Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spoilery

Comments

• Options
    SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    I have to agree with everything @CathyTea‌ said about @Savannah‌'s latest chapter! It was AWESOME!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • Options
    DavidMCSessyDavidMCSessy Posts: 1,148 Member
    If you don't read anything from others, you will feel like me in this thread.

I hear about so many interesting things you guys write about and my time here is pushing and not even letting me create my own stuff.

I feel somehow guilty, but I know I can't change it. I can, but it would be both a loss in my both personal and professional life.

If there was another method to get to know your stories besides reading, I would have invent it!

Beware, reading without reading is coming! *insert evil laugh here*
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @DavidMCSessy hahaha! Reading without reading! Don't worry, Martymor! During the days of TS2, I was too busy personally and professionally to keep up with SimLit, and then this fall, I went back and read all the great stuff I'd wanted to read! With luck these stories will be around forever!

If I had to choose just one to recommend to you (at this moment), though, it would be Just a Click away. You'll adore the graphics, I think you'll love the plot, and it's short and very well-written. You can just buzz through it and love every moment!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @CathyTea I actually started reading it and I liked it, but I stopped as I do with every other story that I start reading. I noticed that stories that are presented directly through pictures hold my interest for the longest.
    I have read all of Kaleeko's stories, except Desperate Sims, which is, of course, a fully written story. I think I have a problem with this format.
    But what am I going to do when I will have to face this same format myself pretty soon?
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    @DavidMcSessy In other words, you like Comics! Well, that's fine! That limits what you need to keep up with, too!

(I found myself looking at screenshots and thinking of them in terms of comics the other day, too--thanks to you and Kaleeko! Maybe one of my next projects will be a comic.)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @CathyTea Haha, that would be so nice; and a great responsibility at the same time. I remember how much time it took me to develop my own visual style. I started from nothing, with Kaleeko's advices and help and now I'm here where I finally know what to do with this comic!

And I hope that someday the love for full stories will come for me. :)
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    SavannahSavannah Posts: 174 Member
    @CathyTea - Thank you, that is so flattering and makes me feel all humble here. I was concerned about whether people would really dislike the chapter if I didn't go the obvious route - to the point where after I had it all typed up and in preview, I was thinking "Oh no oh no oh no.. what if what if?" but then I thought to myself that this is where I had intended to go with it all along and remembered what you said about being authentic to yourself as a writer and tada! There you have it xD

When I wrote the chapter before (chapter 6), I was thinking of this thread and how fun it is and so I thought I would sneak in a teeeeeny little clue for what was coming to see if anyone would take the bait about Zack and when no one did I put on my little evil bwahahaha laughter to myself lol. Seriously, I love this thread and speaking of, I am going to link to it in my opening post in the thread and I hope that's okay :] Thank you so much for reading and commenting and participating in the story as it progresses <3

@SummerFalls - Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Like I mentioned before, I wasn't sure how people would react to it so I am pleasantly surprised to see how welcomed it is, especially after we have watched the cute friendship between Lexi & Dalton from day 1
  • Options
    @Jes2G re. Discovering Juliana

I think Harold's marriage to Harriett meant that he had to sacrifice his piano career in exchange for his happiness. But, I guess now he blames Harriett for letting him sacrifice his piano career.
    OR, Harold lost something dear to him and he stopped playing piano. And Harriett was the one who lost it.
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Oh noooo, not the spoilery thread **quickly scrolls down**
    lol, sorry. I like surprises, so I never come here. BUT...seeing as how we're here, I suppose I will comment on your guesses :wink:

Your first guess is intriguing. I hadn't thought of that! I could change it, but I don't think I will lol.
    Your second guess is very good!

Before I say anything else, I guess I need to understand the "rules" of this thread lol. Am I supposed to tell you what it is now??
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    Nope, you don't! It's like posting your theories and waiting until the answer is posted.

This forum is basically preventing spoilers in story threads xD
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
  • Options
    Savannah wrote: »
    but then I thought to myself that this is where I had intended to go with it all along and remembered what you said about being authentic to yourself as a writer and tada! There you have it xD

When I wrote the chapter before (chapter 6), I was thinking of this thread... Seriously, I love this thread and speaking of, I am going to link to it in my opening post in the thread and I hope that's okay :] Thank you so much for reading and commenting and participating in the story as it progresses <3

Super sweet! I'm so glad that:

a) you love the thread, and

b) it doesn't feel awkward or stultifying to get specific comments from readers about your work, their experiences while reading, and their ideas about your craft.

