Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smarter Sims...

So, I'm conducting an experiment. For the first half of the day, I played S4. Sort of. I left it running and sent them places, but the majority of the time, I didn't actually play. I just left the game running.

For the second half of the day, I ran S2. I actually forgot it was running.

I did this with S3 on my last day off.

So far, I haven't noticed anything 'smarter' about the new sims. No one has died and everyone has taken care of their needs in S2 and 3 while I've been ignoring it.

Just curious, what's smarter about the sims in S4?
Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ive never play with free will so i cant add anything about it :) but i always read smarter to mean things like emotions which i personally cant argue is better...i still like sims 2 set up....though i still think it could be improved to be. but also which i do think is better is multitasking and routing

i dont recall how good or bad routing was in 2 but it was a real pain in 3. and i love love multitasking.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    ive never play with free will so i cant add anything about it :) but i always read smarter to mean things like emotions which i personally cant argue is better...i still like sims 2 set up....though i still think it could be improved to be. but also which i do think is better is multitasking and routing

i dont recall how good or bad routing was in 2 but it was a real pain in 3. and i love love multitasking.

I agree with the multitasking. I really like that they can socialize while doing other things in S4.

The routing issues in S1, 2, and 3 are disasterous. I've run into many circumstances of sims stuck in the bathroom, at the top of the stairs, within a doorway, or waiting for a carpool because not a single one knows how to move out of the way.

For me though, smarter means caring for oneself.

I always play with freewill on. One thing I've noticed is it's frustrating when it's on in S4. Sims are constantly going to bed when they're in the yellow instead of the red. They're at the fridge eating and drinking while they're still green. I'm just wondering what constitutes a 'smart' sim.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    i remember the top of stairs hands waving someone is blocking me at the bottom ha!

and good point it would be really nice if they could be more responsive to all of their needs on free will. when i ve tested it for others in 3 i recall all the sims fixating on fun needs and eating.

and interesting observation about whats it like with 4. and when your sims go to bed with yellow have you noticed what time it is? currently im playing two unemployed sims so i only put them to bed when their needs are red which could be any time of the day. but i have to watch out if during the day if i hit the energy button it will queue up naps. i wonder if they are related
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Well i noticed the Sims can live without me, they do what they need in every Sims, in Sims 2 and 3 they have already really good "memories" so that certain actions that often is in use for example flirting, watching TV ect. will be done automatically if the Sims needs to. The routing from the Sims 2 and 3 isn't the best, but at least the Sims never run thru someone thru (if you get what i mean sry).
    The Sims 4 Sims aren't really smarter they only have a little bit more Multitasking abilitiy, i really must say i don't know why they tried to sell this as the main reason to move from the previous Sims Games. They are so smart its weird is only marketing and the only thing that makes it weird is the buff like emotions they have, they basically jump with every picture from sad to happy.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm not sure if smarter means taking care of themselves. After all it is a game. So it must be the emotions, but Sausage man demonstrated how utterly not smart that part of the game has been handled. The multitasking often makes them look like total lunatics so that doesn't make them smarter for me either.

I know what they were trying to do, but I think they failed.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    i remember the top of stairs hands waving someone is blocking me at the bottom ha!

and good point it would be really nice if they could be more responsive to all of their needs on free will. when i ve tested it for others in 3 i recall all the sims fixating on fun needs and eating.

and interesting observation about whats it like with 4. and when your sims go to bed with yellow have you noticed what time it is? currently im playing two unemployed sims so i only put them to bed when their needs are red which could be any time of the day. but i have to watch out if during the day if i hit the energy button it will queue up naps. i wonder if they are related

It's always around 7:30. Far too early, and then they're up all night and not up in time for work/school because of it.
    Well i noticed the Sims can live without me, they do what they need in every Sims, in Sims 2 and 3 they have already really good "memories" so that certain actions that often is in use for example flirting, watching TV ect. will be done automatically if the Sims needs to. The routing from the Sims 2 and 3 isn't the best, but at least the Sims never run thru someone thru (if you get what i mean sry).
    The Sims 4 Sims aren't really smarter they only have a little bit more Multitasking abilitiy, i really must say i don't know why they tried to sell this as the main reason to move from the previous Sims Games. They are so smart its weird is only marketing and the only thing that makes it weird is the buff like emotions they have, they basically jump with every picture from sad to happy.

