Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What kind of computer do you run The Sims 4 on?

Comments

• Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    Haiden wrote: »
    Lol what do you people keep on your big HHD. Mines only 250Gig SSD and I still have half of that free.

Ha ha. :) I forgot to mention I also have an external hard drive which is also 1TB. I keep all of my custom content and downloads for Sims 1 and Sims 2. For Sims 3 it has all my cc downloads and store stuff, which is just about everything from the store. It has a total of 215GB of sims stuff on it.

Well on my current machine most of the current space is consumed by Sims (Ts2+all exp and stuff packs\Ts3 +all exp and stuff packs+++85% of the Ts3 store + all the store worlds\Ts4 Base+Outdoor Retreat+Luxury Stuff Pack)

I also have a slim line HDD...but that just has a back up of my pc and the Sims 3 final master patch + backup of all Ts3 store content.

• Options
    peppapig1993peppapig1993 Posts: 243 Member
    edited June 2015
    I have just bought a new custom build desktop pc as I was playing on a laptop with integrated graphics before.

My specs now are:

Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Intel i5 4690k
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960
    120GB SSD
    1TB HDD

Sims 4 runs brilliantly with absolutely no lag on Ultra. Even when using Fraps. Very pleased! :smiley:

(edit - missing words)
    Origin ID: zobosims
  • Options
    ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    edited June 2015
    I7 4770k cpu
    240GB Intel 730 SSD
    16GB G. Skill Trident-X 2400 ram
    R9 290 Sapphire Tri-X OC 4GB video card
    2 3TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
    Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • Options
    ErikTErikT Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2015
    My computer is older, but still going strong.

Windows 8.1
    i5-750 quad core CPU
    Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
    8GB RAM
    1280x800 Resolution (the native resolution for my LED projector)

I'm waiting for a reputable 500GB SSD to become less than $150 shipped so I'll have a fast game drive for my next upgrade.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited June 2015
    ew, I shouldn't have come in here. Jelly of all your super fancy computers :'( was gonna save up for an Alienware but The Sims is really all I play so I didn't think it was a smart investment.
    Aww , don't feel bad! I used to think that too.
    But technically Alienware is an overrated Dell gaming PC.

The hard drive is 2TB, but I want an SSD eventually.
    29goqo5.jpg
    Someday I'd like to have a custom built PC <3
    But for now, it plays all my Sims games (and Skyrim) - which is the most important part. :)

Post edited by LatteCrab on
  • Options
    tkwolftkwolf Posts: 362 Member
    edited June 2015
    Meanwhile, I'm the guy who got lured into an iMac two years ago and regrets selling my hp desktop for gaming.

I really never thought I'd ever go back to gaming until a year ago. Thankfully the games I play run well on this machine.
    The amount of jealousy growing in my chest, is overpowering me right now. I'm posting this with slight bitterness, I'm not even gonna deny. :#

Look at mine geebus. Look at that Processor and Graphics card. Someone throw money at me so I can finally buy a new gaming desktop pls D;

Lr6w7OP.png

INTRODUCING.....TA DA DA DAAAAAA
    SIMS 4! STAR WARS!
    BU7XCq7.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ErikT wrote: »
    My computer is older, but still going strong.

Windows 8.1
    i5-750 quad core CPU
    Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
    8GB RAM
    1280x800 Resolution (the native resolution for my LED projector)

I'm waiting for a reputable 500GB SSD to become less than $150 shipped so I'll have a fast game drive for my next upgrade.

@ErikT

i5-750 was one of the best cpu's I ever owned. It basically was an i7 just with hyper threading disabled. Intel® Smart Cache 8 MB and you could over clock it upto 3.8ghz

Most i5 these days only have a Intel® Smart Cache 6 MB and the i7 have the 8 MB cashe. Im not against i7, but I believe there is not enough hardware and software to take advantage of its hyper threading.

Sadly my motherboard got fried, and its pretty hard to find a motherboard that has the rite socket for the i5 750 these days.

These days I have an i5-3470K CPU. Good CPU.

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm so proud of my desktop. I will probably build all of my computers from now on. Eventually I will add more ram. Yes, total overkill for simming but I do play other games like Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0
    Windows 8.1 64-b

Some pictures of before and after building. I've since then added 4 more fans plus the one shown in the pictures and the 2 that came with the case.
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/554/18293423179_cfa2574136.jpg
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/428/17856951154_bfdf3db6ee.jpg

How do you keep your computer clean?
    It's no different than a normal tower. It even has little dust trays that pull out. The side panel has thumb screws too so getting into it is super easy. That's not a giant hole on the side, it's actually a window. lol :D

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2015
    My laptop:
    •Lenovo Edge 15 2-in-1
    •4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor
    •1TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    •NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M graphics
    •Windows 8.1

My desktop that I will be getting soon will have a AMD Radeon R9 280x (AMD > NVidia), Intel i5-4690, 1TB Serial ATA hard drive, and 250GB Samsung EVO SSD.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2015
    Some nice rigs, I also got mine custom built, mainly for Dragon Age.