When I was in a graduate writing program, it was such an adjustment for all of us to have serious readers discuss our work in front of each other! I always wanted to hide under a bushel when it was my turn to have my work discussed! And some students commented that it really interfered with their writing--but still, it is part of a long tradition for writers to share their work and discuss it with each other.

It was in that experience (which happened at the same time as I was teaching Freshman comp), that, thanks so some incredible writing and teaching mentors, the authentic voice was pointed out to me--and I discovered that, while feedback from others is great, we've got to not let that be our motivation--we need to write to express our vision, not to get "likes" and positive comments.

Sometimes--especially when we're being truest to ourselves--it may feel like no one gets us. But at those moments, the few readers who do get us will be able to hear a voice which resonates with them in expressing ideas and experiences that they thought no one else had ever thought or experienced.

• Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Nope, you don't! It's like posting your theories and waiting until the answer is posted.

This forum is basically preventing spoilers in story threads xD

Ahhh, ok.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    @Bilmonaghan LOL! and snigglegort! So, I was reading through, saw Bryon with his book there in the kitchen right at the edge of Allison's space, and I'm thinking, "Wow. Bryon is really showing his interest!" And then, I read your line about Allison realizing that was his move! Yeah, I guess if one wasn't a loner, it might not be as obvious as Bryon fears it is!

I adore that Eisley quotation. I remember the first time I read it: a real mind-pop! It was a strange realization to understand that there were others that had similar thoughts and experiences. Whenever I would talk with friends or family about experiences and thoughts like that, they'd look at me cross-eyed. I thought that there were some experiences, such as that frog eye-contact experience, that either no one else had or no one else would discuss. So to read as an older child/younger teen about an adult engaging in that same experience... I know that Eisley's wasn't exactly the same, for he's writing more about the extension of imagination and empathy, whereas, to me, it wasn't an extension so much as an actual connection, but still... close enough. (He's more of modernist than I am.)

Every time I read "Morcucorp," I say to out loud, "Oh, Plum," and I get this sinking feeling in my stomach. (Like for example, I'm wondering if we need to just cancel all of our scheduled sessions that Annette and we are doing...)

(I adore the shot of Allison doing the dishes and seeing her through the bubbles!)

Sooo... healthy dose of paranoia.... glimmer of transcendence... hint of adventure and misadventure yet to come.... slowly brewing romance.... Wow! This chapter has everything!

• Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    ... Bryon with his book there in the kitchen right at the edge of Allison's space, and I'm thinking, "Wow. Bryon is really showing his interest!"
    You know how RL toddlers like to play near other toddlers but not with other toddlers? It kinda reminds me of that.
    I adore that Eisley quotation ... mind-pop!
    You're lucky you got to it so young! I was around 30 when I read it. My mind-pop moment wasn't too long before that, watching Bill Moyer's interview Joseph Campbell for like six hours.
    I adore the shot of Allison doing the dishes and seeing her through the bubbles!
    Yeah, it's great having her back to take pictures of. lol

Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    You know how RL toddlers like to play near other toddlers but not with other toddlers? It kinda reminds me of that.

It reminds me of high school.
    I was around 30 when I read it. My mind-pop moment wasn't too long before that, watching Bill Moyer's interview Joseph Campbell for like six hours.

Whoa! Big scary! Hero w/ Thousand + Eisley! Reminds me of college! It's like suddenly gaining game-awareness... is the world suddenly bigger or smaller, and where am I?
    Yeah, it's great having her back to take pictures of. lol

She so loves your camera... or your camera so loves her!

• Options
    SavannahSavannah Posts: 174 Member
    edited February 2015
    @CathyTea - I do love this thread very much and it's also a way for me to pick up other stories that seem interesting simply based on all this spoilery business lol.

I don't find it awkward but it is for sure an experience that makes me feel very grateful to have found such supportive readers. I always welcome comments about my work, constructive criticism included. One of the things I love about writing is how it is a never ending process and there is always something new for me to experience, and to learn.

I envy you for being able to do the writing program, it must have been an amazing experience. I can imagine how you must have felt standing in front of a live audience but I am sure it became less and less awkward the more you were exposed to it. I used to feel that way about general public speaking but I was put in a situation where I quickly had to overcome it and it is no longer an issue. English is not my native tongue so it took a while longer for me to warm up to the idea of speaking to a larger group of people after I moved to the US - but as with everything else, I figured I migth as well dive into it!

