Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get to Work RANT

Comments

• Options
    AkirukaAkiruka Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2015
    I admit, i too am dissapointed about things this interview revealed, i'm going to write my exact thoughts on it as i have read it, going over each point in the interview.

1. When i heard that our sims could get sick i was thinking: Cool! I'm glad that our own sims can get sick too and not just NPC! :smiley:
    The fact that they can catch diseases from other sims is also a nice realistic touch. :smile:
    Oh! But, maybe they should have also made it so that sims can get sick by touching dirty objects and eating without washing their hands. Still, glad this is a feature!

2."As Sims progress through the Doctor career, they will unlock the ability to see pregnant patients and deliver their babies" So...wait, does that mean that our own sims can't go to the hospital to have babies? But then i continued to read and was happy to be proven wrong. I don't really mind the pregnant NPC spawning, i was kinda expecting that.

3. Now this....THIS is my absolute biggest dissapointment of this entire expansion pack! I was looking forward the doctor career the most to be honest, my excitement has just gone down the drain after this.

*thinking* What?! I can't visit the hospital if i'm not working there?!?! But...But...How am i supposed to play out my scenarios then?!?! Why did you do this?!?!
    Then i tried to look on the bright side and thought in my naivity that sick sims could still go to the hospital, it was just the "healthy" sims that couldn't.....
    *thinking* Oh, surely you mean "normal" sims can't go, but if my sim is sick then....*reads the rest* .......So you actually mean to tell me that sims can't even go to the hospital if they are sick?!?!?! What kind of nonsense is THAT?!?!?!
    There is no excuse whatsoever for this!!!! >:(

4. Oh, great, so if i have a sim doctor he/she can't even deliver the baby of my other sim....*shakes head*

5. Oh...well, it would have been a nice feature to have, but i wasn't really affected by it.

6. I was expecting this, so....

7. Oh, at least something good!

8. Hmmm...that's to vague, why does it seem like it's skimming the question?

9. Wait, you can customize oufits from the clothing in-game?! Does that mean the color wheel/cast reaturns?!(Yeah i know, it probably won't happen but that's what came to my mind when i read it) I want more details!
    You can assign 30 outfits to them? :o
    Will the manequin randomly change clothes or what? I don't really get it but this sounds promising.

10. Ok, cool i guess, but i don't really collect things.

11. Oh, no! This sounds just like what someone on the forums said about there not being any new worlds, ever, and them just adding to the existing worlds like they did in Sims 1! :(
    I didn't believe that when i read it, but now i fear they were right....Only 4 new lots, when we really, really need more places for our sims to live in. What a let down!

With all of this said, i probably will still end up buying it though.....
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2015
    To each their own.

But I think that that condemning an EP and making assumptions about it before you ever played it is childish. That's like someone cooking a wonderful meal for you and you decide because they didn't put your favorite side of mash potatoes on there that you're not even going to try it. All this is is more whining.

I'd love to be able to come to this forum section and read about the actual EP or people's thoughts of what they're going to do with it instead of having to sift through the same complaints.

Everyone gets it. There are lots of things that we wish were already added. They may get added, they may not. Do we really need another thread complaining about it? At this point, I kinda hope toddlers never get added (even though I loved playing with them) simply to spite everyone that's still whining about it. I'm so tired of reading about it.

The biggest problem Sims 4 has is that some fans of Sims 3 can't be bothered to give it a chance because we weren't given everything in Sims 3 from all the EP's that were ever made for it. If you're not a programmer, not a game designer and don't know anything about the process of making games, then you really can't comment on how easy/hard it is to add features to a game.

But who am I kidding, even if they added toddlers tomorrow in a patch, people here would still find something to whine about. Next it would be the lack of story progression. And OMG, why haven't you added that already.

If you're not happy with the game, don't play it. Don't buy the EP. Go back to Sims 3 or 2 or whatever makes you happy. But stop announcing to the world that's what you're doing. And let those that actually do want to give Sims 4 a chance to enjoy it and talk about it without having to sift through all your complaints bogging up what should be a forum on positive things about get to work. Go put this thread and all the other complaint threads in an a more appropriate forum like the 'feedback' or 'ideas' forum.