Windows 7 64 bit (soon to be 10!)
    16 GB RAM
    SLI GTX 970's
    I5 4670k

Love my PC <333
  • Options
    Amiutza wrote: »
    Omg, people have gtx 980 :heart: Much jealous, I was even too cheap to get a 970 xD
    Lol I was just about to buy the 980..but couldn't justify the price.. got a high overclocked 970 instead.. $300 difference.. zero performance loss at 1080p
    I bought a overclocked 980 because I was already paying with credit card to build credit. I've heard there is hardly a difference between the 970 and 980 besides price.

• Options
    jsnjsn Posts: 624 Member
    I'm not at my normal computer right now, but it can run games like Dragon Age Inquisition and GTA 5 on high settings just fine, so of course, sims 4 is fine on the highest settings

And even with a powerful computer like this, Sims 3 still runs like crap sometimes lol :')
    I envy people that claim they've never had any problems with Sims 3 (and sometimes I don't believe them)
    tumblr_ntxblj8QDK1s6z4zdo2_250.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    sam123 wrote: »

16 GB RAM
    SLI GTX 970's
    I5 4670k

Love my PC <333

@sam123

Are the graphics for DAI better on PC than PS4

Haiden Plays DAI on Ps4

(Just Finished Jaws Of Hakkon......you played it yet?)

Dragon%252520Age%2525E2%252584%2525A2_%252520Inquisition_20150603210506.jpg

My Ps4 DA1 Inquisitor :mrgreen:

• Options
    edited June 2015

16 GB RAM
    SLI GTX 970's
    I5 4670k

Love my PC <333

@sam123

Haiden Plays DAI on Ps4

Hey! Yes, the PC is better but not by much, I play on all ultra settings including 4xMSAA and am very glad to say that I have no issues. If you want to see the differences just Google "DAI PC vs PS4" I'm sure images or videos would come up.

I have bought JoH but I haven't played it just yet, I'm on my second play through and I want to be at a good point in the game, level and story wise, before I go in since I heard it was really hard! :)

Also wanted to add my game wasn't always perfect. I first upgraded my computer early last year in preparation for DAI since I am a massive fan of Dragon Age! I had the same specs as I posted, except I had a GTX 760 graphics card instead. I thought it would be enough since the system requirements came out and I beat them. Once I had the game installed it lagged like crazy on ultra and even the high settings, I was so disappointed.

A month or so later after starting my first play through, I couldn't continue playing with bad graphics settings since it broke the immersion for me, so I decided to buy a GTX 970 card since that should have been more than enough to handle it. Well I could play on all ultra with this card except for one infamous setting, MSAA.

I love AA in games and I always need to enable it so this really frustrated me, when I enabled 2x or 4x the game would drop 10-20 frames. This was ridiculous so I continued playing and beat the game but was still feeling kinda upset that I couldn't truly play at max settings.

I decided to buy another 970 so that I could SLI. This was the best decision I have ever made, I can literally play DAI perfectly or any other game that comes out in the near future. :)

Sorry for the long post LOL.
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird How long ago did you upgrade your desktop? I remember you talking about getting the 970 but didn't have it yet. Also, if you remember my thread that I started about shadows.. I'm curious if you have the same issue with the 970? I think my friend does and she has that card too.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

16 GB RAM
    SLI GTX 970's
    I5 4670k

Love my PC <333

@sam123

Haiden Plays DAI on Ps4

Hey! Yes, the PC is better but not by much, I play on all ultra settings including 4xMSAA and am very glad to say that I have no issues. If you want to see the differences just Google "DAI PC vs PS4" I'm sure images or videos would come up.

I have bought JoH but I haven't played it just yet, I'm on my second play through and I want to be at a good point in the game, level and story wise, before I go in since I heard it was really hard! :)

Also wanted to add my game wasn't always perfect. I first upgraded my computer early last year in preparation for DAI since I am a massive fan of Dragon Age! I had the same specs as I posted, except I had a GTX 760 graphics card instead. I thought it would be enough since the system requirements came out and I beat them. Once I had the game installed it lagged like crazy on ultra and even the high settings, I was so disappointed.

A month or so later after starting my first play through, I couldn't continue playing with bad graphics settings since it broke the immersion for me, so I decided to buy a GTX 970 card since that should have been more than enough to handle it. Well I could play on all ultra with this card except for one infamous setting, MSAA.

I love AA in games and I always need to enable it so this really frustrated me, when I enabled 2x or 4x the game would drop 10-20 frames. This was ridiculous so I continued playing and beat the game but was still feeling kinda upset that I couldn't truly play at max settings.

