Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gaming Laptops

So I have recently decided to invest into a gaming laptop that will be completely dedicated to I the Sims 4! (I know that may sound crazy to some but I really love my Sims haha) I truly know very little when it comes to computer software and things like that so the first place I wanted to go to was the forums. I don't want to make the wrong investment. I would really like some advice. I know a gaming laptop may or may not be necessary but I would definitely feel more comfortable with one until persuaded otherwise? A desktop computer is not an option because I do live at home and there's no room unfortunately.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Lenovo Y50:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Use the coupon code listed and you will receive a discount; Lenovo also offers free shipping.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    AmeracisAmeracis Posts: 12 New Member
    edited August 2015
    > @Colton147147 said:
    > Lenovo Y50:
    > Use the coupon code listed and you will receive a discount; Lenovo also offers free shipping.

I will definitely look into it
  • Options
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited August 2015
    Ameracis wrote: »
    > @Colton147147 said:
    > Lenovo Y50:
    > Use the coupon code listed and you will receive a discount; Lenovo also offers free shipping.

I will definitely look into it

I would not recommend Lenovo. Better gaming laptops MSI or ASUS rog or cyberpower custom laptop if in the US or UK. Look for a laptop with an Nvidia GTX 860m or 960m ideo card. processor i7 HQ or MQ and 8gb of computer ram.

• Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Ameracis wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I would not recommend Lenovo. Better gaming laptops MSI or ASUS rog or cyberpower custom laptop if in the US or UK. Look for a laptop with an Nvidia GTX 860m or 960m ideo card. processor i7 HQ or MQ and 8gb of computer ram.

Okay
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Definitely will look into the ASUS ROG, I've followed a similar recent post and I think it might be my best bet.
    Any ideas on Alien?
  • Options
    Definitely will look into the ASUS ROG, I've followed a similar recent post and I think it might be my best bet.

I own one and can recommended it. If you can go for the 900 series card over the 800 series card would be better. The 900 series cards are newer. I would not go below a GTX 960m card on laptop.
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > Definitely will look into the ASUS ROG, I've followed a similar recent post and I think it might be my best bet.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I own one and can recommended it. If you can go for the 900 series card over the 800 series card would be better. The 900 series cards are newer. I would not go below a GTX 960m card on laptop.

Any thoughts on Alien Software? My boyfriend is recommending it to me but honestly I feel like I should trust your judgement. I'm only going to play Sims 4 on it.
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > Definitely will look into the ASUS ROG, I've followed a similar recent post and I think it might be my best bet.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I own one and can recommended it. If you can go for the 900 series card over the 800 series card would be better. The 900 series cards are newer. I would not go below a GTX 960m card on laptop.

Any thoughts on Alien Software? My boyfriend is recommending it to me but honestly I feel like I should trust your judgement. I'm only going to play Sims 4 on it.

Alienware use to be good before they sold the name to dell. Now alienware is just and overpriced dell. My two choices for gaming laptop off the shelf when I bought mine were the asus rog or msi. I chose the rog only because at the time asus was offering me more computer specs for my money. Both MSi and Asus Rog would be good choices. Mine has two hard drives one being 280 gb ssd why I chose mine
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Alienware use to be good before they sold the name to dell. Now alienware is just and overpriced dell. My two choices for gaming laptop off the shelf when I bought mine were the asus rog or msi. I chose the rog only because at the time asus was offering me more computer specs for my money. Both MSi and Asus Rog would be good choices. Mine has two hard drives one being 280 gb ssd why I chose mine

Do I purchase a graphics card separate?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Definitely for the ASUS -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    And where is the best place to buy it from? Sorry I have a lot of questions.
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Alienware use to be good before they sold the name to dell. Now alienware is just and overpriced dell. My two choices for gaming laptop off the shelf when I bought mine were the asus rog or msi. I chose the rog only because at the time asus was offering me more computer specs for my money. Both MSi and Asus Rog would be good choices. Mine has two hard drives one being 280 gb ssd why I chose mine

Do I purchase a graphics card separate?