I think you could have just past by this thread. I think it is extremely rude and mean of you to wish toddlers never be added for those who want them just out of spite as you said. Nothing stopped you today or anyone else from having a party and posting what you did like about the EP interviews. It is this attitude here that makes this community one big fat unhappy place. Because we want to love this game, we want to buy this game, play this game and have fun talking about this game. But attitudes like this one, who can't even any apathy for someone else's disappointment and yes, rant, is beyond the pale.

I would have expected to get a whole new business district "world' 50 lots or more, in an EP like this one. Which is combining something like Ambs. with OFB. Good luck with you finding places to build your shops if you play any, because three retail lots isn't going to cut for me.

And if I play a doctor, I would have expected I could visit a doctor, and not the game just generate pregnant Sims. What about the Sim neighbor on rotation? do they show up at the hospital? Then good luck with your 180 character file limit (unless they have increased it, I hope) because generated pregnant Sims make two more Sims so the game can cull your Sim's friends.

Or generated sick Sims showing up at your hospitals as NPCs knock out another of your neighbors.

Unless they did increase the limit. I guess I am spoiled. Because the other EPs in the other games offered brand new worlds for $40.00 plus way more than what this EP is offering for my play style. I mean really, is it really that time consuming to make an OFB sign hang it on the wall and let the 20 townies show up and buy from our Sims. How hard is that. Since it was done in the TS2 OFB EP more than nine years ago. Simple concept.

ETA: Guess I can figure why we can't have a home shop. Because they will have to be scripted of what sort of things go on those lots..yeah, that would explain a lot. Again, scripting and limiting my imagination. Thanks, EA.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    Anavastia wrote: »
    I can't believe they didn't have it where sims could stay at the hospital and get treated there! What in the world is wrong here that they can't allow sims to stay over night and play out being sick at the hospital if they want to!!!!!!

Im so furious about that i have to order medicine over the computer! You're to bad off you can't add a simple pharmacy at the hospital? I wanted my sim to go to the doctor and get check ups too.

...why isn't there a home business? You already have it where i ... cant control my home life when off the lot ... but now you want me to spend a whole day missing raising my sim family to play an expansion.

This game really is only designed to play 1 sim at a time. I'm not interested in playing this as an mmo character. I want my sims back.

Edited, I hope you don't mind. You said exactly what I'm thinking. It's such a wasted opportunity because the reason I was so excited about GTW is that I thought I'd have these great new places to go and could have more control over my sims.

I think that there is a good chance none of the patients we treat, criminals we interrogate or sims we experiment on will be sims we know and care about. They'll just be generated for the "tasks". I'm very disappointed.

Well, fingers crossed we might get locked doors... and I really, really hope this photography studio isn't a photo booth or some ugly, oversized thing I can't stand in my game like the observatories and microscopes.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    Why is everybody so wild about home businesses? I don't want any strangers to have the right to enter my lot in TS4. I'm still traumtized by the buggy paparazzi in TS3, and the always visiting friends in TS4 are also terrible. Uninvited strangers on your lot are always an eternal source for bugs, so it's good to run your business on a special lot.

They aren't uninvited in the TS2. You build a little shop on your lot, I built bakeries, flower shops, toy shops all kinds of things in the game on my Sim's home lot. Locked the doors I didn't want the other Sims to enter and hung out my open/closed sign. When you are tired, you go to the sign and close the shop or your house or whatever. They leave. It was great fun.

I just read the retail lots are only three, only three to visit and the other one is the one you get to build your shop and or a home. So, it seems you are not even really getting four lots but one you can use for residential or commercial in this game. SimGuruBChick just answered it on the Ask a Guru thread...Three Retail your Sims can visit and One for you.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    turnedintostoneturnedintostone Posts: 155 Member
    @cinebar I think you mean sympathy. Not apathy. Apathy means you don't care. And I do have sympathy for logical arguments and not half-baked jumps to conclusions that were made last night. Or people complaining about what they expected when it wasn't ever promised for this ep. You set yourself up for disappointment when you expect before you know the whole story. I also have no sympathy for people who rag on the game and act like no one should like it because they don't. I like it but I don't expect everyone else to. There are better forums than this for complaining such as the feedback forum
    Fact: a thing that is indisputably the case.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something; an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something.

