Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wish the phone would make noise when it rings

A lot of times I only notice the phone ringing as it's "ringing" the second time. I say ringing but really it just shows some sort of graphic effect, it would be nice if the phone actually made noise. There is a mute button on it but if that is supposed to imply that there is sound to be muted, then that's a big FAIL as the phone NEVER makes sound when it rings. I don't tend to look at my phone when I play so if it rings and I don't see the graphic, it's another pointless item in the game.
On a planet far, far away.

Comments

• Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I wish our sims still had home phones. I know quite a few people have only cell phones now, but there's still a significant portion of people who have home phones. It would be nice to have them as an option.
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    edited August 2015
    They still had home phones in Sims 3 but the only time the home phone rang was if somebody was going to die.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Edit to add - On the bright side, at least you could hear their cell and home phones.
    LOL, The flying flippin fingers hit edit and then typed in a new box, instead of the one above.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Yes, me too. I want home phones too(though landlines are hardly used anymore in rl anyways) and when people knock on my door, I would like the sound to be louder because I can't ever hear it. I find to many times people just standing at my door and I have no idea how long they have been there.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    This is kind of funny :D All this time I can't remember any of my sims receiving a phone call. I wonder if they have been all along and I just never heard it?
  • Options
    I know I certainly have missed my share of phone calls, and even if I don't, by the time I pause the game so I can find the right person to click on and then actually click on the phone, it's usually too late.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    What about a no phones option? I feel like I'm the only person in the world without a phone lol
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    @Prink34320, No Phone? How did you manage that in game?
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Ethyrdude wrote: »

Huh, oh no lol I was suggesting why not a no phones option because I literally don't have a phone.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Ethyrdude wrote: »

Huh, oh no lol I was suggesting why not a no phones option because I literally don't have a phone.

I would love they didn't come equipped with one. It ruins fantasy play in both the TS3 and TS4. And they should have to spend money to get one in a store. Not buyable in buy mode. >:)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Yes, I was kinda surprised in 3 as well when I didn't have to buy a phone unless I wanted one on the wall or on the end table.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    so even phones don't make a sound?

That is the most daft thing I have heard since I found out the removed the doorbell sound!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

That is the most daft thing I have heard since I found out the removed the doorbell sound!

It has a ringer but the sound is hardly noticeable and why it has FX effects in the Sim panel.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

It has a ringer but the sound is hardly noticeable and why it has FX effects in the Sim panel.

Ridiculous
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Ridiculous

I sometimes wondered if I had accidentally set their cell on vibration or something. lol I can't hear it, either nine times out of ten.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member

wait the doorbell don't ring?
    nor does the phone thats just plain stupide

and yea it be great if sims didn't just have a cellphone from they become kids..... I like to have to buy it... I also find it sad there is no landline... ok hardly ever used it in sims3, except for deco... but would have if they also had to buy the cellphone (then my sim kids would at earlist get a cell when teens... unless very rich parents)

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    PlayPlay Posts: 704 Member
    I miss
    I wish our sims still had home phones.

Me too! Exhibit A...

38542_120801091922sims1sinistermessages.jpg

:lol:
  • Options
    @TS2MichaelD: LOL, I remember getting those, the first time I got the dreaded "They're coming soon..." message, I was really worried about what might happen to my sim but after the second or third one I thought, yeah, yeah, so what? Now the phone is silent, or at least so low that I can't hear it and they knock on the door instead of ringing the door bell. These seem like small nit pick points but really they aren't. I like things to happen autonomously such as having visitors or having somebody call but usually the only time I catch the call is when the so and so is calling for a date thingy pops up and as the dates are so messed up, I can go on for hours about that, but in any case I usually decline those.

So how hard would it have been from a technical point to add:

If phone ringer true {ring phone loudly and repeat more than 2 X}
    else if Phone ringer false {have phone do the happy dance with no sound and more than just 2 X}
    else {have person show up and ring the doorbell!!!}

Or something similar with of course the proper syntax and declarations.
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    edited August 2015
    Your sim is birthed into the world with 10,000 to 15,000 simoleons, or whatever, so having a phone isn't that much of a stretch.

I miss the landline, not the ringing phone which I always put on silent.
  • Options
    AxeEclipticaAxeEcliptica Posts: 370 Member
    Uhm.... They do? At least in my game they do... It's really loud and when I first heard it I thought it was coming from somewhere in my house XD I think it comes with Get to Work though. Like you get a really loud ringing and if you're playing the sim when they get the phone call you get a BIG word-bubble style pop-up with the caller's name and two big buttons to pick it up or ignore it, and when you answer it you get another pop up in the middle of your screen with the back kind of darkened and it will have a dialogue type thing if the sim is asking you to go on a date or go to a party. It doesn't happen all the time for me though so I think it only happens when you're getting invited somewhere which I think is really stupid because a phone ringing is a phone ringing no matter why the phone is ringing. It should all ring the same XD
  • Options
    Yes I have had that pop up too, but I never noticed any sound for the phone, besides what would be the point of it ringing if it pops up as if you answer it? I would like to hear the other calls that come in when other sims just want to chat. And I have GTW, as well as everything up to Perfect Patio Stuff.
  • Options
    anettesb wrote: »

and yea it be great if sims didn't just have a cellphone from they become kids..... I like to have to buy it... I also find it sad there is no landline... ok hardly ever used it in sims3, except for deco... but would have if they also had to buy the cellphone (then my sim kids would at earlist get a cell when teens... unless very rich parents)

It has been rare for me to buy a landline in TS3 but only because Sims have their own phones anyway lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    Sometimes (only sometimes) a pop up occurs when the phone rings. There appear to be two types. One above the phone icon with the photo of the Sim calling along with an answer or cancel option. The other is a pop up that says so-and-so is calling. It's not consistent. It needs to be.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    anettesb wrote: »

It has been rare for me to buy a landline in TS3 but only because Sims have their own phones anyway lol

thats also my only reason for not getting them often..
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    ShuffleJ wrote: »
    Sometimes (only sometimes) a pop up occurs when the phone rings. There appear to be two types. One above the phone icon with the photo of the Sim calling along with an answer or cancel option. The other is a pop up that says so-and-so is calling. It's not consistent. It needs to be.

There you go. That's the magic word - consistency.