Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lucy Bradshaw & Rachel Franklin talking about Sims 4

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited August 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    First time I have seen this. I thought it was very interesting and it certainly hasn't put me off the game in any way. Indeed, I actually found it quite encouraging, especially in the light of the nature of the GT EP.

They both seemed invested in their project and for me they have achieved one of their goals of giving me a set of tools where I can exercise my imagination.

I especially like the part where they talked about emergent gameplay. I have had so much of this from this game. I spend ages setting up the environment, the initial starting conditions to create new situations and behaviours from my Sims which I also love making.

Didn't see anything not to like here.

You know what, knowing you use mods to make these Sims 'better' so they aren't bipolar, and or the failure states are more like the TS2 with Zerbu mods installed etc. I find it funny so many use those mods, but then praise the developers for helping their imagination when it is the mods that are helping them obtain a more sandbox game as in the past, and correcting emotions, whims, and reactions to be more inline with the older games. I'm sorry but I just can't support anyone anymore who says how great this game is and it's potential when they have altered the very things most of the people unhappy with the TS4 are griping about. No, it's not a great game if you play it as intended. At that is the problem. It is linear not only with it's linear career directives but in it's model of how to continue it, with one focus on YA.

It's restrictive, reactions and interactions aren't there, failure states don't exist, and way too boring. Let alone no longer a life simulator simulation animations but slot popping galore.

Now, we had this discussion on another thread but sorry you should say "disclaimer" I have mods installed to change everything they did in this game so I can enjoy it.

& i also think those modders, if they have at least little self respect shouldn't be part of that TS4 charade going on

Is that simply because it's TS4 or some other reason?

Also are mods acceptable for use in other iterations?

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    I don't know how else to explain it, except to say that The Sims franchise has, (up to now) treated the female Sim with respect and has given the female Sim some challenges...Brandi Broke is the best example of this. My biggest problem with Rachel and Lucy is that they *don't* look at the Sims franchise from a woman's point of view. They look at it as a kid's game, instead of as being a life simulator; one that could make a huge difference in the way the life simulation genre is played.

The Sims has the potential to be the most addictive, most immersive and most popular life simulation game of the 21st century....if only the female part of the development team would go back, look at the Sims 2 game play, analyze the game play, actually *play* with some of the female characters in the game (I suggest you start with Brandi, ladies), and see what it is that draws women, in particular, and creative males in general to this game and provides hours of fun and immersive gameplay that neither group can resist.

Instead, these two ladies took the easy way out and they're playing with the boys...they have the same mindset as their male counterparts when it comes to this franchise. So, in my opinion, they've wasted an opportunity to prove to their male counterparts that women are capable of taking a "creative" game and improving it to a point where it becomes, once again, the best selling game of all time. So, yes, the fact that they are women in a male industry *is* very relevant. Too bad they lack either the courage or the desire to make waves and revolutionize this game for the better.

YES, 100% agree

because there are indeed in this world males, gay or straight, who have a way better understanding of women than some females
    to be of female gender doesn't mean to understand what it means to be a woman & what it means to live a woman's life

& it is probably one of the biggest mistakes of EA to be content with women participating in & leading the sims franchise development
    & to think that this will make a great development of the franchise - a big mistake

i am sorry to have to say that,
    but i think this is one of the main causes why this iteration is so riddled with problems
    females developing a game just is not enough to make a game interesting for females, it's not enough

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited August 2015
    OK. They have made software that INCLUDES MOD SUPPORT. It is part of the game. It opens up another way of playing the game. It is another way to allow some players to exercise their imagination should they wish to do so. It allows the player to customise the game at varying levels - either by using mods or creating them themselves. I believe that this is a viable playstyle. You may not. There we have it.

As for the emotions part, this will be the third time I have explained this to you - I do not use mods that affect the emotions of the sims on my main game save. I can control emotions, moods etc to MY satisfaction by using the standard mechanics the game gives me. My sims are not bipolar as you are fond of saying (Oh BTW, I am), unless I decide I can somehow do a mimicry of that and indeed am working on custom trait to do exactly that. That will be for me and me alone. The game lets me do that! I have managed to make my sims very unique by careful micromanagement.