A fact is a specific detail that is true based on objective proof. An opinion is an interpretation, judgment, or belief.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @cinebar I think you mean sympathy. Not apathy. Apathy means you don't care. And I do have sympathy for logical arguments and not half-baked jumps to conclusions that were made last night. Or people complaining about what they expected when it wasn't ever promised for this ep. You set yourself up for disappointment when you expect before you know the whole story. I also have no sympathy for people who rag on the game and act like no one should like it because they don't. I like it but I don't expect everyone else to. There are better forums than this for complaining such as the feedback forum

I stand corrected, however, I 'know' I read a guru statement saying we could run our own home businesses several weeks ago because I took the time to PM a friend who wanted this 'feature' in there, and I wouldn't have done it, if I hadn't have read it. I don't think I misunderstood the answer, either. So, that is one of my disappointments because the answer wasn't clouded in riddles but the answer was yes we could.
  • Options
    @cinebar I'm not against admitting I'm wrong if you can find that statement and link it. I've not seen it. If you can find that then I'd say you have cause for being upset. But without that it's just hearsay and an expectation that you desired and was not promised.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something; an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something.

A fact is a specific detail that is true based on objective proof. An opinion is an interpretation, judgment, or belief.
  • Options
    @cinebar I'm not against admitting I'm wrong if you can find that statement and link it. I've not seen it. If you can find that then I'd say you have cause for being upset. But without that it's just hearsay and an expectation that you desired and was not promised.

The answer was in one of the bigger threads that has since been deleted. I think one of two that were popular for several weeks. Like the one about 'Did EA Just Admit TS4 Was a Flop?' thread and if not that one, it was in one just as big and some gurus had been in those threads, If I remember correctly. Those threads got deleted here recently but there were a lot more discussions in them than the titles.
  • Options
    @cinebar that's not proof. That's not anything that substantiates what you 'know.'

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    . Maybe EA execs don't care but I believe the people that are directly working on the game do. This is as much their baby as it is a series of games we love.
    i could so see this being the case. sometimes i think much of the frustration many simmers voice here would be alleviated if gurus could be more transparent with the development process and talk more freely about choices and limitations of the game engine. but as we all have heard many times PR team or this other non dev team dictates whats released. its a shame because i think we all would enjoy and understand more if we could be told more.
  • Options
    @SelenaGrey Aww, I'm sorry for responding to people that are responding to me. How stupid of me. How about you stop taking things that weren't added in the game that you wish were so personally?

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @SelenaGrey Aww, I'm sorry for responding to people that are responding to me. How stupid of me. How about you stop taking things that weren't added in the game that you wish were so personally?
    how about we all keep it on topic and classy ...only ranting about or related to GTW :)

just trying to lighten the mood plus hopefully avoid any derailing
  • Options
    EcongEcong Posts: 42 Member
    CrackFox wrote: »
    The thing i'm most disappointed about is that sick sims can't go to the hosptial for a checkup. How did that limitation pass as ok? I really want to play as a doctor and everything but more importantly I want the hospital to feel like an authenic place, centered around the community. Restricting it to a workplace only environment is a huge shame and makes me so much less excited about this expack.

I'm not that bothered about the other shortcomings. I just wanted wanted them to get the medical career that people have wanted for over a decade, right. :/
    Exactly. This could have been one of the best EPs of all time, but, as usual, they ruined it.
  • Options
    @ceejay402 agreed. I'm for that if others are. But if others are gonna be rude to me, I can give as good as I get.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @ceejay402 agreed. I'm for that if others are. But if others are gonna be rude to me, I can give as good as I get.

