Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the point of skilling for children

I have a child who just grew up into a teen, as a child he has 10 level social skill and it does not even translate into Charisma skill ? What is the point of skilling then for kids ?

Comments

• Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    I thought that once you'd maxed out the child skill level that's when you started contributing towards the adult skill level, but I'm not sure where I read that. :confused:
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    MoonShadowMoonShadow Posts: 129 Member
    IGN
    wrote:
    Social (Child Skill) affects the speed at which children will gain social-based adult Skills, such as Charisma, Comedy, and Mischief.
    You can call me Sanne if you like. I really dislike my username.
    Origin ID: CrazyCuddle
  • Options
    Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    Maxing a Child Skill will let that Sim start learning Normal Skills while still a child
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    MoonShadow wrote: »
    IGN
    wrote:
    Social (Child Skill) affects the speed at which children will gain social-based adult Skills, such as Charisma, Comedy, and Mischief.

I think that's only if you complete the associated aspiration (Social Butterfly) -- but if you max out the skill they'll start developing the adult skills when still a child. So if your child is level 10 in Social and they tell a joke, you'll get the "Gained Comedy Skill" alert.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    qcfruscianteqcfrusciante Posts: 66 Member
    I thought that once you'd maxed out the child skill level that's when you started contributing towards the adult skill level, but I'm not sure where I read that. :confused:
    I remember Grant saying this on twitter and it does happen but I'm not sure if all adults skills are available(considering children can't do some interactions like playing guitar, piano, etc), I've seen charisma and mischief leveling up after you maxed social. I wonder if with creativity lvl 10 children can gain violin skill points... I don't really know, gotta play more often with kids to check.
  • Options
    matthewb82matthewb82 Posts: 49 Member
    It's probably due to people like myself in Sims 3 maxing out skills as a child so they entered the workforce as super adults. They put this in there to waste time as a child but still giving them goals - so that they will still have the full plethora of adult tasks to do.
  • Options
    ZxujZxuj Posts: 233 Member
    edited February 2015
    I don`t even bother with them anymore since I realized they were not transferring as they age up.
    For Custom Content Free sims and lots look for me: Zxuj in the gallery
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2015
    I remember Grant saying this on twitter and it does happen but I'm not sure if all adults skills are available(considering children can't do some interactions like playing guitar, piano, etc), I've seen charisma and mischief leveling up after you maxed social. I wonder if with creativity lvl 10 children can gain violin skill points... I don't really know, gotta play more often with kids to check.

Children actually can play the piano, but not guitar.

I agree the kids skills are nothing but a slow down measure. They should at least give the kids a boost to adult skills. It seems idiotic silly that a kid with 10 creativity and a kid with 0 creativity both grow up to have the same level in all creative skills.

edit: Omg the censorship is so stringent.
  • Options
    landverhuizerlandverhuizer Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2015
    matthewb82 wrote: »
    It's probably due to people like myself in Sims 3 maxing out skills as a child so they entered the workforce as super adults. They put this in there to waste time as a child but still giving them goals - so that they will still have the full plethora of adult tasks to do.

Wouldn't call them super adults, but that's one of the various things I loved to do in Sims 3, very sad it's come to what it is now :(

• Options
    landverhuizerlandverhuizer Posts: 310 Member
    I hate the child skills. They're too long and serve as roadblocks. Didn't max out your Creativity? Back to screeching away on the violin when you age up to teen!

which makes so very little sense, glad that's not what happens in real life, imagine all those music lessons as a child having to be taken all over again once you hit your teens
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I agree the kids skills are nothing but a slow down measure. They should at least give the kids a boost to adult skills. It seems idiotic silly that a kid with 10 creativity and a kid with 0 creativity both grow up to have the same level in all creative skills.

They do give Children a way to boost their skill building.
    That's what the Child Aspirations are for.