The mods I currently use are primarily for capping population, locking doors, so I can put multiple families on a lot, prevention of object fading when zoomed in, quick access to editing in CAS, quick sim switching, making a darker progress circle, so I can see it, disabling some walks that irritate me and a camera/lighting mod and more precise control over outfits. Currently, I don't have one mod by Zerbu installed.

I do use a whole pile of mods, more autonomy, Affective emotions, etc
    on some save games I have for experimental purposes which also exercises MY imagination.

I also have save files that I can run that are pure vanilla. These I use for experimenting so I can see the boundaries of the base mechanics to give me a frame of reference for when I do add mods that affect gameplay.

I paid about 25 quid for the base game and it has given me piles of stuff to do and I have found it absolutely brilliant for MY imagination and I am happy.

I do get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the game as I actually play it, a lot.

i think the main question is
    do you get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the vanilla game ?

i hope you understand the difference between a mod altering an existing gameplay
    & a program that allows other programms to add gameplay in the first place to make that programm a game at all

& i payed 55€ for TS4, the initial price
    in the same way as i have payed for the first 3 games since 2000

it is hard for me even just to imagine what it means that this franchise come to the state where it is a lot wiser to wait for sales than to buy at the initial price
    & for me it is simply completely out of question that i could have waited for a sale to purchase TS4
    out of question

because this was until TS4 happened my main game, where i have spent most of my gaming money & gaming time
    to wait for sales just takes place in a completely different gaming universe

sales of a TheSims game means for me the death of TheSims - it's simple as that

if that is the case from now on with this franchise, then i just don't want to be part of it AT ALL
    if this is the wise way to deal with TheSims from now on then i not even want to play the previous games anymore
    why ?
    because this would cheapen my previous love for this franchise & my devotion

if things are that bad with this franchise that to wait for a sale of the base game is the wise thing to do
    then for me this is just simple the END OF THE SIMS as a game i play

then i move on to other games
    & TheSims franchise will be my past & no more my present

if the devs of TS4 & TS5 & all the future iterations (if there should be any) think that this is the right way to develop games,
    then i surely don't want to & just won't be a part of it

Some nice selective editing there ;)

i think the main question is
    do you get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the vanilla game ?

Yes, I do.

From my post above:

I also have save files that I can run that are pure vanilla. These I use for experimenting so I can see the boundaries of the base mechanics to give me a frame of reference for when I do add mods that affect gameplay.

I need to understand the state of the game in its vanilla state in order for me to be selective with the mods I need to achieve the desired effect in my game. The specifics of what I am after is irrelevant.

I just want the game to have things that it doesn't have in its vanilla state and probably never will have as some of things I want will be at the very shallow end of the bell curve when it comes to the general requests for the game. Mods give me this.

I get lots of emergent gameplay from all the saves I have for the Sims 4, whether they are vanilla or modded. The modded version provides me with more emergent opportunities that fit closer to the ways I would like to play the game on a personal level.

i hope you understand the difference between a mod altering an existing gameplay
    & a program that allows other programms to add gameplay in the first place to make that programm a game at all

I am not completely sure what you are saying here. Can you clarify?

I am satisfied with my purchase of the vanilla Sims 4 game and the subsequent packs (which I did pay full price for). For me it has been excellent value for money. I very, very rarely pay full price for a game and/or the associated DLC. More often than not, I will keep my eye out for a sale or wait until a bundle is released.

I paid about 60% of the full cost of The Witcher 3 - the same week it was released! If I can sort myself a pie and a pint out from my savings on the cost of the game, I'm going to do it :) For me, that is a wise buying decision.

I don't think selling games at discount and or selling bundles is necessarily a sign of something failing. I am not privy to the goings on in the marketing department at EA when pricing is set, but I would be very, very surprised indeed, if the pricing of bundles, sales, etc had not been factored in beforehand in the projections. Indeed, they may even form part of the marketing strategy.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Had to stop myself falling asleep in this.

I felt like I was watching a weekday chat show where people talk about stuff that doesn't interest me, and quit honestly, The Sims 4 doesn't interest me which is a shame as had this been about the older Sims games, I would have watched it 20 times over
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Sims with different traits play differently is she lying to herself or just the players.

Lol, yeah was thinking the same. Traits don't do plum when it comes to gameplay. But people helding these interviews don't seem to know the game that well anyway so they can just sell lies and lying PR talk.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Sims with different traits play differently is she lying to herself or just the players.

