Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Informative update! WIP: Thistlecreek Village - A Sims 1 Makin' Magic Inspired World!

Comments

• Options
    KennziKaigeKennziKaige Posts: 132 Member
    @geminiagre Oh okay! 110-ish lots it is then! I didn't know about the amount of foliage for performance, but the CAS textures makes sense :open_mouth: I've done the same with using EA lots in custom worlds (though those worlds never made it to completion) lol. There are some lots that I do definitely want to reuse as they are my favorites and work well with the architecture I'm going for :]

@mooredt21 Thank you! I used the ini files of Moonlight Falls for the lighting, sky, and water. Is it too dark?
    Thistlecreek Village forum link here.
  • Options
    mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I like the lighting. I didn't know it could be altered.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @mooredt21 :blush:

---

So here are building wips I completed before moving back to sculpting and painting in CAW to fill in some areas that look too flat and bare.

It's a brighter day in Thistlecreek! I guess the game didn't want to give me overcast days for snapshots lol!

tumblr_ns68zxGU0s1tjvzwco3_1280.png
    tumblr_ns68zxGU0s1tjvzwco4_1280.png
    Above are the Stonewall Townhomes and Greenwood Condominiums respectively. There are two lots of each. They all have the same floor plan with small varying differences. They are Late Night style apartments. (Stonewall is my absolute favorite and I have my test Sim living there ;) )

tumblr_ns68zxGU0s1tjvzwco2_1280.png
    tumblr_ns68zxGU0s1tjvzwco5_1280.png
    These new buildings are Pinetree Bar and Jenny's Diner. They are on the same lot, which is set as a "coffeehouse" and has a Showtime stage attached to Pinetree Bar.

tumblr_ns7m8op3rI1tjvzwco1_1280.png
    And finally a lot full of wip shops/restaurants. I am still unsure, after finishing building, if I should leave it as a shell or furnish it. I fiddle with this lot when I get burned out from CAW to give me a break from the constant crashing lol.
  • Options
    So CAW keeps crashing every time I go to paint terrain :angry: I end up having to redo these little areas a few times.
    tumblr_nsd3barNTy1tjvzwco1_1280.png

Doing these little areas makes me wish I was better at painting the larger mountain areas; I'm a stickler for detail but at the same time the larger areas drive me bonkers.
  • Options
    geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2015
    Small Hints for crashing CAW. Have you edited your page file? Gets much better if you do. Plus CAW for some reason loads your entire DCCashe. If you are not using many Store items, before launching CAW you can move your TS3 folder somewhere safe, And then launch CAW. It will load faster and there will be much less crashing. Mine would crash as soon as it loaded and tried to do anything if i didn't do that. In fact what i did exactly is that i had 2 Sims 3 folders. One for CAW and one for playing. So i had my regular one in the Electronic Arts folder when i wanted to play, and switched to the temp one when i wanted to use CAW. Also if i wanted to use a few store items, i just installed only those items while i had the temp folder in.

Let me grab a link to the page file tutorial, brb

Ok can't seem to find it I'll just try to type it all :p
    This is for windows 7, might be a bit diff for other OS

ok go to Control Panel -> System
    There should be a column on your left, the last option should be "Advanced system settings" Click on that
    A new window should open, there got to the "advanced tab" and click "settings" under "performance"
    A new window should open again, go again to the "advanced" tab, and where it says Virtual memory click on "change"
    If "automatically manage paging file size" is selected uncheck it
    Select your basic hard drive from the list
    and check Custom size
    On initial size AND maximum size you will type in the recommended page file MB shown at the bottom of that window. Exactly that number and in BOTH boxes the SAME. This number should be your RAM + half of it. For example i have 8GB of RAM so its about 8000MB plus half of it 4000MB , makes it about 12000MB that my recommended amount (12286MB to be precise) and that 's what i have in BOTH boxes initial and max.
    You click on nothing else, everything else should be unselected.
    Ok each window till you are done
    You might need to restart, it 'll ask you if needed
    Now you will have less much crashing, and everything will be running more smoothly

Now what we did...When your computer runs out of RAM (as much as you have TS3 and CAW can't use more than 4GB anyway) it uses part of your hard drive as extra RAM. Most computers by default have this set to automatically manage, or they have diff initial and max values. That causes the computer to simply write over that and use anything that is left or try to allocate more when needed, making it run slower. Therefore its easy to use all the RAM and have no page file left to use so CAW (or any other program that might run into this issue) crashes
    So now we reserved space on the hard drive to use as page file , when it runs out of RAM, and since the initial AND max are the same, it will NOT use that space for anything else. So it treats it as extra "RAM". Its always there , it access it very fast (not as fast as RAM but the difference is not that noticeable) and things stop crashing cause there is more "RAM" for them to use.

