Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graham's Hot Tub Tweet - I just don't get it

For those who might not have seen it, @SimGuruGraham tweeted today that "Hot Tubs won't appear outside of Perfect Patio Stuff for a long time, if ever." This was in response to someone who was asking if they'd be available in future packs because he is unable to purchase the stuff pack online. While I appreciate that Graham was honest in his response, I just don't get the thinking behind such a decision. The developers were able to create functional hot tubs for Perfect Patio Stuff; how hard could it be to duplicate them and modify the aesthetics a bit for future content? They know that hot tubs are one of the big ticket items that players want. Why would they produce them for one minor pack and then shut the door on the whole thing? Why limit our options, and theirs? I hope that the powers that be will rethink this approach.
Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations

Comments

• Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited June 2015
    Digital only is one of the reasons I have quit playing TS4. Just don't have the bandwidth to support it. With my limited bandwidth any downloads for my S4 game costs me $10.00 extra on my internet bill, making anything I get digital costs more. "My way or the highway" seem to be the way they are going now. No options or choices. Makes me sad since I have really enjoyed the last 14 years simming! :(

typo
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    So the two styles of hot tubs will be it? Yuck. I would have liked more, since not all of my homes have the same decorating style. That also means no in-ground hot tubs, which is really disappointing.
  • Options
    mattandphilsims2mattandphilsims2 Posts: 136 Member
    They can't release hot tubs in future packs, because then people wouldn't need to buy Perfect Patio Stuff anymore. Hot tubs are the biggest selling point...if they give that away in other packs, they lose that. Once again, EA shows they only care about $$$$$$$
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @Cabelle1863 I can give you some good news there; @Weealbet has figured out how to embed them. Here is his tutorial.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Well, isn't it obvious? It's the major selling point (for many simmers) of the Patio pack.... :p
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Kristoff BjorgmanKristoff Bjorgman Posts: 284 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    For those who might not have seen it, @SimGuruGraham tweeted today that "Hot Tubs won't appear outside of Perfect Patio Stuff for a long time, if ever." This was in response to someone who was asking if they'd be available in future packs because he is unable to purchase the stuff pack online. While I appreciate that Graham was honest in his response, I just don't get the thinking behind such a decision. The developers were able to create functional hot tubs for Perfect Patio Stuff; how hard could it be to duplicate them and modify the aesthetics a bit for future content? They know that hot tubs are one of the big ticket items that players want. Why would they produce them for one minor pack and then shut the door on the whole thing? Why limit our options, and theirs? I hope that the powers that be will rethink this approach.

It would dilute Perfect Patio's appeal to have its sole premium item available elsewhere. Quite simple, really.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Thanks, @BryonyRae. While I'd love to have more decorating styles at least we have that work-around to give an in-ground look.
  • Options
    They can't release hot tubs in future packs, because then people wouldn't need to buy Perfect Patio Stuff anymore. Hot tubs are the biggest selling point...if they give that away in other packs, they lose that. Once again, EA shows they only care about $$$$$$$

Adding a couple extra different types in an EP would have been nice for some of us. At least for us who can't do digital everything. I agree all about money and making the most they can. I imagine the stuff packs will be themed with the items from the base game; Gourmet Kitchen featuring Dishwashers & Trash Compactors. :(
    If they do it the way your are saying then we would be stuck with only the original versions no themed versions. Limited much!
  • Options
    Terrylin wrote: »

Adding a couple extra different types in an EP would have been nice for some of us. At least for us who can't do digital everything. I agree all about money and making the most they can. I imagine the stuff packs will be themed with the items from the base game; Gourmet Kitchen featuring Dishwashers & Trash Compactors. :(
    If they do it the way your are saying then we would be stuck with only the original versions no themed versions. Limited much!

Having very appealing items digital-only it's a great marketing strategy for making people sample and switch. I was a disc-only player for 12 years. A huge origin discount enticed me to get an EP on Origin. The experience was great and I never bought a disc after that.

When hot-tubs shows up in a SP in TS3, many complained they were "ripped-off". So they are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they do and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they don't. Supernatural had many cool items. I never got the EP to avoid a flood of supernaturals in my game, but I understood that certain items belonged to that EP.

I could suggest a TS2-style Store where all Pack items can be purchased individually, but I think a thousand simmers cry at the very mention of a Store...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Having very appealing items digital-only it's a great marketing strategy for making people sample and switch. I was a disc-only player for 12 years. A huge origin discount enticed me to get an EP on Origin. The experience was great and I never bought a disc after that.

