Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would this work?

I was thinking of making newcrest into a "living cemetery" (or retirement village if you prefer). So basically I thought I'd take another go at a legacy but instead of having my sims die, just move them to newcrest when they're close to death. The reason I want to do this is so these sims stay on my family tree.

What I want to know is: will keeping sims alive and in a house stop them from being culled?
Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Shaobun wrote: »
    I was thinking of making newcrest into a "living cemetery" (or retirement village if you prefer). So basically I thought I'd take another go at a legacy but instead of having my sims die, just move them to newcrest when they're close to death. The reason I want to do this is so these sims stay on my family tree.

What I want to know is: will keeping sims alive and in a house stop them from being culled?

At the moment, yes. Housed,living Sims - played and non-played - don't get culled.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

I have a retirement home on the gallery called Shady Pines, my ID there is the same as my name here.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    Great! Thanks @luthienrising & @catmando830 (I'll be sure to check out Shady Pines)
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member

A better option is to have the No culling mod. But if you are not comfortable using mods then yea I think it works as long as you have the aging off or active household only. So your sims in that retirement home will not die.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options

I have a retirement home on the gallery called Shady Pines, my ID there is the same as my name here.

Lol at Shady Pines.
    I should rename my retirement home as Shady Pines because in few years Sophia Petrillo will be moving there.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi :)

Lovely idea. :mrgreen:

But, don't the ghosts still get culled? Even if they are from our families? I've seen lots of posts with their family trees showing generations deleted. :(

(I guess keeping them alive would work) :blush:
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    It's a great idea for simmers like yah who want them but not my personal idea. My sims get no retirement home, there ain't an elder in my game. I play single sim and yes sometimes I bother to have them date premades. But wht happens is, the day before a sim ages into an elder, I delete them from my game and start another sim. But I'm not sure how well your idea would work though.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

Lol at Shady Pines.
    I should rename my retirement home as Shady Pines because in few years Sophia Petrillo will be moving there.

You have a character named Sophia Petrillo? LOL - Another Golden Girls fan.
  • Options

Lol at Shady Pines.

You have a character named Sophia Petrillo? LOL - Another Golden Girls fan.

Yes a huge fan. I have all the Golden Girl cast :)
    If you check the thread in my signature you can see my attempt at making Sophia and Dorothy.
    Initially I made Blanche Deveraux and her family, Rose Nylund and her family, Dorothy and her family plus her mother

Then 3 weeks ago I added the other characters as non playable sims like Agnelo and Angela (Sophia's siblings) Salvadore Petrillo, Dorothy's siblings Gloria and Phil, Rose's mother Alama Lindstrom.

The good thing about this game that using the genetics you can add more characters and they get tied in the family tree.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Yep. Sims that have a house don't get culled even if they are listed as "unplayed". :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    Newcrest does sound like a nursing home.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    i wish sims that died but their tombstone is in your house, that that would count them as 'living' there and prevent the culling of them!
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    Living or dead, sims that have been played should not be deleted without our permission. If we still have the tombstone of a sim in our played households inventory that sim should not culled. That sim is not a "mysterious sim", that's a parent/grandparent/sibling... that sims is as important as any sim can be in a game where all sims are basically the same. I'd like to go without the reminder of our little value our sims lives have. I want to feel a connection, and pretend my sims feel a connection to their loved ones and family history.

I'm not sure why I'm reluctant to use the no culling mod. Maybe I just think this is something Maxis needs to fix? I love mods and modders, but I am annoyed with Maxis relying on them to fill in the gaps for things that are essential and should be standard for everyone.

I'll see how my "worlds" develop, maybe I'll end up getting the mod. I think another concern is I have heard of family trees getting wiped out after updates, I think this included with the mod. So I want to "play by the rules" to limit the chance of a patch messing up the mod to dire effect.