldn't want more.

I don't want more for the others, either, for they fit the style you're aiming at--and the internal approach works really well, I say!

Cool! Thank you.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    It's definitely something, more description, that I want to explore in future stories since it's how I started writing way back when I was a wee one writing fantasy stories in my bedroom. But on the same token I don't want to scare away potential readers who may get bored with how much I give.

@InfraGreen - You bring up a good point though, and something that I had not really considered. Often I hear of, and have been one myself, readers who read on mobile and photos don't always translate well to that format. You've definitely given me something to consider.

@CathyTea - Hmm food for thought definitely, it sounds to me like your descriptors are more atmospheric in a sense? Letting the reader feel things with the characters involved. And I'd say there is something special in that too, it's really quite beautiful.

@Jes2G - Honestly I say write whatever way is more comfortable for you, I don't feel that you need descriptors since all your imagery is so beautiful. That, and I imagine it takes time to edit all those pictures.

It does lol. Thanks! I try to stay in my lane when it comes comfort. ;) I was thinking about this a little after I posted it, and I recognize that the story that has the least number of pictures has the most descriptors (even if it is more internal). I end up doing the most work on that story because it’s not natural for me to write that way, but I love to try! It was so much work I had to put it down, but I started casually working on it again about six months ago, and more seriously this month, so I’m excited to begin writing it again soon! It’ll be interesting though because I’m still going to want to write it descriptively, but this time I’m taking the pictures first so there will be a lot of temptation this time around lol. I’ll try to remember to let you all know how I get on when I start writing again.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    Anua92Anua92 Posts: 269 Member
    edited April 2016
    Do you find that you are more descriptive or less descriptive when writing simlit that makes use of in game imagery?

Wow I feel like I've been gone for ages. Maybe just because I haven't written my story. Bad me!

Anyways, to answer the question, I am way less descriptive in my simlit. When I used to write fantasy stories in high school, I would describe every detail to the best of my abilities. And even then, I felt like it left something wanting in the description department. With simlit, I feel like the pictures show so much (even though I am definitely very armature with the pictures) that description isn't needed as much. I am actually somewhat unhappy with River's backstory just because there aren't pictures, and my descriptions don't seem to be adequate in my opinion.

I also wanted to throw a question out there... Do you all stay on a strict schedule of posting, or do you do it willy nilly style?
    Personally I try really hard to stay on a strict schedule, but I also try really hard not to force myself to write so I end up deviating when inspiration won't hit.
  • Options
    Anua92 wrote: »

I also wanted to throw a question out there... Do you all stay on a strict schedule of posting, or do you do it willy nilly style?
    Personally I try really hard to stay on a strict schedule, but I also try really hard not to force myself to write so I end up deviating when inspiration won't hit.

I'm very much willy-nilly. For the first year, I tried to post every day, and I was pretty well able to. Currently, though, both of my jobs and my garden and music are asking a bit more from me, so I'm posting one - three times a week, whenever a post is ready. I find, for my own flow, I really need the freedom of responding to my energy. I've got enough schedules in my life, as it is!

• Options

In the past I have tried to keep a constistent schedule but real life last year was too hectic and sort of saw to it that the schedule I had was thrown out the window. I believe that with my new story will be more free-flowing without a schedule because in my opinion inspiration does not follow a schedule.

Admittedly I am writing the story way in advance this time around and hoping to start publishing later this year.

• Options
    @Anua92, Now that I've had the opportunity to get ahead, I've gone back to posting on a schedule. I like the consistency of having things come out at certain times so people know what to expect and don't get overwhelmed. However, I'm not so rigid with it that I kill myself trying to make it happen. Like, as of next week--I think--I'm gonna be out of pre-written chapters for one of my stories and I don't intend to do any writing for that story this week. It's cool. I have other things that need to be wrapped up, so I'll post in its place. So, the content could change, but I still post on a schedule. I even have a written schedule of what's coming out when so I'll know what dates are available to schedule things in the future; I have to be organized like that or I'll begin to feel overwhelmed with so many different things going on.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

I post willy nilly, I suppose.

Given that I don't use screenshots, it's far easier to post several chapters per day than if I did use them. And sometimes I can go several days without posting.

But it's really whenever I manage to finish a chapter, I suppose.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    Great conversation--sorry I missed yesterday's!