I know what you mean. I see the clipping all the time. I don't have pics, but many others do, and I've seen in firsthand in my own game. It's not so much smarter as it is the fact that physics don't particularly work when it comes to gaming.
  • Options
    Sa3ana3aSa3ana3a Posts: 79 Member
    I dont think smarter means the sim to be able to take care of himself. I think what they mean is that every trait makes the sim totally different. And that makes them unique and close to life. In S3 the traits give you ability, but overall they acted the same. In S4 it really shows that a certain sim has troubles with commitment, etc. If their traits are totally opposite, it's really hard for them to get along. By these things I find them smarter.
  • Options
    Sa3ana3a wrote: »
    I dont think smarter means the sim to be able to take care of himself. I think what they mean is that every trait makes the sim totally different. And that makes them unique and close to life. In S3 the traits give you ability, but overall they acted the same. In S4 it really shows that a certain sim has troubles with commitment, etc. If their traits are totally opposite, it's really hard for them to get along. By these things I find them smarter.

So, by that definition, they're like S2 sims?

An evil sim knows they don't like a good sim like a clean sim knows they like to clean whereas a slob sim in S2 is quite happy living in a mess?

Granted, an evil shower is really nothing as far as smart goes, I totally get that.
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member

well maybe in your game cuz in my game and even in the gurus games all the sims in sims 4 act almost like the same, you can see a sim with hate child play with childs, a lazy sim does exercices or a slob sim clean the house, they use exactly the same set, in my sim 3 i made some ladiesman characters and they actually try to flirt a lot and get rejected, or my evil sims like to pick fights and being means, again unlike sims 4 where evil sims are even more nice peoples than good sims.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have no idea what they talking about pretending Sims are smarter now I don't see it at all. They have no awareness of the Sims around them except when they are talking and now they hop from seat to seat to talk constantly moving even if sitting right next to them on the couch which is annoying. Excluding routing issues they no longer do that waving hand dance but they fixed that by making Sims walk into each other so I'm not sure how much an improvement I would call that either. Last but not least Psycho sausage proves they are not smarter just weirder. forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/817854/an-obnoxious-psychosausage-tests-the-boundaries-of-the-sims-4-emotions/p1
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »

well maybe in your game cuz in my game and even in the gurus games all the sims in sims 4 act almost like the same, you can see a sim with hate child play with childs, a lazy sim does exercices or a slob sim clean the house, they use exactly the same set, in my sim 3 i made some ladiesman characters and they actually try to flirt a lot and get rejected, or my evil sims like to pick fights and being means, again unlike sims 4 where evil sims are even more nice peoples than good sims.

True. I chose to make a sim who hates children have several children. I honestly can't say that trait really showed. She was quite happy talking to them and being around them.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    What's smart about Sims in TS4? Well they can grow from a baby to a child without having to even be a toddler and they can just teleport anywhere which gives the game a futuristic edge rather than that old TS3 where Sims had to get cars and drive through the open world and all you could do was watch the world around them as Sims went about their daily lives...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

"Smarter Sims" was referring to the new Technology in the game called "SmartSim" which is mostly about the game being remade to be "Smarter" from a players perspective.

SmartSim was to do with Routing, the new Build and CAS modes being more "intelligent" as in more logical for the player to get the required result, the way Emotions change what your Sims can and can't do.

Because SmartSim didn't really reflect "Smarter Sims" they quickly changed the tagline to "You Rule" as you can tell someone at the PR Team came up with "Smarter Sims" based on the new Tech, even when the new Tech isn't really about the Sims at all, it's more about logical adjustments to the game's formula.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    "Smarter Sims" was referring to the new Technology in the game called "SmartSim" which is mostly about the game being remade to be "Smarter" from a players perspective.

SmartSim was to do with Routing, the new Build and CAS modes being more "intelligent" as in more logical for the player to get the required result, the way Emotions change what your Sims can and can't do.

Because SmartSim didn't really reflect "Smarter Sims" they quickly changed the tagline to "You Rule" as you can tell someone at the PR Team came up with "Smarter Sims" based on the new Tech, even when the new Tech isn't really about the Sims at all, it's more about logical adjustments to the game's formula.

