Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Hey! Player!!! I gotta go!!!"

Something I've wondered about since launch. It's a little thing, tiny really, but I haven't been able to come up with a good answer. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

When Sims reach the point of imminent bladder failure, they stop, go pigeon-toed, hop up and down, clutch themselves with one hand, and wave frantically with the other. Then they do that awkward (embarrassing) pee-waddle to the bathroom. It seems as if they are trying to get my attention (breaking the fourth wall, as it were). But why? Why do they need to waste time alerting me that they are in distress? Why not just, you know, make a beeline for the bathroom?

It's not like they can't go without my permission. It's not like I must queue it up for them. It's certainly not like I need to unlock the bathroom door. They don't do this silliness for anything else they want/need to do. So why the goofy "I gotta go -- halp!!!" animation?

I wish it could be toggled off (and take that ridiculous pee-waddle with it).

Comments

• Options
    SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 40 Member
    Eh that potty walk is embarrassing. I'd not mind if just the children did it, but age groups above them should not do that... Funny at first but ... Lol
  • Options
    jsnjsn Posts: 624 Member
    Haven't things like that always happened in the games though?
    tumblr_ntxblj8QDK1s6z4zdo2_250.gif
  • Options
    DameGiggsyDameGiggsy Posts: 416 Member
    Dunno... But it sure does crack me up.
  • Options
    hadklaxhadklax Posts: 467 Member
    I agree. But at least its not as bad as The Sims 3 when they woke up hungry and shouted at you for 20-30 sim minutes even if you had told them to go make food, eat something or where food was already served. Ironically, they had to stop eating to get to school and work on time because they spent so long shouting and waving at me!
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    jsn wrote: »
    Haven't things like that always happened in the games though?
    I honestly can't remember. I vaguely remember something similar in TS1. I never played TS2, so can't comment. I don't remember it in TS3. Maybe you're right and it's some sort of shout out to the past.

Still annoying :D.
  • Options
    haituvahaituva Posts: 266 Member
    edited June 2015
    It's been like that since TS1 if I remember right. They sort of communicated to the player that way, also in other situations.
    The current potty walk is not only stupid, but takes ages for them to reach the bathroom like that! If the animation was combined with half-running speed, I'd get it, but it's so much slower than regular walk.
    If they're in the park or another place where the toilet is far away, it gets really annoying!
    Post edited by haituva on
  • Options
    domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member
    Why? Hmm, because it's funny! :smiley:
    It doesn't bother me one bit. Normally, if my sims do get in such distress it's because I have had them occupied doing other things. If they were just doing their own things their bladder probably never would have gotten that low.
    wedding%2Bhobo.png
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    That's not a new thing. That's been going on since Sims 1. Sometimes, they will just go on their own, but they'll usually try to get the player's attention first. Why, I don't know.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    SpyroRue wrote: »
    Eh that potty walk is embarrassing. I'd not mind if just the children did it, but age groups above them should not do that... Funny at first but ... Lol

WHAT? I LOVE THE POTTY WALK. I think it is the cutest thing!
    11NYWoW.jpg
    7yqlYU8.jpg
  • Options

WHAT? I LOVE THE POTTY WALK. I think it is the cutest thing! ...
    Heh, apparently you and I are polar opposites when defining "cutest".... "Like" ya anyways :).

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I don't know about anyone else, but when my bladder feels like it's about to burst, I am not smiling.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but when my bladder feels like it's about to burst, I am not smiling.
    Sometimes I do if for example I have to make my way through a building like my sim is about to do. Like "oh my gosh excuse me im going to burst, lol."