No. Its in the laptop . Are you in the USA? If not where?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    You do not need to purchase a graphics card separate.

The laptop will already have the graphics card in it.

If you want to take a look at Alienware, here are Alienware 15-inch...
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-15/pd?ndlvid=e7c-89cb6

EDIT: Alienware is not what they use to be though...
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No. Its in the laptop . Are you in the USA? If not where?

I'm in the U.S., I'm a 16 year old girl. I have little knowledge about computer software like I said. Where would I order or buy the ASUS? No Alienware haha I'm not gonna trust it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    You can order it online via NewEgg.

If you want 4K resolution at an inexpensive price (sale), you can look at this Lenovo Y50...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319110

Here is a ROG...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232404

The Y50 is better, due to it being 4K resolution and has 4GB VRAM instead of 2GB VRAM.

EDIT: The Y50 is currently a steal for what it is offering. You cannot find a 4K laptop at that price if I am not mistaken.
  • Options
    The top gaming laptop at present that beats all of them in testing right now is this one:

Asus G751J-DH71 (G-Sync)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No. Its in the laptop . Are you in the USA? If not where?

I'm in the U.S., I'm a 16 year old girl. I have little knowledge about computer software like I said. Where would I order or buy the ASUS? No Alienware haha I'm not gonna trust it.

This is no tax outside of CA, NJ, TN
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232404&cm_re=asus_960m-_-34-232-404-_-Product

This is also a good choice and has a New Gen processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152902&cm_re=msi_960m-_-34-152-902-_-Product

This is also another choice. No tax outside of CA

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fangbook_III_BX6-100_Gaming_Laptop
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    The top gaming laptop at present that beats all of them in testing right now is this one:

Asus G751J-DH71 (G-Sync)

I believe its Razer's Razer Blade Pro actually. :#
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro
  • Options
    Thanks!

Your welcome. I really like the MSI and the fangbook better than the asus rog because the MSi and the Fasnbgbook have new gen processors
  • Options
    Your welcome. I really like the MSI and the fangbook better than the asus rog because the MSi and the Fasnbgbook have new gen processors.

What about the Y50 4K? :o

Gaming 4K with the Sims would be awesome. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Well that one I listed actually was listed in my email this morning as topping the testing charts. I don't know if it has an official name or what - just copied exactly what they listed. Then watched a video of that one and a half dozen other gaming rigs being competition tested right now. There is another one doing well but not quite as good as this one by Origin. (Not our Origin - but the origin Manufacturer.) I know Razor did well last year or was it the year before but I think the Titan GTX card is making a big difference in this lappy.

I get a lot of tech email - lol - but can't even understandy why they send my lap top videos and such seeing I am not really a laptop fan. I'm a desktop powerhouse fan. LOL. Just passing on the info. I do know specs and this one has some nice specs

Here's the preview I got this morning -

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rog-g751-g-sync/

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Your welcome. I really like the MSI and the fangbook better than the asus rog because the MSi and the Fasnbgbook have new gen processors.

What about the Y50 4K? :o

Gaming 4K with the Sims would be awesome. :D

You need a really high end video card to play in 4k,You need really good game graphics for it to look good in 4k. The sims 4 does not have have intense graphics and would not need 4k. Its not a game for 4k. My son was playing original tomb raider and spyro on our 1080p 42" Tv and OUCH It looked awful and jerky!!! I just bought a 720p TV 19" just to play older playstation games. They need lower resolution.
  • Options
    You need really good game graphics for it to look good in 4k. The sims 4 does not have have intense graphics and would not need 4k. Its not a game for 4k. My son was playing original tomb raider and spyro on our 1080p 42" Tv and OUCH It looked awful and jerky!!! I just bought a 720p TV 19" just to play older playstation games. They need lower resolution

Ah okay.