Lol, yeah was thinking the same. Traits don't do plum when it comes to gameplay. But people helding these interviews don't seem to know the game that well anyway so they can just sell lies and lying PR talk.

yea in sims 4 you can more or less give sims any trait you will
    it hardly effact their psoibel actions or skilling
    and it defently don't effect their emotions (atleast not in a way that isn't over trumpft by irrelevant stuff like a painting)
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited August 2015

TS4 team seems to be in denial that traits don't do EVERYTHING for sims.
    Yes it may give me 1 new pointless interaction.
    Do I care? No.
    I miss TS3 traits and star signs.
    I also miss TS2 turn on and turn offs.
    All the cools things they took out hoping we wouldn't notice.
    I miss the excitement that I had in TS3 & TS2.
    I could play their base game all day.
    Yet in TS4 it gets REALLY boring without GPs, SPs, EPs.
    They should be OPTIONAL not foundation.
    They say that the game is sandbox, I'm loosing the sandbox feel that I had in the other game series.
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    First time I have seen this. I thought it was very interesting and it certainly hasn't put me off the game in any way. Indeed, I actually found it quite encouraging, especially in the light of the nature of the GT EP.

They both seemed invested in their project and for me they have achieved one of their goals of giving me a set of tools where I can exercise my imagination.

I especially like the part where they talked about emergent gameplay. I have had so much of this from this game. I spend ages setting up the environment, the initial starting conditions to create new situations and behaviours from my Sims which I also love making.

You know what, knowing you use mods to make these Sims 'better' so they aren't bipolar, and or the failure states are more like the TS2 with Zerbu mods installed etc. I find it funny so many use those mods, but then praise the developers for helping their imagination when it is the mods that are helping them obtain a more sandbox game as in the past, and correcting emotions, whims, and reactions to be more inline with the older games. I'm sorry but I just can't support anyone anymore who says how great this game is and it's potential when they have altered the very things most of the people unhappy with the TS4 are griping about. No, it's not a great game if you play it as intended. At that is the problem. It is linear not only with it's linear career directives but in it's model of how to continue it, with one focus on YA.

It's restrictive, reactions and interactions aren't there, failure states don't exist, and way too boring. Let alone no longer a life simulator simulation animations but slot popping galore.

Now, we had this discussion on another thread but sorry you should say "disclaimer" I have mods installed to change everything they did in this game so I can enjoy it.

OK. They have made software that INCLUDES MOD SUPPORT. It is part of the game. It opens up another way of playing the game. It is another way to allow some players to exercise their imagination should they wish to do so. It allows the player to customise the game at varying levels - either by using mods or creating them themselves. I believe that this is a viable playstyle. You may not. There we have it.

As for the emotions part, this will be the third time I have explained this to you - I do not use mods that affect the emotions of the sims on my main game save. I can control emotions, moods etc to MY satisfaction by using the standard mechanics the game gives me. My sims are not bipolar as you are fond of saying (Oh BTW, I am), unless I decide I can somehow do a mimicry of that and indeed am working on custom trait to do exactly that. That will be for me and me alone. The game lets me do that! I have managed to make my sims very unique by careful micromanagement.

The mods I currently use are primarily for capping population, locking doors, so I can put multiple families on a lot, prevention of object fading when zoomed in, quick access to editing in CAS, quick sim switching, making a darker progress circle, so I can see it, disabling some walks that irritate me and a camera/lighting mod and more precise control over outfits. Currently, I don't have one mod by Zerbu installed.

I do use a whole pile of mods, more autonomy, Affective emotions, etc on some save games I have for experimental purposes which also exercises MY imagination.

I paid about 25 quid for the base game and it has given me piles of stuff to do and I have found it absolutely brilliant for MY imagination and I am happy.

I do get significant amounts of emergent gameplay from the game as I actually play it, a lot.

In fact if you ever read any of my posts when I am giving advice in those short threads where someone needs some help. I will explain exactly what I do, what mods I have installed and try and make my instructions as clear as possible in order to help others enjoy playing the game whether they have mods installed or not.