I am not terribly descriptive in my SimLit writing, something I'm really trying to work on. Not so much colors or facial expressions because you can see them in the screenshots, but just basic things like if there are birds chirping or wind rustling. Things you can't tell just from the screenshots.

It's funny--when I'm gaming and things happen, I have a gauge on the internal dialogue/feelings of the Sim, but when the time comes to write, I just want to write and get on with it. This might be where I'm at personally in my legacy challenge (over it!), so I want to get the info and the core out to the readers so I can move onto what's next.

When I write personally, I still don't use too much detail to set a scene, but I do focus more on it that in my SimLit writing.

As for a schedule...hahaha! It would stress me out way too much to have a schedule because I can barely manage to write right now as it is. If I felt like I had to write in order to publish something, I don't know that I'd get anything done!
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Anua92 I do stick to a schedule, but mostly because I am ahead in my writing and screenshotting :blush:

Like @Jes2G said, I like my readers to kind of know when to expect a new chapter (though sometimes I do post daily updates instead of my normal schedule!).
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @Anua92 I do stick to a schedule, but mostly because I am ahead in my writing and screenshotting :blush:

Like @Jes2G said, I like my readers to kind of know when to expect a new chapter (though sometimes I do post daily updates instead of my normal schedule!).

You know what's interesting that I just thought about? I'm not very concerned about when chapters come out from stories that I read, but yet I'm very concerned about it for mine. That makes me wonder if it really matters to anyone except me lol. Like, with your story, I know you're very adamant about letting us know when chapters come out and what not, but I never remember what you say anyway so I'm always surprised to see them lol. I check my email, and if I see one, awesome. And if I don't, that's cool too. As a person who loves surprises, not knowing actually works very well. :p

Follow up question for everyone... For the stories you read, do you prefer chapters coming consistently? If so, do you look for them to come out at a specified time? Do you remember all your stories' update schedules?
    forum_final.png

• Options
    I am not terribly descriptive in my SimLit writing, something I'm really trying to work on. Not so much colors or facial expressions because you can see them in the screenshots, but just basic things like if there are birds chirping or wind rustling. Things you can't tell just from the screenshots.

@aroseinbloom: I totally missed elaborating on this point! Thanks for remembering.

Screenshots are great for what is visually apparent, but no other senses are represented. I do agree that the most important descriptions in SimLit are for the things that can't be inferred from an image. Like, you get what your legacy heir's new date looks like, but the sound of their voice and the smell of their cologne is left to the imagination (or I guess the game itself for the former, but I honestly ignore the way sims sound in the game).

This does link into what @CathyTea said about my writing. It's a conscious choice on my end, to describe the ultra-specific things that ground fantastic stories in reality. Which, yeah, always tend to pertain to food, drink, and pottery. :p They're always what I'll refer to as "informed details". Nothing in the screenshot necessarily says that someone is having espresso roast coffee or using a Desert Rose tea set, but I can say so.

While it's easy to pick up facial expressions and actions in screenshots, reiterating them has become a habit of mine.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Oh, and I'll leave the scheduling question with a simple "lol no". :p

@Jes2G: I don't prefer scheduled stories. Nothing wrong with them, but I like the surprise of new material a lot! And also I don't remember others' update schedules at all anyways.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Like, you get what your legacy heir's new date looks like, but the sound of their voice and the smell of their cologne is left to the imagination (or I guess the game itself for the former, but I honestly ignore the way sims sound in the game).

Yeah! I listen to how they sound at first, but most of my characters have a voice and a way of speaking in my head that overrides their actual voice oftentimes. I wish you guys could hear them lol. I try to portray how they sound sometimes, but it's kinda hard.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    Oh, and I'll leave the scheduling question with a simple "lol no". :p

@Jes2G: I don't prefer scheduled stories. Nothing wrong with them, but I like the surprise of new material a lot! And also I don't remember others' update schedules at all anyways.

Ditto lol. Yeah, I'm thinking that may be the case for most readers. I think when it comes down to it, my schedule is more for my own sanity than informing you all LOL.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    As a reader I have to say I don't remember schedules either. I mostly rely on writers to inform me of when they have updates. Whether that is on the forums or even a notification from WP that someone has been posted. I prefer the spontaneity of new updates mainly because I don't always have the time to stop and read posts all the time anyways with my busy schedule.