maxing a child skill without the aspiration, might not give them a boost to skill building, but what it does give them is a headstart at building those skills
  • Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    To get your teeth grinding upon realizing that they are useless skills. :lol:
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    In my game they are kids for 7 days and during that time they mostly go to school, make homework and sleep. In the weekends they do kids stuff like playing and working on their skills. Only once did that produce a super adult: a natural born vampire who learned extremely quickly.
    I think it's great when children can work on skills, it gives them a vantage when they grow up. It's nice to start playing young adults that have more to them than the ones you create in CAS to start a game with. It's also realistic.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CourfeyracCourfeyrac Posts: 81 Member
    Yeah, it is pretty pointless. I don't really pay much attention to children's skills, to be honest. I think having child skills max out at 5 rather than 10 would make it a lot better, that way they could feasibly get a head start on multiple skills but without having the "superadult" thing that someone else mentioned.
  • Options
    matthewb82matthewb82 Posts: 49 Member
    In my game they are kids for 7 days and during that time they mostly go to school, make homework and sleep. In the weekends they do kids stuff like playing and working on their skills. Only once did that produce a super adult: a natural born vampire who learned extremely quickly.
    I think it's great when children can work on skills, it gives them a vantage when they grow up. It's nice to start playing young adults that have more to them than the ones you create in CAS to start a game with. It's also realistic.
    I'm thinking too of Sims 3 with many expansions. Once you had the tablet and could learn skills while at school, my Sim child would be maxed at everything by the time she was an adult.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm thinking too of Sims 3 with many expansions. Once you had the tablet and could learn skills while at school, my Sim child would be maxed at everything by the time she was an adult.
    I have all expansions and the tablet but that I didn't know :o
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KaiKai Posts: 132 Member
    I think its cool my kid finished his aspiration in motor and now has a new trait "physically gifted," which allows him to build adult physical skills faster which I thought was cool!
    img
  • Options
    Courfeyrac wrote: »
    Yeah, it is pretty pointless. I don't really pay much attention to children's skills, to be honest. I think having child skills max out at 5 rather than 10 would make it a lot better, that way they could feasibly get a head start on multiple skills but without having the "superadult" thing that someone else mentioned.

Maxing out most of the child skills do open up several Normal Skills.
    I think the only one that doesn't do that is Active.
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    Kuypers125 wrote: »

They do give Children a way to boost their skill building.
    That's what the Child Aspirations are for.

maxing a child skill without the aspiration, might not give them a boost to skill building, but what it does give them is a headstart at building those skills

I suppose I just don't want to have to complete the aspirations in order to unlock the skill boosts. Sometimes I like to focus on skill building alone, rather than jumping through the hoops the aspirations have for me. It would be nice if sims could also earn the various skill boosts passively by maxing the associated skill during childhood. I guess I just want more routes to take to reach the same conclusion; more open and varied gameplay. I got to a point where I'd completed all the kid's aspirations once and felt like I was just repeating myself. It's just a tad linear for my liking. As it is, without the aspiration rewards, maxing the child's skills only allows your sim to start at the bottom of adult skills and start grinding a little sooner.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited March 2015

They can play piano -- they just can't play guitar. I had a child Sim gain quite a few piano points before he aged up to Teen, then he was able to go make money from tips. (One reason I wish Sims Teens had their own savings accounts separate from the household account.) They also don't gain Fitness skill after maxing Motor. (I thought they could gain Video Game skill from maxed Motor, but it's actually maxed Mental that gets that.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member

Exactly.
    While I agree that it doesn´t make sense to not have them gain knowledge in certain music instruments, at least the current system is better than having an unrestrained ability to increase adult skills as a child
    (although I for my part would have solved this differently ... by allowing them to increase adult skills, but decreasing the skill gain of kids and teens by so much, that even kids who concentrate on a single skill in their free time, as kids and teens won´t start with more than level 4 in this skill when they become young adults ... but I understand why Maxis did it the way they did ... psychologically by having a separate skill set that grows more rapidly, the player gains more sense of archievement [than s/he would get by just moving slowly through adult skills as a kid])
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    My sim kids just do their homework and play in the park and go for a swim. Sometimes they will practice typing. I think my Sims could be bad parents. :#
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I hope they drop the level to 5, it's such a grind to top one child's skill, which does not even transfer upon aging.
  • Options
    GoodFairyGoodFairy Posts: 205 Member
    Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. In TS2 I could even build remaining skills at toddler life stage! I don't like the principle of child aspirations. Every skill you build is useless unless you max it or complete the aspiration, which contains ALWAYS THE SAME goals! Child skills should somehow contribute to adult skills in each case. And aspirations should be more variable! In TS2 a sim, e.g. with the family aspiration had the chance of getting one of at least 7 different lifetime wants! This made the sims feel more unique. There should be more variety and randomness in the goals (stages) of the aspirations, like there are different goals for the social events.
    (*) My Origin-ID GoodFairy684 (*)
    You find my sims in the gallery tagged with #SimsFairy.