That's a good recipe for getting reported, unfortunately. Actually, not unfortunately. There's a reason that the rules for the forum have become tighter. It becomes a very negative space here for everybody when it gets taken over by bickering and attacks. A lot of people have left over the last months because of that. Please don't contribute to it! Sims is a fun game; this should be a fun place.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @luthienrising I agree. I even apologized earlier in this thread for what I may have said that could have been taken as rude. And I didn't say anything snide after that until I was talked to rudely by SelenaGrey. I have just as much right to comment and make a contribution to this thread even if I don't agree with the majority of people that might post here. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I should just move along anymore than it means you guys don't have the right to complain should you want to exercise it.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2015
    @luthienrising I agree. I even apologized earlier in this thread for what I may have said that could have been taken as rude. And I didn't say anything snide after that until I was talked to rudely by SelenaGrey. I have just as much right to comment and make a contribution to this thread even if I don't agree with the majority of people that might post here. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I should just move along anymore than it means you guys don't have the right to complain should you want to exercise it.

Sometimes you just have to walk away for a while if you need to find time to rephrase. (I should have at one point yesterday or the day before, I know, and regretted it later.) The right to complain isn't the same as the right to be rude. We all forget now and then, but as a recent member I thought you might want to know a bit about why it's a sensitive issue on the forums right now.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member

Sometimes you just have to walk away for a while if you need to find time to rephrase. (I should have at one point yesterday or the day before, I know, and regretted it later.) The right to complain isn't the same as the right to be rude. We all forget now and then, but as a recent member I thought you might want to know a bit about why it's a sensitive issue on the forums right now.

I can vouch for this. As someone who has occasional temper issues I've had many moments where I said something I wish I hadn't out of frustration or anger. Often times walking away and taking the time to cool down and clear your head is the best thing to do.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @luthienrising fair enough. You're right. Like I said earlier, I'm not above admitting I'm wrong when I'm wrong. I'm usually just a lurker in the forums every little bit. I guess in some ways I'm just disappointed with our community as a whole and while I know I haven't acted right in some my replies that's largely the reason why. I hadn't come back here until the last week or so. And was happy to find that people were positive and happy about the new EP. The forums weren't bogged down with complaints. There were real discussions about ideas people had. Things they were speculating on but not necessarily expecting (because we knew so little). I thought, "hey this is a different atmosphere than I remembered after Sims 4 was released." I walked away from reading the forums then because there was just so much negativity.

I came on yesterday hoping for that discussion and saw the whole GTW forum wrecked with thread after thread of complaints instead of looking at the positive. That disappointed me. I guess I fell into the same trap some of you feel you have fell into with expecting stuff from EA. I expected the community to have been better than that instead of falling into emotional rants that jump to conclusions. And then I fell into the same thing but from the opposite perspective. Not right but we all have our faults. I guess I can't really expect that of the community when I couldn't even follow my expectation on that. haha.

• Options
    EcongEcong Posts: 42 Member
    edited March 2015
    My english isn't very good, but lets be realistic.

It's cynic to say "they never promise you nothing". The reason I'm sad (and I think many of us too) is that if they don't implement stuff like being able to go to the police station or hospital, at least you work there. Or if they don't let you run your own home business, we will have to wait for Sims 5 for that to happen.

That's the reason why we are sad.

This was the best opportunity to implement things we have been asking for years and other things that we've had before (like home business or big neighborhoods).

I feel that TS2 was the best sim game ever and since The Sims 3 this franchise have been falling down and the worst is I don't know if this game will ever be what it was.
    Post edited by Econg on
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    @acee313 I would be upset if mods were able to do that too and it was done well if EA says it's too hard to do. I don't think they've said one way or the other though in that. Only that it's not a feature that was added.

I think they do give it a lot of thought when they decide what goes on and what doesn't. I read a quote from one of the gurus on the sims 4 Wikipedia page that states that. Maybe EA execs don't care but I believe the people that are directly working on the game do. This is as much their baby as it is a series of games we love. I just imagine how I would feel if I were them and I've worked on all these cool things to be added and then I get all this backlash from the community because I didn't add something specific that they thought should be there even if it was never said it would be. It would make me feel sad that they can't appreciate what I have done.