Your thoughts around writing to express our vision is so wise, and so very true. I also love when I am able to pick up on stories where writers really have found the driving force in their stories and it is one of the reasons why I am seemingly always hunting for more stories to read :]
  • Options
    @Savannah Thanks for your kind words! Your English and writing are amazing. One of the writers who taught at the program I went to, Ursula Hegi, had English as her second language. She said that she revised her work often--and I felt, as a reader, that her coming to English as a second language brought an awareness of the language that native speakers often don't have. She was very aware of the feel and the weight of each word, and it's evident in her writing. Also, like you, she's able to achieve an interesting and engaging rhythm to her prose--something that often eludes native language writers, unless they're writing poetry or have a keen ear.

So, in the writing program, fortunately, we never had to stand in front of a group and read our work. Instead, we sat in silence around a table while the other writers/students tore our work apart, word by bloody word. :o

• Options
    I am not a native English speaker either, but I've been learning English since I was in 2nd grade. I still have problems with expressing myself in my stories, because fiction is just another language.

Last time in English classes, we had to describe a painting, and today I got my result and the teacher said that my description is the best that he has ever read in his teaching years (and he's old, so, Lol). I am really not trying to brag. I am sharing this, because I think that storytelling helped me improve the way I express myself in everything, and I was so happy this morning when he congratulated me in front of the whole class.

I felt nice, because I work hard every day and I never expect anything...
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited February 2015
    Just joining the conversation as a non English native speaker, (English is not even my second language). Having to learn multiple language like English, Japan, Germany, plus my national & regional language, I know what it feels. This morning google translate just ask me why do I use him/her/it/noidea. And I wish there's an option saying that I open you because I wanted to write sims storytelling.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    I somehow envy native speakers for being able to express themselves in their own language so that everyone can understand them. I mean, I can write a great story in Bulgarian, but no one here will understand it.
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options

Last time in English classes, we had to describe a painting, and today I got my result and the teacher said that my description is the best that he has ever read in his teaching years (and he's old, so, Lol). I am sharing this, because I think that storytelling helped me improve the way I express myself in everything, and I was so happy this morning when he congratulated me in front of the whole class.

I felt nice, because I work hard every day and I never expect anything...

Congratulations, Marty! I am not surprised. Writing comes, actually, from looking, perceiving, and thinking. You are able to look in ways that many others are not able to. And you are able to think deeply about what you see and then to present it through words.

In some ways, writing in a language that is not your native language allows you to be even more aware of how words are tools--a medium for expression--and so just like you would select the exact right pastel to make a swath of violet in a drawing, you can select just the right word to express what you see.

Writing and storytelling are wonderful ways for us each to present our own individual ways of experiencing the world--when you write about a painting through your eyes, then your readers can see it with you. Sometimes, it's delightful when we see that others look at the world in a different way than we do. And then sometimes--Wow! We find that the experience that we thought was our own individual quirky way of experiencing aligns with another and then! Holy cow! We are not alone!

Congrats, half plum! I'm so excited to see what you'll be creating in your awesome life!

• Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    I somehow envy native speakers for being able to express themselves in their own language so that everyone can understand them. I mean, I can write a great story in Bulgarian, but no one here will understand it.

Hmm, I envy you for being able to write story in your native language, I once wrote story in Indonesian which is my native language, and no one understand any of the jokes thrown in. It's always weird that some people actually like my English joke.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    Hmm... using the fact that this thread is called "Spoilery" I will let myself to tell you something about my upcoming comic "Life in Bubbles".

It will be fully unscripted! The pictures will be the product of my everyday playing the family. Not that I play everyday, but I felt like this family had a lot to share with the universe! They are so interesting!

5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    AkramA wrote: »
    Hmm, I envy you for being able to write story in your native language, I once wrote story in Indonesian which is my native language, and no one understand any of the jokes thrown in. It's always weird that some people actually like my English joke.

My boyfriend (who I think is super funny, but who doesn't consider himself to be funny) studied Russian in college. He was so ridiculously funny in Russian that he had to stop telling jokes because he feared that his teacher would have a heart attack from laughing so hard!

There are definite advantages to coming to a language later, rather than having it as one's native language.

• Options
    Hmm... using the fact that this thread is called "Spoilery" I will let myself to tell you something about my upcoming comic "Life in Bubbles".

It will be fully unscripted! The pictures will be the product of my everyday playing the family. Not that I play everyday, but I felt like this family had a lot to share with the universe! They are so interesting!

Super fun, Marty! I call this style of writing/simming "wrimmingfun". That's my mash-up word for "writing" + "Simming" = "so much fun"

Wrimmingfun is generally unscripted and the co-creation of Sims and Simmer! It's an art form all on its own