Post edited by geminiagre on
  • Options
    @geminiagre Thank you for the advice! :blush: I have sets of folders specifically set up for game play and then for CAW, and I did Large Access Aware a long ago :) is this page file edit the same thing? I'll give it a shot this weekend.
    The weird thing is, CAW doesn't crash doing anything else... only when I try painting terrain. EIG doesn't crash either. That's the only issue I'm having and it's detouring me from messing around in CAW and to work on something else lol.
  • Options
    Large address aware is obsolete with newer version of CAW as it set by default. LAA makes a program that uses up to 2GB to be able to use up to 4GB. If 4GB are full, even if you have more RAM, 32-bit programs do not recognize it, and start using the page file. What we did is we made a more stable page file that is always there and more easily accessible. I think, if i recall correctly ,i had issues with sculpting, that where fixed either with LAA, either with making sure I have the less possible store stuff installed. CC installed via the launcher also fall in that category, and possibly .package files too, but i never used CC when working on CAW as i had no idea what I might have included accidentally. I make the page file fix every time i set up a computer for at least 12 years now, so that was def not my issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh okay. Cool! I'll try that :smiley: thank you!

Oop, I have a question. You said it should be my RAM + half, right? I should have 12000MB because the computer has 8GB, but instead "Recommended" says 4607MB. :/
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    that's weird, really weird..check your specs to make sure the pc registers the 8GB. any chance your RAM might have issues? can you post a screenshot of the "virtual memory" window ?

trying to upload mine but photobucket is hating me atm

Seriously photobucket is going downhill...
    took me ages for just one tiny .jpg
    Untitled2_1.jpg
    Post edited by geminiagre on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    No problem, here you go!

tumblr_nshdledsy41tjvzwco1_400.png

Here are specs as well:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model GA-880GA-UD3H
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, 2800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F1, 4/16/2010
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"
    User Name
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.99 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 9.62 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 7.20 GB
    Page File Space 1.63 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
    Post edited by KennziKaige on
  • Options
    ok i've never seen this before...using the recommended is not gonna help as much, as i can see that system managed is up to 9,62GB so making it less its def not gonna help. I told you to look at the recommended to get the exact value as its in MB. You have plenty of room on your disk so we have no issue reserving 12286MB on it. So you can try setting the value 12286MB ( i get the number form mine since we have the same amount of RAM)to both initial and max size, restart and see if that helps with CAW and in game. Technically it should help. If it doesn't you can go back to system managed. But Do not use the recommended. Its smaller than system managed. Also try making sure to get as less content as possible on your DCCache folder on the CAW version of your TS3 folder.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all this help!
  • Options
    you are very welcome :) CAW is quite buggy on its own and we all have struggled with it a lot. Due to the FPS issue with the game I had to create my world export it and install it in game, build everything, place everything in the bin after noting down where goes what, go back in CAW, open EIG and place all the buildings on the appropriate lots... CAW is a pain, but an addiction too :P
  • Options
    Agreed! :) I do the same thing with building in game and then placing in EIG.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Thank you so much to geminiagre for the CAW advice; I haven't had a crash since! :grin:

But in the meantime, here's a building update!

tumblr_nsqca1NFu21tjvzwco1_1280.png
    (Thistlecreek Ferry Port that shuttles Sims to an offshore island resort)
    tumblr_nsqca1NFu21tjvzwco3_1280.png
    (Anderson Community Library, also my favorite building thus far)
    tumblr_nsqca1NFu21tjvzwco4_1280.png
    (Famous Crab Shack and biggest tourist attraction in town)

tumblr_nsqcdzhuL31tjvzwco1_1280.png
    Here's a wip that will have a bowling alley, coffee shop, and some other store ideas :smile:

tumblr_nsqcciGtzR1tjvzwco1_1280.png
    And a lovely scenery photo to end the night. This picture really makes me wish I knew how to make distant terrain but meshing goes far over my head lol.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend ahead of them! I'll show an update on sculpting shortly.
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Wow! I wish I could build like that. The library, especially, is breathtaking!
  • Options
    @Shadecaster101 thank you so much! I actually surprised myself with that one too :p
  • Options
    Khala_OakeageKhala_Oakeage Posts: 235 Member
    Thistlecreek Village is looking beautiful, I love seeing the picture updates!
  • Options
    berta108berta108 Posts: 1 New Member
    Can't wait to see more!!!!! beautiful
  • Options
    Thank you @Khala_Oakeage and @berta108 :smiley:
  • Options
    HopeAKHopeAK Posts: 309 Member
    edited August 2015
    Love the world so far! Good work <3
  • Options
    PurpleRosesPurpleRoses Posts: 3,796 Member
    I'm honestly getting pretty excited for this world. I'm really looking forward to the finished product!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Thank you so much @HopeAK and @purple_roses2110 :) I hope Thistlecreek Village meets everyone's expectations!

I've taken a short break the past couple days because we have a new kitten and he's a tad sick. (We sure do have a full house now with two cats and a big dog o_o) I've been taking small moments to flesh out shrubs and flowers in some zones in Thistlecreek here and there to be a little productive and have a few building shells completed but this week might be a little slow. I really want to get the leftover sculpting tweaking and painting done so I can export, test, and maybe do an empty world beta test.

I should have some picture updates by the end of the week on the progress I've made. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    I'm so glad i was able to help :)
    Your buildings look gorgeous!!! <3
  • Options
    fkasimsfkasims Posts: 50 Member
    this world is absolutely beautiful so far!