Fair enough. So, if I rule, what exactly do I rule? Goals and other limitations aside.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    The routing issues in S1, 2, and 3 are disastrous. I've run into many circumstances of sims stuck in the bathroom, at the top of the stairs, within a doorway, or waiting for a carpool because not a single one knows how to move out of the way.

I haven't played 1, but oddly I always found my Sims 2 sims were a lot smarter at routing and moving out of the way than Sims 3.
    Perhaps it's because I mod my game, I don't know, but Sims in 2 will do their best to move away from things, or step OVER childrens toys and such, and go on their merry way, when in comparison, one of my Sims 3 sims would stand in front of the kids toy for ten minutes, ignore the mile wide space around it, complain and wave that something is blocking their way and then have the game crash five seconds later, probably due to said routing tantrum.

Okay so I over exaggerated with the last bit lol, but really, that IS what I find it to be like.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Well spotted

Fair enough. So, if I rule, what exactly do I rule? Goals and other limitations aside.

You rule the loading screens...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

So, by that definition, they're like S2 sims?

An evil sim knows they don't like a good sim like a clean sim knows they like to clean whereas a slob sim in S2 is quite happy living in a mess?

Granted, an evil shower is really nothing as far as smart goes, I totally get that.
    It just isn't the same as in 2 and I think this is a major point concerning the personalities of the sims. A new Sims game should totally have that back. I don't care for the hopes and fears in 2 (or I'm not approaching that part in the right way), but the turn ons-turn offs system is great and I regret they left that behind in 3.
    I created a 'fat' female in 2 and almost gave her potential husband the turn off 'fat sims'. I didn't because I wanted them to dig each other, but when I started playing I discovered she got slim when I made her work out (bit silly I hadn't thought of that). It could have added an extra spark to my game if I had given him that turn off. It would have added an extra layer to their story.

Personally I think that if there's one thing Sims 4 teaches us, it's that to the player the character of the sims and events are more important when it comes to emotions than the environment. I hope EA has taught that lesson by now as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Pary wrote: »
    The routing issues in S1, 2, and 3 are disastrous. I've run into many circumstances of sims stuck in the bathroom, at the top of the stairs, within a doorway, or waiting for a carpool because not a single one knows how to move out of the way.

I haven't played 1, but oddly I always found my Sims 2 sims were a lot smarter at routing and moving out of the way than Sims 3.
    Perhaps it's because I mod my game, I don't know, but Sims in 2 will do their best to move away from things, or step OVER childrens toys and such, and go on their merry way, when in comparison, one of my Sims 3 sims would stand in front of the kids toy for ten minutes, ignore the mile wide space around it, complain and wave that something is blocking their way and then have the game crash five seconds later, probably due to said routing tantrum.

Okay so I over exaggerated with the last bit lol, but really, that IS what I find it to be like.
    I don't share that experience. There's a particular table in my Sims 2 house I have to move away frequently in buy mode or my sim will die there, completely trapped after I ordered him or her to take away the plates. And there's really room enough there. There's definitely not less arm waving going on in the game than in 3. If anything more.

They do that funny 'step over something' routine when something's on the floor, but toys on the floor never bother my sims in 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I think it's probably the multitasking. That alone is something really special in my opinion. I wish I could somehow get that ability in my ts2 game.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    All I can say is that jelousy sims react more now, it's in the patch and I tested it myself.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    All I can say is that jelousy sims react more now, it's in the patch and I tested it myself.

What did you witness?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mtwtfss71 wrote: »

What did you witness?

I started a new "testing" save, with my sim, I found "Kim Lewis Big Name" and his wife randomly hanging out in a bar, I went there with my sim and started flirting with the guy and his wife got super mad, she yelled at her husband about 3 times, everytime the sims kissed she would get 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and go to them and yell lol.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    everything
  • Options

What did you witness?

I started a new "testing" save, with my sim, I found "Kim Lewis Big Name" and his wife randomly hanging out in a bar, I went there with my sim and started flirting with the guy and his wife got super mad, she yelled at her husband about 3 times, everytime the sims kissed she would get 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and go to them and yell lol.

Did she stay angry?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

What did you witness?

Did she stay angry?

She was not in my household nor in my conversation I don't know for sure how she felt but while both sims were there in a flirty mood after kissing her face and walkstyle indicated she was angry.

Edited to make it clearer.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1