Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When our Powers Combine...

I must say I'm a bit disappointed about the new expansion announcement. It's like EA just went ahead and combined Open for business and Ambitions. If sims 2 and sims 3 had a baby it would be sims 4 Get to Work.

I was hoping for something new! A game with a bit more depth than what I have experienced in years past. I loved world adventures in sims 3 because it was new and refreshing. Exploration solving puzzles way cool.

I would love to be surprised again. I would love to buy an expansion that I have never played before.

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Get To Work is way different than the Sims 2: Open For Business or Sims 3: Ambitions... Plus, there is a chance that Justine Keaton is going to be in it. <3
  • Options
    Emilym3Emilym3 Posts: 539 Member
    I fail to see how it is going to be way different.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    In the previous business expansions, you couldn't work as a doctor or police officer (without being it rabbit-holes or off-screen).
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Emilym3 wrote: »
    I fail to see how it is going to be way different.

We have never been inside a hospital or a police station. Plenty of interactions seem new.

Most people were lukewarm on WA and most fans wanted a business EP for the last 5 years.

I think out there EPs fit better later. Give people what they want first.
  • Options
    If anything Get to Work really offers less. Ambitions had twice the professions. as I recall the doctor in Ambitions went around town giving shots and offering pills. He got out of the rabbit hole one in a while. The police officer is not new. You could be a detective in ambitions investigating crimes etc. There is nothing new.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    OFB might have been one of the most requested packs on the old Sims 3 forums (there was a petition with probably about a thousand signatures or so). They tried to put OFB-style play in with the content included with Midnight Hallow (store world) but it fell short; apparently a true OFB-style pack was incompatible with the open world. For folks who never played Sims 2 OFB, this is going to be something "new".

Plus you've got the active careers, two of which (scientist and doctor) were previously only rabbit hole careers --well, we did get a little bit of active career with doctor when they had to go out and vaccinate Sims. And it looks like the Scientist career might be borrowing just a bit from the bot building from Sims 3 ITF. It's got a lot of potential. They could even reuse the programming to add additional active careers in future packs, like stylist or decorator, or maybe if we get a Showtime style pack (though please no Katy Perry tie in or Simport!) singer, magician, etc.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    People have been clamoring for an Open for Business type EP all throughout Sims3's run. I think combining these two great EPs is a stroke of genius, myself. And, there is a twist to it. We've never really been able to follow a constable around and actually jail the perp. I would love it if were we to get a lawyer career and be able to follow them into the courtroom for some drama there, too. I fully anticipate EA/Maxis to pretty much do what they did in the Sims3 run, which was to intersperse newer versions of familiar EPs, with ones we've never explored before. WA, for instance was completely new. Some thought it a remake of Bon Voyage, but I say it was superior to it. And while I found it fun, as well, some really hated it. (Can't think of a better way to spend a honeymoon, for my Sims than to send them abroad, myself.) Combine that with how the masses are really beginning to pan Sims4, and I think EA/Maxis is working overtime to mend their already damaged P.R. .
    Personally, I'm excited for GTW.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    If anything Get to Work really offers less. Ambitions had twice the professions. as I recall the doctor in Ambitions went around town giving shots and offering pills. He got out of the rabbit hole one in a while. The police officer is not new. You could be a detective in ambitions investigating crimes etc. There is nothing new.

If you say so...

PS: It has business too. So it is more fleshed out than Ambitions.
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    I must say I'm a bit disappointed about the new expansion announcement. It's like EA just went ahead and combined Open for business and Ambitions. If sims 2 and sims 3 had a baby it would be sims 4 Get to Work.

I was hoping for something new! A game with a bit more depth than what I have experienced in years past. I loved world adventures in sims 3 because it was new and refreshing. Exploration solving puzzles way cool.

I would love to be surprised again. I would love to buy an expansion that I have never played before.

I have no issues with the concept, they are desirable staples for many, myself included but, I do feel three careers and the option to run a shop of cosmetic differences only is to limited. Not saying it needs to contain vast amounts of new careers, but 3 and the shop is too little for my taste.

If they had even added just a couple more from the survey I would be far more interested in the product, its not really a matter of cost either at this point, $20, $50, $100, a product is worth what people are willing to pay for it, to me its almost, (and I know this will sound ludicrous to some) a matter of principal, they said they changed, they said they wont gouge any more, they certainly have made some steps in the way of content patches towards showing a less aggressive posture over content but, its a pack, once its done its done, they don't often (ever) revisit themes within the life cycle of an iteration of the game so I lament the loss of potential to make the world more believable, god forbid, fun for those us us that prefer the life sim aspect and not so much the fart jokes aspect.
  • Options
    kayleigh_j_pkayleigh_j_p Posts: 27 New Member
    Quit your moaning. Jeez.
  • Options
    I loved OFB myself and yes I'm looking forward to creating my own stores and selling whatever I want. There is a lot of freedom to be creative and I like that. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long to see a newer idea for an expansion pack...I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member