In all honesty, I don't really care about the other things in this EP (well I also like the two new skills). So they are just a plus to me, so whether they did them justice is the thing of the future, I have to play them yet. Heck, business outside of home might be great too, but yes, that too is still a thing of the future. One thing is not, home business. It's not promised to be there, but why is it not there? That is the question, not what, it's why? Actually, I want them to explain why it's not in the game (which I won't be getting, though, a sad thought for me). I just can't get over it. I haven't been this frustrated out of a sims game, on why one thing was not added. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts they brought, but I'm not even asking for something out of context, so I think it's just fair to ask that. I really didn't even care now if they did not put flower arrangement in this game (florist) even though we can grow useless flowers in the base game. This EP is Get To Work, and home business is getting to work, at home. They did not promise to be part of the game, but why did they not promise this to game is beyond me.
    windweaver wrote: »

The guru said, you can sell anything in buy mode. At least, that's what I took away from reading that article. Maybe I misread it, but I don't think so. Anyway, I'm still happy with the concept and I've had it preordered since it was available, and I will be buying it and I'm sure, Having a blast playing it, while others sit and cry that the new game isn't The Sims, The Sims 2 nor The Sims 3.

Why is The Sims so successful? Because it was fresh, it was some something new, it was something refreshing. Why is The Sims 2 successful then? It's not The Sims? It's an entirely new game, but what did it do? It took the basics of The Sims, everything in it, live mode to build mode, everything in it and then made it 3D. And then added life stages. And then added aliens, and then added a lot of things. They added things! That's what! The Sims 2 is a new game and it's not The Sims. The Sims 3 did the same, they took everything from TS2 and put it in the game and added open world. And added CASt. And added traits. They may have failed with TS3 on some levels, but still they improved on them and didn't removed features from older games oh have I said that TS3 is a new game and not TS1 and TS2? I maybe fond of TS4, but I am not oblivious to its shortcomings.
  • Options
    LysistrataLysistrata Posts: 323 Member
    The OP has perfectly legitimate concerns and criticisms. I share some of them, but I'm still looking forward to the EP, as I usually always anticipate new content. What I don't understand is why some people seem to take personal offence to another player's opinion? I'm sorry, but EA has been lackadaisical in the past. They're kind of notorious for it, actually. Excluding basic content, not fully realizing the potential of certain in-game features, using consumers as beta testers, etc. They are not a perfect company (what is?), and The Sims is not a perfect franchise. Why should we pretend otherwise? EA doesn't even want us to. The main purpose of the forums is to give Sims players a voice, which in turn gives EA useful information. If we pretend everything is perfect all the time, how would EA know which features are especially important to us or what we'd love to see in our games? I didn't write this post to criticize EA or the GTW EP; I can't wait to get GTW, and I love The Sims more than not. It's the one game this non-gamer plays and remains faithful to. That noted, it's far from beyond reproach, and criticism is constructive, for my aforementioned reasons and then some. If some people are seriously affronted by TS4 criticism, maybe they should avoid the forums, or at least threads that are critique-based. Everyone who wishes to be here has the right (of course), but what purpose do forums serve if honest opinions can't be exchanged and/or tolerated?
  • Options
    @turnedintostone My above comment isn't aimed at you, btw. I meant it in general. I haven't read all of what's transpired in this feed, and if you or anyone else has been attacked, that's not okay. I just feel that we should be able to share our honest opinions about TS4 in the forums, whether those opinions are good or bad. The bad ones can actually be more helpful to EA, which, in the long run, becomes more helpful to TS4 players. However, we should be able to discuss our likes, dislikes and critiques of TS4 without directing any animosity toward forum members. Personal attacks are childish and counterproductive.
  • Options
    Econg wrote: »
    CrackFox wrote: »
    The thing i'm most disappointed about is that sick sims can't go to the hosptial for a checkup. How did that limitation pass as ok? I really want to play as a doctor and everything but more importantly I want the hospital to feel like an authenic place, centered around the community. Restricting it to a workplace only environment is a huge shame and makes me so much less excited about this expack.

I'm not that bothered about the other shortcomings. I just wanted wanted them to get the medical career that people have wanted for over a decade, right. :/
    Exactly. This could have been one of the best EPs of all time, but, as usual, they ruined it.

Hopefully it's not ruined. I'm still looking forward to it, but I wholeheartedly agree with @CrackFox. The fact that the hospital is totally inaccessible to all but active doctors and delivering mothers is super disappointing and non-sensical.
  • Options
    madarmadar Posts: 53 Member
    i support this rant