Anything else or do I need to ship a vial of blood over to you?
    I'm ok if Simmers want to use mods in their game. Just because the Sims 4 lacks in some things doesn't mean the modding community should be put down because of it. So I take responsibility for helping ModerateOsprey look for mods for the Sims 4. I mean it beats waiting forever for the Maxis team to put in a fix in the game that may never happen like what was done for the Sims 3. Modders helped that game out and they are helping with the Sims 4 sales too. Zerbu's mods alone I think have helped GTW sales quite a bit. So yes it's true Maxis should take more responsibility for fixing the game bugs, but until then, if mods can help fix a game, I will use them. I can't wait on Maxis forever to get things in the game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Arletta wrote: »

& i also think those modders, if they have at least little self respect shouldn't be part of that TS4 charade going on

Is that simply because it's TS4 or some other reason?

Also are mods acceptable for use in other iterations?

You are missing the point. I'm not against mods. Heck MATY's modded out every idle animation the Sims do in the TS2 and there are quite a few of them. lol But the point we are making is a player goes on the TS4 site to voice how great the actual 'gameplay' aka emotions, multitasking and rpg careers are. Then I find out two thirds of them are actually using mods to set the emotional state to Fine. (no more popping all over the place)...set the game to make their skilling easier so they can reach the top of an Aspiration, and the careers, set the game to turn Off everything in the game that would even cause a Sim to be happy..lol...like living in a house these Sims are happy but they are using a Mod so those things don't influence the Sim (more like a normal TS2 Sim) and all those other mods. That is the farce. And if you some can't see it then they just have to hate me. :#
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2015
    I can't listen to Rachel and Lucy. I have no respect for them as women gamers/developers/producers. They seem to be imitating "the big boys" and their mindset of this being a kid's game doesn't sit well with me. So much potential wasted by these two ladies...such a shame.
    Even Brianna Wu is a better female game developer.

Why do you both feel the need to emphasized the fact that they are women and they are in the video game industry? It's not relevant.

About the interview...to me is same old same old. I don't believe anything they say, they lied too many times and their speech is so corporate like that it makes me ill. Same goes for Ex-Broguru Ryan. The only guru I can listen too without feeling angry is Azure.

typos, typos everywhere...

Oh, yes, it *is* relevant, and I'll tell you why:

The Sims franchise as a whole is the first videogame to be embraced across the board by females of all ages. Most games are designed for the teen male audience; that's why they're so violent and have linear gameplay; with most games it's all about gaining skills, leveling up, and *beating* the game. That's not to say that young teen females don't play those kinds of games: some of them do, but they're pretty much in the minority.

A lot of young women prefer to play games about fashion (the success of Facebook and tablet "fashion" games is proof of that), and that's what appeals to them in the Sims...the ability to create, to create a character, and to more or less, have control over their Sims' lives in all aspects, especially in the romance field.

In short, women like to create, not destroy. Yes, we have men who play this game and like to build too, but it's different. For men, it's mostly about the mechanics of building. For women, it's about creating the perfect environment for their Sims. And, yes, women *do* like drama. They use these games to act out scenarios; they get engrossed in the game, and they plot out their Sims' lives.

I don't know how else to explain it, except to say that The Sims franchise has, (up to now) treated the female Sim with respect and has given the female Sim some challenges...Brandi Broke is the best example of this. My biggest problem with Rachel and Lucy is that they *don't* look at the Sims franchise from a woman's point of view. They look at it as a kid's game, instead of as being a life simulator; one that could make a huge difference in the way the life simulation genre is played. The Sims has the potential to be the most addictive, most immersive and most popular life simulation game of the 21st century....if only the female part of the development team would go back, look at the Sims 2 game play, analyze the game play, actually *play* with some of the female characters in the game (I suggest you start with Brandi, ladies), and see what it is that draws women, in particular, and creative males in general to this game and provides hours of fun and immersive gameplay that neither group can resist.

Instead, these two ladies took the easy way out and they're playing with the boys...they have the same mindset as their male counterparts when it comes to this franchise. So, in my opinion, they've wasted an opportunity to prove to their male counterparts that women are capable of taking a "creative" game and improving it to a point where it becomes, once again, the best selling game of all time. So, yes, the fact that they are women in a male industry *is* very relevant. Too bad they lack either the courage or the desire to make waves and revolutionize this game for the better.
    This post is so very much:

Bingo-89298.gif
    5JZ57S6.png