• Options
    SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 40 Member

11NYWoW.jpg
    7yqlYU8.jpg

Lmao!! Yes well it is cute for the kids imo... But it's so wrong for adults think of all the secret agents, detectives, the criminal masterminds, CEOs, Doctors the night clubers ... I don't know why they all don't get the embarrassed moodlet for walking like a toddler XD
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited June 2015
    Why do Sims wave their arms at us when something is in the way? Why do they look at us directly when we tell them to do something? It's like they know we are out there! Sometimes it's a compassionate look and sometimes it's a you got be kidding me look. It's kind a creepy when I think about it. However, it is just a game that I enjoy! Not all questions can be answered. Maybe those looks are what keep me playing. Those over the should pensive looks are the charming touches in the game. When is the last time your Sims glared at you? Have you ever found yourself saying, "Oh, I am sorry" to your Sims? I have also said "how dare YOU! That was not nice." to my Sims. (I was playing an evil Sim)
  • Options
    I love when my sims break the 4th wall. I wish they would do it more tbh.
  • Options
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    Why do Sims wave their arms at us when something is in the way? Why do they look at us directly when we tell them to do something? It's like they know we are out there! Sometimes it's a compassionate look and sometimes it's a you got be kidding me look. It's kind a creepy when I think about it. However, it is just a game that I enjoy! Not all questions can be answered. Maybe those looks are what keep me playing. Those over the should pensive looks are the charming touches in the game. When is the last time your Sims glared at you? Have you ever found yourself saying, "Oh, I am sorry" to your Sims? I have also said "how dare YOU! That was not nice." to my Sims. (I was playing an evil Sim)
    Usually, when I talk to my Sims, it's me screeching, "What the bleep is the matter with you??? Just go to the bathroom, already!!!" Or "Quit canceling out the things I ORDERED you to do!!! Sheesh!".

((For the record, all this yelling is in my mind -- I haven't really yelled out loud. If I ever get to that point, it'll be time to find a new hobby. But I'll admit I have shaken a fist at them occassionally... What, you haven't :blush: ??? ))

• Options
    Lex2221Lex2221 Posts: 972 Member
    @SimPoseyYum I've never shaken a fist at them buuut Im guilty of talking to them. I do it a lot actually even when I'm on the phone with someone else lol. I get "who are you talking to" all the time. Yeah it's sad I know. :blush:

2ahzmo1.gif
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    It's cute when the little kids to it. When grandpa or grandma do it it's time for the home.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    It's been happening since Sims 1. I think the gurus didn't want to take that out cuz maybe some people will miss that "breaking through the fourth wall" feature.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Yeah. I totally didn't get that. I always wondered why they were waving. It never ocurred to me that they were waving at me.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Sims will often do it themselves, but they won't if you are making them do something else.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

11NYWoW.jpg
    7yqlYU8.jpg

I think the potty walk for adult Sims in the game is ridiculous. It's for a three year old. Waving and cursing out the player is more my speed of 'The Sims' than reducing them to three year olds. If anything they got it wrong. People who need to go don't walk that way they take longer strides almost like pony walking to get there faster. Only little kids walk that way. But I think they should bring back more Sim/player interactions like screaming at the player.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't mind the humor in game at all, it's been there since the beginning. I almost wish they had a potty dash too, like maybe before it gets so bad that they do the leg clamp walk. What I don't like it when it takes an incredible amount of time though.. like in Sims 1 if you woke them up from sleep to go to work and they shook their fists and stomped crankily for an hour, before dashing out.
    Like with this version and eating if they are socializing I make them stop talking and eat or send them alone to eat if their social is full. It takes too long otherwise if I want them to do something else later.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't mind the humor in game at all, it's been there since the beginning. I almost wish they had a potty dash too, like maybe before it gets so bad that they do the leg clamp walk. What I don't like it when it takes an incredible amount of time though.. like in Sims 1 if you woke them up from sleep to go to work and they shook their fists and stomped crankily for an hour, before dashing out.
    Like with this version and eating if they are socializing I make them stop talking and eat or send them alone to eat if their social is full. It takes too long otherwise if I want them to do something else later.

They only did that if the meter wasn't full. And or they were lazy. Active Sims in TS1 jump out of bed with two feet, ready to go.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.