When hot-tubs shows up in a SP in TS3, many complained they were "ripped-off". So they are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they do and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they don't. Supernatural had many cool items. I never got the EP to avoid a flood of supernaturals in my game, but I understood that certain items belonged to that EP.

I could suggest a TS2-style Store where all Pack items can be purchased individually, but I think a thousand simmers cry at the very mention of a Store...

I agree it is the direction that gaming is going. The original question about the hot tubs was about those of us who can't do digital for whatever reason and or who have limited downloading, as like myself. Disc is the more affordable way at the moment for some of us. Cutting off some of their customers. Just so confused by the not only limiting customers but also amount and different styles of hot tubs in the future. No sims game in my memory has ever limited a item to a single pack UNLESS it was an name brand item such as IKEA or the like. Hot tubs and furniture have always had different themes/versions in EP/SP before.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

What's sad is in the past their packs would offer enough content and additions that it didn't need one item to sell it. This is worse than the store. Two hot tubs in the whole TS4 series? Sounds like very bad news.
  • Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    OMG! It's like EA really doesn't want this game to happen and yet want all the money in the world for it. lol

So this is how it's going to be? Their best selling points put in crappy mediocre stuff packs, forcing simmers to by them just to get those items that should've been in the base game/EP? I am so happy I only bought the base game for TS4 and only played it for 20 hours in total. I am not going to spend another dime or play another minute of that atrocious monstrosity of a failure.

The fact that I managed to secure the entire sims 2 collection when it was free, makes me actually not bothered at all that I won't be moving on with the franchise. I'll miss having the entire neighbourhood having the same time at once and not lot by lot, but it's still a better option than this crap of a scam!

R.I.P The Sims.
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »

They might want to keep the hot tubs exclusive to the pack.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    I think that it just means you will never get a jacuzzi if you didn't buy that Stuff Pack making said pack mandatory.

If this is how they market bringing base game items back, then Sims 4 is in a really bad place. They're making it similar to the pay-to-win motive that MMORPGs had or that you need to pay to unlock new gameplay options. Which isn't at all very bad until you remember that Sims 2 and Sims 3 are complete in bringing the necessary materials to get you keep playing. Sims 4's system is entirely different. You are being forced into buying as many DLCs just so your game will feel complete again.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Teresita wrote: »
    I think that it just means you will never get a jacuzzi if you didn't buy that Stuff Pack making said pack mandatory.

If this is how they market bringing base game items back, then Sims 4 is in a really bad place. They're making it similar to the pay-to-win motive that MMORPGs had or that you need to pay to unlock new gameplay options. Which isn't at all very bad until you remember that Sims 2 and Sims 3 are complete in bringing the necessary materials to get you keep playing. Sims 4's system is entirely different. You are being forced into buying as many DLCs just so your game will feel complete again.

Yep, they can't do pay to win in The Sims 4, so instead they've done, Pay to complete (which considering the price that was paid for the base game is ridiculous).

raw
  • Options
    Just so confused by the not only limiting customers.

Offering a disc for a content that cost $10 might be impossible. You need the disc. The box. Shipping. The stores carrying that product get a large cut. The way I see it, they decided to benefit the majority slashing prices in half than having us subsidise discs.

You might not like it or agree, I just don't get why it's confusing.

Having the hot tub a Perfect patio exclusive pumps its sales.

Having a digital-only version of digital content allows it to be cheaper overall.

• Options
    TiffanyLea007TiffanyLea007 Posts: 1,068 Member

What's sad is in the past their packs would offer enough content and additions that it didn't need one item to sell it. This is worse than the store. Two hot tubs in the whole TS4 series? Sounds like very bad news.

I have to agree. I did not like the Store that much. But I don't like the Game Pack idea at all. What I would have liked was a COMPLETE game. Then a subscription like http://www.thesimsresource.com/. But only if affordable but less than whatever it would have taken to get all the store items on the Sims 3. So you could download all or what you wanted as they released stuff each month. But the subscription would only work for me if maybe the base was free. Or no more expansions to buy. With the subscription you get it all. Censored quote of John Legere(T-Mobile CEO) 0 ********! Look up recent video he posted. EA needs a CEO like him for sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Just so confused by the not only limiting customers.

Offering a disc for a content that cost $10 might be impossible. You need the disc. The box. Shipping. The stores carrying that product get a large cut. The way I see it, they decided to benefit the majority slashing prices in half than having us subsidise discs.

You might not like it or agree, I just don't get why it's confusing.

Having the hot tub a Perfect patio exclusive pumps its sales.

