Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need some help picking a Graphics Card (GPU)

DasakalaDasakala Posts: 126 Member
edited February 2015 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hello Simmers! I need some help, I was wondering if you could suggest a Graphics Card that will work with these settings; (I know my computer is junk, sigh...) and I just want one to run Sims 3 from medium-high with Advanced Rendering on, that's all, even medium is very fine for me, whatever the price. My Power Supply is 300W so that's an issue too, I know, I need A LOT of upgrades but, I want to start with this one and then move on to other ones, can ya help moi?
System Specs in Comments (Pics)
It's just like boiling a frog! If you try to throw a frog in a warm pot it'll hop right out! But if you put it in mild water and warm it up slowly, the frog won't understand what's happening until it is too late!

Comments

• Options
    1)

1466182_1572929869645471_8594440888611189367_n.jpg?oh=048260cfc311ae94f236d8bd40b228c0&oe=55957A9C&__gda__=1435475190_814beb530d85d4f43b83d7dd584a3f5d
    It's just like boiling a frog! If you try to throw a frog in a warm pot it'll hop right out! But if you put it in mild water and warm it up slowly, the frog won't understand what's happening until it is too late!
  • Options
    2)

10347625_1572929866312138_3155414212102566360_n.jpg?oh=bbfea46c23a0760e2d7f6d471e57212b&oe=558FA5FF&__gda__=1431310272_08e8ba0dd8b548170838964c944407f3
  • Options
    altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Hi Dasakala, sorry I'm not very technical so can't help, you might want to post this in the technical section, there are some great people there who will be able to give you advice. Hope you find the info you need :)
  • Options
    Oh I must've skipped it! I will, thank you!
  • Options
    Hello Simmers! I need some help, I was wondering if you could suggest a Graphics Card that will work with these settings; (I know my computer is junk, sigh...) and I just want one to run Sims 3 from medium-high with Advanced Rendering on, that's all, even medium is very fine for me, whatever the price. My Power Supply is 300W so that's an issue too, I know, I need A LOT of upgrades but, I want to start with this one and then move on to other ones, can ya help moi?
    System Specs in Comments (Pics)
  • Options
    1)

1466182_1572929869645471_8594440888611189367_n.jpg?oh=048260cfc311ae94f236d8bd40b228c0&oe=55957A9C&__gda__=1435475190_814beb530d85d4f43b83d7dd584a3f5d
  • Options
    2)

10347625_1572929866312138_3155414212102566360_n.jpg?oh=bbfea46c23a0760e2d7f6d471e57212b&oe=558FA5FF&__gda__=1431310272_08e8ba0dd8b548170838964c944407f3
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Based on the components in here, I almost have to ask - do you know if your computer has PCI-E slots in it for the GPU? I think your machine looks "current" enough it should but it's still worth asking as that will drastically affect your GPU options.

The 6150SE is an integrated GPU from 2004 - pre-dating some of the current powerful standards supported. You might be looking at having to hunt down an AGP card.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited February 2015
    Because of TS3's age, most medium-range GPU's would probably do the job.

What I recommend is setting a budget, then looking for cards around that price. Then check its rating on www.game-debate.com. It can also tell you if it's compatible with TS3. According to the site, a GeForce 7600 GT is good enough, and it has a 2/10 rating (probably due to its age). Given that it's 2015, you should probably try something newer around the $60 range.

For wattage, there are calculators online that can help you tally up the usage of all your parts. :)

P.S. For sustainability reasons, after getting a new GPU, I recommend saving up for a new rig altogether. The modern gaming world isn't kind to dual cores and 2 GB RAM. Hard drives that are a few years old are also more likely to fail, at least in my experience.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

What I recommend is setting a budget, then looking for cards around that price. Then check its rating on www.game-debate.com. It can also tell you if it's compatible with TS3. According to the site, a GeForce 7600 GT is good enough, and it has a 2/10 rating (probably due to its age). Given that it's 2015, you should probably try something newer around the $60 range.

For wattage, there are calculators online that can help you tally up the usage of all your parts. :)

There's going to be great options available but given the potential age of this machine, we need to verify what kind of GPU standard it supports before a good set of recommendations can be made.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    There is a Pcie 16 (Or something like that, but yes it does have that, I asked a lot of times)
  • Options
    Crackseed wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

There's going to be great options available but given the potential age of this machine, we need to verify what kind of GPU standard it supports before a good set of recommendations can be made.

That's a good point. I don't know much about compatibility across parts, but I do know that your motherboard needs to have the correct slot for the GPU you're buying.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello,

To be honest, the easiest option for you (but perhaps not the cheapest) is to buy a new computer, as this computer is pretty much so old that any upgrades wouldn't be worth it, and probably actually more expensive in the long run than getting a new computer.

I say this because graphics card compatibilities are very weird - your motherboard has a Gen 1.0 PCIe slot, whereas most graphics cards these days are Gen 3.0 PCIe. Now technically these graphics cards are backwards compatible, but I have personally seen issues where there have been problems often related to the PCIe generation differences.

You could try a GT 630, GT 640, GT 730 or GT 740 - these should all need less than 300W, and usually aren't too expensive. But I cannot say for definite that they'll be compatible. :\

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    Those are my options too, or a GT 520M that one runs Sims 3 well, I'll do some extra research and try to decide on one, which of the four do you suggest?
  • Options
    Ugh - had a big post and it got eaten somehow or noted as needing approval >_<
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    It does, I've seen myself
  • Options
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Ugh - had a big post and it got eaten somehow or noted as needing approval >_<

Had that happen to me too. I hate it when it does that. @_@

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Alright, let's try this again - @icmnfrsh listed a great site that can help. Also check pcpartpicker (google that) for some excellent guides and parts pricing/compatibility stuff.

You may get away with keeping the 300W but I suspect if you want a solid card you'll need to bump up to a 450-500 overall.

I'm biased towards Nvidia but I feel their drivers are just stronger as well as having better hardware. However, AMD (ATI) is still excellent and has some pretty bonkers pricing on some of their mid-range cards.

NewEgg/Amazon generally have great deals and good support/reliability when you're ready to order unless you have some local places you trust/carry good selection of what you'd need.

Keep in mind you may get away with finding a relatively new card for a great price but it may not give you maximum performance because your system may have other bottlenecks in it such as RAM timings/speed, Motherboard BUS speed and even your HD (Is that a SCSI in there? Haven't seen a SCSI in a long time! xD)

Edit: Yeah, if you put an external site link in your post needs approval I guess? Have like 2 of them waiting lol - just decided to strip the link.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Double posting, but again - @icmnfrsh raises a good point that your system may simply need a total refresh. Are you comfortable telling us what kind of spending total you have to work with? You'd be surprised what kind of system you can build these days for amazing prices :)
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    You only have 1.8GB of useable ram. That's a big problem. You ideally need 6 preferably 8.
    Honestly a new pc makes far more sense.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Believe me, if I could I would >_>
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The thing is, even if you put the best possible card in that machine, you still wouldn't get the performance you want in the game from it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    its early and its so very cold :) so i may be missing something here when you say you could get a 520m are you saying you could buy one because the 500 series is rather old

if you can play the game even in windowed right now then i say just start saving up for a complete new build there is nothing salvageable even the case maybe too small depending on the card you save up for. sorry