I decided to buy another 970 so that I could SLI. This was the best decision I have ever made, I can literally play DAI perfectly or any other game that comes out in the near future. :)

Sorry for the long post LOL.

@sam123

Yeah I finished JOH last night (only became available DLC for Ps4 on the 26 of May). Just a note....don't run the last main DAI quest "Doom apon the world" (the final Coryphaeus Battle) or the game will soft cap your xp at level 25. Finish JOH and run around in the Frost Back Basin killing beast and fighting Avar. You can get your inquisitor to level 30!......then go for Coryphaeus. I'm playing On Nightmare mode lol

On the Island just of the Frost Back basin...where the last inquisitors wife/girlfriends spirit is...on the far side you can activate a Level 30 Demon Rift. Freaking hard.....but good rewards :)

• Options
    SimJoe252SimJoe252 Posts: 338 Member
    edited June 2015
    You allhave fancy home built computers and I play on an old laptop that overheats really quickly playing sims and won't work withought the cable in 24/7 xD .
    I want a Mac, but we're not that rich xD .
    29kvvbq.png
  • Options

*snip*

Oh interesting, thanks for the tip! If it gets too easy I may up my difficulty, atm I'm level 22 so I think I may be heading there soon!

• Options

*snip*

Oh interesting, thanks for the tip! If it gets too easy I may up my difficulty, atm I'm level 22 so I think I may be heading there soon!

Yeah my Pc is nothing special (specs are in a post above somewhere) But its great for sims4 everything on Ultra. Im glad I stayed away from DAI for pc since my current card is a gtx 760. Truth is I'm a console boy at heart......I cant play game like DAI with a mouse and keyboard or even a controller on a pc.

(playing as a Mage.....Level 30...Masterwork Arcon Staff 234 DPS....Hakkon Armor.......lol It does not get better!

But yup...im obsessed with DAI atm. 156 Hours lol. Ts4......meh I've clocked only about 56 hours and that's with the game pack and stuff pack.

More DAI dlc coming soon though.......I cant wait :)
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    My Rig

- Win7 64bit Home Premium
    - Case Aero Cool XPredator X3 with 4x Corsair Air Series CO-9050016-RLED AF120 silent Edition
    - PSU Corsair RM850 with 850 Watt
    - AsusMaximus VII Hero Mainboard
    - i7- 4770k @3,50 GHz OC @4,00 GHz, cooled with be quiet! BK019 Dark Rock Pro 3
    - Kingston HyperX Performance 16 GB RAM
    - 2x Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3072 MB
    - 2x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD for Games and Windows
    - 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda for storage
    - Asus BW-16D1HT Silent
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    jsn wrote: »
    I'm not at my normal computer right now, but it can run games like Dragon Age Inquisition and GTA 5 on high settings just fine, so of course, sims 4 is fine on the highest settings

And even with a powerful computer like this, Sims 3 still runs like crap sometimes lol :')
    I envy people that claim they've never had any problems with Sims 3 (and sometimes I don't believe them)

The sims 3 runs great on my laptop with no mods but yes I do have bugs which I use cheats to get around. The game however does not like the high end desktop. The sims 3 likes some computers and not others. This goes with the sims 4 too. My laptop and the sims 4 dont get along and the desktop plays the sims 4 fine
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2015

16 GB RAM
    SLI GTX 970's
    I5 4670k

Love my PC <333

@sam123

Haiden Plays DAI on Ps4

Dragon%252520Age%2525E2%252584%2525A2_%252520Inquisition_20150603210506.jpg

My Ps4 DA1 Inquisitor :mrgreen:

Have you seen the new Godzilla for ps4. I pre-ordered. Love godzilla its exclusive for playstation :p

also my son told me your getting more upgraded game play for Final Fantasy 15. He said something like its being added to the demo or they are releasing another demo. He is not here so I cant ask him specifics
  • Options
    nattylonglegsnattylonglegs Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2015
    I know nothing about computers :( I use my macbook which was purchased mainly for school work. When I used to play the Sims 2 it was on my old macbook pro. I don't know all the details about it but I'm pretty sure I eventually had to stop playing it on that computer. I can't remember why but either the games weren't good with the mac or the mac just had it's own problems. I know Macs aren't supposed to be the best computers for games but the Sims is all I play and I only have the Sims 4 on this computer. Does Origin make a difference at all vs. using Cds? And why do Macs seem to have more trouble? If someone would like to help me understand a little bit more that would be awesome :)

I use a Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch late 2013 model
    OS X Yosemite
    Processor: 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB
  • Options
    Does Origin make a difference at all vs. using Cds?
    Nope

It will run just the same either way. It depends on the computer.

• Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member