Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The target demographic

Is it 10-15 year olds who think they're hardcore?
My current Novelcy and general blog:
https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    There is nothing hardcore about the sims.
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    This

latest?cb=20140827160403

Notice the little girl overwhelmed by the emotions
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    There is nothing hardcore about the sims.

well apparently the developers want it to be like Jersey Shore or some stupid drama where everybody thinks they are awesome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    My 15 year old gave Sims 4 a go during the free trial. Afterward, I asked her if she wanted me to add it to her birthday/Christmas wish list.

"Nope, Mom, it's not really all that much fun." and went back to playing Sims 2 UC.
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    i wish ea would love me like they love a 10-year-old. uhm... nevermind.
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    My 15 year old gave Sims 4 a go during the free trial. Afterward, I asked her if she wanted me to add it to her birthday/Christmas wish list.

"Nope, Mom, it's not really all that much fun." and went back to playing Sims 2 UC.

Of course, I didn't mean all 10-15 year olds, there are many with good taste in games. I mean the facebook/Instagram addicted, partying, bro ones.
  • Options
  • Options
    DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    I was 12 years old when my parents bought me the sims 1. I used to love the sims 1. *-* But I'm not 12 anymore, the sims 4 is just meh. u.u
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Let's not insult the children :) This game is obviously meant for college partying type people. :#
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I would think the people (kids or otherwise) who are actually into the whole bro party vibe probably have zero interest in the sims anyway so I don't really know who they think they are marketing toward. I feel like its some made up demographic who does not actually exist.
  • Options
  • Options
    LuciferMongooseLuciferMongoose Posts: 123 Member
    Let's not insult the children :) This game is obviously meant for college partying type people. :#

If that were the case, they'd have ACTUAL alcohol instead of the "juice" excuse. I'd say they're targeting 10 year olds at a mean age at this point :|
  • Options
    stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2015
    I read a few years back(I think from a guru) - during the sims 3 years - that the average age of who plays the game is 18.

Okay, after I typed the above comment, I decided to see if I could find any credible articles on it that didn't include my memory.

This is from 2010, around the sims 3 time and says the average simmer was a teenage girl, but the age was increasing and more adults were playing. I'm assuming it has only increased, including because sims fans tend to be loyal and many will grow up with the game, which is also what the article hints at.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/10/26/sims.anniversary/

This next article might be interesting to some, from 2014: it says that the average gamer is no longer the stereotypical teen boy, but adult women, and most aren't playing Facebook games like many would assume.

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    I would think the people (kids or otherwise) who are actually into the whole bro party vibe probably have zero interest in the sims anyway so I don't really know who they think they are marketing toward. I feel like its some made up demographic who does not actually exist.

Some ppl might like to have their sims live a very different lifestyle than their own. My sims are never exactly like me and I sometimes have them do things that I'd never be interested in in real life. You're controlling miniature ppl and they don't have to do things that only u are interested in IRL. And yes I've had sims do the party lifestyle and gamble and I don't do those things in real life.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Well, I don't like it...
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member

sounds about right to me
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I think there are more young adults all the way up to Senior citizens that play the sims than 10-15 year old kids.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member

Some ppl might like to have their sims live a very different lifestyle than their own. My sims are never exactly like me and I sometimes have them do things that I'd never be interested in in real life. You're controlling miniature ppl and they don't have to do things that only u are interested in IRL. And yes I've had sims do the party lifestyle and gamble and I don't do those things in real life.

My thought was just that (and I'm probably wrong. I don't know, just sitting here making assumptions) people who have the type of mindset they seem to be targeting don't seem like the type of people who would be all that interested in a game like the sims overall.

• Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't think it is targeted at any particular age group but more of a particular mindset. Whatever that mindset is, I don't think it includes me. :(

I agree with this. If it's targeted age was around 18-25, that's pretty much in my age bracket. However so far, it's not the type of things that i'd do (I used to at one point, but the party scene got reallly old lol). Not to mention, not every teen girl plays the epic party scene, I know this not only because i used to be a teenage simmer, but also many simmers who I live around me or were in other schools were also family players and legacy players. And Yet in the same token i know older much older simmers who enjoy the party life.

So the way I see it, it's defiantly not an age, it's a mindset. As one of the simgurus said in the Get Together review, it's the "Single Sim Experience"
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I might have typos because I'm on my phone + autocorrect.

I don't get it. They target toward the type of ppl who play the game. For example, if they find out that their average simmer is a 9 year old girl then they'll make the game more appealing to that subgroup. If that changes 9 years later then they'll change their marketing and possibly the game to fit what they think their demo wants. Is it fool proof? Of course not, but hopefully they get it more right than wrong, and sometimes they might completely miss the mark. I think they've missed the mark with the sims 4, but I don't think it's because of a party pack or having a bros trait, because they're not making u play with them.

As for the bros and partying stuff, it's not something that appeals to me in my personal life, but the fun thing abt the sims is that I can have them do things that I don't do in my real life, so I like the variety. I'm not a huge fan of bros in particular, but many of my sims have had that trait just for the variety. I'm probably outside of the age of the average simmer, I don't know because I couldn't find recent stats, but as a simmer, I want the variety. I'm fine with it simply because they don't force me to play that way. I hate all the different walks even more, but I'm fine with them being in the game as long as I don't have to choose them, and sometimes I do choose them just for more variety with my sims.

Overall, EA's marketing team has to be full of dummy's if they're targeting the wrong age group. As much as I hate EA, that's probably not the case. They know a lot about the type of ppl who play the game, everything from how you play (because ur game sends that info back to them), to the average age, sex, race, etc and this info is had through many means, including user surveys to focus groups to the feedback they get + the info ur game sends them. But when it comes to determining exactly what their average gamer wants, it's not an exact science and they can get it all wrong.

And after all this, maybe I've still missed the point of what ur saying. Your saying that they're targeting the wrong ppl?? But that would assume they don't know who plays the game, and there is something for everyone in the sims, whether ur their average simmer or not. So if it doesn't appeal to u then maybe something else will. Personally I'm fine with it and I don't have that mindset at all, lol. I don't think u need that mindset IRL in order to enjoy those packs and traits.

I'm not defending this crap that's called the sims 4. I hate this game and haven't played in a few months, but I do defend the right for them to offer a variety of lifestyles in the game for me to choose from when creating my sim. That's important to me as someone who likes to create different types of sims, most of whom are very different than me. The creative freedom in having different types of game play and different types of sims. I hear very few complaints about this, not anything that's loud and en mass to garner attention, so I assume most simmers don't have a problem with having those choices for their game as long as it's not forced on them.

Ugh. Sorry this turned out so long, haha.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Teresita wrote: »
    This

latest?cb=20140827160403

Notice the little girl overwhelmed by the emotions
    LOL my sides! :D
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    For some reason I thought this was going to be about Target ending their categorization by gender lol
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    to me it seems like the bro trait have influented every basic interaction... even for not bro sims..... makes it a bit hard to avoid... and makeing it look like that mind set is defently part of EA's target demografic. combinde with the constant YA and party focus (atleast in what they show, but also do to the lack of family play in the base game) it makes me think the movie version of frat boys....
    if you then ad that they don't fix bugs like the incest one.... well what does that say about their viuw of who it is ok to wohoo with?
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