Having a digital-only version of digital content allows it to be cheaper overall.

Because the cost of mass producing DVD's isn't that expensive nor is the brick & mortar stores cut. My uncle sell his own music and the cost is minimal. The digital issue does cut out all middlemen but also gives the publisher/distributor total control of not only the product but also data mining your computer. Info mined from your computer is listed in both ORIGIN EULA & Privacy Policy. Data collecting and sharing **cough selling cough** is a lucrative business. What better way to collect data than to require regular online connects?

eta; I don't think paying $10 for a hot tub is cheap. Plus said digital only SP costs me an extra $10 in bandwidth. So what costs you with your unlimited internet $10 costs me double. Some compassion for those who don't have unlimited available would be nice.
    And if the digital version is so much cheaper then why is this version of the sims $60+ ? Digital has nothing to do with price in this case. They charge more actually, if you go by TS3 store, because of the exclusive factor. So no being digital doesn't mean it is going to be cheaper!
    To answer the confused part. Why limit your sales? Why not get the fullest amount of sales you can. Making it available to all is only in your own best interest. many who wont buy because of digital only can influence friends and family only hurting the business and sales more. If it is so hard to do DVD at stores then sell them through origin on demand. Not that big an issue. I learned in business Never limit yourself or your product!
    Post edited by Terrylin on
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I apologize if someone already brought this up but I didn't read the thread.

I've been thinking about this for a while and at first I thought you all were just complaining just to complain when it was clearly obvious that hot tubs would be Patio Stuff exclusive. Like, it would prevent sales from Patio Stuff if they made more hot tubs for other stuff packs, game packs, and expansions.

But no. It doesn't. I just realized that it doesn't affect there sales at all. What difference would it make if more hot tubs were released in other expansions? You still have to pay for them. They are still getting money for it. They wouldn't be losing money at all. They already have the work done for hot tubs. All they have to do is change the aesthetics. That shouldn't take any developer very long at all. And when I think about it, it's called Perfect Patio stuff. Not Perfect Hot Tub stuff. So, following their logic, are we not getting any more outdoor stuff just because it would hurt sales for Perfect Patio stuff?!

No, this is just pure laziness on their part. I was really hoping that one day a Sims 2 Love Hot Tub would appear but I guess that's too much to ask for.

LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Because the cost of mass producing DVD's isn't that expensive nor is the brick & mortar stores cut.

They pay, at most $5 for a product they sell for $10. Because they have taxes and costs of business too. Throw in a dollar or two for the CD, packaging, plus shipping, that ate out 50-60% of those 10 dollars.

If you factor in worldwide distribution, it shoots up.

• Options
    Some compassion for those who don't have unlimited available would be nice.

Perhaps my compassion is with those who can now afford a stuff pack for $10 instead of $20 now that they have gone all digital.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Because the cost of mass producing DVD's isn't that expensive nor is the brick & mortar stores cut.

They pay, at most $5 for a product they sell for $10. Because they have taxes and costs of business too. Throw in a dollar or two for the CD, packaging, plus shipping, that ate out 50-60% of those 10 dollars.

If you factor in worldwide distribution, it shoots up.

Then they need to get a different company to do it for them. To produce a DVD cost approx $1.50 total, (my uncles cost)that's with the case and color insert. His store cost is 10% of sales. That is on a small production not a large mass produce like TS3. The higher the amount being produced the cheaper the cost. EA has all of their discs mass produced in Mexico and shipped from there. Much cheaper all around. Don't believe me look on your disc it says made in Mexico.
    No production of discs isn't the issue or all game companies would be enforcing it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Some compassion for those who don't have unlimited available would be nice.

Perhaps my compassion is with those who can now afford a stuff pack for $10 instead of $20 now that they have gone all digital.

If that is what you want to believe then good for you. But I do know for a fact that it does not cost that much to mass produce DVD's. Heck I can do it myself cheaper than you have quoted. Mass production of a million copies of a game I bet would cost less than .50 cents each doing it in Mexico.
    Thanks for your understanding and compassion. Have a great evening!

I have ran a business for 25 years the last 5 years being a Corporation. I do know business and all the costs of doing said business. I know the shipping and tax figures that you are,,,um,,,quoting and no they are not that high. I can tell you thy get cheaper the bigger you go. Ours being smaller didn't have all the bene's that a multimillion dollar corp like EA has.
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Thanks for posting the link to that other thread @Arletta. It's good to see that Graham realized the impact of his statement and is trying to mitigate it a bit. Let's hope that he passes the message all the way up the chain.