You have to remember that the sims team is listening to simmers. All throughout sims 3 simmers had been asking for a business EP, like we had in sims 2. Ambitions was kind of/not really what simmers were asking for. Even after ambitions simmers were asking for more business stuff. Now, they gave the best of both worlds; the OFB from sims 2 and the Ambitions from sims 3. How is this going to work? We won't know until we play it, which is why I'm reserving those thoughts until I do :)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    People have been clamoring for an Open for Business type EP all throughout Sims3's run. I think combining these two great EPs is a stroke of genius, myself. And, there is a twist to it. We've never really been able to follow a constable around and actually jail the perp. I would love it if were we to get a lawyer career and be able to follow them into the courtroom for some drama there, too. I fully anticipate EA/Maxis to pretty much do what they did in the Sims3 run, which was to intersperse newer versions of familiar EPs, with ones we've never explored before. WA, for instance was completely new. Some thought it a remake of Bon Voyage, but I say it was superior to it. And while I found it fun, as well, some really hated it. (Can't think of a better way to spend a honeymoon, for my Sims than to send them abroad, myself.) Combine that with how the masses are really beginning to pan Sims4, and I think EA/Maxis is working overtime to mend their already damaged P.R. .
    Personally, I'm excited for GTW.

I liked the going abroad -- but I hated that it was tied to exploring and other "quest" activities. I would have liked to have a portable easel or the sketchpads we got in Uni Life with the ability to actually draw some of the landscapes. I would have liked more activities that weren't tied to tomb exploration -- the martial arts skill in China was my favorite. I would have liked my Sims to be able to buy a vacation home without having to get the visa level all the way up to the top which could only be done by going through all the tombs.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    iskender299iskender299 Posts: 35 Member
    The EP deal is great!

I didn't bought Outdoor Retreat because i do not enjoy mountains too much ( maybe i'll buy when there will be some beache or spa ).
    But Get to Work is great :D
  • Options
    ShepherdmoonShepherdmoon Posts: 1,486 Member
    Would you rather they split it into 2 EP's and charge us double? Or is your beef less with it being two things in one, and more with it being not "new" enough? Based on the trailer, they are giving us tons of new interactions that have never been done before. I think it must have took them alot of work to code up all those details in just those three careers, so I'm not surprised they didn't offer more. The businesses adds enough, I think, to make up for this. I am seeing something brand new in this, as we've never had careers as active and involved as this, if the tone of the video is to be believed.

World Adventures was my favorite EP too, because it was so different and so fun to solve puzzles. It sounds like most people didn't like it, though, so sadly I don't think they'll ever go back to something like that. I don't know what else they could do that would be completely and utterly different from anything we've ever seen before.
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options
    I dunno. Just my wishful thinking for something we haven't seen before. Sometimes I feel like fans are so stuck in the past (pets! Seasons! Toddlers! ( daycare! Oh I know! add toddlers to this expansion! no? Ok.) That it makes it impossible for the sims to go anywhere new.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    I hope Sims can become burglars. <3
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I dunno. Just my wishful thinking for something we haven't seen before. Sometimes I feel like fans are so stuck in the past (pets! Seasons! Toddlers! ( daycare! Oh I know! add toddlers to this expansion! no? Ok.) That it makes it impossible for the sims to go anywhere new.

Are you saying Toddlers should never be included again? Because if that's the case then sims needs are always the same, they have houses and a sky too, which has always been there ...

And what's wrong with Seasons? You don't want any weather in your game? :\
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    I think TS4 is getting a "Space travel" expansion!

I have nothing whatsoever to base this on, just a gut-feeling based on the way the hoods work in TS4. They designed it perfectly to incorporate "going to space" (planetary sub hoods), there's that huge-plum telescope already in the game and I think I read they are adding aliens (I think? Did I read that right?).

Mark my words, your TS4 sims are going to space at some point! You heard it here first! :)
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    I want to see my sim in an orange jumpsuit so badly.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Seamoan wrote: »

I have nothing whatsoever to base this on, just a gut-feeling based on the way the hoods work in TS4. They designed it perfectly to incorporate "going to space" (planetary sub hoods), there's that huge-plum telescope already in the game and I think I read they are adding aliens (I think? Did I read that right?).

Mark my words, your TS4 sims are going to space at some point! You heard it here first! :)

Like ITF but with a closed world? A bit like if and when there is a University EP, it will be like TS3's University Life, but with a closed world, maybe more like TS2's version. Sometimes I forget I am living in the 2010s with all these closed worlds again :disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    LaAbby wrote: »

Are you saying Toddlers should never be included again? Because if that's the case then sims needs are always the same, they have houses and a sky too, which has always been there ...

No not at all. Of course I want weather, however I think that could be instigated in a patch rather than taking up an entire expansion for it...again.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member

No not at all. Of course I want weather, however I think that could be instigated in a patch rather than taking up an entire expansion for it...again.

If it's a patch it'll probably only be just the weather, no interactions or holidays to go with. I think weather would just be too big of a patch ..

I see it more as a GP instead.
  • Options
    Seamoan wrote: »

Space exploration would be fun. It would be cool to create our own planets.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

They won't give free patches for ever though, I mean they are already moving to paid content, Game Packs and Expansion Packs, most of the free 'patches' where to compensate some of the cut, but partially developed content and to compensate there being no store.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg