Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Organization suggestions for CC

OK I have a LOT of CC and I know I'm going to run into issues at some point with an update or EP. Where do I start organizing thousands of package files? Am I best just to start over and redownload my favorites, organizing as I go? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    SimblingssSimblingss Posts: 55 Member
    I ran into this problem when I used to play Sims 2 and had thousands of CC but no folder to tell them apart from.

The folders I use in my Sims 4 mods file is Buy, CAS, Build, Traits and Game Mods. You can of course expand on those and make even more files ( I don't have a lot of CC). At this point I would suggest you to create folders like these and manually go through each CC and judge what they are by the name.

I know it might seem a little tedious to have to do this ):
    Gallery: Simblingss
    Build Showcase: Retail, Room and Home Builds
    Youtube: Simblingss
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Hello.
    This is a link to creating subfolders in your mods folder. You probably already know about it but I will post the link in case it helps you or another simmer
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=531644
  • Options
    bonnstraxxbonnstraxx Posts: 102 Member
    I tend to have more CAS CC than build/buy, so I created subfolders for Hair, Clothes, Accessories, Build/Buy, and one for New CC that I'm just adding to my game and want to make sure it works/looks okay.
    tumblr_no8vxivBfl1s26dsio1_250_zpsh1ymw1es.gif
  • Options
    midnitetechmidnitetech Posts: 283 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello.
    This is a link to creating subfolders in your mods folder. You probably already know about it but I will post the link in case it helps you or another simmer

Thank you. I have that cfg file, it's just a case of sorting thru everything. I think I'm just going to keep my favourite cc and delete the rest. @bonnstraxx I'm definitely going to have a new cc folder, that's a great idea.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited May 2015
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello.

Thank you. I have that cfg file, it's just a case of sorting thru everything. I think I'm just going to keep my favourite cc and delete the rest. @bonnstraxx I'm definitely going to have a new cc folder, that's a great idea.

I have my mods and cc in folders and it is really good. The side benefit is that you can create CC and Mod sets for a different feel - just pull one folder set out and drop another in.

I would definitely recommend that you keep Mods and CC in different folders. Generally CC is safe after a patch, but mods can have incompatibilities. If you want to pull your mods out, or test them, etc then you don't want to be in a 'picking stones out of a bog' mode :)

When I first had the game, I just dropped everything into the Mods folder and the approach I took to sorting it was to create a backup of that folder and then created a folder structure, and simply dragged and dropped my favourites in to start. Many creators actually name their files quite well so not as difficult as it sounds, even with a lot of mods/cc.

My top level for my default folder set looks like this:

_tryout
    _gamemods
    Accessories
    Clothes
    Eyebrows
    EyeMasks
    FaceOverlays
    Hair
    Makeup
    Skins
    Tattoos

Each of those contain subfolders

This is the contents of my Resource.cfg file:

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*.package

Priority 600
    PackedFile Overrides\*.package
    PackedFile Overrides\*\*.package
    PackedFile Overrides\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile Overrides\*\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile Overrides\*\*\*\*\*.package
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    If possible, could you guys post pics of your mod folders please? That's really helpful @ModerateOsprey, thank you very much. I'm going to start from scratch I think, and set it all up nicely as I go.
  • Options
    @ModerateOsprey Just wanted to thank you again. I started from scratch and organized my folders just like yours. Thank you!